what helps you fall asleep?

Rare Poison

if im butter then ur a hot knife
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
pretty much for as long as I can remember, I've been plagued by insomnia. like, "going to sleep early" never works for me, as I'd have to lay in bed for a few hours before I can fall asleep. even trying to sleep at a reasonable time is a struggle for me

lately, I've been trying to listen to some really somber music (like Beck's Morning Phase or something) and I guess that's been working out okay?

anyhow, I'd like to hear about what you guys do to fall asleep and its degree of effectiveness

Foggi

Banned deucer.
I usually smoke a joint if i can't fall asleep and it helps alot most of the time, beer/vodka works too but i don't recommend it lol

Edit: if you consider smoking some weed to fall asleep i also recommend you putting on headphones after you smoke and listening to some chill music (for example i listen to future bass if i want to fall asleep quickly after a joint)

melatonin, currently. i've had sleeping problems for as far as i can remember and after a week of melatonin i've had uninterrupted sleep.

Asek

Banned deucer.
generally i find im kept awake by my thoughts, which usually manifest into anxiety and worry when im trying to sleep fsr, might be the isolation aspect of it. I find visualizing a circle particularly helpful, as it prevents me from milling over things. I try to (and usually) achieve 10 hours sleep every night tho, so i cant be doing too bad haha

A lot of the stuff that can help you get a good nights sleep is before you actually try to get to sleep itself tho. I try reading for 20-30 minutes a hardcopy text, screens stimulate my mind too much that i struggle to go to sleep straight off the back of playing a game or watching tv. a pot of tea and putting away screens an hour before i go to sleep does wonders for me.

I usually just hug a cold pillow or something, as it helps me relax. I've never had sleeping problems, so I can't really help you there lol. I'll try to get a friend to post here, he's isomaniac too, maybe he could help in some way.

Conni

katharsis
I can't fall asleep most of the times, so I just close my eyes, think about thoughts or what I want my dream to be and then just wait as it'll eventually render me unconscious.
So I'd say just try to be calm before you sleep and think happy thoughts :)
It works but you'd have to wait around 2 hours haha

ant

⭐️⭐️⭐️
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm basically a koala. I can easily fall asleep. But sometimes I just can't, but very rarely. Last time I found an app called Rain, rain sleep sounds and I had the best nap ever. It was incredibly relaxing (if you enjoy rain while sleeping / also has other sounds) and it helped me tons. I recommend it. Hugging my dog also helps me, she sleeps with me every night, so getting closer to her makes me feel warm and safe

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Its prob not a good idea to rely on drugs to help you get to sleep, other than melatonin. Fuck Ambien or whatever
Realest advice tho:
Try do exercise during the day
Jack off right before you go to sleep
Eat right before you go to sleep

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
As someone who has a lot of trouble getting to sleep, I've developed certain methods over time. I'll sometimes listen to music or perhaps a good audiobook if I'm in the mood, but the best way I've found is to lie on my back and take deep breaths, that usually does the job.

If this makes any sort of sense, I usually think a lot when I can't sleep, and usually I fall asleep with my thoughts without realizing. Also reading, Tea, and doubling up on Blankets helps a ton

melatonin, currently. i've had sleeping problems for as far as i can remember and after a week of melatonin i've had uninterrupted sleep.
The thing with that is that you are just gonna need more and more.

As for myself, I just drop pretty quickly when watching youtube vids laying on my side :s

some of my uni lectures are recorded, so i just play them to help me fall asleep. helps retain some of the contents subconsciously, and a lot of my professors have such hypnotic droning voices that you can just lie back, relax, and do what you yearn to during the lecture

If you stay on devices for longer than what people would consider a normal sleeping schedule (say, telling yourself you want to try sleeping in at 8-9 PM, but you become restless and grab your phone to complain about it), it just so happens to be the light produced by the mentioned device that can and will pretty much keep you awake, and can make falling asleep a very difficult task.

This is where melatonin comes in. I'll snip a definition of it from umm.edu:

Melatonin is a hormone secreted by the pineal gland in the brain. It helps regulate other hormones and maintains the body's circadian rhythm. The circadian rhythm is an internal 24-hour "clock" that plays a critical role in when we fall asleep and when we wake up.​

The melatonin relies on the intake of sunlight during the day to help keep your body awake and energized- even if you start the day off groggy. Think of it as an internal solar panel as well. This is why there's the classic drawing-the-curtains and letting the sunlight in schematic in a lot of shows/movies/etc. This also applies to the lights you intake from your devices- the really important part I'm gonna do my best to cover- whether it be from your PCs, phones, handheld consoles, etc.

The lights from the aforementioned items will make it difficult for you to try and knock yourself out when you want to. Thus, having the habit of staying on them for a long time cultivates a pretty nasty insomnia to deal with. After a while of staying up late, your body gets used to that 'schedule', thus creating a struggle for you when you try to regulate your sleeping schedule again. It's funny because I have insomnia! Lololol.

Anyway, the first few steps to to help tackle against this may be the hardest. It starts with limiting the usage of your devices. Putting a strain on what you use would be for the best. You'll want to dedicate yourself to a schedule where you stop using your phone/computer/laptop/etc at, say, 8 PM. You'll then want to do an outdoor activity to distract yourself. Like taking a walk in your area, or chilling out on your porch/backyard, just about anything will do. If you don't think you live in an environment that lets you comfortably do that, doing stretches and listening to some chill music can also help out pretty well. Ambient music is pretty great btw. Keep it on a very low volume to let it lull you to sleep.

Also, this may sound really taxing, but having more errands to run throughout the day can also help exhaust you enough to make it easier to sleep at the right time. Hot showers/baths works wonders as well, depending on if you're into that.

These are all mostly suggestions that I have gathered from family members that have had trouble with regulating their sleeping in the past (like my sisters and my aunt, as well as my mother). I can say that a few have helped me pull back to falling asleep at least at around 2-3 AM, which is an achievement for me lol.

I hope this all helps grasp a general understanding of what you have to keep an eye on! Melatonin wants to be your friend, not your enemy.
I apologize in advance if this seems cluttered haha.

Thanks to a sleep disorder from my autism, I have a tendency to stay up all the way until the morning without a side effect from taking Seroquel, which is effectively killing two birds with one stone. The other bird? I rather not talk about it.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I have insomnia from Asperger's syndrome too, so as day night reversal.
I tried so many methods that didn't work.

In the end, it was medication that did the trick.

Aha, I myself have ASD paired with my insomnia so it's pretty surprising to see a few others on the same boat. :-0 But it won't stop me from trying to fight it off lol.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Seeing how people are saying masturbation seriously, I personally find that doing this before bed doesn't help me get to sleep. Rather, fapping in bed just seems to stimulate me mentally, and once I'm done I have to spend about 15-20 minutes winding down again before I can start to try getting to sleep again. As such, if I do it at all I tend to do it during the day when I'm not approaching sleep. I don't know if this is normal or abnormal, but yeah I was kinda surprised to see people saying masturbation helps them get to sleep.

On another note relating to sleep, something worth considering is the music thing that I mentioned up the page. Results in expriments are conflicting, but according to this article (it's a good/interesting article on the whole that you should read regardless of its relevance) the studies into it tend to come out with neutral or positive results from the tests and it says "yes and no" to whether it actually helps or not. It can't do any harm to try if you're having difficulty sleeping provided you don't put on Mötorhead or something.

I have had no trouble sleeping until I was about 18 or so, slept pretty well. I dont remember most of the dreams I have if I have many.

My worst period of not sleeping was when I was 19 because of stress and anxiety. I have tried a lot of different things and some of the things that work for me are Sex/getting off, alcohol, melatonin, some types of tea and maintaining a regular sleep schedule. I would definitely recommend sex and melatonin and some cases alcohol. From my expirence Meltonin is the best line of defense and works most of the time. Having sex and sleeping/cuddling with girlfriend is great to. Alcohol can help but dont drink too much of it.

i used to take advil before bed but i stopped cause i was dependent on it. so what i do is just sit there in bed close my eyes and keep my fan on second to last max fan speed, and i just lay there. after 15-20 min ur body will be already shutting down and before you know it you pass out. i did this a lot before for when i used to be interested in lucid dreaming but now i just fall asleep instead of trying to be awake.

Sleeping near a window cracked open has always lead to some of the best sleep for me. Something about that cool air brushing over my face just knocks me right out. That said my bed is directly underneath a window and I know not everyone's bedroom is structured as such, I also sleep well with a fan on even during the winter season which probably sounds kind of ridiculous. Lol

What can I say? Cool air just does it for me and I don't even live in a state that's considered to be a state with consistent warm temperatures. Not to mention that both the fan and cracked open window makes my pillows cold which also helps me sleep well, even when ill or suffering a headache.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)