what do you think makes people stupid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is not a thread to personally attack other users
this is not a thread for me to rant about what kind of people i find stupid
this is a thread for everybody else to rant about what kind of people they find stupid and why

(if you're in highschool everyone is stupid we get it man)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^^ Christopher Hitchens thought he was smart. He called himself smart. He dissed other people for not being smart enough.

And he happens to be one of the smartest mother fucker who graced planet earth.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
houndoomsday i would argue that none of those inherently make a person stupid. you can try to be cool AND be cool; i would argue that most people who are cool, try to be. arrogant people are mostly stupid, i'll give you that, but you don't have to be humble to be smart.

people who try to be things that they aren't are more confused than stupid, and being confused doesn't make you stupid.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
^^ Christopher Hitchens thought he was smart. He called himself smart. He dissed other people for not being smart enough.

And he happens to be one of the smartest mother fucker who graced planet earth.
Hitler was a Buddhist therefor all Buddhist s are hitler

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
And also being smarter than a bunch of primeapes who haven't even colonised a planet yet does not mean you aave the answers to everything

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
people who assume they are smarter than you because they are older
Oh yes.
People who think that being parents automatically means that they are always right.

"I ate more salt than you ate rice!"
Oh hell ya, so you eat like 3 bowls of salt everyday?

People who are actively against learning and education, this tends to be the defining characteristic of 'stupid people.' For example, people that hate documentaries, people who hate museums, people who don't see the point of school or a specific subject, people who hate scientists, ect.

I believe the term is 'anti-intellectualism' if I remember correctly.

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If being smart was such a great thing, the world would have more intelligent people-- it would be a trait greater selected for by evolution (where as "moderate intelligence by human standards" seems to be the optimum point-- smart enough to function, but dumb enough not to go off the deep end; or have only 1 kid, or none at all).

As of right now, I'm not at all convinced that higher than average intelligence is universally a good thing. Whether it is a major asset or not, kind of depends on how it manifests itself, the type of intelligence, and whether the person in question has the other social, communicative, and emotional attributes needed to really use that intelligence to its full potential (ie. if you act like everyone else is dumb, you won't accomplish much--humans are creatures that achieve the most through cooperation).

If being smart was such a great thing, the world would have more intelligent people-- it would be a trait greater selected for by evolution (where as "moderate intelligence by human standards" seems to be the optimum point-- smart enough to function, but dumb enough not to go off the deep end; or have only 1 kid, or none at all).

As of right now, I'm not at all convinced that higher than average intelligence is universally a good thing. Whether it is a major asset or not, kind of depends on how it manifests itself, the type of intelligence, and whether the person in question has the other social, communicative, and emotional attributes needed to really use that intelligence to its full potential (ie. if you act like everyone else is dumb, you won't accomplish much--humans are creatures that achieve the most through cooperation).
I'm not sure you understand how evolution works. Stupid people reproduce at a much higher rate than smart people. I don't even need to waste time giving you a source for this because it is common knowledge. There are plenty of things that are "great" that have been phased out through evolution. It has nothing to do with being "great" or not. It's all about reproduction and survival.

@Poppy I was posting types of people I find "stupid" as in lame, annoying, etc.

this is a thread for everybody else to rant about what kind of people they find stupid and why
the above kinda made me think it wasnt intelligence based, but a subjective judgement of character

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not sure you understand how evolution works. Stupid people reproduce at a much higher rate than smart people. I don't even need to waste time giving you a source for this because it is common knowledge. There are plenty of things that are "great" that have been phased out through evolution. It has nothing to do with being "great" or not. It's all about reproduction and survival.
Depends on your definition of "great". My definition of "great" isn't people who make history books; to me greatness is in finding daily happiness, and to me that's heavily connected to leaving successful offspring behind. Nature as a whole is so hell-bent on having living things focus on "survival" that I think it is a very important goal in life. A trait that doesn't directly connect with that isn't so "great" in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)