Resource ORAS Creative and Underrated Sets V2 (Replays required!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I think this set is cool

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 48 Def / 156 SpA / 52 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Glare
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

You would probably be able to make a better EV set for it, but the moveset is really fun to use. I didn't put HP EVs in because sometimes you need the seed recovery to be enough for another substitute, or to be able to recover 25%+ in a turn, which usually means the opponent switching out, where you can begin the whole process again. Switch in on something that's scared of you, and either glare, sub, or seed depending on what's coming; usually one of the former two. Start subbing until they get a full para or until you have no more health, and seed when you're behind a sub. This is the part of the set that depends on luck. Otherwise, you'll usually find yourself with free turns to fire leaf storms that gradually become destructive. If it doesn't sweep, it at least leaves the opposing team heavily crippled and dented.

A replay showcasing its prowess: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-334167043

So i kinda quit for a few months to take a breather and came back a few days ago ready to play and build again. Was looking for something to build around and when i was messing around in the 12-1300s i saw someone using an intimidate scrafty that was pretty freaking bulky so i mentioned the mon to snowy who suggested the following set to me so shoutouts and all credits to snowy!

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 240 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Rest
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off

This guy has pretty solid 65/115/115 bulk. While the HP stat isnt the greatest this is decently offset by the very respectable 115/115 def and spdef alongside 90 att. Max HP and SpD as this set revolves around using bulk-up to boost the attack/def stats, 20 speed to outspeed base 60s but you can add more if you want to speed-creep those 60s who add 4/8 speed or whatever.

This guy is a premier stallbreaker when paired in tandem with say a mew. Between the two of them they can virtually 2v6 almost any stall team currently in the meta. Rest combined with Shed Skin means that he stays pretty reliably healthy throughout the match and allows him to (if necessary) pp stall out mons like quag. Drain punch / Knock off for decent stabs, there are many other options but those two are probably the best but you can run qt things like super fang / toxic / taunt, he has a really deep movepool actually so feel free to experiment.

Calcs for bulk:

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 183-216 (54.9 - 64.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Needs 2 absolute max rolls to kill after rocks.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 226-268 (67.8 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

^ Sball does max 20% so needs 2 high rolls to KO you after rocks, not the best idea but it'll work if push comes to shove.

0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Scrafty: 264-312 (79.2 - 93.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Dont ever stay in on a clef lol but the calc is just to show a base 95 spa mon 80 bp stab move 4x effective doesnt KO you after rocks which is pretty sick

Pros:
Good bulk
Decent stab options
Stallbreaks fairly easily thanks to rest + shed skin
4x resistance to Dark, best knock off absorber i've ever found really
Virtually immune to statuses

Cons:
4x weakness to fairy
Pushed around by pretty much any fight/flying type unless they let you boost up to ridic levels (m-medi 1hkos even at +2 Def)
Requires a couple of boosts to really get going the same as all set-up mons

You can get around its weaknesses with teammates. I paired it with a stallbreaker mew and m-venu to take care of fighting and fairy types respectively and while torn-t can be a pain its one of those mons that will rarely cause you to lose by itself outside of hax. Went 30-2 with this team to 1640 and it wasnt until i reached like 1600 that i was like damn i should share this then i realised i only took two replays :(

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-336183714 6-0 stall. Literally didnt switch out Scrafty and just won

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-336186472 Opp could have played better but you can still see Scrafty potential

If these replays arent good enough i can ladder some more and get some better ones but hopefully they give a brief showcase of what scrafty can be used for.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-337664278

Another game at 1700 where opp forfeits before impending scrafty sweep lol

Last edited:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

pursuit mega beedrill obviously isn't something i created myself, but it's definitely an underrated set in comparison to standard AoA mega bee with drill run / knock off > pursuit. pursuit trappers have always been nice to have, but recently, they've seen a rise, especially in conjunction with keldeo. while mega bee isnt' gonna be used as a pursuit trapper to eliminate hoopa-u on balanced builds, it's fun to use with keldeo on more offensively inclined builds.

the way it works is pretty simple: when you have mega bee out against your opponent's lati@s, they'll be switching out most of the time fearing a super effective u-turn & mega bee's higher speed.

252 Atk Mega Beedrill Crunch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latios: 234-276 (78.2 - 92.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock (crunch was used because it equals pursuit damage on switch)
after rocks, you have a decent chance of outright eliminating your opponent's latios with an (usually) unpredicted pursuit from mega beedrill. i used trapping lati@s to benefit keldeo as my main example here because that's one of the main uses for this on offense. it can also apply to trapping starmie or w.e else ofc.

no replays because like i said before, this set isn't really "creative"... it's just kinda underutilized but it already exists ofc.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
I present to you the amazing cro-gross.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Power-Up Punch
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Metagross has amazingly useful typing for the meta and quite a strong STAB to spam. I wanted to use a bulky-ish set that had longevity and decided on a crocune set. Power up Punch is better than hone claws. I have used this thing to start busting through skarms, rotoms, ferrothorns, and even some sableyes depending on having a boost earlier or not. Not to mention this thing obviously does work with its 110 speed tier.

Yes, I have been forced out by keldeos from time to time. And yes it's unfortunate against bulky grounds. But I built a team around him, specifically with gliscor to lure and start weakening skarm/lando/chomp/hippo.

I like the set. Here's some replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-314033437
In this battle the set doesn't really shine but the battle shows, proves, that the team isn't one big gimmick. The team holds together against a very strong OU team. Metagross pulls through in the end by surviving bish's LO sucker punch comfortably and boosting off of it. I'm not sure if I won a speed tie in the end or if latios was HP fire variant. Either way slowbro could CM afterwards if i had died to draco.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-314513367
This is a battle where it really works out. In the end my opponent was banking on burning metagross. Metagross shrugs off status and starts the sweep. You can decide if the hax in this game mattered too much or not. In my opinion spdef gliscor has a perfectly valid chance of staying alive in front of defensive rotom-w and if it became clear i was losing then i would obviously switch out <_<. Someone else can do the math but I'm pretty sure 8 hydro pumps is not always enough to beat gliscor.

bonus replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-315330274
metagross clears through will-o mew mid battle and starts breaking through manaphy

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-315715033
metagross does not give a fuck
MetaCROss O_O
This set actually looks pretty promising, due to Megagross' high defense and resistances. I might try it out.
#NewMeta
...I'm sorry. I just had to.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Dugtrio @ Custap Berry
Ability: Arena Trap
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Endure
- Stone Edge

The first time I've thought of this set was with Ojama, and was actually in BW. A Pokémon that could trap the usual stuff, and even revenge kill Volcarona sounded just too good to pass on. Lately I've been trying to explore the options with Dugtrio in ORAS because trapping has always been something incredibly powerful, and yet often underused in building. There's something almost totally gamebreaking in the ability to remove on command some targets like Heatran or Tyranitar.
What's better here ? Well, you dont have to worry about removing hazards when you want to trap the threats faster than Dugtrio, and can activate full power Reversal easily.

With Endure and Custap Berry, you can safely get in the 1% range to use Reversal. The number of threats you can then remove skyrockets. You can trap ManectricM, CharizardX at +1, Heatran Scarf, Jirachi Scarf, Excadrill under Sand, Terrakion Scarf, Hoopa Scarf, RP DiancieM, LopunnyM... without having to save your Focus Sash. Obviously, all these targets could be removed with the usual set (except Jirachi, which only allows you to trap it if you avoid the Flinch, and LopunnyM), but you need two crucial conditions to be met. You need to have SR off your side of the field, and you need to actually be given the chance to trap the target. You don't get that chance often in a game, and the Custap set allows you to take this chance regardless of whether or not SR are up.

When it comes down to doing its job (=removing specific targets), this set outclasses the Focus Sash set given its ability to perform what you want Dugtrio to perform, in any given situation.
I think this set is simply better than the Focus Sash set, with the exception of some mind games (say you're against a CharizardX, and he knows you're Endure, he can start to force the 50/50 by using Dragon Dance). Still, for now it's a rather marginal set, and I doubt that you'll start to see CharizardX at +1 boosting on a 94% Dugtrio anytime soon.

For the last slot, a lot of options can be chosen. Stone Edge looks like the default pick to me, for its ability to delete Volcarona (usually pretty hard to cover), the coverage. You can consider Sucker Punch, Substitute ( for Bisharp), Stealth Rock and the myriad of other shitty moves that Dugtrio can run, if Volcarona is already handled by another member of the team.

As for the replay, check the SPL replay thread, where you can see the Kanto team putting work in SPL (Replay).

hey guys, so i thought it would do us some good if someone cataloged all of the underrated sets during this spl season so here ya have it n_n. i encourage others to do the same in case i missed anything. you can find replays for these mons in the SPL replay thread.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Curse

gastrodon is an often overlooked bulky water, but it is able to check/counter a majority of the metagame as well as hold its ground against set-up sweepers, most notably cm mons. as if that isn't enough, an immunity to twave and scald would make even the most godawful of mons viable, but fortunately enough our dear sea slug is relayed that role :heart: . the set is pretty self-explanatory, but having a legitimate answer to status as well as grass types is a must when using this on a team.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Roar

with people mindlessly spamming megabro and cm clef, cmroarcune is a very ideal win condition that can just set up to +6 and and phaze opposing set up sweepers with impunity. having roar in itself is also a nice way to check threatening physical atkers such as ddzardx or mega gyara. the normal crocune set with sleep talk is also viable, but is typically outclassed by keldeo or slowbro.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Trick / Magic Room / filler coverage

this mon is an absolute menace and has started to gain traction in the tour scene as of late. i honestly don't think there is a mon that is not 2hkod by this, but regardless it is an ingenious lure towards unsuspecting physical walls that are expecting the usual scarf or band set. while it does have unresisted coverage and 2hkos the entire tier, it has trick and magic room to allow it to switch moves to abuse it if need be. also shoutout Outrageous Fortune for magic room innovation ~_~

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 176 HP / 252 Atk / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch / Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Superpower / Ice Punch

same thing with hoopa, 2hkos the entire tier but has the added benefit of sand, defensive synergy and bulk, as well as pursuit. i still think scarf is ttar's best set, but you can't ignore band's ability to dismantle bulkier teams with ease, especially against those dreadful psychic spam teams. enough speed to outspeed skarm is the minimum benchmark, but you can run more for base 80s or something.

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire] / Hidden Power [Ice] / Earthquake

please don't use the garbage av set x_x. idk why people would waste tang's potential of being the bulkiest physically def grass mons of all time. sure you are ripped to shreds by special attacks (even resisted ones), but that role is better relegated to a team mate that can deal with those such as heatran, megalatias, slowking, etc. having a 4th coverage move is usually inconsequential anyway, as the utility of sleep powder far surpasses that. being able to effectively neutralize mons that would otherwise force it out or getting momentum on it is a huge boon that people often neglect. set is pretty straightforward and the last coverage is dependent on what your team is weak to and should cover.

Terrakion @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor / Iron Head
- Quick Attack / Toxic

terrak is a mon that gotten extended usage and for good reason. for the most part unresisted powerful af stabs as well as great speed is phenomenal for a mon. band set in particular can immediately pressure any team, as lando and slowbro can not switch in as much as they would like to. scarf terrak is a bit more underwhelming, but it is a solid revenge killer nonetheless. toxic is also an effective lure to wear down defensive walls should you go that route. adamant scarf is viable too i guess, unless you want to be outsped by +1 zardx but your call.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Life Orb / Splash Plate / Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald
- Secret Sword

idk if this set has been used in spl but it is a lot better than people give it credit for. while it doesn't have the pwr of specs nor the speed of scarf, it is a nice compromise for a bulky water and offensive threat. i personally prefer coba, but life orb or splash plate are cool too. keld is one of those mons that your opponent wants to wear down or get rid of asap but restalk offers longevity and is a great way to punish dark types long term. also acts as a great status absorber to boot :o.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Reflect Type / Defog
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

whoever is using twave on this is actually bad and needs to reevaluate their building abilities. besides, you can already fish for paras and better yet freezes without it. reflect type lets you beat so many matchups 1v1 that it renders your opponent incapable of actually killing this mon. status, set up mons, and strong super effective moves are really the only ways to break it down and it is an opportunity cost to not run this as a mega on bulkier teams imo. defog is also an acceptable alternative if you need hazard removal, but it detracts from mega lati's potential as a threatening wall.

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Protect sr hbell
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]

diancie i think is a top tier mega with very limited switchins, but what makes this set unique is the ev spread. despite having only one physical attack in diamond storm, investing max evs into it let diancie bypass many of its would be counters. for example, it 2hkos clef, tran, mega venu and, skarm and chans after rocks, as well as securing ohkos on mega gard and zam; just to name a few. you lose the ability to oneshot phatchomp and bisharp, as well as 2hkoing hippo, but you deal enough to pressure them from switching in, or staying in for that matter. rock stab is threatening af if you didn't notice already lol.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 104 Def / 108 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off / U-Turn
- Pursuit

while bulky sd is the go to set for megazor, i think anyone who is decent at building or playing oras will 100% have some countermeasure against that. this is one of the many reasons of why scizor, one of the most threatening megas in ou, suffered a sharp decline in usage and viability this spl compared to late last year. however, this set doesn't set out to achieve that late game sweeping potential. this is moreso a teamplayer that can abuse its phenomenal bulk and typing and put it to better use. if you scroll up to the post above mine, Reymedy explains fairly well of the benefits of trapping, the gamebreaking ability to "remove on command" a specific threat(s). with pursuit, you can essentially eliminate a many number of threats which include but are not limited to: zam, cele, chans, gard, geng, hoop, jirachi, kyu-b, latis, gross, starmie, as well as anything that is in bp range you can predict to switch out. the set is self-explanatory, but knock off is good for breaking down bulkier teams and the general utility of the move is of course, undeniable. u-turn is also acceptable if your team would prefer momentum on such an effective pivot.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance / Substitute
- Pin Missile / Substitute
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast

shoutouts user CrashinBoomBang for innovating a mon that doesn't use a +spe nature *o* . but you may notice that this heracross is actually max hp adamant, as opposed to max speed jolly. while this may seem counter intuitive for a mon that necessitates speed in order to get off damage on a speed based metagame, the only things that you outspeed that are actually worthwhile are when you still haven't mega'd, which are fast heatran and base 80s such as hoopa, gard, gyara, kyu-b, etc. even then, most sane people wouldn't stay in with those mons on an unmega'd hera. base 70s such as breloom, bisharp, phatchomp, etc. are negligible as they can't do crap to a mon with such godly bulk while you ohko or 2hko back respectively. speaking of bulk, max hp allows mega hera to essentially live almost any non-super effective or super effective hit and retaliate back with an appropriate move of choice. the speed investment allows you to outspeed rotom unmega'd, but you can run more to outspeed it after mega. i should also advise that you shouldn't run more speed than def land-t, as it can just tank a hit and u-turn as opposed to u-turning and having the switchin tank the hit.

Last edited:
I'm also interested on what the mzor evs specifically accomplish. I wouldn't stress that trapping is always a better use of mzor, because mzors sweeping potential lategame is very potent while it still acts like an amazing bulky but offensively threatening pivot mid/early game, but I agree that trapping is pretty darn good with MZor. Also Resttalk keldeo generally runs 56 hp i think, although I forgot what that benchmark hits (i think maybe something with weavile).

you can do the calcs yourself on tangrowth, but it is universally true that even a little investment on a mon with such a low stat goes a long way, for example chansey. investing max def is negligible since there is little to no improvement in it taking physical hits. this is just one example of what 56 sp def evs can do:

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 369-437 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Tangrowth: 335-395 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 166-196 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Tangrowth: 171-202 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

i can show you a wall of calcs, but i'm sure you can infer what that minimal amount of investment would entail.

physically defensive mega scizor is the best spread it should run. the garbage heavily invested sp def spread that smogon tells you is fallacious as switching into lop and having more insurance against cbazu, lo exca, etc. is more beneficial to you. its basically the same spread i use for any bulkymegazor, unless there is a better spread for a pursuitting variant which i am open to. and yeah, sd megasciz is still quite good. it is just prepared for on every fking team which makes the set predictable and somewhat obsolete. and it's funny, i do run 56 hp on my restalk keld as well, i just didn't know what the hp rly did for me. why would i put in arbitrary ev spreads if i myself can't explain them ?_? but good catch nonetheless.

Bisharp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 170 HP / 252 Atk / 86 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Av Bisharp is your only 1 true latios counter! The 170 HP allows you to guarantee two hits from an LO latios draco after rocks

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Draco Meteor vs. 170 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Bisharp: 123-146 (39.2 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

and having pursuit stops you from having to play around those pesky sucker/knock off 50/50's.

Having the hp and ass-vest also allows you to more safely come in on clefables, while not taking (
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 132-156 (48.7 - 57.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock) from a moonblast.

Shaka Brah

Banned deucer.
Mamoswine @ Metronome
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Knock Off/Freeze-Dry/Superpower

Allows Mamo to break through things that usually stall it out of LO recoil hits like Skarm or Clef. You can go with either nature and it still works, if you're Jolly you probably only have to hit 263-266 speed and you can invest in SpA for Freeze Dry, maybe. I prefer Adamant because you can't run LO on this.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
Hi everyone!
Here's a set I've used to great success in ORAS OU. It acts as a great lure to many offensive mons including Gengar, Garchomp, Landorus-T, Weavile, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Latios, etc. The thing I like about this set is that it's on a mon that uniquely fits it. Without further ado, I present to you the amazing...
TRIPLE PUNCH DUSKNOIR
Dusknoir @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Ice Punch
-Substitute
-Sucker Punch
-Focus Punch
Dusknoir was my choice for this set because of its great defensive typing and the stats to back it up; it also has great defenses but low HP, hence the given EVs.
Calcs will come soon, can't add them now because I'm on a phone right now. Sorry for the wait!
Replay 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333426072 This was back when I ran Thunder Punch>Ice Punch, which you can use if your team is especially weak to Azumarill and Talonflame. However, I think Ice Punch is better because of the omnipresence of Landorus-T, Garchomp, etc.
Edit: Lol, just watched the rest of the match. I can't believe I played so terribly. But the point is, Dusknoir managed to take down 3 mons easily.
Replay 2:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333867598 This one, I played better. More Thunder Punch silliness, too.
Damage calcs:
252+ Atk Dusknoir Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 242-286 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO without Stealth Rocks

252+ Atk Dusknoir Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 244-288 (58 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 105-124 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- 92% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 136-162 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Dusknoir Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 212-252 (66.4 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Weavile, Bisharp and Tyranitar are all OHKO'd by Focus Punch, but they can do tons of damage so you need to get up a Substitute on the switch or have one beforehand.)
Thank you for reading this! I'm interested in lower-tier Pokemon and how they can be used in OU.

Last edited:
you can do the calcs yourself on tangrowth, but it is universally true that even a little investment on a mon with such a low stat goes a long way, for example chansey. investing max def is negligible since there is little to no improvement in it taking physical hits. this is just one example of what 56 sp def evs can do:

252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tangrowth: 369-437 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 56 SpD Tangrowth: 335-395 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 166-196 (41.1 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Tangrowth: 171-202 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO

i can show you a wall of calcs, but i'm sure you can infer what that minimal amount of investment would entail.

physically defensive mega scizor is the best spread it should run. the garbage heavily invested sp def spread that smogon tells you is fallacious as switching into lop and having more insurance against cbazu, lo exca, etc. is more beneficial to you. its basically the same spread i use for any bulkymegazor, unless there is a better spread for a pursuitting variant which i am open to. and yeah, sd megasciz is still quite good. it is just prepared for on every fking team which makes the set predictable and somewhat obsolete. and it's funny, i do run 56 hp on my restalk keld as well, i just didn't know what the hp rly did for me. why would i put in arbitrary ev spreads if i myself can't explain them ?_? but good catch nonetheless.
I was more so looking if the evs in atk, defense, or sdef hit any specific benchmarks, or if they were just good numbers to work with. I'm assuming the defense evs hit some specific benchmark, and then atk/sdef is a split of the leftover that also accomplishes at least one other specific thing.

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Hey everyone! Today I want to share a set with you guys that's both super fun to use, and actually surprisingly effective! It's actually super anti metagame right now and I predict in the future it'll actually get a little more usage.

Kyurem-b @ Choice Specs
Ability: Terravolt
EVs: 252 Spatk | 4 Spdef | 252 Speed
IVs: 0 Attack
Modest nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

I've used this set three times this past Saturday for smogon tour and it went 3-0, and it was one of the teams I've used to get in the semi finals before eventually getting haxed out. I'd like to call myself the "creator" of this set since I haven't actually seen anyone else use it o_o But basically, my thinking at the time when I made this was that everyone was getting all hyped up about Choice Specs Hoopa-U, the new best thing, and so I wanted to use Specs Hoopa-U as well. That's when I got the idea to pair it up with Specs Kyurem-b, for the surprise factor and to blast holes to help the other Specs user. What started out as merely a joke set turned out to be incredibly effective and unprepared for.

Choice Specs Kyurem-b is just a straight up savage. Usually, people have a handful of switch ins to your typical Life Orb Kyurem-b. These include Clefable, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Mega Slowbro, and Tyranitar. All of these mentioned Pokemon just get destroyed by this Specs set. Clefable and Ferrothorn are easily 2hkoed by Ice Beam, something unaccomplishable with just Life Orb, Mega Slowbro is just straight up OHKOed by Draco Meteor, and Focus Blast easily OHKOes Tyranitar, 2HKOes Mega Scizor, and has a 25% chance to OHKO Ferrothorn from full, which means it just dies after Stealth Rock Damage. Earth Power lets you 2HKO Azumarill. In fact, this Kyurem-b set OHKOes/2HKOes the entirety of OU, barring Chansey. That's some serious power, and it has both the bulk, offensive STAB typings, and speed to abuse this to the fullest.

Several people have wondered why I don't just use regular Kyurem with Specs instead of Kyurem-b. For one, just the surprise factor can be enough to catch people off guard and net you an instant kill or two. When people see a regular Kyurem, they'll automatically know its a special attacking variant as opposed to Kyurem-b. Other reasons include Kyurem-b's added physical bulk, and Terravolt which lets you OHKO Rotom-W with Earth Power instead of being forced to use Draco Meteor, OHKOing Mega Venusaur, and OHKOing Sturdy users such as Custap Berry Skarmory.

Here are the replays where I went three for three in Smogon Tour:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-140717 After Kyurem-b easily 2HKOes Ferrothorn with Ice Beam (crits weren't needed as it was still a 2HKO) the opposing team had no switch ins to it and Kyurem-b just had a field day.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-140812 Granted, this replay just illustrates how broken Choice Specs Hoopa-U is instead of Kyurem-b, but Kyurem-b is still able to show some power here by 3HKOing Slowbro with Ice beam (couldn't Slack off because of the threat of Hoopa-U coming in) and finishing off Gliscor.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-140877 Specs Kyurem-b kills 5 Pokemon on the opposing team all by itself. Turn 1 Ferrothorn took like 99% from Focus Blast leaving it useless for the remainder of the battle where it was used as death fodder. Specs Kyurem-b then just kills everything else, even 2HKOing Utility Mega Sableye with Ice beam.

This isn't a set that can only be used in tour play however. Here's a high ladder replay of me using Specs Kyurem-b and it puts immense work on the opposing bulky team, OHKOing Slowbro with Draco Meteor and just exerting a ton of pressure in general. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-346597620

On another note, CB Kyurem-b is another criminally underrated and underused set that deserves much more love than its getting right now. Having the ability to just straight up OHKO Clefable with Iron Head, 2HKO steels such as Heatran/Jirachi/even Mega Scizor with Fusion Bolt, and destroying Chansey stalls is so beneficial. CB Dragon Claw is just so spammable and powerful (it OHKOes Keldeo) and I think it merits more usage than it currently does. Unfortunately, I don't have any replays of me using that but I swear it works D:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey everyone! Today I want to share a set with you guys that's both super fun to use, and actually surprisingly effective! It's actually super anti metagame right now and I predict in the future it'll actually get a little more usage.

Kyurem-b @ Choice Specs
Ability: Terravolt
EVs: 252 Spatk | 4 Spdef | 252 Speed
IVs: 0 Attack
Modest nature
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Focus Blast

I've used this set three times this past Saturday for smogon tour and it went 3-0, and it was one of the teams I've used to get in the semi finals before eventually getting haxed out. I'd like to call myself the "creator" of this set since I haven't actually seen anyone else use it o_o But basically, my thinking at the time when I made this was that everyone was getting all hyped up about Choice Specs Hoopa-U, the new best thing, and so I wanted to use Specs Hoopa-U as well. That's when I got the idea to pair it up with Specs Kyurem-b, for the surprise factor and to blast holes to help the other Specs user. What started out as merely a joke set turned out to be incredibly effective and unprepared for.

Choice Specs Kyurem-b is just a straight up savage. Usually, people have a handful of switch ins to your typical Life Orb Kyurem-b. These include Clefable, Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Mega Slowbro, and Tyranitar. All of these mentioned Pokemon just get destroyed by this Specs set. Clefable and Ferrothorn are easily 2hkoed by Ice Beam, something unaccomplishable with just Life Orb, Mega Slowbro is just straight up OHKOed by Draco Meteor, and Focus Blast easily OHKOes Tyranitar, 2HKOes Mega Scizor, and has a 25% chance to OHKO Ferrothorn from full, which means it just dies after Stealth Rock Damage. Earth Power lets you 2HKO Azumarill. In fact, this Kyurem-b set OHKOes/2HKOes the entirety of OU, barring Chansey. That's some serious power, and it has both the bulk, offensive STAB typings, and speed to abuse this to the fullest.

Several people have wondered why I don't just use regular Kyurem with Specs instead of Kyurem-b. For one, just the surprise factor can be enough to catch people off guard and net you an instant kill or two. When people see a regular Kyurem, they'll automatically know its a special attacking variant as opposed to Kyurem-b. Other reasons include Kyurem-b's added physical bulk, and Terravolt which lets you OHKO Rotom-W with Earth Power instead of being forced to use Draco Meteor, OHKOing Mega Venusaur, and OHKOing Sturdy users such as Custap Berry Skarmory.

Here are the replays where I went three for three in Smogon Tour:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-140717 After Kyurem-b easily 2HKOes Ferrothorn with Ice Beam (crits weren't needed as it was still a 2HKO) the opposing team had no switch ins to it and Kyurem-b just had a field day.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-140812 Granted, this replay just illustrates how broken Choice Specs Hoopa-U is instead of Kyurem-b, but Kyurem-b is still able to show some power here by 3HKOing Slowbro with Ice beam (couldn't Slack off because of the threat of Hoopa-U coming in) and finishing off Gliscor.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-ou-140877 Specs Kyurem-b kills 5 Pokemon on the opposing team all by itself. Turn 1 Ferrothorn took like 99% from Focus Blast leaving it useless for the remainder of the battle where it was used as death fodder. Specs Kyurem-b then just kills everything else, even 2HKOing Utility Mega Sableye with Ice beam.

This isn't a set that can only be used in tour play however. Here's a high ladder replay of me using Specs Kyurem-b and it puts immense work on the opposing bulky team, OHKOing Slowbro with Draco Meteor and just exerting a ton of pressure in general. https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-346597620

On another note, CB Kyurem-b is another criminally underrated and underused set that deserves much more love than its getting right now. Having the ability to just straight up OHKO Clefable with Iron Head, 2HKO steels such as Heatran/Jirachi/even Mega Scizor with Fusion Bolt, and destroying Chansey stalls is so beneficial. CB Dragon Claw is just so spammable and powerful (it OHKOes Keldeo) and I think it merits more usage than it currently does. Unfortunately, I don't have any replays of me using that but I swear it works D:
Quick knitpick, but doesn't regular Kyurem do this better due to having a slightly higher SpA stat?

Starmei

You thought you could challenge me?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Quick knitpick, but doesn't regular Kyurem do this better due to having a slightly higher SpA stat?
KyuB has Teravolt, better bulk & has the ability to bluff other sets. This is not to say that it outclasses what regular Kyurem may do but it makes it usable over regular Kyurem in terms of a Specs set.

e: idk if wcar edited that in or I just didn't bother reading it but justification for KyuB > Kyu Regular for this set is also in the post about the set...

Last edited:
Hi everyone!
Here's a set I've used to great success in ORAS OU. It acts as a great lure to many offensive mons including Gengar, Garchomp, Landorus-T, Weavile, Bisharp, Tyranitar, Latios, etc. The thing I like about this set is that it's on a mon that uniquely fits it. Without further ado, I present to you the amazing...
TRIPLE PUNCH DUSKNOIR
Dusknoir @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Ice Punch
-Substitute
-Sucker Punch
-Focus Punch
Dusknoir was my choice for this set because of its great defensive typing and the stats to back it up; it also has great defenses but low HP, hence the given EVs.
Calcs will come soon, can't add them now because I'm on a phone right now. Sorry for the wait!
Replay 1: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333426072 This was back when I ran Thunder Punch>Ice Punch, which you can use if your team is especially weak to Azumarill and Talonflame. However, I think Ice Punch is better because of the omnipresence of Landorus-T, Garchomp, etc.
Edit: Lol, just watched the rest of the match. I can't believe I played so terribly. But the point is, Dusknoir managed to take down 3 mons easily.
Replay 2:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-333867598 This one, I played better. More Thunder Punch silliness, too.
Damage calcs:
252+ Atk Dusknoir Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gengar: 242-286 (93.4 - 110.4%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO without Stealth Rocks

252+ Atk Dusknoir Ice Punch vs. 252 HP / 164+ Def Garchomp: 244-288 (58 - 68.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 105-124 (35.8 - 42.3%) -- 92% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dusknoir: 136-162 (46.4 - 55.2%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
-1 252+ Atk Dusknoir Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 24 Def Landorus-T: 212-252 (66.4 - 78.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(Weavile, Bisharp and Tyranitar are all OHKO'd by Focus Punch, but they can do tons of damage so you need to get up a Substitute on the switch or have one beforehand.)
Thank you for reading this! I'm interested in lower-tier Pokemon and how they can be used in OU.
why not just use something like Hoopa. Hits harder, more speed, and behind a sub, bulk doesn't really matter.

I saw this in a random battle and thought it was pretty good
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-348492153
Regigigas Leftovers
- Return
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Wave

Regigigas is usually used as either a bulky wallbreaker support or a crazy sweeper. I found thunder wave really useful and, when coupled with substitute, made a really good combo (Take for example that hariyama). The only problem I find is that it is countered by ghost types. Apart from that, it's pretty good!

I saw this in a random battle and thought it was pretty good
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-348492153
Regigigas Leftovers
- Return
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Thunder Wave

Regigigas is usually used as either a bulky wallbreaker support or a crazy sweeper. I found thunder wave really useful and, when coupled with substitute, made a really good combo (Take for example that hariyama). The only problem I find is that it is countered by ghost types. Apart from that, it's pretty good!
Don't base on random battles for tier sets and that one isn't good :/ You know that on random battles the lower tier mons gain more levels and there you can sweep ubers with chatot and cosmic sigilyph is op in random battles but it is awful in tier.

If you are comparing random battles with OU or just basing on randoms to talk about the viability of a set, you are doing it all wrong! In OU you choose which pokes to use on the team, you have a strategy, everyone is lv100, EVs and natures, you don't have Luvdisc or Unown on team etc.

Maybe that set is viable in PU but well, Regigigas has a really terrible ability and is quite gimmicky so it isn't great in PU either :/

If I recall correctly, Hoopa has no guaranteed switch ins, so it sort of defeats the purpose of the set, which is a lure.
Um no. Dusknoir is complete trash in OU, and quite possibly several other tiers. It shouldn't even see the light of day and the "lure" as you call it isn't even good

Defeating purpose? At least Hoopa-U is actually viable and quite literally the most terrifying mon in the tier and eons better than Dusknoir will ever be.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
Um no. Dusknoir is complete trash in OU, and quite possibly several other tiers. It shouldn't even see the light of day and the "lure" as you call it isn't even good

Defeating purpose? At least Hoopa-U is actually viable and quite literally the most terrifying mon in the tier and eons better than Dusknoir will ever be.
When I first saw this post, my initial thoughts were [BAN ME PLEASE] but I've narrowed them down to this:
-Those were rather rude things to say about one of my favorite Pokemon "should never see the light of day", "it isn't even good" etc.
-All I was trying to do was find a use for it in OU, because as I mentioned, I like it.
-Hoopa can't even learn Sucker Punch, lol
-You could have just not used it, or suggested a better set for it. Insulting it was unnecessary.
-Let me rediscuss this: When people see a Hoopa-U, they can just say, "Oh, one of those things, I'll just use my Scarf Landorus-T." When they see Dusknoir, the reaction is more like "What is this thing it just Ice Punched my Landorus-T".
-Did you even watch the replays? I know they weren't very good, but still.
-I really hate when people dismiss a Pokemon just because of its tier. I don't know if that's the case here, but it's a fallacious way to think.
-Have fun laddering today. I know I will :)

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
When I first saw this post, my initial thoughts were [BAN ME PLEASE] but I've narrowed them down to this:
-Those were rather rude things to say about one of my favorite Pokemon "should never see the light of day", "it isn't even good" etc.
-All I was trying to do was find a use for it in OU, because as I mentioned, I like it.
-Hoopa can't even learn Sucker Punch, lol
-You could have just not used it, or suggested a better set for it. Insulting it was unnecessary.
-Let me rediscuss this: When people see a Hoopa-U, they can just say, "Oh, one of those things, I'll just use my Scarf Landorus-T." When they see Dusknoir, the reaction is more like "What is this thing it just Ice Punched my Landorus-T".
-Did you even watch the replays? I know they weren't very good, but still.
-I really hate when people dismiss a Pokemon just because of its tier. I don't know if that's the case here, but it's a fallacious way to think.
-Have fun laddering today. I know I will :)
You seem to be missing the point here. Dusknoir is utter ass in OU. Liking a Pokémon doesn't make it good. Surprise value isn't an argument for using a shitmon, as you can apply the same logic to any OU-viable lures such as HP Ice Lando-T, Grass Knot/Aerial Ace Bisharp etc. We aren't dismissing it because of its tier (trust me on this one; I'm known for using Stunfisk for role compression and the ability to cockblock electrics among lots of other E-ranks; I know -Magic- is also a fan of experimenting with E-ranks), but similarly you can't say that every Pokémon is viable. Unlike a number of E-ranks, Dusknoir has no discernable or notable niche over its competition. As such, it is mediocre.

From the set you have put, I can instantly tell you that this isn't a niche exclusive to Dusknoir, and if anything it does it rather poorly compared to other similar Pokémon due to its somewhat-low attacking stat.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If it's a bad set, Vertex won't put it into the OP. This is most likely gonna be the case for most pokemon not on the Viability Rankings.

No need to continue this argument. Move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)