CAP 15 CAP 4 - Part 8 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I've decided that while -fly names are not my favorite, I'm struggling to pick anything remotely decent out of mystical religious traditions. I'll keep trying but for now, here are other -fly options beyond my Purifly, and the already mentioned Glorifly and Mistifly:

Sanctifly, Deifly, Crucifly, Terrifly, Horrifly, Petrifly.

I quite like Sanctifly. Still working on other ideas.

BMB/anyone, can you give c&c on -fly names?

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll keep thinking. By the way, when is the deadline? So i know when to submit my final submission.
Hmm, hadn't thought of that. I imagine I will put up a 24 hour deadline later today, so at a guess I'd say you have 25-30 hours left. Either way, it's probably best to make a Final Submission now and then edit as appropriate.

Anyway, other names I like since my last post:

Aurumoth

Yeah I think this is my favourite name posted so far, in all honesty. Latin root, not quite pretentious enough to be inaccessible to the ordinary member, and suitably conveys both majesty and entomology. We have gold, moths, and "aura".

It also sets up a pseudo-legendary chain quite nicely as per bronze -> silver -> gold. But mostly the above.

Apocalyx

Not terribly fond of it since calyx has been integrated as an English word, and can be used to refer to a lot of things, none of which are related to arthropods. Still, I have to give credit where credit is due for the imaginative name, and this is probably the best portmanteau in the whole thread.

----

BMB/anyone, can you give c&c on -fly names?
I should note here that I'm not fond of entries with "fly" in them. As in, really not fond. Mainly because flies aren't exactly the most majestic or psychic or really... anything at all, bar being irritating. Beetles have strength, moths and butterflies are traditionally metaphors for the soul and the spirit, and so on, but flies don't really mean anything. Also it's a nasty sound to my aural palate, or rather, I find it difficult to read around them, if that makes sense. I'll probably include "Raflyel" because that is so unbelievably awful that it is actually good (and isn't a simple wordplay, unlike "Glorifly" or "Mystifly").

-----

Anyway, that said, here's my shortlist:

Code:
Aurumoth
Behemoth
Magnamoth
Mothereal
Prymoptera
...and the following will be shortlisted assuming they post a Final Sub:

Apocalyx
Divinimoth
Deusect
Lepidivine
Motatron
Retriarch
Raflyel
Sephimoth
Samaoth

That said, do note that there are only seven places on the slate, and as such, quite a few of these will have to be culled to make it. So basically shortlist =/= slate.

Feel free to argue or whatever it might be but really if you can find a convincing objective argument for names I'll be pretty surprised.

Carry on.

Lumora
luminescent, aurora
Wow. I really like this one, despite not having a clear allusion to CaP 4's Bug typing. However, I think that the way it's written now doesn't fully... expand on either of the elements in name. I think some thing like "Luminora" could sound a little better. It's your submission, though, so its your call.

I really like this one.

Litcell?
Wismoth?
Wislite?
I personally don't like the word moth anywhere close to the name, but i'm no expert.
edit: nv, I can't compete.

Well, I'm going to try again. I hope BMB was right about the whole "psyche" thing.

Final Submission

Psychēcies

Psyche (butterfly, Ancient Greek) + acies (insight, Latin).

Psyche also references the whole psychic thing (duh) so I'm surprised I haven't seen more people using it. Acies is being used to reference the risk part of CAP4 and because it flows well.

Edit: ninja'd by BMB, hopefully it won't cause any problems

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
C&C on the shortlist for Bug's sake, I guess. IMO, the only two that are any good are Behemoth and Aurumoth. Thankfully, both are quite good. But really, most of the others are just not pronounceable, are too arcane, and/or just frankly aren't very Pokemon-ish to me at least.

I looooove the bronze>silver>gold progression we could get with Aurumoth.

If we go with Behemoth, I'm proposing size related small>medium>big Pygmoth and Normoth, perhaps?

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
There seems to be support for this, and I like it too, so I'll make it my...

Final Submission

Glorifly

"Glory" + "fly"

The word "glory" is commonly associated with angels and winning and also seems to connote golden colors, which are a big part of KoA's design.

I should note here that I'm not fond of entries with "fly" in them. As in, really not fond. Mainly because flies aren't exactly the most majestic or psychic or really... anything at all, bar being irritating. Beetles have strength, moths and butterflies are traditionally metaphors for the soul and the spirit, and so on, but flies don't really mean anything. Also it's a nasty sound to my aural palate, or rather, I find it difficult to read around them, if that makes sense. I'll probably include "Raflyel" because that is so unbelievably awful that it is actually good (and isn't a simple wordplay, unlike "Glorifly" or "Mystifly").

Well come in here to voice this concern and the great BMB has beaten me to it XD. Anyway i greatly second this sentiment and believe we should tend towards more elegant names, and would like to throw my support behind Retriarch and KoA's own Chryseraph, both flow nicely and just sound appealing to me. I don't know, my two cents for you.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
People here and on #cap seem to like it (even if BMB doesn't), so I guess I'll make it official:

Final Submission: Seraphid
(Origin: seraph + aphid)

A slight change to a previous entry I posted.

Miramoth (meer-uh-moth)
Mirage + Miram + Moth

Mirage is a nod to CAP's Illusion ability.

Miram is a star in the Perseus constellation, which speaks to CAP's celestial or heavenly nature. Also, although it's not explicitly in the name, Miriam is the sister of Moses, which could be another nod to CAP's angelic/heavenly nature.

Moth captures its Bug typing.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Kind of a minor note but

If you're using Psychē then the "ē" is kind of important, otherwise it's just "psyche" which is a different word altogether.

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
I suppose I'm not imaginative enough with names really, so i'll make myyyyy

Final Submission

Chryseraph

Combination of chrysalis and seraph, as the folded form of this holy buggy has the wing armors encasing its body and it seems fairly simple enough.

I'm throwing support behind Glorifly, Seraphid, Aurumoth, and Apocalyx as well.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I suppose I won't put a final submission (yaaaay, already-used names), but I will put support behind Seraphid, Glorifly, Chryseraph, and Magnamoth.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Final Submission

Celestcula

"celestial" + "opercularis"

celestial portrays a reference to the heavens or the sky, obviously being important due to CAP 4's wings and KoA's integration of a 6-winged angel. opercularis stems from a bit of research on my part. i wanted to find what seemed to be the most dangerous moth, taking into account CAP 4's offensive prowess, and what i came across was Megalopyge opercularis. more commonly known as the southern flannel moth or pussy moth, the danger doesn't necessarily come from the moth itself, but its caterpillar's fur-like spikes that excrete a venom that causes excruciatingly painful skin irritation. i realize that the only part that is actually being used in the name is "cula", but i feel that if anything else was used the name would become too complex.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Final Submission

Mirarch

Mirage (referring to its Illusion ability) / Mirror (Mirrors have their role in the supernatural world) / Miracle + Arch (as in Monarch or Archangel, both signifying its status of power). Also a pun on the word "Mirage".

Arcadeus
(Arcane + Deus)
Sounded too mighty

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
24 hour warning

I've just discovered that two of my core principles when it comes to CAP have clashed, and as such I need time to think about how I am approaching this. Get your Final Submissions in quickly.

Final Submission

Miramoth

---------
Mirage + Miram + Moth:
Mirage references CAP's Illusion ability. Miram is a star in the Perseus constellation, which speaks to CAP's celestial/heavenly/seraphic nature. Also, although it's not explicitly in the name, Miriam is the sister of Moses, which could be another slight nod to CAP's seraphic nature.

Final Submission

Cosmopod

Cosmos + pod
I decided against making a post but I came up with this last night and thought it was quite good. Cosmopod instead of Cosmipod as in cosmonaught. (Apparently there's a computer program with this same name but too bad)

Also ITT: Latin seraph seraph seraph Latin seraph

Final Submission

Fabuloth

Fabulo- from Fabulosus: Mythic in Latin and since we went with a psychic type with BST 600 I felt like this would fit.

-oth from the obvious Moth...

Wow...so many awesome names...

As for me...

Maluxia Sounds like a good Final Submission.

I got it from combining the Latin words for: Magic (Magia) and Light (Lux). To me, it has a very powerful quality, while also incoperating a feeling of mystery. The "Mal" part sounds kinda evil, while the "Lux" envokes an image of light and goodness, which I find a nice contrast. There is no real bug-mention, but I don't think it needs it. Finally, Seraphim are thought of as angles of such brilliance, merely looking at them could blind you, hence the "Light" part.

That's what I got. Comments? Concerns? Praise...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)