Sports FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
It's about that time of the year of (probably) the most anticipated / watched sports event. I haven't seen a thread yet dedicated to this event so I thought about posting a discussion / prediction thread since it'll be starting in less then 2 weeks!

This will be the 22nd iteration of the competition, It's usually taken place in the summer but since it will be taking place in Qatar (Which gets dangerously hot in the summer) it'll run from 20 November – 18 December.

1667939894307.png

I'm super excited, and I can't wait to start watching it. Who are you rooting for and what are some of your predictions?

awyp

is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
RMT Leader
I'll probably be rooting for France

I think the teams that get out of the group stages goes as followed:

1. Senegal Netherlands
2. USA England
3. Mexico Argentina
4. France Denmark
5. Spain Germany
6. Belgium Morocco
7. Brazil Swiss
8. Portugal Uruguay

Early prediction Golden Boot: Benzema

I think Morocco are probably the dark horses of the competition

I can see England not making it out of the group stages, but that'll probably be a wild call and that's why I went with them in the group stages.

Kennedy

up the reds
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Agree with most of your group predictions but I don't think Switzerland will make it out of the group tbh, they have a solid enough backline and decent midfield (even if Zakaria hasn't played consistently for a while). I do think they'll just struggle to score goals though, they've always relied on a bit of Shaqiri magic in the past and well as much as I love Shaq, he's a spent force these days. Seferovic really isn't the guy to carry your attack in a world cup.

I reckon Serbia, spearheaded by Mitrovic in the form of his life and Vlahovic, probably take the second qualification spot in that group. Even considering their recent poor form, Tadic and Kostic should be enough of a creative spark to provide the front 2 with good opportunities.

I'm fairly confident England will make it through the group just because Wales are overly reliant on Bale and the US are in a bit of a rut right now, doubt england will go very far past that though.

I'm backing Brazil to win the tournament but there are concerns about their backline being old as fuck and particularly weak on the flanks (how the fuck is Dani Alves in the squad LMAO) but having the best keeper in the world should help mitigate that.

Also, shameless plug for the PS Sports room's predictions form, Fantasy league and predictions league ahead of the tournament!

Agree with most of your group predictions but I don't think Switzerland will make it out of the group tbh, they have a solid enough backline and decent midfield (even if Zakaria hasn't played consistently for a while). I do think they'll just struggle to score goals though, they've always relied on a bit of Shaqiri magic in the past and well as much as I love Shaq, he's a spent force these days. Seferovic really isn't the guy to carry your attack in a world cup.

I reckon Serbia, spearheaded by Mitrovic in the form of his life and Vlahovic, probably take the second qualification spot in that group. Even considering their recent poor form, Tadic and Kostic should be enough of a creative spark to provide the front 2 with good opportunities.

I'm fairly confident England will make it through the group just because Wales are overly reliant on Bale and the US are in a bit of a rut right now, doubt england will go very far past that though.

I'm backing Brazil to win the tournament but there are concerns about their backline being old as fuck and particularly weak on the flanks (how the fuck is Dani Alves in the squad LMAO) but having the best keeper in the world should help mitigate that.

Also, shameless plug for the PS Sports room's predictions form, Fantasy league and predictions league ahead of the tournament!
Vlahovic still out hasnt played minutes for Juve recently i doubt hes back in time but lets see

Hey seems good man i agree Martinelli doesnt really have anything on these guys dont listen to the haters!
Antony is so much better and has skills to make matches more enjoyable same as the others posted above you want the samba/sauce and flair from the brazilians.
Martinelli only runs quick and good dribbling but where is the enjoyment in that??
Football and especially Brazilians are known to entertain the crowd, he should just be called Gilbert Martin tbh.

Here's my top ten ranking for teams i want to win:
  1. Uruguay!
  2. Ecuador!
  3. Argentina!
  4. Brazil!
  5. The ghosts of the thousands of workers as the entire event goes off in flames, with the failure of the Qataris to host a fair and safe world cup makes the entire country look like a clown and be forbidden from ever hosting a mayor sports event again, with FIFA having to pay an incredibly hard price for ruining such a wonderful competition with corruption scandals, effectively leading to thousands of higherups going bankrupt and/or getting arrested from corruption charges and judged accordingly to international laws so that they can't ever taint the event that joins millions around the world with their web of injustice and blindness.
  6. Croatia!
  7. Costa Rica!
  8. Portugal!
  9. Canada!
  10. Spain!

Kennedy

up the reds
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
is a chance for a team from Asia to make it to the quarterfinals
South Korea have the strongest team of all the Asian nations I think, though their best player, Son Heung-min, might be out injured for their first game. Kim Min-jae has looked like one of the best centre-backs in Europe so far this season. They have a really tough group though so I wouldn't expect too much unless they can pull of an upset against one of Uruguay or Portugal.

Qatar honestly might have the best chance of getting through the groups of all the Asian nations due to Senegal potentially being very weakened if Sadio Mané doesn't get over his recent injury as well as the obvious home advantage.

Japan would need either Spain or Germany to really implode to get through, Saudi Arabia have no chance and I really wouldn't think Iran have much of a chance either.

Anything can happen in football but tbh I wouldn't say any of them are likely to get through the groups

Last edited:

awyp

RMT Leader
It's this guy's year, trust
Yeah I have that feeling as well, Argentina has a solid group of guys (Garnacho, Alvarez, Correa, Dybala, Martinez, Messi, Lo Celso, Di Maria) Offensively they have a lot of options, more than they did in 2014.

OUT OF THIS GROUP????? LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AINT NO WAY
I said a fighting chance! Doesn't mean I think they'll go through (I'm thinking Belgium and Morocco) LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)