2017/18 (Soccer) Football Thread

Argentina's terminal illness goes on.

Special mentions to Mascherano's tiny but really stupid penalty and Messi vanishing from the game after Nigeria's goal (like he always does).

First time ever Germany is knocked out in group stages of the World Cup.

Though actually not the first time they get knocked out in the first round (defeat to Switzerland in 1938).

I'm not happy with Germany's elimination, even thought i'm brazilian. They are a big team and they deserved more luck.

Mentira, tô feliz pra caralho, vai se foder Alemanha.

Isn't it ironic?

FIFA made the World Cup champions to play the qualifiers after France's horrible elimination in the group stages in the 2002 World Cup. The reasoning was that they couldn't get enough preparation by not playing the qualifiers.

Ever since this system was introduced, three champions out of four have been knocked out in group stages - Brazil in 2006 being the only one to avoid this.

Given the terrible results of that system, the only thing I can think of that could stop the surprises the FIFA clearly doesn't want is two rounds in the group stages.

Last edited:

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I live in an English dominated area of Australia, and their fans are the most insufferable bunch of human beings I've ever met. Noisy, rude, obnoxious. They've only played the two worst teams in the entire world cup and they carry on like they're an actual threat to win it this year.

I can't wait till Belgium (my pre-cup pick) beat them tonight.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I live in an English dominated area of Australia, and their fans are the most insufferable bunch of human beings I've ever met. Noisy, rude, obnoxious. They've only played the two worst teams in the entire world cup and they carry on like they're an actual threat to win it this year.

I can't wait till Belgium (my pre-cup pick) beat them tonight.
hope theyre not keeping you up at night xoxoxo

After all this media and hype, it's gonna be hilarious when Colombia put England out. Probably the 10th best team left in the tournament and yet acting like only Brazil and Spain are threats to them.

Last edited:

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
jokes with stallion aside that game was a non-event for me. both teams made at 9 changes and now if we beat colombia we’ve got a good chance of getting to semis and playing spain.

i believe and fuck anyone who says i shouldnt

We weren’t even trying to grab an equaliser. We just left their 3 centre-halves to keep the ball for the last 20 minutes of the game.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
England fans don't mind, easy side of the draw if you lose lol
Belgium B beat England B..

England progress to the semis.. :P
have you seen the side of the draw england have, most wanted 2nd
jokes with stallion aside that game was a non-event for me. both teams made at 9 changes and now if we beat colombia we’ve got a good chance of getting to semis and playing spain.
>loses to the first decent team they encounter in the WC
>"all according to keikakku lads, lgi!"

After all this media and hype, it's gonna be hilarious when Colombia put England out. Probably the 10th best team left in the tournament and yet acting like only Brazil and Spain are threats to them.
Yeah I mean they barely beat Tunisia, but suddenly they're the #1 team after smacking the GIANT Panama. defo rooting for Los Cafeteros on this one.

Yeah I mean they barely beat Tunisia, but suddenly they're the #1 team after smacking the GIANT Panama. defo rooting for Los Cafeteros on this one.
We absolutely destroyed Tunisia and nearly drew because of 3 awful refereeing decisions. What were you watching?

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
England is definitely better than every time in their side of the bracket except Spain. Granted, they're probably worse than Uruguay, Portugal, France, Brazil and Belgium but fortunately they won't have to face any of those teams. As for Colombia, with James injured they are quite an average side and England should be able to beat them.

At the end of the day however, the difference between the 3rd and 10th best team is small and the majority of the games will be close, upsets are bound to happen and England could be at the end of one of them. Worth remembering that even the best sides (Brazil and Spain) could have been eliminated in the group stage with just a moment of bad luck against them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)