BH Balanced Hackmons

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
I'll be writing down my thoughts on some of the new things brought in by sun and moon, as well as how the new gen affects some previous strategies.
Note: I will be referring to Dazzling/Queenly Majesty as QM cuz short

Sleep: Sleep got a noticeable nerf this generation in my opinion. The Dark Void nerf means Lovely Kiss is the new most accurate non-powder move, and 75% is a bit of a letdown. Prankster sleep is also rendered almost invalid due to Triage, QM, and Psychic Terrain (via Psychic Surge and Genesis Supernova usually). I've also run into the occasional Misty Terrain (via Misty Surge) which prevents all status (including sleep) for 5-8 turns. Also, Spore got another switchin due to Kartana actually being a decent mon (nice speed, great attack, QM fixes prio weakness). This is on top of all previous checks to sleep (Substitute, Poison Heal, Magic Bounce, Safety Goggles, etc.). Therefore I feel like sleep has definitely taken a hit in viability and won't be nearly as spammable in SM BH. (This comment is mostly to address the calls for a sleep clause last gen and why I don't think they are valid this gen.)

Stall: Once the meta balances out a little bit I think stall might be a little better. Obviously offense got better, but stall got some nice buffs too with the addition of QM to check -ates and Triage mons, Dark-types becoming immune to Prankster, Spectral Thief, and Zygarde-Complete. Quite frankly, big zyg is a fantastic bulky mon and is very splashable. I've run Unaware successfully, I've seen others run Poison Heal and Regenerator successfully, and I'm sure it can run a variety of other stallesque abilities, such as Magic Bounce, effectively as well. QM is also extremely handy for stall teams as the ability to wall the most powerful attacks from Pokemon such as Triage Mega Heracross/Mega Rayquaza/Mega Mewtwo X and the ates (including the new Galvanize Zekrom) is very handy. Slap it on a specially bulky mon and you've got yourself a nice check to some of the meta's most common threats. Dark-types being immune to Prankster is also nice as some offense teams used to rely on Prankster Topsy Turvy to check their set up sweepers and you can now completely stop that, although admittedly this isn't too major a deal. Finally, Spectral Thief. Spectral Thief, if you didn't know, steals your opponent's positive boosts and then attacks them. It is a 90 BP physical Ghost attack, hits through Substitute, and gives stall some serious offensive presence. When an Unaware mon tanks a hit from a boosted opponent, it can steal the boosts for itself (without worrying about negative boosts, such as the defense/special defense drop from Shell Smash!) and proceed to deal some damage back or Baton Pass to a more powerful teammate. Once again, big zyg fits in here as it is decently strong with some nice STAB attacks and as such can act as a pivot for stall that also has the ability to counter sweep the opponent. There is also Innards Out, which, on a high HP mon, can be a decent emergency check to random sweepers, however I feel there are more useful and constructive ways to utilize this ability slot that contribute better in the majority of cases.

Water Bubble: Water Bubble has seemed somewhat underwhelming, but that could just be because everyone is very prepared for it with stuff like Water Absorb/Storm Drain that can set up on POgre/Ash Greninja (the two main abusers of this new ability). It also isn't as powerful as PDon's Desolate Land V-Create. It's still a good wallbreaker/revenge killer that requires preparation for when teambuilding, and the requirement of stall to basically have a Water Absorb mon may turn out to be overcentralizing, however at the moment it doesn't seem to be too bad; just another good offensive ability.

QM: QM is such a great ability for all playstyles. For offense it helps sweepers by preventing -ate/Triage revenge killers and allows more frail Pokemon to thrive in the meta, increasing diversity by increasing the viability of many Pokemon without being overly powerful. It also is a fantastic ability for Imposter-proofing. For stall, it is very handy to wall the most powerful moves of Triage users, being immune to Prankster Topsy Turvy (helpful for Spectral Thief mons), as well as open up the possibilities for more -ate checks, as they only have to be able to check Boomburst + coverage. It also offers nice role compression

Z-moves: Finally, Z-moves. Z-moves have insanely high base power and come in a variety of types on both sides of the physical/special spectrum. The drawback, of course, is that each can only be used once (barring Leppa Berry shenanigans which I feel are meh at best). However, this is mitigated when you get a fast, high powered Pokemon such as Deoxys-Attack spamming these moves and OHKOing opposing mons before they can attack. Deo-A spam has been surprisingly effective and it has reached the point where one can literally just click moves and win. I've personally reached the top 5 on the ladder using this strategy, and have beat notable players such as flint (twice) and mamp, as well as quite a few teams that have prepared for this strategy and have multiple counter-play options, but simply get overwhelmed. I do not believe it is healthy for the meta when anyone can slap a few powerful attacks on a strong, fast Pokemon, and proceed to do insanely well with them. This has reached the point where one of the few options is to outspeed Deoxys-Attack and use multi-hit moves (and remember, they might not all be sash, I personally run scarf on one of my Deo-A). Choice Scarf Pheromosa with Pin Missile is a great way to counter such a strategy but when one has to resort to otherwise-unviable gimmicks such as that in order to defeat such a strategy I believe that is overcentralizing. As well, one cannot even resort to FakeSpeed to check this strategy as Psychic Surge and QM are very viable abilities on such teams and will prevent from being revenge killed by FakeSpeed. I also firmly believe that Deoxys-Attack spam would not be nearly as much of a problem were it not for Z-moves existing, as it is the sheer power of these moves that cause them to be so hard to play around. Regular Deo-A can be checked by normal means, such as Zygarde-Complete. This is why I am calling for a ban/suspect on Z-moves, due to them being overly powerful, easily spammed, and being the root of a highly overcentralizing problem.

Here are some replays featuring this strategy
vs. PinkDragonTamer http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480850088
vs. DurzaOffTopic http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480803405
vs. MAMP http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480776380
vs. E4 Flint http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480751309
(forgot to save the other one vs flint but these should help prove my point, as none of these teams are bad, and they do well against the rest of the meta, and most, if not all, did in fact have a counter-play to deo-a but still got stomped on)

And now for some sample teams

Rayquaza-Mega @ Focus Sash
Ability: Triage
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Oblivion Wing
- Sunsteel Strike

Solgaleo @ Leftovers
Ability: Queenly Majesty
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Psychic Fangs
- Stealth Rock
- Shore Up

Diancie-Mega @ Earth Plate
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Extreme Speed
- Boomburst
- Judgment

Zygarde-Complete @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Thousand Arrows
- Shore Up
- U-turn
- Dragon Tail

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Haze
- Shore Up
- Parting Shot
- Defog

Groudon-Primal @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Judgment
- Blue Flare
- 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt

This is a very fun balance team, built to be anti-meta. The Mega Rayquaza set is a fun one, as after a smash, it outspeeds other Triage/Fake Out users, as well as Psychic Surge MMY who it bops with Sunsteel Strike. I chose Sunsteel Strike over Moongeist Beam in order to hit Mega Tyranitar. Solgaleo can probably be replaced with Mega Metagross on this squad to be honest, but I wanted to see if the new legendary had any merit. QM allows it to Imposter-proof my Mega Rayquaza and steal its boosts via Spectral Thief. Psychic Fangs is just a cool new physical Psychic STAB I wanted to test and it did reasonably well although it should probably be replaced with Ice Hammer or something. This team really appreciates SR support for random sashes that can halt sweeps, and Shore Up is because I wasn't sure what else to add and it keeps it healthy suring a counter sweep :J The EVs on Solgaleo can definitely be tweaked and honestly so can the moves but I'd definitely keep Spectral Thief and SR. Mega Diancie's viability took a hit with the coming of the new generation, however I wanted to see if it still had some merit revenge killing mons that neglected to use QM or Psychic Surge. Unfortunately, it was rather underwhelming, although Earth Plate Judgment did have its uses getting some nice damage on Primal Groudon and bulky Steel-types. This of course is Imposter-proofed by either Solgaleo or Registeel. Big zyg was placed on the team as a pivot that happens to check half the meta, and also walls my PDon. DTail is very useful for random set up sweepers and insane bulk means it can usually live anti-Unaware strategies such as Power Trip, Stored Power, Sunsteel Strike, and Moongeist Beam. Registeel was next, again to test something that was theoretically nerfed. Can confirm it was lol. Prank Haze was helpful on multiple occasions but getting stopped by Dark-types and Psychic surge/QM mons does get old very quick. Prank Defog is as useful as always but it is also blocked by the aformentioned things, which can be very costly if you need to remove rocks for MRay. Finally, the team's anti-meta sweeper and star Pokemon. This odd Primal Groudon set achieves many things for my team. First of all it puts a halt to Water Bubble Primal Kyogre/Ash Greninja shenanigans. Secondly, it lures everything and sweeps! Ice Judg beats MRay (who usually runs Triage now and after a QD Oblivion Wing isn't doing much) and espeically Zygarde-Complete. 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt only has 1 PP, but it is very handy for removing annoying POgre or other Water-types/MTtar if your opponent lacks POgre. Blue Flare is simply a strong reliable STAB that hits a lot of the meta. Overall this team was a decent first new-gen team and carried me to top 15, but had some obvious flaws so I changed it a little.

vs. pdt http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480219250
vs. halliday (tbk99) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480073706
vs. someone on ladder http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-479900442
vs. Kit Kasai http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-479892255
vs. my irl fren using assist http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-479531116
i also beat lcass but forgot to save replay
would have beat uc but PDon missed Blue Flare :(

Rayquaza-Mega @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Mild Nature
- Substitute
- Shell Smash
- Oblivion Wing
- Sunsteel Strike

Diancie-Mega @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pixilate
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Earth Power
- Spike Cannon
- Rapid Spin

Zygarde-Complete @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Shore Up
- U-turn
- Dragon Tail

Registeel @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
Sassy Nature
- Spectral Thief
- Baton Pass
- Stealth Rock
- Shore Up

Groudon-Primal @ Icicle Plate
Ability: Storm Drain
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Judgment
- Blue Flare

Yveltal @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Sassy Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn
- Shore Up
- Knock Off

Thanks to Lcass4919 for helping me evaluate my team and make a few changes! This team is much better suited to the current meta. I'll just explain what I changed. First of all, I made MDiancie Choice Scarf, which is EXTREMELY useful as a revenge killer, especially when compared to FakeSpeed variants, as QM/Psychic Surge doesn't stop a Scarf Boomburst :) Modest allows it to potentially OHKO MMY, which was an annoyance for my previous team. Obviously I could no longer run Judgment, so I added Earth Power instead. Spike Cannon further shows how overcentralizing this Deoxys-Attack spam cancer is, as I would normally never run that but now it is necessary. Finally, unblockable Rapid Spin removes hazards, pretty straightforward mon overall but a very potent revenge killer. Prankster Registeel was underwhelming, so I changed it to Levitate to check the new MDiancie. It's a fairly simple utility mon and pivot that can potentially steal boosts with Spectral Thief and pass them to an offensive member. Finally, I was struggling with Deo-A and MMY teams so I added a fairly standard PH Yveltal job that does a nice job of checking said mons. This team got me back to top 20 after I tilted with the previous squad and is better in the current meta imo.

no replays rip

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam

Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- V-create
- Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike
- Catastropika

Ability: Contrary
Hasty Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Overheat
- Bullet Punch
- Leaf Storm

Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
Hasty Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Psystrike
- Pin Missile

Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Genesis Supernova
- Psychic
- Moonblast

Ability: Mold Breaker
Timid Nature
- Oceanic Operetta
- Genesis Supernova
- Blue Flare

Finally, the team y'all actually want :^) Not much to explain here tbh just click moves and win. QM + Psychic Terrain checks priority, Scarf beats other Scarf multi-hit users and other Deo-A teams. Contrary got a decent buff with Fleur Cannon and is a very powerful cleaner, taking advantage of stuff being weakened by the Z-move spamming Deoxys-Attacks. Magic Guard Defog Deo-A is important af to keep them Sashes intact. Other things to try with this team: 5 Deo-A + Imposter Chansey, No Guard Deo-A (this team can struggle with Zygarde-Complete occasionally, particularly lcass4919's regenvest big zyg).

replays above where I was talking about z-moves

wew lad long post, enjoy the teams and hopefully this sparks some discussion! ban z-moves

I am arguing, as I have before, for a limit of either 1 or 2 z-moves total per team, as well as a possible ban of Genesis Supernova.

In my opinion, Z-moves are about as centralizing as -ate was in gen 6, as they can be added to any offensive mon with minimal opportunity cost. Limiting the z moves to one would make them more manageable. A special mention needs to be given to Genesis Supernova, since it summons psychic terrain and blocks priority. It almost forces you to run a Dark-type pokemon to block it, but even the bulkiest Dark type, which I argue is Mega Tyranitar, can be OHKOed with fighting coverage, or 2HKED with fairy coverage. The game-breaking part of Genesis Supernova is the Psychic terrain though, since it powers up Psychic moves for 5 turns. Mega Mewtwo y can 2HKO the entire non-Dark-type metagame with Psystrike under Psychic terrain, leaving plenty of room for coverage to hit said Dark types. Forcing it to run Psychic Surge would make it a little less broken imho as it can currently run whatever it wants.

To sum up: Please limit z-moves to two per team, and ban Genesis Supernova.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
In response to the two posts above mine, I'd like to clarify why I called for a straight up ban on Z moves. First I'd like to agree that I'm not completely sold they are entirely broken, and would personally support a limit of 1 or 2 Z moves per team, however this goes against Smogon policy (as it is a complex ban), which is why I suggested a simple blanket ban on these powerful attacks. There is precedent in BH for limiting instead of banning (-ate restriction last gen), however I'd like to tag E4 Flint to let us know what (just briefly, ik a thread will come soon) the BH banning philosophy is for generation 7 and whether or not a limit would be considered so we waste less time debating limit vs. ban and more time on ban vs. no ban.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Some stuff I've been using lately:

-5- (Solgaleo) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Dazzling
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stored Power
- Earth Power
- Spore
- Shell Smash

Solgaleo is a pretty good shell smash sweeper & combined with dazzling it doesn't care about prankster (except prankster haze) / e-speed, Fake out etc, after the shell smash. Spore is there to provide set-up against walls without safety goggles. Stored power is great after a shell smash, letting Solgaleo muscle through unaware walls.
I've combined this set with the following Yveltal set to take care of imposter Chansey;

-4- (Yveltal) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Heart Swap
- Baton Pass
- Substitute

This set hard walls any coverage my imposter'd Solgaleo has, whilst trapping it, stealing the boosts & eliminating imposter Chansey for the other sweepers on my team. The ev's are there to provide some measure of backup against M-Gengar (although I haven't seen much of these lately).

Example of how the strategy works (although my Solgaleo did not have the opportunity to set up)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-480988903
id honestly run spectral theif over heart swap, as dispite not hitting normal types, it has the added benefit of ignoring smashes defense drops, also gives yveltal good coverage, and is still walled by audino if you fear imposter

also limiting moves is NOT a complex ban. z moves fall into a category(similar to ates) and such, can create a clause similar to the previous ate clause.

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
Just wanted to post this replay vs E4 Flint showcasing the potency of Zygarde Stall and trapping moves.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-482241687

it ends short for some reason but my Pdon was able to PP stall his other Zygarde as well and the rest was just pivoting/PP stalling shenanigans with Celesteela and Chansey mainly.

Was a bit of a haxy battle on both ends (a bit more favorable for me), but I feel it demonstrated this new bulk creep that the meta has been bestowed upon in Gen 7 mainly thanks to Zygarde-C, the primals and the need for Haze Prankster on any team needing a solid anti-sweeper check. There is a lot of cool builds that you can play with right now, which is why I am enjoying the meta so much right now.

Fuck Z move spam Deo A teams tho

Heracross-Mega @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Life
- Horn Leech
- Ice Punch

Draining counts as healing. 2nd highest attack in the game + choice band + STAB on DP and LL + more priority than ESpeed. This thing is absolutely crazy. Ice punch is interchangable but I prefer it to take down Zygarde

Em

formerly Based Sexy Pants

Heracross-Mega @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Leech Life
- Horn Leech
- Ice Punch

Draining counts as healing. 2nd highest attack in the game + choice band + STAB on DP and LL + more priority than ESpeed. This thing is absolutely crazy. Ice punch is interchangable but I prefer it to take down Zygarde
Why not use Ice Hammer over Ice Punch? Not like you're outspeeding anything anyways.

Got this crazy Arceus set tho:

Arceus @ Normalium Z
Ability: Simple
Modest Nature
- Boomburst
- Moongeist Beam
- Imprison / Beat Up / Secret Sword / Blizzard / Genesis Supernova (This move should change to best synergize with what team you are using)
- Conversion
This set makes use of Z-Conversion to boost Arceus' stats. Boomburst and Moongeist Beam give it coverage to hit almost every Pokemon except mega t-tar, and the defence boost from simple Z-Conversion lets it take on very powerful attacks. Also, Arceus' normal typing prevents spectral thief Pokemon from stealing Arceus' stat buffs. Arceus' 3rd move should match what you are trying to use Arceus for. For example, if you want to use it as a lead, you can run imprison to stop imposters or Beat up to get through focus sashes. If you plan to use it late game, Secret Sword, Blizzard (Recommended to use blizzard instead of ice beam to finish off Zygarde), and Genesis Supernova (If priority is a problem). While this set needs to be careful with metal burst, innards out, and haze users, it is a force to be reckoned with no matter how it is brought to the table.
Replays:
First time Test- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-481884070
Ploughing through Primal G and Aegislash- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-481911074
Eating through a tough defensive core- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-482071742
Taking back a losing game- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-482126500
Arceus synergizing with the team to take out Chansey- http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-482124423

isn't the point of deo-a zmove spam that it can hold a leppa berry and have harvest to replenish pp? if so, then there are already numerous replays in this thread showcasing that

Funbot28

Banned deucer.
isn't the point of deo-a zmove spam that it can hold a leppa berry and have harvest to replenish pp? if so, then there are already numerous replays in this thread showcasing that
Signature Z moves (such as Genisis Supernova and Pulverizing Pancake) are allowed to be used and only have 1 PP which is why Leppa Harvest sets are used. Normal Z moves that require the generic type crystal to be used cannot be used without holding that specific crystal.

In Gen 6 the following should cause the ATTACKER to lose in a Self-KO clause: Rough Skin, Aftermath, Liquid Ooze, Iron Barbs, Rocky Helmet
In Gen 7, this is flipped and now the (DEFENDER) Pokemon with the ability or item loses: Rough Skin, Aftermath, Liquid Ooze, Iron Barbs, innards Out, Rocky Helmet
I do recall that losing a game when both sides were down to 1 mon and the opponent was an innards out user, resulting in me losing the game. So pretty sure PS mechanics is broken rn.

Anyway, Innards Out is really a thing now. Thankfully we have 2 ability clause:otherwise, it would be very aids to have a team of 0 defense blissey with innards out and have one mon to get this game to be 1v1 battle, which would kinda ruin the metagame.

I have a possible idea for Primal Kyogre. If Primal Kyogre is banned in Gen 7 BH, then normal Kyogre can do this.

Kyogre-Primal @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Modest / Timid Nature
-Origin Pulse / Steam Eruption
-Shell Trap / Burn Up
-Earth Power
-10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt (Considering Z-Moves are allowed in Gen 7 BH. If not, then something like Clanging Scales might work.)

First of all, Water Bubble is the (non-hidden) Ability Dewpider / Araquanid gets that halves the damage it takes from Fire-type moves, prevents it from getting burned, and DOUBLES the power of the Pokemon's Water-Type moves before adding the STAB boost. With Primal Kyogre's MASSIVE base 180 Special Attack, it can make amazing use of its STAB + W.B.-boosted Origin Pulse / Steam Eruption, giving either move a COLOSSAL base power of 330. That's without Specs / Life Orb. With Life Orb, the power becomes 429, and with Specs, 495. This allows Primal Kyogre to obliterate almost anything in its path with STAB + WB + Specs / Life Orb Origin Pulse or Steam Eruption.

What about the other moves? How do they look?

you can use zconversion without the stone (for now, anyway) so you can run, say, a spoopy plate to boost moongeist beam while still being immune to knock off and trick
There are actually a lot of new z moves that you can't put in your move slots. For some reason, showdown only lets you put the moves with names (like Oceanic Operetta, Breakneck Blitz, Genesis Supernova, etc.). For all the other ones, you have to use a crystal just like in the games. If you want to see all these obscure z-moves, this spreadsheet gives a chart showing what all the moves do: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pNKgbRQjmQNH8u-D7uY25ELd4l_E8JkJgS4yN2x0KXE/edit#gid=0

I have a possible idea for Primal Kyogre. If Primal Kyogre is banned in Gen 7 BH, then normal Kyogre can do this.

Kyogre-Primal @ Choice Specs / Life Orb
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Modest / Timid Nature
-Origin Pulse / Steam Eruption
-Shell Trap / Burn Up
-Earth Power
-10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt (Considering Z-Moves are allowed in Gen 7 BH. If not, then something like Clanging Scales might work.)

First of all, Water Bubble is the (non-hidden) Ability Dewpider / Araquanid gets that halves the damage it takes from Fire-type moves, prevents it from getting burned, and DOUBLES the power of the Pokemon's Water-Type moves before adding the STAB boost. With Primal Kyogre's MASSIVE base 180 Special Attack, it can make amazing use of its STAB + W.B.-boosted Origin Pulse / Steam Eruption, giving either move a COLOSSAL base power of 330. That's without Specs / Life Orb. With Life Orb, the power becomes 429, and with Specs, 495. This allows Primal Kyogre to obliterate almost anything in its path with STAB + WB + Specs / Life Orb Origin Pulse or Steam Eruption.

What about the other moves? How do they look?
Good set, just be careful of Burn Up, since you have to be a fire type in order to use it. If you want a fire move, I would recommend Searing Shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Psystrike
- Moongeist Beam

Ability: Magic Guard
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- V-create
- Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike
- Catastropika

Ability: Contrary
Hasty Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Overheat
- Bullet Punch
- Leaf Storm

Deoxys-Attack @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
Hasty Nature
- Moongeist Beam
- Ice Beam
- Psystrike
- Pin Missile

Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Genesis Supernova
- Psychic
- Moonblast

Ability: Mold Breaker
Timid Nature
- Oceanic Operetta
- Genesis Supernova
- Blue Flare

Finally, the team y'all actually want :^) Not much to explain here tbh just click moves and win. QM + Psychic Terrain checks priority, Scarf beats other Scarf multi-hit users and other Deo-A teams. Contrary got a decent buff with Fleur Cannon and is a very powerful cleaner, taking advantage of stuff being weakened by the Z-move spamming Deoxys-Attacks. Magic Guard Defog Deo-A is important af to keep them Sashes intact. Other things to try with this team: 5 Deo-A + Imposter Chansey, No Guard Deo-A (this team can struggle with Zygarde-Complete occasionally, particularly lcass4919's regenvest big zyg).

replays above where I was talking about z-moves

wew lad long post, enjoy the teams and hopefully this sparks some discussion! ban z-moves
Beat Up + Speed increase = RIP Deo A Z move spam teams http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7balancedhackmons-483397641
*Z-moves on pokemon without crystals should still be banned

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Gengar-Mega @ Focus Sash / Spooky Plate
Timid Nature
- Shell Smash
- Moongeist Beam / Judgement
- Secret Sword
- Spore

This set is beautiful. I prefer the sash set, I imposterproof with Unaware Audino, but if it hasn't taken any damage it wins anyway. Running hazard control helps with this. This sweeps so many teams its ridiculous, if there's no spd Yveltal or Audino or Zygarde-Complete.

Pheromosa @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Technician
Happiness: 0
Jolly Nature
- Pin Missile
- Storm Throw
- U-turn
- Icicle Spear

The Deo-A spam counter. It works nicely as a revenge killer for anything that doesn't have priority. I'm not as happy with this set, but its worked alright. Mostly against all the Mega Mewtwo Y spam thats around.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Here is the Ultimate Assist Team.

I tried to use Pixelate, Galvanate, Refrigerate, and Aerilate, both with the Z-move in the move set itself, and through Assist. I noticed that in both scenarios that the type was still Normal. Perhaps this means that Entrainment Mega Gengar wont be able to stop Z-Attacks like they do regular attacks; otherwise this is an error that needs to be corrected.

This forces me to use Scrappy on a Fast Normal-Type to gain STAB for Pulverizing Pancake and still be able to hit all types for damage.

Due to the nature of the moves being repeated, I will only explain each move 1x.
Also, each Pokemon's HP is at a number divisible by 16 + 1 for the sake of Spikes, Sandstorm, Stealth Rocks, etc.

Lopunny-Mega @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Feint
- Destiny Bond

Assist calls upon Pulverizing Pancake, and like all Z-moves it never misses, and breaks through all forms of Protect, allowing the fastest Normal type Pokemon to hit with Hustle and a Choice Band with no accuracy loss.

Thief hits Ghost types and Solgaleo hard enough without affecting Assist's chance of calling Pulverizing Pancake every time.

Destiny Bond is one of the few moves that makes sense on a fast and frail Pokemon without affecting Assist.

Feint matches the priority of Extreme Speed, but it also breaks through Protect, and doesn't impact Assist. It gains STAB and is great for revenge killing a foe that tries to use Extreme Speed.

8 HP EVs hits 273, which is divisible by 16 + 1 for calculating Spikes, Stealth Rocks, etc. damage.
Max Speed investment lets it reach 405 Speed because you need to at least speed tie other Base 135 Speed foes as well as outrun 399 Speed Timid Ash-Greninja.

Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Copy Cat
- Feint
- Destiny Bond

Scrappy works without the awkward prediction tactics of picking Thief if you predict a Ghost switch-in, but be advised that without Hustle, this one hits noticably weaker. Save these Lopunny's to ensure you can KO their Ghost types before they KO you.

Destiny Bond allows Lopunny to takes it's foe with it.

Copycat could be used for revenge kill coverage such as against a Mega Steelix that survived and KOed the last Lopunny with Precipice Blades/Thousand Arrows, allowing you to hit it with its own attack super effectively.

Ability: Innards Out
Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Destiny Bond
- Feint
- Pulverizing Pancake

Innards out works on frail Pokemon b/c bulky Pokemon usually get low instead of 1HKOed. If Lopunny goes down, so does the worn down foe.

This one has Pulverizing Pancake so that Arceus can also use Assist and call upon it.

Arceus @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Destiny Bond
- Pulverizing Pancake

Arceus is no longer slower than Lopunny, has better Defenses and can revenge kill. Hustle basically grants it a free Choice Band with no accuracy loss and is needed for the extra power.

It's Speed hits 442 Speed with the Choice Scarf, 1 Speed higher than the Beauty Ultra Beast.

Slaking @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Spiky Shield
- Mirror Move

After 1 Boost, Slaking sits at 448 Speed, just above the 441 threshold of the Beauty Ultra Beast, and without fear of Priority blockers preventing me from using Assist.

Whether the foe moved before you or not Mirror Move works with Flynium Z to boost +2 Attack, and if the foe has moved before you, the boost take precedence and then hits the opponent with the same move they used on Slaking- all while not impacting the use of Assist.

I use it on Slaking's first turn out to guarantee that I go second so this way Mirror Move can pick up the foe's attack, such as KO a Dragon type after they use a Dragon move, and be ready for a sweep next turn at +2 Attack and +1 Speed.

Spiky Shield KO's Shedinja.

Regigigas @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Baneful Bunker
- Destiny Bond

Regigas's Feint might get stopped by Mewtwo-Y's Dazzling, but Innards out will KO it.

I previously said it doesn't work on Bulky Pokemon, in the case of a sweeper whom has perfect HP after setting up, Innards out works well, while Rocky Helmet stops Shedinja.

Last edited:
Here is the Ultimate Assist Team.

I tried to use Pixelate, Galvanate, Refrigerate, and Aerilate, both with the Z-move in the move set itself, and through Assist. I noticed that in both scenarios that the type was still Normal. Perhaps this means that Entrainment Mega Gengar wont be able to stop Z-Attacks like they do regular attacks; otherwise this is an error that needs to be corrected.

This forces me to use Scrappy on a Fast Normal-Type to gain STAB for Pulverizing Pancake and still be able to hit all types for damage.

Due to the nature of the moves being repeated, I will only explain each move 1x.
Also, each Pokemon's HP is at a number divisible by 16 + 1 for the sake of Spikes, Sandstorm, Stealth Rocks, etc.

Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Feint
- Destiny Bond

Assist calls upon Pulverizing Pancake, and like all Z-moves it never misses, and breaks through all forms of Protect, allowing the fastest Normal type Pokemon to hit with Hustle and a Choice Band with no accuracy loss.

Thief hits Ghost types and Solgaleo hard enough without affecting Assist's chance of calling Pulverizing Pancake every time.

Destiny Bond is one of the few moves that makes sense on a fast and frail Pokemon without affecting Assist.

Feint matches the priority of Extreme Speed, but it also breaks through Protect, and doesn't impact Assist. It gains STAB and is great for revenge killing a foe that tries to use Extreme Speed.

8 HP EVs hits 273, which is divisible by 16 + 1 for calculating Spikes, Stealth Rocks, etc. damage.
Max Speed investment lets it reach 405 Speed because you need to at least speed tie other Base 135 Speed foes as well as outrun 399 Speed Timid Ash-Greninja.

Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Copy Cat
- Feint
- Destiny Bond

Scrappy works without the awkward prediction tactics of picking Thief if you predict a Ghost switch-in, but be advised that without Hustle, this one hits noticably weaker. Save these Lopunny's to ensure you can KO their Ghost types before they KO you.

Destiny Bond allows Lopunny to takes it's foe with it.

Copycat could be used for revenge kill coverage such as against a Mega Steelix that survived and KOed the last Lopunny with Precipice Blades/Thousand Arrows, allowing you to hit it with its own attack super effectively.

Jolly Nature
- Assist
- Destiny Bond
- Feint
- Pulverizing Pancake

Innards out works on frail Pokemon b/c bulky Pokemon usually get low instead of 1HKOed. If Lopunny goes down, so does the worn down foe.

This one has Pulverizing Pancake so that Arceus can also use Assist and call upon it.

Arceus @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 80 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Destiny Bond
- Pulverizing Pancake

Arceus is no longer slower than Lopunny, has better Defenses and can revenge kill. Hustle basically grants it a free Choice Band with no accuracy loss and is needed for the extra power.

It's Speed hits 442 Speed with the Choice Scarf, 1 Speed higher than the Beauty Ultra Beast.

Slaking @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Spiky Shield
- Mirror Move

After 1 Boost, Slaking sits at 448 Speed, just above the 441 threshold of the Beauty Ultra Beast, and without fear of Priority blockers preventing me from using Assist.

Whether the foe moved before you or not Mirror Move works with Flynium Z to boost +2 Attack, and if the foe has moved before you, the boost take precedence and then hits the opponent with the same move they used on Slaking- all while not impacting the use of Assist.

I use it on Slaking's first turn out to guarantee that I go second so this way Mirror Move can pick up the foe's attack, such as KO a Dragon type after they use a Dragon move, and be ready for a sweep next turn at +2 Attack and +1 Speed.

Spiky Shield KO's Shedinja.

Regigigas @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Def
Adamant Nature
- Assist
- Thief
- Baneful Bunker
- Destiny Bond

Regigas's Feint might get stopped by Mewtwo-Y's Dazzling, but Innards out will KO it.

I previously said it doesn't work on Bulky Pokemon, in the case of a sweeper whom has perfect HP after setting up, Innards out works well, while Rocky Helmet stops Shedinja.
Um, you are aware that z-moves cannot be called by assist, right? This team will likely cease to function on the next restart.
https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/commit/f1f137af9cc7e4921bf162cb9e44f272fe54e931
https://github.com/Zarel/Pokemon-Showdown/commit/2f4aaa2824ed9cee433e789d9729db3fd2ae694b
Also, z-moves cannot have their type changed through an ability, which is why -ate is useless with them.

So is Gen 7 BH even available on Pokemon Showdown right now? I don't see the gen 7 mons on the BH teambuilder.

Also, Galvanize Xurkitree with Boomburst. Imagine that power.

Ren

fuck it if i cant have him
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So is Gen 7 BH even available on Pokemon Showdown right now? I don't see the gen 7 mons on the BH teambuilder.

Also, Galvanize Xurkitree with Boomburst. Imagine that power.
Make them under the Gen 7 BH category (or any other Gen 7 metagame.) They won't show up otherwise.

edit: sniped

I agree that it'd be powerful, but unfortunately it wouldn't work out as well as it sounds. The problem with Galvanize right now is that there's stuff like Zygarde-C and Pdon running around. Almost every single team I've seen carries a Zygarde-Complete (barring Deoxys-A spam and Assist spam) and Primal Groudon is common as well. These mons are good and you'd be better off using a different -ate. Granted this isn't Generation 6 where you're limited to a single -ate, but even so there are better things that can occupy the team slot that Xurkitree would. Also, Xurkitree is slow and it doesn't have great bulk for a metagame like BH. I guess you can play around Primal Groudon and Perfect Zygarde, but I feel like playing around threats of this magnitude (no pun intended) is a dangerous game to play. You'll likely have to play this game anyways, though, and I can see how this may be a weak point in my post.

In conclusion, Galavanize Xurkitree would be extremely powerful. However, it doesn't have the bulk, typing, or speed to be successful in my opinion. There aren't many things in the current metagame that wall this Xurkitree set, but the ones that do wall it are extremely common (Primal Groudon and Zygarde namely.) You could speed creep Zygarde-Complete but most Primal Groudons I've seen run some sort of move that boosts speed (like Quiver Dance or Shift Gear). That's why I feel as though this set would be generally unsuccessful.

yea most UBs are pretty dong in BH which may or may not come to a surprise to many, mostly because of not being able to compare to the godlike Ubers stat-wise (the aforementioned Xurkitree for instance). I haven't seen any UBs in action at all besides shitty Innards Out Guzzlord memes because of it.

In any case, here's a little set I've been trying out:

Tyranitar-Mega @ Icium Z
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash ICE HAMMER
- Knock Off
- Roost

Acts as a WB check whilst also packing the potential to clean OHKO a Zygod (assuming no Fur Coat) with the Ice Z-move. Icicle Crash is there to boost the Z-Move to 160 BP but other than that its pretty useless Forgot Ice Hammer was a thing, rippp. It makes Subzero Slammer a 180 BP move which is a little better now, secures the OHKO 100% of the time. So far its claimed only 2 victims but damn its so very satisfying when it works. Also I'm using TTar over Pdon mostly cos I've seen a few people improof their Water Bubble mons with their TTar so it was more of a cteaming idea, so I'm sure Pdon can pull off a similar set.

Last edited:
Here is a glance of what I have been tinkering with. These Pokémon I'm about to post have gotten me to a peak of 7th place on BH Gen 7 Ladder, but as of late I have fallen behind due to the threats that still haven't been banned like Dazzling Hoopa U with a Focus Sash, Power Trip, Stored Power, and Shell Smash, and Mewtwo Mega Y with the same set but with Power Trip replaced by coverage. After a boost, these KO significant portions of the metagame with a +2 140 bp STAB attack off of their ridiculous offensive prowess. But enough about those 2, and more about 2 of more hidden threats that can sweep unprepared teams.

The God Killer:

Groudon-Primal @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thousand Arrows
- Bonemerang
- Icicle Crash

Sometimes, you can never have too much power. Just enough speed EVs to, after the scarf, outspeed base 150 speed demons like Deoxys Attack, nullify priority like Aerilate Extreme Speed, and can hit opponents hard with its high 459 attack. You can opt to invest 252 EVs into speed and go Adamant, which will secure a vastly larger amount of KOs with Thousand Arrows, but will completely nullify the purpose of this Pokémon: Target your opponents glass cannons and remove them from play. V-Create is, of course, a staple, and it will decimate anything that isn't a resist. However, it suffers from the introduction of Zygarde Complete and Water Bubble Primal Kyogre. Thousand Arrows is usually your go-to move if the enemy has a Flying type and you are worried they will switch to it, but it just barely misses out on the 2HKO on Yvetal and Mega Rayquaza unless you are Adamant. Bonemerang is used to break past Focus Sashes on Pokémon such as Shell Smash Hoopa-U/MM2Y and on Deo-A Spam, but can also be used over Thousand Arrows if you think the opponent will switch, but should only be used as such if they have no Flying types. Icicle Crash is necessary coverage, OHKOing Mega Rayquaza and 2HKOing Zygarde Complete, and 3HKOing Fur Coat Zygarde Complete. This should also be used if you predict a switch in, if you think they will switch to something it hits super effectively, as it can effectively ruin them, It also has an even 30% chance of beating Fur Coat Zygarde since Icicle Crash has a 30% flinch rate. 1 hit on the switch in, 2 flinch, 3 dead. A big counter to this Primal Groudon, though, is the same Pokémon that overshadowed it in Generations 3-5: Kyogre. It can only KO safely if Kyogre was hit by an Adamant Thousand Arrows or a Bonemerang on the switch-in, and Jolly is better than Adamant, while predicting a switch to Kyogre with Flying types on the field is very risky, as it can give the enemy a free switch in AND a free turn while you switch out.

The Soul Stealer:

Regigigas @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Facade
- Spore
- Shift Gear
- Spectral Thief

It never hurts to teach an old dog new tricks. This is the Gen 6 Poison Heal Regigigas set, but with Knock Off replaced by Spectral Thief. Spectral Thief will not only steal the opponents stat boosts, helping you flip the tables on setup-reliant Pokémon, but will also fail to steal boosts or deal damage when used on Regigigas because it is Normal type, effectively guaranteeing that you get to keep your boosts. +6 Speed Regigigas, in the heat of battle, is not overly hard to reach, and outspeeds +2 Max Speed MM2Y, meaning it can safely defeat it after it reaches that level of power. 110/110/110 bulk with HP investment also takes even the hardiest of hits, and can even beat Chansey since it can use Spore on Chansey and Chansey's Facade is 70 BP, meaning even at +3 Attack, it won't KO a full health Regigigas. This description is short because this is based off the Gen 6 Smogon set for Regigigas in BH, and so you can refer there for more information about it.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Make them under the Gen 7 BH category (or any other Gen 7 metagame.) They won't show up otherwise.

edit: sniped

I agree that it'd be powerful, but unfortunately it wouldn't work out as well as it sounds. The problem with Galvanize right now is that there's stuff like Zygarde-C and Pdon running around. Almost every single team I've seen carries a Zygarde-Complete (barring Deoxys-A spam and Assist spam) and Primal Groudon is common as well. These mons are good and you'd be better off using a different -ate. Granted this isn't Generation 6 where you're limited to a single -ate, but even so there are better things that can occupy the team slot that Xurkitree would. Also, Xurkitree is slow and it doesn't have great bulk for a metagame like BH. I guess you can play around Primal Groudon and Perfect Zygarde, but I feel like playing around threats of this magnitude (no pun intended) is a dangerous game to play. You'll likely have to play this game anyways, though, and I can see how this may be a weak point in my post.

In conclusion, Galavanize Xurkitree would be extremely powerful. However, it doesn't have the bulk, typing, or speed to be successful in my opinion. There aren't many things in the current metagame that wall this Xurkitree set, but the ones that do wall it are extremely common (Primal Groudon and Zygarde namely.) You could speed creep Zygarde-Complete but most Primal Groudons I've seen run some sort of move that boosts speed (like Quiver Dance or Shift Gear). That's why I feel as though this set would be generally unsuccessful.
I'm going to add to this as I have used Galvanize Xurkitree.

It's not awful. It's not a mon I'd say never use. My low to mid ladder experience with it was mostly nailing and OHKOing Zygarde-100's on the switch with Ice Beam and / or getting walled by Pdon. It's power is extreme, and yes it can do silly things like OHKO specially defensive Registeel,

252+ SpA Choice Specs Galvanize Xurkitree Boomburst vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Registeel: 327-385 (89.8 - 105.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

but the meta is trending towards offense right now, and that means that Xurkitree will rarely get to fire off more than one attack, if that. Slow and frail is not a good combination. I ended up dropping Xurkitree for something else (Audino I think? Gengar-Mega?) and the team has worked much better since then. If the meta was more stallish then maybe Xurkitree's excessive power would be more suitable, but even then Electric typing does it no favors with a specs set (ground types, lightningrod, volt absorb, not that anyone uses those abilities, but every team has ground types except dumb Deo-A spam), and other sets... well I haven't tried them but they lack the same power. I'd be happy if someone makes it work well, maybe with Tailwind support or something, but I don't see Xurkitree as more than a gimmick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)