Sword & Shield Battle Mechanics Research

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Would it be wise to compile the new tutor move’s mechanics here?
Yes please, sim implementation is based on research from this thread.

Contact moves from Unseen Fist ignore protection entirely, as if it wasn't even there. Aerial Ace against Baneful Bunker goes right through it, Urshifu doesn't get poisoned, and the protection effect sticks around for the rest of the turn.

Scale Shot hits 2-5 times, and the +Speed -Defense effect only occurs after all hits have happened, not after each hit.

SadisticMystic asked if Poltergeist worked when the target is weak to Ghost and holds a Kasib Berry, and it does indeed (but only once!).

Side Shell Arm has different animations and effects based on if it's attacking the Defense or Special Defense stat.
  • If it's attacking the Defense stat, Slowbro walks up and hits the opponent. This also counts as a contact effect, and triggers things like Rough Skin (tested on wild Sharpedo).
  • If it's attacking the Special Defense stat, it stands back and shoots the "gun", and notably does NOT count as a contact move (tested on a different wild Sharpedo).
This both gives you information on the opponent's defenses and changes whether it is a contact move or not.

Side Shell Arm has different animations and effects based on if it's attacking the Defense or Special Defense stat.
  • If it's attacking the Defense stat, Slowbro walks up and hits the opponent. This also counts as a contact effect, and triggers things like Rough Skin (tested on wild Sharpedo).
  • If it's attacking the Special Defense stat, it stands back and shoots the "gun", and notably does NOT count as a contact move (tested on a different wild Sharpedo).
This both gives you information on the opponent's defenses and changes whether it is a contact move or not.
Ok but it is actually always a Special move (aka always using the Special Attack stat)? Or does it become a Physical move (using the Attack stat)?

Yes please, sim implementation is based on research from this thread.

Contact moves from Unseen Fist ignore protection entirely, as if it wasn't even there. Aerial Ace against Baneful Bunker goes right through it, Urshifu doesn't get poisoned, and the protection effect sticks around for the rest of the turn.

Scale Shot hits 2-5 times, and the +Speed -Defense effect only occurs after all hits have happened, not after each hit.

SadisticMystic asked if Poltergeist worked when the target is weak to Ghost and holds a Kasib Berry, and it does indeed (but only once!).
How does Scale Shot interact with Sheer Force?

That's not it. Quick Draw actually shows then it activates.

I suspect the "fast slowpoke" are actually kinda like Eternatus, unique pokemon that you are not able to obtain and not identical to the regular slowpokes.

Edit: small thinking: those Slowpokes only have status moves... I wonder if they just gave them Prankster as ability.
There's only 2 slowpokes internally so I'm guessing they actually just put special parameters for that battle specifically. Something like "opponent always goes first"

I hope they keep experimenting with that moving forward, that, the fairy gym quizes, marnie's cheers and Klara/Avery's special gimmicks were nice!

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
Cracticus asked how Grassy Glide priority works if the terrain changes mid-turn. It changes dynamically like other parts of turn order this gen; if Grassy Terrain is active when the user's place in turn order comes around, it's +1, and if it's not it's 0.

Examples:
  • Grassy Surge Grookey starts the battle, clicks Grassy Glide while Psychic Surge Indeedee switches in next to it. It's 0 priority this turn.
  • Grassy Surge Grookey starts the battle, clicks Grassy Glide while its faster Prankster ally clicks Misty Terrain. Again, 0 priority.

Just dropping a bunch of questions

How often does Quick Draw activate? Same as Quick Claw or different?

How does Jungle Healing work exactly? What percentage does it heal by, and does it only heal allies on the field, or all in the party?

Terrain Pulse: Is it just a Weather Ball clone (100 BP in terrain, and type changes to correspond with terrain) or is it different?

How much stronger do Misty Explosion and Expanding Force become in their corresponding terrain?

The wording of Rising Voltage states that it doubles when the target is affected by Electric Terrain. It doesn't specify that for Misty Explosion, Expanding Force, and Grassy Glide so it can be presumed that it depends on whether there is simply the corresponding terrain on the field, but it would be nice to get some confirmation on it. It could also be that they only increase in power when the user is affected by the terrain.

I've seen assertions that Triple Axel's base powers go 20-40-60, but some confirmation on that would be useful.

What is the burn chance of Scorching Sands?

Corrosive Gas says it "melts away" items that other pokemon are holding. Does this work on Pokemon with Sticky Hold? Ostensibly no (as Incinerate doesn't work on pokemon with Sticky Hold either), but imo is worth testing

How does Poltergeist interact with Kasib Berry? It works and the berry is consumed.

Which moves are contact and not?

Last edited:
Cracticus asked how Grassy Glide priority works if the terrain changes mid-turn. It changes dynamically like other parts of turn order this gen; if Grassy Terrain is active when the user's place in turn order comes around, it's +1, and if it's not it's 0.

Examples:
  • Grassy Surge Grookey starts the battle, clicks Grassy Glide while Psychic Surge Indeedee switches in next to it. It's 0 priority this turn.
  • Grassy Surge Grookey starts the battle, clicks Grassy Glide while its faster Prankster ally clicks Misty Terrain. Again, 0 priority.
What happens if there's no terrain, Grassy Glide user would normally act last, but Prankster ally (or enemy, assume a 2v2) Wihmsicott sets Grassy Terrain? Will Grassy Glide user act instantly after?

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Is Shell Side Arm like Photon Geyser in that it both works off your SpA/Atk and hits the opponent's SpD/Def variably?

Does it check based on raw damage dealt? Opponent's defensive stats? Your offensive stats? Do boosts count? What about abilities? Items?

Not sure if it’s been said already, but Shell Side Arm is adaptive. I faced off against a wild Throh. My G-Slowbro went for SSA and it was initially the physical variant. Then, Throw went for Bulk Up, increasing Defense. The next SSA became the special attacking variant, going after the SpDef and ignoring the defense boost from Bulk Up.

edit; this also counts for your own stat boosts. A Buneary used Flatter on me, increasing my SpA. Like the Throh example, my SSA was physical at first, then changed to Special after the boost.

Last edited:
Not sure if it’s been said already, but Shell Side Arm is adaptive. I faced off against a wild Throh. My G-Slowbro went for SSA and it was initially the physical variant. Then, Throw went for Bulk Up, increasing Defense. The next SSA became the special attacking variant, going after the SpDef and ignoring the defense boost from Bulk Up.
This is very interesting. Question is does it alternate between your physical and special attacking stats or just work like Psyshock/Psychic depending on the opponent.

Is it listed as a special or physical attack, in-game?

This is very interesting. Question is does it alternate between your physical and special attacking stats or just work like Psyshock/Psychic depending on the opponent.

Is it listed as a special or physical attack, in-game?
It’s listed as Special in its description. I’m unsure atm which stat it pulls from. I’m gonna keep looking into it unless someone gets it first.

Did a quick test with Shell Side Arm against a couple of Chansey. My Slowbro was level 55 and the Chansey are level 60. My first test involved my Slowbro using a Modest nature via mint and 252 SpA EVs, 0 Attack EVs (SpA was 170 something and Attack was in the 110s).

Shell Side Arm OHKOd with the Special Attacking test.

I then used a bunch of Hondew berries to remove the SpA EVs, used an Adamant mint and pumped 252 Attack EVs. Stat numbers were around the same but in reverse.

Chansey was OHKOd again.

I can’t say for certain because I don’t have access to mod tools for this game, but I think SSA pulls from the higher attacking stat from the user while pulling from the lower defending stat from the opponent.

Did a quick test with Shell Side Arm against a couple of Chansey. My Slowbro was level 55 and the Chansey are level 60. My first test involved my Slowbro using a Modest nature via mint and 252 SpA EVs, 0 Attack EVs (SpA was 170 something and Attack was in the 110s).

Shell Side Arm OHKOd with the Special Attacking test.

I then used a bunch of Hondew berries to remove the SpA EVs, used an Adamant mint and pumped 252 Attack EVs. Stat numbers were around the same but in reverse.

Chansey was OHKOd again.

I can’t say for certain because I don’t have access to mod tools for this game, but I think SSA pulls from the higher attacking stat from the user while pulling from the lower defending stat from the opponent.
Wait so you're saying that the game calculates 4 possibilities:

att-->def
att-->spdef
spatk-->def
spatk-->spdef

and determines which of the 4 produces the highest damage output, and bases it on that? Because I was assuming there were only 2 possibilities, att-->def and spatk-->spdef.

was this the physical or special animation?
it might be that it compares physical atk slowbro / phys def opponent, against spa slowbrow / spd opponent
It was the physical animation. I just assumed the reason it plays that specific animation is due to the attack going for the physical defense stat.

edit: Here’s a relevant calc:

Lvl 55 0- Atk Slowbro Poison Jab vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0 Def Chansey: 225-265 (57.9 - 68.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This assumes Slowbro is Poison-type and Poison Jab is 90 BP. This also assumes SSA actually does pull from the Attack stat when calculating against the opposing Defense stat. Now, here’s the same scenario but with the Adamant nature and Attack EVs:

Lvl 55 252+ Atk Slowbro Poison Jab vs. Lvl 60 0 HP / 0 Def Chansey: 348-409 (89.6 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

The Chansey in the wild most likely had less Defense IVs because they consistently got OHKOd.

Last edited:
What non-negotiable tasks does Kubfu have to carry out before evolving, so that we might be able to figure out the minimum legal level Urshifu can exist at?

What non-negotiable tasks does Kubfu have to carry out before evolving, so that we might be able to figure out the minimum legal level Urshifu can exist at?
You have to climb the tower with it, so 5 trainer battles whose level depends on how many badges you obtained.
Note that those battles ONLY have Kubfu, but are of single pokemon and fixed species.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)