Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have tested AV pex, and it worked well because I was using it as a damage sponge and a scouting tool. However, I did have to get used to not having haze but it was a great pivot.

Here’s a question: Fire Tauros or Water Tauros?

I have tested AV pex, and it worked well because I was using it as a damage sponge and a scouting tool. However, I did have to get used to not having haze but it was a great pivot.

Here’s a question: Fire Tauros or Water Tauros?
Fire if you need WoW and have very good hazards control. Water with Restalk otherwise, it checks way more threats.

I wish basculin-blue had better stats, because the combination of water stab+rock head+wave crush is pretty good on paper.

unfortunately this gimmick is nowhere near good enough to make it in OU.
Oh boy do I have some good news for you my man!

on another note, what Are the best dragapult sets people have been using? DD Tera blast is still the best imo, and I’m shocked that it’s not talked about more

I think Psychic is also nice into the Iron Moth match up, because otherwise you struggle with its future self. Not sure I would say its the best set, but its an interesting lure. I still think Bulkarona is its best bet until a decision around Chien Pao is reached, but Tera Ice is also cool into Dragonite.

At this point yeah just list off every Tera and go "yeah Volcarona can make this work in this matchup".
Volcarona always seems to play well with means to hit hard outside its STABs, as I recall it also exploited Z-moves very well in Gen 7.

I'm curious how much Volc could experiment with other items if Tera removed its massive SR weakness, since Boots have basically been stapled to it since their introduction for obvious reason. Same applies to a lot of other Rock-Weak Pokemon now or in future.

I'm curious how much Volc could experiment with other items if Tera removed its massive SR weakness, since Boots have basically been stapled to it since their introduction for obvious reason. Same applies to a lot of other Rock-Weak Pokemon now or in future.
lefties are the obvious answer, but what I'm curious about - for volc and everyone else - is resist berries. if you're committed to tera-ing a specific mon, there's so much unexplored potential of combining tera + new weakness resist berry.

no one would ever expect you to be holding a berry that doesn't matter with your original type. imagine getting your pex beat down by a psychic volc, going into chien to revenge, only for it to pop colbur, live a sucker punch, and kill you.

there's of course the opportunity cost of running a berry over anything else, and it might be a more useful strat in draft, but I feel like there has to be niche applications. maybe something like babiri for fairy garg, since it's weak to steel regardless? with all the type switching, the potential for mind games is astronomical.

To forgo Heavy Duty Boots means that the user of the Rocks-Weak Mon would have to do one of the two things:

1) Tera immediately to remove it’s rocks weakness for the game (Not totally favorable in 6v6 singles, as it’s generally more useful to select which Pokémon on your team should tera based on what will help you most in your matchup. Using Tera so early in the match means that you’ll be playing without the advantage of being able to adapt for a potential threat later in the game, and if you DO need to tera something else, your rocks-weak Mon is taking rocks damage…)

2) Run extra hazard control on the team in order to facilitate your Rocks-weak Mon in the event that they aren’t the best tera for the match. This is a little more practical with options like Great Tusk, but still has considerable risk to it if you don’t tera your rocks-weak Pokémon before rocks get up or are unable to spin for them!

It might be a lot riskier than HDB, especially with the popularity of hazard stacking right now, but if there’s considerable advantages your team can gain from it, then it can be worthwhile! Especially for offensive Pokémon that don’t worry much about longevity in the first place and can function without HDB. Chien-Pao as an example wanting to use Choice Band over Boots, or Iron Moth wanting to use Specs. But you’d have to make a very good case for the mons who are quad weak to rocks or the ones that want to stick around for a long time!

no one would ever expect you to be holding a berry that doesn't matter with your original type. imagine getting your pex beat down by a psychic volc, going into chien to revenge, only for it to pop colbur, live a sucker punch, and kill you.
Resist berries are a very interesting item to go along with this concept!! They’re such cool items. I’m a bit partial to using resist berries that cover a shared weakness between two tera types if they exist, but I’ve also heard that Yache Berry Pellipper has picked up in VGC- Partially to deal with the incoming onslaught of Iron Bundle’s Freeze Dry in Series 2, but also to cover for general ice type attacks it might run into when Tera’d into a Grass or Ground type. Really cool to think of how something like that could work in a Singles format.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
I'm curious how much Volc could experiment with other items if Tera removed its massive SR weakness
Honestly, outside of lefties, you could go with stuff like weakness berrys, Charcoal or even Silver Powder if you wanna do some trolling with Swarm boosted Bug Buzz

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
What's a solid core to build around featuring breloom? Been seeing it more and wanted to try it for myself.
it depends if you wanna go with the tecnician loaded dice sd set, the focus sash revenge killer set, the choice band set, or the poison heal one, but if you think about it, in general, is a phisical attacker that has priority and can shit on dondozo, has spore for utility and set ups, with poison heal can become a status absorber, with band it can lure gholdengo, with focus sash is an offensive threat against chien poo, and the sd set is sweep

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I wouldn’t say hard lose

252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Rock Tomb vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge: 214-252 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Opinions on this Roaring Moon trapper set?

:roaring moon:
Roaring Moon @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Jaw Lock
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Taunt

Opinions on this Roaring Moon trapper set?

:roaring moon:
Roaring Moon @ Covert Cloak
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 48 SpD / 32 Spe
Impish Nature
- Jaw Lock
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Taunt
I think it needs either max ATK, booster energy, or a 2nd attack in place of Taunt to have enough oomph to OHKO resistors after a little chip (including surprise Tera resistors).

That's just in theory. I really want to try Trapper Moon; it's honestly the most unhealthy abuse of Tera in 6v6 (trapping moves breaking things - who would have guessed?), just held back by Jaw Lock trapping yourself on potentially the wrong foe if you don't have U-Turn.

Fairy Lock + Eject Button Klefki into this is the full cheese setup that's a bit too much investment but utterly hilarious.

mono grass
Breloom hard loses to non Tera Skeldirge, Corviknight, Amoonguss, etc. You’d want something to handle those Pokémon, and honestly? Chien Pao seems like a good partner.
While you are right about breloom getting walled by amoongus, many amoongus lose to the common choice band tera fire set.
252 Atk Choice Band Tera Fire Breloom Tera Blast vs. 252 HP / 172+ Def Amoonguss: 386-456 (89.3 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
While skeledrige dies to bulldoze
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Breloom Bulldoze vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skeledirge: 214-252 (52 - 61.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
You can't tera fairy in its face too cause of this
252 Atk Choice Band Technician Tera Fire Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tera Fairy Skeledirge: 198-234 (48.1 - 56.9%) -- approx. 93% chance to 2HKO
Now corviknight is straight-up 2hkoed most of the time
252 Atk Choice Band Breloom Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 204-241 (51.1 - 60.4%) -- 91.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery.

if those "good news" are about basculegion then they aren't exactly good news since they are lucking rock head.
honestly I am not even sure if they will perform well in rain teams with swift swim.
they are both much slower than basculin.
the good news is that basculegion will either be banned or useless (either because last respects gets banned or the leaks were wrong)

oh wait hang on that's not good news if you're a basculin enjoyer, let me try again

uh

the good news is that barraskewda still exists?

Mimikyu Stardust

Enjoyment
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
the good news is that basculegion will either be banned or useless (either because last respects gets banned or the leaks were wrong)
Actually it wouldnt be useless if last respects is gone, it has 112 attack + swift swim + wave crash which is stronger than floatzel and makes it a really strong breaker for rain, and its speed isnt awful either and can outspeed a lot of stuff, if paired with mons like barraskewda it can make a nasty offensive core. Now, +1 iron valiant is faster, but looking at some calcs, You can safely go for a +speed nature instead of a +attack since theres not many rolls that requires an adamant nature.

252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Basculegion Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 192+ Def Toxapex in Rain: 161-190 (52.9 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Tera Water Basculegion Wave Crash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex in Rain: 142-168 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252+ Atk Dragonite Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tera Water Basculegion: 174-205 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 41.8% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Tera Water Basculegion Wave Crash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dragonite: 184-217 (56.9 - 67.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Basculegion Wave Crash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 272-320 (68.1 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tera Water Basculegion Wave Crash vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Corviknight: 370-436 (92.7 - 109.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

This pokemon on its own has some really good potential when it releases and would potentially be a mainstay for rain, its typing is also interesting with it being immune to fighting type attacks which are quite common, but it does make it weak to sucker punch which isn't ideal (tho it would be mitigated by tera which you almost will always use on basculegion if you are using rain). Not only that, unlike other rain sweepers, basculegion is relatively bulky living a lot of strong hits.

252 Atk Meowscarada Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Basculegion: 288-342 (75.5 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Rotom-Wash Volt Switch vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tera Water Basculegion: 200-236 (52.4 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Iron Valiant Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Basculegion: 236-278 (61.9 - 72.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So if the council decide to ban Last Respects instead of basculegion, rain will have a new deadly weapon potentially replacing floatzel

Sample Set:

Basculegion (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Aqua Jet
- Liquidation
- Zen Headbutt/Ice Fang

Not to mention the female version (which might just be better). So far, Kingdra has been the dominant strong special rain sweeper with its strong hydro pump and draco meteor... well basculin is stronger, with a spammable shadow ball/hex too. with some tspikes support and floatzel/barraskewda (or palafin if it gets released from ubers) it could be a genuine ou threat.

Last edited:
Even without Last Respect and without Swift Swim, Basculegion has Adaptability. This means he can be the Fat teams killer while Floatzel, Golduck or Barraskewda kill offense.

There is also female Basculegion who can spam Shadow Balls, with either Swift Swim or Adaptability. If Pelipper becomes OU by usage, it's likely that Basculegion also will, the Mon is strong and not one-dimensional.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
Checking this thread after a few days, the constant switching between "x is broken" was funny to read. We've been told we're getting a survey soon ish, so getting all that out now felt a little for naught since it'll probably be tackled there soon enough.

Also shoutout to Morkal, dude your posts have been absolute fire to read and really demonstrate some niche tactical sets and tera usage, please keep them coming!

Honestly I don't think that urshifu-rapid-strike is going to be banned this generation.

Quaquaval has the same typying and the ability to snowball its way to victory and it is going to drop to UU at the end of this month.
So I don't think that urshifu rapid stike will get banned.

As for single strike......well.... from one hand there are even less fairy types now than gen 8 which is something to worry about but from the other hand there aren't many viable users of future sight.
I think that it is getting banned again, but who knows.

This is just a quick blurb about something I read a few days ago. There was a dragonite set with fire spin/hurricane/roost/encore that was talked about as a trapper, and I'm curious why it would be fire spin over wrap. Fire spin has 85% accuracy instead of wrap's 90%, and the only things that fire spin is better at is hitting ghost types and not proccing rocky helmet. Ghost types can't be trapped, and I cant help but think that taking rocky helmet chip really doesn't matter since I expect to take at least a little chip from the pokemon I trap and kill anyway.

Earlier this gen I was running a very similar set in wrap/thunderbolt/extremespeed/encore to beat and trap corv/dondozo/toxapex etc. and that worked really well. I guess this other version of the dragonite trapper can also take down great tusk with hurricane though. But I still think it should be wrap over fire spin, unless I'm underestimating how annoying rocky helmet/rough skin can be.

If anyone can give me a good reason to run fire spin over wrap on dragonite please tell me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)