CAP 4 CAP 4 - Part 4 (Style Bias Poll 2)

Style Bias

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Pure Utility Pokemon
Description: There is a serious lack of Gravity, Rapid Spin, Wish, non Dark weak Trick Room, OU viable Heal Bell / Aromatherapy, Encore, Memento, Non Dark weak Perish Song, Psycho Shift, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Me First, Snatch, Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Tailwind and Haze Pokemon in our lovely Metagame. I don't know what type, what stat distribution or even what kind of Pokemon would effectively use all those, but I want to build a utility Pokemon for the useful yet less used utility moves. If I had to narrow the field a bit, I would emphasize Tailwind, Gravity, non Dark weak Trick Room, Rapid Spin, Wish and Encore. The normal utility moves like Reflect and Light Screen go without saying.
Primary Typing: Poison
Secondary Typing: Ground
Style Bias: Mixed

Please check out exactly how these are calculated before voting, please!
Information about the formula is located here.
A utility for calculating the ODB is located here.

I want it to be geared towards defense, but I don't know enough about how it's calculated to make an informed choice yet. I'll put it off until more experienced peoples vote.

I voted Moderate Defensive. Seeing some of the examples listed (especially Spiritomb) and having used them, I think that's about the right defense a utility should have.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
All of the base stat spreads I fiddled around with came out at around -10, si I'm happy with anywhere around there.

The best way to base your vote is to use the second link to make your "Perfect" base stat spread and vote for whatever matches that.

A vote that isn't completely one sided...hoorah! A rooted for equally offensive and defensive, a Nidoqueen with a differentnt moveset is not what I want.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well I voted for between -5 and 5 since that is how my preferred stat spread is biased.

Sunday, I'd be allowed to submit a legal stat spread if I'm nominated even though my current stat spread might not conform to the voted PSB, ODB and/or Rating, right?

I voted dead in the middle, as I couldn't figure out exactly what I wanted.
That is, until X-Act mentioned that their stat spread, which I love, fell in this range.

So thats what I want.

Voted for -5. Considering that Nidoqueen had limited support options and crappy stats, I'm pretty sure it won't be hard not to make a clone.

Frosty

=_=
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I also voted for "Equally in offense and defense".
I want something defensive like Spiritomb, but with great speed, and I assumed that the +5 - -5 range was the most appropiate for that.

I filled in a 110/50/80/75/80/110 spread, it came out -4.8 which is equal in offense and defense. So I voted the middle option.

voted for moderately defensive. Some moderately defensive Pokemon (Donphan comes to mind) can take hits impressively and still hit stuff hard. You guys will probably want higher speed which will take away from the attack power if moderately defensive wins, but regardless the spread I came up with (100/70/95/55/95/105) falls nicely into these lines.

My set was, just barely, slightly towards defense at -5.8.

It was 100/52/100/85/95/103.

There are a plethora of physical attackers in the metagame already, so I went with something more biased towards special. Of course, you've got to have that base 103 speed so you can outspeed even Jolly Garchomp if you've got a +Spe nature, too.

Of course, its attack and special attack can be swapped so it isn't completely walled by Blissey (which, if it has Encore, I don't think it should anyway). Then the spread would be the same except with attack and special attack swapped (100/85/100/52/95/103).

Base Stat Total: 535

Voted -10 through -20. Only because Tentacruel is in that group and it's acting kind of like a model for this pokemon for me. It also helps that my stat spread barely made it in there.

I voted for in the middle because I tried this spread:
105/55/90/85/90/115 and it was about -1.2?
Even when I bumped up its attack to 75, that number stayed the same.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My thumbnail spread was 90/70/90/70/90/105. That's the general idea of how I think the stats should be allocated. That came out "Slightly Defensive". Even when I bumped the speed up to 140, it was still "Slight Defensive". So, that's what I voted.

Ah! >_<
If we want a good speed stat and usable offense, I'd suggest only voting for Equally Offensive/Defensive or Slightly Defensive.
I voted for equal.

I urge for a vote for Equal or Slightly.
I'm trying to do spreads with Swampert-ish defenses while having an attacking stat above 80 and a speed stat around 110/115.
If we have Moderate, I don't think I can do it.
Here are some persuasive reasons to vote for the two areas I suggested:
Reason why we need Speed: Crobat is a great "utility" Pokemon thanks to it's speed. It can lead a team, status/taunt, then leave with U-Turn. It has moderate defenses, which is why it's in BL right now. I want a speedy, bulky Pokemon that can take hits unlike Crobat, but also get something done in the same, speedy manner. This Utility Pokemon would work better if it has the speed to outspeed common threats like Salamence, Garchomp, Lucario, etc and use a utility move. We need at least 105 in Speed, and that's pretty low if we want to be able to outspeed something like Gengar or Infernape. So I propose no lower than 110 Speed
Reason why we need Offense: Tentacruel works well with 80SpAtk, so I'm not complaining if we go around that. But it's very hard to make a "fairly" created defensive spread that has usable offense and meets the ODB criteria of "Moderately Defensive". This thing isn't going to have too great of a STAB move in the form of Sludge Bomb/Poison Jab, so we're going to have to rely on their Ground counterparts. Basically, you're screwed if you face something like Skarmory or Bronzong. I doubt it will have any more noteworthy attacking moves that provide such power as its STAB. That's why we need the attacking stat to be in this (arbitrarily proposed) range: 75-95. That will make it a decent stat while hindering its capability to sweep and focusing its job on what we created it for: Utility.

Again, I repeat, these are the reasons why you should vote for Equally in Offense and Defense or Slightly Towards Defense.

Boy am I glad I read that other thread on the discussion of the possible stats, because this poll gives (at face value) no real hint as to the speed of either side of the bias. The general consensus of the other thread was, we want some kind of speedy utility. Which is gotten by voting for #3, -5 to 5. Shame it's in 3rd only...

Personally, I think it should go something like high HP and moderate defenses, or average HP and higher defenses. Least in the sense of its tankiness.

After all this is supposed to be a utility poke, doesn't mean it has to be a tank.

I'm so glad "Slightly Towards Defense" is winning.
"Moderately Towards Defense" just destroys any possible spreads of mine

But may I ask why this poll is open for two days?

Edit: Spoke too soon. I guess this will stay close for a while.
But I still say making a "Moderately Towards Defense" Pokemon really takes away from its ability to use utility options with a possibly lower speed.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I think it's easy to make a Pokemon be Moderately Towards Defense and make it also fast. You just need to lower its Atk and SpA. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)