UU Community Create-a-Team - Team #5 | Hiatus

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
forgot to post this but... I did extend the deadline 1 day (starting from yesterday so you have ~8 hours to post)

Keldeo @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Endeavor

This Keldeo set really intrigued me and for the few times I have used it, it really has been able to surprise me and also my opponents due to how unorthodox the set is. Keldeo can spam Substitute on mons that it can beat in order to activate Salac Berry, which then allows it to surprise its checks and counters such as Amoonguss, Latias, Starmie, Clefable, etc. with Endeavor which puts them into 2HKO range, or at least severely weakens them. As for team mates, I can see Pokemon that dislike bulky-Waters (bar Jellicent), Amoonguss, Latias, and Clefable such as Mega Aero, Cobalion, etc. to pair really nicely with this Keldeo set.

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
voting time!!!!

we have...
A Cake Wearing A Hat - Hawlucha

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 28 HP / 248 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Swords Dance

There's not much I can say about Hawlucha that I haven't said in other posts around the UU forums. It's a great cleaner/sweeper in the current metagame, and quite underrated. The given spread lets it outspeed base 115 mons while also being able to activate unburden after switching into rocks twice and subbing once, just in case.

This mon enjoys the support of wallbreakers, things that can deal more easily with the Psychic and Fairy types in the tier, and it also enjoys things that can take out Scizor easily (Especially the Band set, which Hawlucha struggles with more than the others). It also can synergize somewhat with mons with Fighting or Dark weaknesses thanks to its innate ability to punish choice-locked fighting and dark moves. Or, you know, you could just add more flying types to the team until all of Lucha's checks die from getting bravely birded to death. That works too.

I had to recommend this for one of these sooner or later. Might as well do it now.

pokemon sparrow - Primarina

Primarina @ Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 SpA / ??? / ???
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Scald / Energy Ball / Sparkling Aria
Onto my submission! I would like to nominate Primarina. This Pokemon is a massive threat in the current metagame, due to its fantastic typing both offensively and defensively. Prima can run coverage to hit common switch ins such as Amoonguss, and dedicated counters are not difficult to handle, those being: Blissey, Snorlax & Empoleon. Downsides to Primarina are its low speed tier and the fact that it's easily revenge KO'd because of this. Most of the time Primarina is running max speed in order to alleviate this, but I've also seen a few people running bulkier spreads, in order to afford more survivability whilst still being fast enough to out pace threats to its team. Due to this I would like to leave the EV spread for Primarina up for debate, I've seen some very interesting options in the past where Primarina has been run along stand alone Trick Room sweepers such as Reuniclus & Cofagrigus - perhaps this could be the path we choose to follow.

CoolStoryBrobat - Haxorus

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Iron Tail

It's UU for a reason ain't it? A setup sweeper I feel isn't seen enough in the meta, DD Haxorus is pretty potent and I have seen it used to success on offensive teams. Of course offensive checks like Scizor and Scarf Hydreigon will be annoying for this guy, as well as things like Clefable and Klefki. But given that Haxorus can break through Unaware Quagsire/Clefable commonly seen on stall teams, it's got a lot of potential that I think would be kind of cool to explore in a project such as this.

HotFuzzBall - SubSalac Keldeo

Keldeo @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Substitute
- Endeavor

This Keldeo set really intrigued me and for the few times I have used it, it really has been able to surprise me and also my opponents due to how unorthodox the set is. Keldeo can spam Substitute on mons that it can beat in order to activate Salac Berry, which then allows it to surprise its checks and counters such as Amoonguss, Latias, Starmie, Clefable, etc. with Endeavor which puts them into 2HKO range, or at least severely weakens them. As for team mates, I can see Pokemon that dislike bulky-Waters (bar Jellicent), Amoonguss, Latias, and Clefable such as Mega Aero, Cobalion, etc. to pair really nicely with this Keldeo set.

Voting ends on 4/24/2017 @11:59 PM PST

Similarly to sparrow, I will encourage people to just add 1-2 sentences of explanation to explain why you voted for what you chose ^^

sparrow

kacaw
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I am going to vote for CSB's DD Haxorus, it's rare to see an effective Haxorus build; Dragon Dance has a lot of potential. Able to power its way through stall, and threaten the meta with a +1 speed boost make it difficult to handle once set up. I'd like to see us come up with an effective way of using Haxorus, whether it be through facilitating its sweep or utilising its breaking prowess to assist its team.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Voting Primarina as well because it's not to explored of a mon outside of its Specs sets. Sets like bulky Primarina and even Work Up can be interesting options to mess with, too....Not just voting Primarina because it was half of my nomination in Round 1 either lol

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
alrighto, building will now commence

also if you have tried out the team already, let us know what your thoughts are on the RMT itself! http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/uu-community-create-a-team-1.3601706/. I'll definitely input my thoughts once I get to test out the team a bit more too.

so we will be looking at Haxorus for the next few weeks!

CoolStoryBrobat - Haxorus - 4
A Cake Wearing A Hat - Hawlucha - 3
pokemon sparrow - Primarina - 2
HotFuzzBall - Keldeo - 1

Deadline - 11:59 PM PST @ 4/26/2017

Haxorus @ Life Orb / Lum Berry / Dragonium Z
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab / Iron Tail

I think Specs. Magneton would make a great partner, checks fairys and steels and beats zor and sharp pretty well. Gives a kinda slow volt turn in after a resisted hit. Over all just makes a solid partner that helps beat some of hax's checks.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

On a side note if we need to res. A spot how long do we get? Im not home so i was gunna res. But i wasnt sure about the threats policy on it.

Edit: thank you, just wanted to make sure before i did it.

Last edited:
Alright so for my nomination, I felt like this guy would be a cool partner for Haxorus; especially after a couple of test battles. I'll say that is wasn't perfect or great in the tests but, it was pretty neat and gave me a new view on how to go about sweeping with Haxorus.
Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Toxic
For the set-up sweeper, Haxorus, Z-Parting Shot will be really great as an assist, especially since how Haxorus is a great wallbreaker and if you're running Life Orb then, it'll get worn down pretty easily. Giving Haxorus a couple chances at sweeping with a fast parting shot is very useful too. Persian-A is also a great pivot to use from time to time and parting shot is a great way to get in other team mates pretty safely. Taunt + Toxic is also a great way to keep Hippo low on HP and to stop it from using whirlwind/roar when attempting a sweep with Haxorus.

I'll throw out Nidoking as a nomination to help Haxorus. In CoolStoryBrobat's original description, he mentioned Scizor, Clefable, and Klefki as problems for Haxorus. Yet this Nidoking can handle those threats. Earth Power takes out Klefki and other Steels that would resist Haxorus's STAB, Sludge Wave for Clefable and other Fairies (Poison Jab can be considered if the team ends up really weak to CM Clef) and Flamethrower for Scizor and Klefki that get a Magnet Rise up. That last slot can be really customized to fit the team and since it's really early in the teambuilding, I left it up to interpretation (in case the team doesn't need Nido to run flamethrower, Taunt can always be useful to stop slower set-up users, hazards, etc, and rocks in case no rocker gets added to the team. Even Superpower can be considered with a Naive nature). Anyways here's the set:

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Taunt / Stealth Rock

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
I had a hard time thinking of something to recommend this time, so I'm just gonna go with the default and suggest to add Scizor. I'm gonna put a spin on one of the standard sets just to keep things interesting though.

Offensive SD U-turn Scizor
Scizor @ Iron Plate / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Knock Off / Roost

I feel like this would be helpful for our team. It'd pack on the offensive pressure while also providing momentum, and would also give us additional setup. We also get something with which to punch fairies.

If you guys want, this could also just be changed to standard offensive SD, or standard choice band Scizor. Just say the word.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
upload_2017-4-25_23-4-28.gif

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

Since Haxorus is so weak to Fairies I figured my first nomination would be another Guts Fighting-type cause they're so good a decent Fairy lure in Flame Orb Guts Conkeldurr with Poison Jab. While Conk is highly customizeable I think the moves listed here are probably the best when partnering it with Haxorus since it's able to outspeed and KO Clefable after some prior damage, while being able to fend off Gliscor and Latias switch-ins with Ice Punch. If Flame Orb is active already, Conkeldurr doesn't mind Thunder Wave from Klefki either, and is capable of doing a huge amount of damage with Drain Punch if needed. Since Conk lacks Knock Off, you'd need partners for mons like Starmie, Slowbro, Chandelure, and Tentacruel, the former two Haxorus can't really risk trying to handle at all. The EVs outspeed uninvested base 65s like Scizor and Alomomola, mons Haxorus really appreciates having leverage against.

Attachments

HotFuzzBall

fuzzy-chan \(ㆁヮㆁ✿)
is an Artist
internet went out last night, apologize for tardiness. we have...

JoarAddamNessosin - Magneton
I think Specs. Magneton would make a great partner, checks fairys and steels and beats zor and sharp pretty well. Gives a kinda slow volt turn in after a resisted hit. Over all just makes a solid partner that helps beat some of hax's checks.

Magneton @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

tmacbalanced - Alolan-Persian
Alright so for my nomination, I felt like this guy would be a cool partner for Haxorus; especially after a couple of test battles. I'll say that is wasn't perfect or great in the tests but, it was pretty neat and gave me a new view on how to go about sweeping with Haxorus.
Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Parting Shot
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Toxic
For the set-up sweeper, Haxorus, Z-Parting Shot will be really great as an assist, especially since how Haxorus is a great wallbreaker and if you're running Life Orb then, it'll get worn down pretty easily. Giving Haxorus a couple chances at sweeping with a fast parting shot is very useful too. Persian-A is also a great pivot to use from time to time and parting shot is a great way to get in other team mates pretty safely. Taunt + Toxic is also a great way to keep Hippo low on HP and to stop it from using whirlwind/roar when attempting a sweep with Haxorus.

OrangeGuru - Nidoking
I'll throw out Nidoking as a nomination to help Haxorus. In CoolStoryBrobat's original description, he mentioned Scizor, Clefable, and Klefki as problems for Haxorus. Yet this Nidoking can handle those threats. Earth Power takes out Klefki and other Steels that would resist Haxorus's STAB, Sludge Wave for Clefable and other Fairies (Poison Jab can be considered if the team ends up really weak to CM Clef) and Flamethrower for Scizor and Klefki that get a Magnet Rise up. That last slot can be really customized to fit the team and since it's really early in the teambuilding, I left it up to interpretation (in case the team doesn't need Nido to run flamethrower, Taunt can always be useful to stop slower set-up users, hazards, etc, and rocks in case no rocker gets added to the team. Even Superpower can be considered with a Naive nature). Anyways here's the set:

Nidoking @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower / Taunt / Stealth Rock

A Cake Wearing A Hat - Offensive Scizor
I had a hard time thinking of something to recommend this time, so I'm just gonna go with the default and suggest to add Scizor. I'm gonna put a spin on one of the standard sets just to keep things interesting though.

Offensive SD U-turn Scizor
Scizor @ Iron Plate / Life Orb / Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower / Knock Off / Roost

I feel like this would be helpful for our team. It'd pack on the offensive pressure while also providing momentum, and would also give us additional setup. We also get something with which to punch fairies.

If you guys want, this could also just be changed to standard offensive SD, or standard choice band Scizor. Just say the word.

CoolStoryBrobat - Conkeldurr
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Poison Jab
- Mach Punch

Since Haxorus is so weak to Fairies I figured my first nomination would be another Guts Fighting-type cause they're so good a decent Fairy lure in Flame Orb Guts Conkeldurr with Poison Jab. While Conk is highly customizeable I think the moves listed here are probably the best when partnering it with Haxorus since it's able to outspeed and KO Clefable after some prior damage, while being able to fend off Gliscor and Latias switch-ins with Ice Punch. If Flame Orb is active already, Conkeldurr doesn't mind Thunder Wave from Klefki either, and is capable of doing a huge amount of damage with Drain Punch if needed. Since Conk lacks Knock Off, you'd need partners for mons like Starmie, Slowbro, Chandelure, and Tentacruel, the former two Haxorus can't really risk trying to handle at all. The EVs outspeed uninvested base 65s like Scizor and Alomomola, mons Haxorus really appreciates having leverage against.

Deadline - 4/28/2017 @ 3 PM PST

Last edited:
While I would have preferred a Healing Wish user to free up the Z-slot, I like the balance-inclined approach Alolan Persian brings to the table. Even with a team built around Haxorus, I usually dislike the HO or BO approach.

Being a fast pivot that is actually able to switch into attacks is almost invaluable in this metagame (looking at you, Cobalion); and this one, unlike ordinary Volt-Turners, is even able to soften the enemy's attacks while pivoting. The Z-Parting Shot is only the icing of the cake, giving Haxorus a second chance to sweep.

So yeah, tmacbalanced 's Alolan Persian gets my vote.

Nidoking is great choice as an offensive partner, capable of picking off a lot of mons that gives Haxorus trouble. Scizor is a great threat that can pair well with Haxorus while maintaining solid offensive momentum. Conkeldurr is a cool lure that can wallbreak teams with Haxorus while also being a great pivot for status issues which allows more freedom to what item we want Haxorus to hold (instead of lum berry we can choose a different item that allows Haxorus to do more damage).
So aside from what others might have said about Nidoking being the best option, I actually disagree. Nidoking lacks speed while Scizor and Conkeldurr have priority (their priority is probably the best in the game; aside from Bisharp's strong sucker punch). Not only that, Scizor and Conkeldurr are better pivots with recovery options in roost and drain punch respectively. I feel like Scizor and Conkeldurr will be able to do more in a game, aside from taking out threats for Haxorus, while also having better longevity than Nidoking. Now, Nidoking isn't a horrible option (it's a great option that pairs well with Haxorus offensively) but, it's certainly not the best. If anything Conk and Scizor give more flexibility team building wise and in what set we want to use with Haxorus.
I'll cast my vote off for Conkeldurr. The reason for that being is because I don't want Haxorus to hold a lum berry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)