Defining the NU Tier

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest I thought you referring to Age of Kings and myself when you were calling people idiots, and that would not be very much appreciated. Sorry for any confusion.

Here's my question: This tournament is not being permitted because UU is going to be fixed. When is UU going to be fixed?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Here's my question: This tournament is not being permitted because UU is going to be fixed. When is UU going to be fixed?
We're hosting it off-site, so it's still going on.

It'll be fixed as soon as the ladder is up and there's lots of cycles and stuff, but don't direct those questions here.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
I apologize for bumping this thread, but it's important. There's a news section now!

djkhdjhuiewhejkh I've been so busy with school and everything. This is letting everyone know that sign-ups are extended to Wednesday, September 23rd. I apologize to everyone who's been excited and anticipating tomorrow! However, come hail or high water, that Thursday, Round 1 pairings will be assigned. So that's the definite day.

Once again, sorry, and good luck to everyone!

Two questions. We're playing on Smogon's server, right? That means event moves are legal? Also, I'm assuming we're ignoring Platinum moves for this tourney, correct?

Ok, so there’s some Magikarp grade competition that are definitely in NU. But how do we determine what stays in UU and what goes to NU?
Ha, Magikarp could even be in UU/Bl. Just give it a Focus Sash and Flail.

I have a quick question though, what is Limbo?

Pokemon that should definetly be NU

NU List

Ariados
Banette
Bastiodon
Beedrill
Butterfree
Castform
Chatot
Cherrim
Chimecho
Corsola
Delcatty
Delibird
Ditto
Dustox
Electrode
Farfetch'd
Fearow
Furret
Girafarig
Huntail
Kricketune
Ledian
Linoone
Lumineon
Luvdisc
Magcargo
Masquerain
Mawile
Mightyena
Mothim
Minun
Parasect
Pachirisu
Purugly
Raticate
Seaking
Spinda
Stantler
Sunflora
Swalot
Torkoal
Unown
Volbeat
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Wormadam

Are you just posting that list for confirmation of the NU pokes in the current tier or suggesting pokes without testing yet?

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
Two questions. We're playing on Smogon's server, right? That means event moves are legal? Also, I'm assuming we're ignoring Platinum moves for this tourney, correct?
Yes to both.

Responding to the other posts in a moment...

@Ryu: Limbo is the proposed tier between UU and NU, which functions as a NU BL. All Pokemon who do not fall in the top 75% of UU, but considered too overpowered for NU, will fall into Limbo.

@Roserade Raider: At this time, we're just using everything outside of UU's top 75%....we will ban as necessary until we come up with a good list.

Electrode is UU according to the stats, so... =/ I don't see how it could be "NU".

Smogon's server has updated itself with Platinum changes, we're still ignoring them? Is it our responsibility to know if NU pokes got move tutors? Because I couldn't tell you I know the movepools of NU pokes...

Pokemon that should definetly be NU

NU List

Ariados
Banette
Bastiodon
Beedrill
Butterfree
Castform
Chatot
Cherrim
Chimecho
Corsola
Delcatty
Delibird
Ditto
Dustox
Electrode
Farfetch'd
Fearow
Furret
Girafarig
Huntail
Kricketune
Ledian
Linoone
Lumineon
Luvdisc
Magcargo
Masquerain
Mawile
Mightyena
Mothim
Minun
Parasect
Pachirisu
Purugly
Raticate
Seaking
Spinda
Stantler
Sunflora
Swalot
Torkoal
Unown
Volbeat
Whiscash
Wigglytuff
Wormadam
Minun but not Plusle. Why?

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I dunno, his list seems completely subjective and arbitrary and no rationale is given for anything anyway... not to mention that this whole thread is pretty much meaningless at this point.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You want to define the NU tier? Okay.

The NU tier is a list of all Pokemon that are not in the Uber, OU, BL and UU tiers. If a ban list for NU is created, then NU would not have the Pokemon in this ban list as well.

So really, the question is not how to define the NU tier, but how to define all the other tiers. NU would then have the simplest definition of all: it'll be the remaining Pokemon.

OU and UU would be defined in the same way as per usage statistics. Their size is the only subjective thing about them (the "how rare is rare?" problem), but, other than that, they're completely objective tiers.

What aren't settled are the Uber tier, BL tier and, if it's going to exist, the ban list for NU. These take much longer to settle as they're not mostly objective, like OU and UU, but mostly subjective. I've been researching for a long time to try to objectify these tiers as much as possible, but I'll be the first person to state (with objective proof) that this is impossible to do completely. The Base Stats Ratings and the average damage that all the types take are a start in this direction, but, in the end, someone must take a definitive stance at some point and say "these Pokemon are Uber/BL/(banned from NU), and you must accept these tiers no questions asked". Yes, either that will happen, or else these tiers will never be stable.

x-act you have objective proof that there's no way to "automatically" (with an algorithm for example) classify pokemon by tier/strength?

that must be dissapointing =(

Generaly, I agreed with the list, exepting Agrron, and articuno.

Yeah, cuno has a 4x weakness, and sucky movepools. But, it can make awesomness from what little it has.

Amazing GARCHOMP FREAKING COUNTER. Survives hits and hits with ice shard. Think suicune with roost.

Aggron. Metal burst, nuff said.

Just saw my post after a couple of days...

Pika 25- meant to put plusle down, kinda forgot...

Everyone else- sorry if my post was a waste of space :( I'm not very experienced at pokemon in general.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Generaly, I agreed with the list, exepting Agrron, and articuno.

Yeah, cuno has a 4x weakness, and sucky movepools. But, it can make awesomness from what little it has.

Amazing GARCHOMP FREAKING COUNTER. Survives hits and hits with ice shard. Think suicune with roost.

Aggron. Metal burst, nuff said.
For one, Garchomp is uber, so let's not beat that dead horse again, shall we? Anyways, if Articuno and Aggron were so awesome, wouldn't they be used more? The whole point of usage based tiers is to objectify what in the past was a subjective listing. If Aggron and Articuno aren't used enough to be OU or UU, they must not be as good as you say they are, or else they would be used more. The problem may not even be that, it could be that they're completely outclassed in tiers. As a physical tank, Gliscor outclasses Aggron by a mile in typing, stats, and movepool. As for Articuno, it's typing hinders it, and Pokemon like Cresselia, Celebi, and Zapdos do it's job better. In UU, Steelix outclasses Aggron even more now because of Curse and Gyro Ball; Altaria has much better typing and movepool than Articuno. So how can you say these Pokemon deserve to be higher than NU/NU Banlist when they aren't used enough to prove it?

First of all, the fact that Garchomp is uber and that Articuno is a great counter is what his original point was (not that I agree with it). Secondly, we will be banning certain Pokemon from NU for being too powerful, so saying that "if it's not used enough in UU it HAS to be NU!" is completely pointless and undermines the entire point of this thread.

Aldaron said:
Well Chris, "they're just doing it for fun."

So let's not rain on their party, rofl.
Yeah seriously, who would want to play Pokemon "for fun" rofl.

Go look at UU for a second and how broken it is, tennisace, or how much "arbitrary fixing" had to be done to OU before it was even playable. Usage-based tiering is still a fallacy this place needs to drop.

Anyway, we were talking about that NU list, which is flat-out junk. Just look at some of the matchups the pokemon on it will completely define.

Banette:What that isn't a Normal type in NU can take a STAB hit from this? Mightyena after an Intimidate?

Bastiodon: Oh HELL NO. This thing sees plenty of play in UU, and what's ever going to break it in NU?

Huntail: Swift swim, tons of attacking power, physically bulky. Honestly, what more do you NEED? Okay, it can't take hits on the special side, but if it's built right it won't need to very often, as it can set up on the switch, outspeed, and kill a lot of NU's special attackers.

Torkoal: You want to put the Heatran of UU into NU? O_o This guy sees a lot of play; he's no Camerupt but he has his role. For one thing, spinning.

For once, I agree with X-Act, he's actually making sense: the higher tiers' designs need to be finalized. Or at least started. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)