Playoffs Smogon Tour Season 29 Playoffs - Finals [Won by ABR]

WhiteQueen

the queen bee
is a Tiering Contributorwon the 11th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Past SPL Champion
go luck to all you coronavirus infected niggas. SS is the best metagame I’ve ever seen, and I can’t wait to see all these high level SS games to learn the tier and get back into Pokémon again. every fucking team has clefable, black bird, and toad. or clefable, toxapex, and black bird. Or clefable, toad, and mandibuzz. Clefable is pretty much in 100% of the teams, and she’s accompanied by one of the aforementioned combo. Very unique and interesting generation of Pokémon for sure.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
In honor of Empo defeating Bloo's record, I have decided to compile some data regarding the best single season performances in regular season Smogon Tour history! Please note that this is only from season 8 onward. Data from seasons 1-7 was only recorded on-site as far as I can tell and is no longer accessible, but it is very unlikely that anyone from those seasons broke 50 points due to the significantly smaller tournament sizes back then.

50 Point Club
  1. Empo - 78 (season 29)
  2. Bloo - 74 (season 18)
  3. ABR - 64 (season 25)
  4. ABR - 58 (season 29)
  5. Finchinator - 56 (season 28) [tied for fifth]
  6. PDC - 56 (season 19) [tied for fifth]
  7. Bluewind - 56 (season 10) [tied for fifth] [twelve week season]
  8. Ojama - 55 (season 15) [tied for eighth]
  9. Finchinator - 55 (season 29) [tied for eighth]
  10. reyscarface - 54 (season 13)
  11. McMeghan - 53 (season 18)
  12. Bloo - 52 (season 17)
  13. ABR - 51 (season 23)
Only three individuals all-time have ever topped 60 points; Empo breaking the record with a whopping 78 points is even more impressive when you look at things relatively. This season in general was quite inflated (has 3 of the top 10) due to increased SmogonTour sizes, but what Empo has done is still the best single season of Smogon Tour qualification of all time in my eyes.

Single Season Point Record Holders

Season 8: imperfectluck, 38 points
Season 9: Lady Bug, 40 points
Seasons 10-17: Bluewind, 56 points [twelve week season]
Season 18-28: Bloo, 74 points
Season 29: Empo, 78 points

Prior to Empo breaking Bloo's record, it held for five years, which was the longest time this record has been held by any individual prior. Bluewind held the record with 56 points for three and a half years, but his season was the one season that had four cycles of the three tiers included, which naturally inflates point totals. If you dismiss Bluewind's efforts due to the prolonged season, then reyscarface hit 54 points a year and a half later, Ojama hit 55 points a year after that, and then Bloo finally blew both of those totals away with 74 points a year and a half after Ojama's 55.

16a. Raiza VS. 16b. Typhlosion48 - Raiza is pretty solid. He was good in SPL and I thought he secured playoffs early before I realized how high the cutoff was this year. However, Typhlosion48 is an excellent nickname, so as long as he doesn't change it to something stupid like "Typh" he gets massive bonus points from me. I thought he was Brazilian, but apparently he's French which made me slightly upset, as Brazilians are always a treat to watch in the lobby. Despite being an inferior starter in Gold, Typhlosion wins here.

1. Empo VS. 16. Tiebreak winner - Last time we saw a Smogon Tour performance as dominant as this, Tricking lost R1 to, ironically, Empo being 16th seed. Won't happen this time though. Empo made that Aegislash balance team, which is about the only SS team I've ever used, meaning he'll have a place in my heart forever. I secretly hope Empo wins this tour, because he'd deserve to crown that regular season dominance with a trophy. Empo to win all three (or not, what do I know, I haven't played since last summer).

2. ABR VS. 15. Ash KetchumGamer - Insert something about prepping for rain. You've heard it before. Another amazing name though, and this one I'm actually sure is Brazilian. ABR always wins, he still seems hungry and is good at SS. I'm tired of writing already.

3. Finchinator VS. 14. Corazan - Writing predictions about Finch is boring. I don't want to talk shit, because that's being rude. I also don't want to gas him, because then I'll look like another one of the OU subforum goons. Corazan has been close a couple of times before, glad to see him make it. Finch favored in all three (probably).

4. SoulWind VS. 13. McMeghan - This is actually worth predicting. SoulWind lost a dimension in playoffs with BW being cut, but he did well in that one SS invitational, and his SS points were good, although knowing him, he used virgin strats to get them. I saw McMeghan use Inteleon in regular season, a mon I haven't seen since I beat the in-game. Nice. Him missing out on BW sucks too, but he seems to play SS well. The fact that they faced in two of these tiers a year ago is an interesting dynamic. SoulWind favored based on experience.

5. 100percentpureheat VS. 12. Bloody alfa - 100percentpureheat is a terrible nickname (who am I to say), so he's off to a bad start. I saw him get gassed up by starry blanket, which makes me lean even more towards Bloody alfa. He did get fifth seed though, and won a tour as well. Think I've seen his name around, so he's probably solid. Bloody alfa said sorry to me once after I missed a game winning Leaf Storm a few tours ago, which puts him on my good side. He could be my teammate soon if he plays his cards right too, so I feel obligated to predict him.

6. Sayuze VS. 11. MS3D - I always thought Sayuze was good, but a lot of people told me he wasn't, so I guess I'm a genius after all. He's a dick though, so I usually want him to lose when I see him play. I think MS3D is that guy who keeps asking for ORAS games on SmogTours, then proceeds to use Vileplume and Dusknoir. If I'm right, then Sayuze is probably favored. If I'm wrong, then he probably still is. The name feels French too. Not a good thing.

7. Santu VS. 10. Eeveeto - Santu is just... there. He's become that guy who's always in playoffs, beats a big name, then drops afterwards. He survived being on the Bigs this SPL, and came out with a positive record, which shows insane mentality because that team was exceptionally bad. Eeveeto uses garbage Pokemon, which is cool, but he uses them because he thinks they're good and not because they're memes, which is less cool. Expect the obligatory Pokemon anime GIF if he wins. Rooting for him because Europe bias.

8. Pohjis VS. 9. RedEmption

GO POHJIS

Last edited:

Jaajgko

I will disband the soccer club
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'll give my coin but I haven't seen much from a couple players in this
Empo (80) VS. (20) (Typhlosion48 (60) vs (40) Raiza) I think Typhlosion will take SM and SS, and idk about ORAS. Empo is superior than both in all gens tho.
ABR (80) VS. (20) Ash KetchumGamer superior in all gens.
Finchinator VS. Corazan Finch takes ORAS, Cora SM but in SS I have no clue so it's gonna be a tie.
SoulWind (53) VS. (47) McMeghan exactly the same match-up as in Smogon Tour 27. I think ORAS and SM are 50/50, and I trust SW to have spent more time playing SS in the shadows to get his trophy, but this could very well be another 50/50.
100percentpureheat VS. Bloody alfa hard to tell, I haven't seen them play much, I'd like to bold Bloody but I'll be neutral on that one
Sayuze VS. MS3D the sheet would tell me Sayuze but I'll trust MS3D to be underrated.
Santu (65) VS. (35) Eeveeto Santu takes ORAS, Eeveeto wins one of SM and SS, and Santu wins the other one.
Pohjis (60) VS. (40) RedEmption I had this a 50/50 bc Red really surprised me at times but he has also big downsides, and Pohjis is way more proven so I can't really not bold Pohjis here

About the whole tournament, I think Empo will beat the winner of SoulWind vs McMeghan in semis and face ABR in finals, and I'd say ABR has more chances to take it, but I think this MU would be as close as it can get.

p2

Banned deucer.
I think abr and mcmeghan are a cut above everyone else in the tour and seeing abr/roro finals live would most certainly be Epic even if it has happened before

That being said I think this bracket has a lot of unpredictability, lots of danger (finch/sw most notable) and lots of talent who ideally should be able to lock down SM/SS no problem (yuze,100p,empo)

hellpowna

beware of coco
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
empo is the strongest newgen player i've ever seen and his growth in this last years has been amazing!
i also think he is the one with most chances to win this and if he does it'll be the icing on the cake on this amazing run after having destroyed bloo's record, i hope he wins this :)

I also support Mr.Finchinator :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)