Gen 6 Simple Questions, Simple Answers (XY Ubers Edition - read before posting a thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not used to the Uber metagame, but i need to know this little thing.
In the Ubers Viability thread, she's in low B tier, while Chansey got an exclusive tier for saying she's unranked and outclassed by many.
Why Blissey in this tier is considered a better choice than Chansey?

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
In the Ubers Viability thread, she's in low B tier, while Chansey got an exclusive tier for saying she's unranked and outclassed by many.
Due to the large presence and dominance of shadow tag forces like Gengar in the Ubers meta, Blisseys ability to hold the shed shell makes it more viable.

Blissey can hold Shed Shell which let's it escape Mega Gengar and Gothitelle, meanwhile Chansey has to hold Eviolite to not be outclassed by her big sister Blissey so she can't escape Mega Gengar and Gothitelle.

Due to the large presence and dominance of shadow tag forces like Gengar in the Ubers meta, Blisseys ability to hold the shed shell makes it more viable.
Oh, i never guessed that. I thought it was for the slighter offensiveness, but i was wrong.
Thanks for the clarification!

That's true. Although, it also handled Mewtwos not carrying Fire Blast or Shadow Ball, but for the most part, I see what you're saying and I agree.

Any suggestions as to what I should replace Aegislash with to beat GeoXern? I heard Jirachi's not that bad of an idea.
I think Aegislash gets an unfairly bad rap cause folks expected too much out of it early gen. It's a solid mon just limited and will thus limit your teambuilding severely if you use it often. Jirachi is not a good replacement, it's pretty much a poor man's Aegislash just with SR (which is admittedly helpful but you aren't solving the problem of limited builds going to Jirachi).

Klefki and Scizor are the two most common and flexible Xern checks.

Keep in mind Mega Scizor usually wants a secondary Xern check and/or rain. Firstly, this is because HP Fire Xern is quite commonplace. Additionally, Mega Scizor is often used to Pursuit trap Gar which is often (at best a 50/50) going to be a dbond trade in the best case scenario. Lastly, Mega Scizor tends to be seen on more bulkier builds that don't really focus much on always applying pressure so there'll be a fair number of times where xern will setup and not be in Bullet KO range. (doesn't mean you can't build a team that says otherwise)

Klefki is a god, just make sure you don't lose to Blissey and your team is good to go. (in other words, you can down a boosted GeoXern after paralysis)

There's more options that are more team reliant like spdef Kyogre (weak to Thunder so get a backup), Ferrothorn (needs rain), Excadrill (needs sand), Ekiller (needs offensive pressure), Thundy I (see ekiller + keys), Poisonceus (Defog works for all variants but CM poison is weak to the occasional Psyshock), and a few more I'm probably forgetting. Just check out edgar's team building compendium thread and mix and match your xern check based on the team's needs.

I think Aegislash gets an unfairly bad rap cause folks expected too much out of it early gen. It's a solid mon just limited and will thus limit your teambuilding severely if you use it often. Jirachi is not a good replacement, it's pretty much a poor man's Aegislash just with SR (which is admittedly helpful but you aren't solving the problem of limited builds going to Jirachi).

Klefki and Scizor are the two most common and flexible Xern checks.

Keep in mind Mega Scizor usually wants a secondary Xern check and/or rain. Firstly, this is because HP Fire Xern is quite commonplace. Additionally, Mega Scizor is often used to Pursuit trap Gar which is often (at best a 50/50) going to be a dbond trade in the best case scenario. Lastly, Mega Scizor tends to be seen on more bulkier builds that don't really focus much on always applying pressure so there'll be a fair number of times where xern will setup and not be in Bullet KO range. (doesn't mean you can't build a team that says otherwise)

Klefki is a god, just make sure you don't lose to Blissey and your team is good to go. (in other words, you can down a boosted GeoXern after paralysis)

There's more options that are more team reliant like spdef Kyogre (weak to Thunder so get a backup), Ferrothorn (needs rain), Excadrill (needs sand), Ekiller (needs offensive pressure), Thundy I (see ekiller + keys), Poisonceus (Defog works for all variants but CM poison is weak to the occasional Psyshock), and a few more I'm probably forgetting. Just check out edgar's team building compendium thread and mix and match your xern check based on the team's needs.
Thanks so much for your reply :)

I've noticed Aegi works pretty well on more of my stallier teams as opposed to my more offensive ones, so I'll limit Aegi to just those. Klefki sounds like an awesome mon to use against it on my more offensive teams, especially since it can hit Xerny back with Fairy Aura-boosted Play Roughs while also being able to T-Wave.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Anyone help me on who I should add to my team?

Have skarmory, talonflame, Garchomp, and absol
Unfortunately none of those are really viable in Ubers except Skarmory and maybe Talonflame. I would take a look at the Sample Teams thread and the Teambuilding Compendium to get a better idea of which Pokemon are viable in Ubers and to perhaps get started towards building a good Ubers team.

I mean, the bottom line is Aegi beats Xern but that's pretty much the extent of what it does. There are ways to beat Xerneas without sacrificing so much.
Just saying, Aegislash is almost the only counter to all xern sets (except the very bad sub/hp fire geoxern, which even then is a 50/50), apart from that with pursuit it can work as your trapper for gothitelle and unsuspecting mega gengar, with shadow ball its one of the few counters for stalltwo, and with toxic+king's shield it's a big annoyance to the opponent's team thanks to its great typing. It's typing also lets it wall some pokemon like mm2x lacking eq (taunt + 3 attacks with stone edge instead of eq) or cm+will o wisp and i think cm+refresh arceus fairy.
I think all of these combined together should make Aegislash a very viable candidate for a standalone xern counter. I would sooner use aegislash as my xern answer than use Ho oh+mega scizor+arceus poison and still get swept by psyshock+hp fire xern after stealth rock.

Is there any kind of guide for HO in ubers this gen? I'm not used to this playstyle in this tier, so i'd like something to read about it.

How did people fuck up so hard on the MGar Suspect test? I read through most of the posts and the core argument for banning it (removal of choice) got down to the very core of Pokemon...smh

Anyways, what makes Klefki such a good mon in Ubers? I can see how it's typing and Prankster would help it, but what Pokemon does it set up on, what sets make it so good, etc?

How did people fuck up so hard on the MGar Suspect test? I read through most of the posts and the core argument for banning it (removal of choice) got down to the very core of Pokemon...smh

Anyways, what makes Klefki such a good mon in Ubers? I can see how it's typing and Prankster would help it, but what Pokemon does it set up on, what sets make it so good, etc?
Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Block / Toxic
- Play Rough
- Spikes

It's one of the most reliable answers to GeoXern, as it can safely switch into it and priority T-Wave it, making it much easier for the rest of your team to deal with it. Any potential subs get broken by fairy aura boosted play rough. It can also switch into Yveltal fairly easily thanks to its typing, and thanks to Heal Block, it's one of the few support mons that doesn't get completely get completely screwed over by CM+Rest Gothitelle. It's just a really good utility mon in general, and it fills a role that's basically needed on every team.

Last edited:
HO may seem like a very easy style to use but it can also be beaten just as easily. Like a double edged sword HO teams are difficult to wield. If sacrificing mons to gain a minute advantage, putting constant pressure on your opponent so that they can't afford to make less than awesome plays or making teams with a little creativity to beat common stall mons are not things you are comfortable with, using HO won't be a recommendation.
IMO Balance or Bulky Offense is the best playstyle to begin Ubers. It has elements to beat stall, a very strong playstyle in XY, and also bulky mons that don't die easily to HO.

I've been using stall since i first started playing pokémon, so that's why i don't really know how to play offensively. I guess i'l take the advice from both you guys and create a bulky offense or balanced team first and then jump to other types of offense.

There's a detail on the EV spread and Nature of defensive Xerneas that I'm not sure of.

There are two things that I think is important to consider, at least for my team. One: surviving a +2 Sludge Bomb from Timid 252 SpA Darkrai. Xerneas can score a clean OHKO on 0/0 Darkrai after Life Orb recoil without any special attack investment.

But to do this will require significant investment on special bulk. At 248/252 and Calm, Xerneas can still take as much as 99.3% damage from +2 Sludge Bomb. So this means: 1) I can't have SR on my side of the field; 2) Xerneas must be carefully preserved as a Darkrai counter; 3) It can't do much else after dealing with Darkrai.

This makes me feel almost not worth it to invest this much into special bulk. I'm almost prepared to say "let something die and I'll revenge kill it".

Meanwhile, my team lacks a reliable physical sponge. Choice Genesect, Zekrom and occasionally E-Killer Arceus and offensive Groudon could be troublesome. This brings me to my 2nd point: should I eschew special bulk on Xerneas in favor of more physical bulk? Or, should the physical bulk investment be put on Dialga instead (which is using a specially defensive spread I copied off of smogon pokedex)?

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
There's a detail on the EV spread and Nature of defensive Xerneas that I'm not sure of.

There are two things that I think is important to consider, at least for my team. One: surviving a +2 Sludge Bomb from Timid 252 SpA Darkrai. Xerneas can score a clean OHKO on 0/0 Darkrai after Life Orb recoil without any special attack investment.

But to do this will require significant investment on special bulk. At 248/252 and Calm, Xerneas can still take as much as 99.3% damage from +2 Sludge Bomb. So this means: 1) I can't have SR on my side of the field; 2) Xerneas must be carefully preserved as a Darkrai counter; 3) It can't do much else after dealing with Darkrai.

This makes me feel almost not worth it to invest this much into special bulk. I'm almost prepared to say "let something die and I'll revenge kill it".

Meanwhile, my team lacks a reliable physical sponge. Choice Genesect, Zekrom and occasionally E-Killer Arceus and offensive Groudon could be troublesome. This brings me to my 2nd point: should I eschew special bulk on Xerneas in favor of more physical bulk? Or, should the physical bulk investment be put on Dialga instead (which is using a specially defensive spread I copied off of smogon pokedex)?
A spread you can use is 248 HP / 100 Def / 152+ SpDef / 8 Speed with a Calm nature, which i believe lets you take 2 Scarf Bolt Strikes after SR, as well as taking Espeed after SR too (i believe) and 2 Hydros from up to Lustrous Orb kia without Stealth Rock (and it can always miss!!). Sweep and K Legacy can tell you more about this spread and whether i got it right or not, i believe Sweep came up with it and RMTed a team with it

A spread you can use is 248 HP / 100 Def / 152+ SpDef / 8 Speed with a Calm nature, which i believe lets you take 2 Scarf Bolt Strikes after SR, as well as taking Espeed after SR too (i believe) and 2 Hydros from up to Lustrous Orb kia without Stealth Rock (and it can always miss!!). Sweep and K Legacy can tell you more about this spread and whether i got it right or not, i believe Sweep came up with it and RMTed a team with it
Thanks for your help! I just tried it out. Xerneas still cannot survive 2 Scarf Bolt Strikes even without SR. It can now survive +2 Adamant Extreme Speed though. And yes it has a very good chance surviving the two Hydro Pumps from 252 SpA Timid Lustrous Orb Palkia.

But Palkia right now isn't much a problem to my team, whereas Zekrom poses a greater threat. Do you have the link for Sweep's team? I think I might shift even more to physical bulk, but again, the benchmarks are hard to determine.

What were the results on the Gengarite suspect test? Last I can find is this.
Melee Mewtwo mentioned that the unofficial result is that Gengarite is not banned. They are supposedly still going through the paragraphs, but I suspect they're probably not going to bother announcing anything officially (since the result is "no change") until the next suspect test, if there is one.

What do you think of Tailwind on Ho-oh? (Tailwind/Brave Bird/Sacred Fire/Roost) I've beat several scarf kyogre switch-ins and in general if I'm slower I use tailwind first before any attack.

What do you think of Tailwind on Ho-oh? (Tailwind/Brave Bird/Sacred Fire/Roost) I've beat several scarf kyogre switch-ins and in general if I'm slower I use tailwind first before any attack.
You can do it but I prefer Thunder Wave since it is guaranteed to cripple any switch-ins and allow a teammate to clean up easier. Plus, T-Wave is permanent (unless they have a cleric) while Tailwind only lasts for 3 turns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)