Gen 6 Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire Mega Evo discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even with the Dragon Ascent movepool requirement, that's barely a drawback considering it offers a powerful, secondary STAB move for Rayquaza.

Edit: Apparently there's a Dragon Ascent tutor, so V-Create is seemingly still legal with it.

Well, okay then.

What makes Mega Ray so scary in ubers is the fact you have to face it with your own mega and 5 non-megas. I would feel much safer knowing I could use Mega Metagross, Diancie, Altaria and so in to take it down.
The same concept applies to the lower tiers.
Lol you gotta be on something pretty strong if you think OU players will feel "safer" when they've gotta face teams full of Mega Salamence, Mega Charizard X, Mega Gallade, Mega Metagross, and whatever other ridiculously powerful offensive Megas the opponent decides to use.

I see mixed Mega Rayquayquay being one if its best sets, imo. Dragon Ascent because it's required, Draco Meteor to hit the many Dragons in the tier, especially physically bulky ones like Giratina, Extremespeed for priority and V-Create for Steel types.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb (assuming the idea of Mega Rayquayquay holding items is true)
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Naughty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- Extreme Speed
- V-create

I see mixed Mega Rayquayquay being one if its best sets, imo. Dragon Ascent because it's required, Draco Meteor to hit the many Dragons in the tier, especially physically bulky ones like Giratina, Extremespeed for priority and V-Create for Steel types.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb (assuming the idea of Mega Rayquayquay holding items is true)
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive/Naughty Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Draco Meteor
- Extreme Speed
- V-create
the point is that M-Ray is unstoppable

no counters/checks

so actually any set of M-Ray is deadly enough

Rayquaza @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/Weakness Policy
Ability: Air Lock (becomes Delta Stream)
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant Nature
-Dragon Ascent
-Earthquake
-ExtremeSpeed
-Dragon Dance/Swords Dance

short version: ggwpgg

detailed version: Ok so this will probably be the most common Rayquaza set, and for good reasons, as it simply gives no chance to any team if he can setup.
Dragon Ascent is mandatory as you can't mega-evolve without it. It is pretty much like a Flying type Close Combat so it's not like it is a bad thing at all.
Extreme Speed is good priority, that even on DD sets, where it can seem rendundant, lets you bypass other priority such as Yveltal's Sucker Punch, as well as faster scarfers(Darkrai and Skymin). On Swords Dance sets it can OHKO many scarfers and faster Pokémon after a boost, making it a mandatory choice.
I think that Earthquake is better than V-Create, as Dragon Ascent already obliterates Ferrothorn and Scizor, while Earthquake deals with Heatran, Diancie, Arceus-Rock, Tyranitar and Zekrom, Pokémon that would otherwise stop a V-Create set. More important, it lacks any undesiderable side effect; seriously, one of the things I hated about Ray was the V-create drops that forced him out, preventing it to sweep. Dragon Dance is gud because it lets you outspeed more stuff, Support Arceus in particular, but the pumped up Extreme Speed makes Swords Dance just as good against almost everything except Arceus.
About the item choice: Life Orb and Lum Berry are obvious, one gives extreme amount of power, while the other makes setting up on stuff easier. Weakness Policy may seem odd, but it actually pairs pretty well with Delta Stream; despite the Delta Stream, the game still acknowledges Rock type moves as supereffective, not to mention Ice moves. Delta Stream allows Ray to do stuff like taking Ice Punch from Mega Blaziken and Ice Beam from Scarf Kyogre if at full HP, at which point the game might as well be considered closed if Ray sets up in the same turn.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
If this is real, people cannot play Battle Spot without getting horribly mutilated by Mega Ray+PDon jerks on Wifi.
Not like Battle Spot Free Battles was a good place to begin with.

Still though, I don't know how to react to Mega Rayquaza at this point. On one hand this is my favorite Pokemon. On the other hand giving a 780 BST Pokemon with great stat distribution and great ability along with the freedom to hold other items? Just on those terms alone this is beyond insane. I'm still eager to use this thing but I'm speechless at how absurd this is.

Also kind of related to Megas not named Rayquaza, Serebii confirmed that his Blaziken was not able to learn Ice Punch from the tutor despite the official site saying otherwise so...????

Also kind of related to Megas not named Rayquaza, Serebii confirmed that his Blaziken was not able to learn Ice Punch from the tutor despite the official site saying otherwise so...????
Maybe now can be an egg move? Tbh I don't know how much use it will find anyway.

I feel like Mega Rayquaza holding an item will change the tier drastically for the worse. It having access to Life Orb while having such good stats, ability and movepool just makes it the most solid offensive pokemon Ubers every had, you could compare it to RBY Mewtwo even. I'm having a very hard time thinking what can defensively or offensively check this monster. I think at this point it is undeniable that Mega Rayquaza is the most scary addition in ORAS, more than Primal Groudon/Kyogre or Mega Salamence. It's very easy to predict that this pokemon will dominate the Ubers metagame.

I feel like Mega Rayquaza holding an item will change the tier drastically for the worse. It having access to Life Orb while having such good stats, ability and movepool just makes it the most solid offensive pokemon Ubers every had, you could compare it to RBY Mewtwo even. I'm having a very hard time thinking what can defensively or offensively check this monster. I think at this point it is undeniable that Mega Rayquaza is the most scary addition in ORAS, more than Primal Groudon/Kyogre or Mega Salamence. It's very easy to predict that this pokemon will dominate the Ubers metagame.
well, what you can do is only trying hard to stop it set up

there is a scary fact , even a ditto will get beat by mega ray

+2 LO Espeed OHKO ditto without SR , but ditto can't OHKO Mega Raquaza with +2Espeed (since ditto got 300hp only and don't have 30% LO boost)

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
As it is on the sim right now, Mega Rayquaza must be holding Rayquazite. I don't speak for Nintendo (lol!), but I'm pretty sure it will stay that way.

On an aside, LatiAs-Mega (notice specified A over @)'s niche resides in being able to beat PDon :]

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 204 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Dragon Pulse / Draco Meteor

204 Speed outspeeds max speed positive natured base 90s. Rest invested in bulk.

I haven't yet run it through the calc (it's broken, damn it), but that set should be able to come in on anything un SD boosted and do some decent damage :]

i think the best way to stop mega ray at this point is to carry klefki + sabaeye, two pranksers status inducing in case of mega ray holding lum. from there a burned or paralysis mega ray can be disposed of with the appropriate move.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
i think the best way to stop mega ray at this point is to carry klefki + sabaeye, two pranksers status inducing in case of mega ray holding lum. from there a burned or paralysis mega ray can be disposed of with the appropriate move.
Any solution that requires more than a single mon is even more broken than Xerneas and Shadow Tag were last meta by default. As such, I can't viably see anything other than an at least semi reliable check such as Rockceus or Fairyceus being run for the time being.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So do we have video confirmation about Mega Ray being able to use items? Pictures aren't exactly the most reliable evidence nowadays.

So do we have video confirmation about Mega Ray being able to use items? Pictures aren't exactly the most reliable evidence nowadays.
well,in my opinion,if u still don't believe it is real, then just wait ~

since from the information revealing is already 24 hours , if it was fake , other gamers will call him out fastly

but sadly no , more testers confirmed that M-Ray do not need a stone to mega evolve

as previous information showed , GF said that the way for Rayquaza to mega evolve is diff from the other

so yea it is really unique , a move instead of a mega stone , and still be able to use items

and we thought M-Gengar and GeoXern were OP, we thought P-Don was the game changer in ORAS

You see i think GF had an epiphany that they can break the fuck outta these Box Legends cause they ain't gonna show up at VGCs anytime this century. We Ubers players are left to face the consequences and its really huge ass jaw.

Can M-RayRay run a bad set? More Bulk than a Mew, the offences of Deo-A and the speed of...well actually the only half decent thing with 115 speed is Raikou but still its quick.With priority and only 3 2x weaknesses and a Stealth Rock Weakness to whittle it down. Stack on to that priority, coverage, high base power moves and the dreaded item, and you got a broken mon even by ubers standards. a team without M-RayRay is a bad one.

The only negative is that as far as i know you can't run another mega (Praise Arceus....is that relevant now? should it be praise M-RayRay?) which is a blessing, could you imagine this thing paired with M-Gengar?

Stack on the fact you can still run the two primals, geoxern and a Arceus with this thing and....

After 1 DD, Adamant M-Rayquaza outspeeds anything equal or below Base 100 Spe. (Scarf) in the Ubers metagame. That means, Pokémon like Scarf Palkia or Scarf Xerneas are unable of rkill it. Futhermore, SE priority users like Weavile or Mamoswine are obliterated by +1 LO 180 Base Atk. Extremespeed (the priority on this is also superior...). This Pokémon is nearly unstoppable.

Art Vandelay

Banned deucer.
*checks thread*

music to my ears

I remember the joys of gen 4 when Ray used to be a thing. Gen 6 was meh tbh (Yveltal was cool though)

So now I need Klefki to priority paralyze something else in addition to GeoXern so the rest of my team doesn't get torn to shreads. Awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)