Ubers Ubers Ladder Tournament VI: Playoffs - Round 2

1713888062141.png

Amazing art by DaWolfKid

Here it is, the long-awaited playoffs of the sixth edition of the Ubers Ladder Tournament! You all laddered hard in cycle one and two, and this is the culmination of that: all qualified players will now face off in single-elimination best-of-three series until this edition's winner is crowned. To the ultimate victor will go eternal glory and immortalization in the Ubers Hall of Fame. More importantly, though, they'll get a whole heap of Type A points to help toward their eligibility for the 2024 Ubers Circuit Championship! Let the spectacle begin...

SPECIFIC RULES
  • This is a standard SV Ubers tournament
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!, ideally on smogtours.psim.us as it automatically saves replays + is easier to recreate games in case of disconnects.
  • This tournament will be Single Elimination.
  • All rounds will be Best of Three. You may switch teams in between battles of the same set.
  • All replays must be posted, without exceptions. Any win post without replays will not be counted.
  • Any eventual tier changes will only take effect in the following round.
Standard Rules and Clauses
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same PokeDex number on his team.
  • Evasion Clause: The moves Double Team and Minimize are banned. (No other evasion boosting things are banned).
  • OHKO Clause: The moves Horn Drill, Guillotine, Sheer Cold, and Fissure are banned.
  • Endless Battle Clause: Anything capable of intentionally creating an endless battle is banned.
  • Sleep Clause: Limit one foe put to sleep.

Identity

About playing on alts: It is entirely allowed to play on an alt other than your own main forum name, though if your opponent wishes to confirm your identity, you must log on to your main alt to show them you are who you claim to be. This is to prevent people from pretending to be who they're not.

About playing on different servers: The matches must be played on either the Smogtours server or the Main PS! server if both parties agree to that. Other servers are not sanctioned by the host(s) and playing in them might result in your game not counting. Protect yourself from that by playing on Smogtours.

Scouting

On scouting opponents: Going through your opponents replays of tournament and ladder games is entirely allowed, as long as a game is public there is nothing preventing you from watching it. An exception to this is abusing powers granted to you by being staff on Smogon or PS! to gain access to information a normal user wouldn't have access to, which is strictly forbidden.

On leaking teams: Divulging private information about someone's planned team to their opponent is never allowed, and will be heavily sanctioned. Requesting that such information be divulged is also grounds for punishment. Keep your scouting to publicly available information and you'll be fine.

Timer Clause / Disconnections

Timer Clause: As for taking long between moves, if your opponent asks you to hurry up, please oblige. If you are doing a damage calc for a key turn that is one thing, but prolonging every move is suspicious and annoying. Don't do it. Furthermore, Battle Timeout is a rule for a reason. If you run out of time, you lose, simple as that. It does not matter what your opponent says. Do not battle if you think you will have to leave mid battle, and instead reschedule for a better time.

Disconnections: Finally, in the case of a disconnect, the decision is in the hands of the player who did not disconnect. The options are: redo the battle move for move, redo the battle with the same teams but different moves, or redo the battle with completely different teams. If the battle was without a doubt over, they may also take the win. Any suspicion that a disconnect was committed on purpose to redo a match may be appealed to me, and if I feel this happened there will be severe consequences, don't do it.

Scheduling

Use VMs to schedule with your opponent to make it easier for me to track activity calls when needed, and use this guide to ensure you don't lose via activity or coinflip. If you use other methods to contact your opponent outside of VMs, then post in this thread confirming you're in contact with your opponent; otherwise, it's not necessary. Extensions for those with time conflicts will only be given when proof is provided of scheduling with their opponent in the beginning of the round, so do not schedule last minute expecting to be compensated in case of timezone conflicts or be given an activity win over your opponent.

I know that was a lot to read, but it is all necessary for me to have posted here so everyone can see it in the case of a dispute. I don't want any confusion or any problems.

Now that that's all out of the way, here are our top 16 players, from highest to lowest seed:

1: Suzuya (1812 ELO)
2: March Fires (1810 ELO)
3: Yellow Armchair (1805 ELO)
4: Icemaster (1804 ELO)
5: GeniusFromHoenn (1802 ELO)
6: baconeatinassassin (1801 ELO, 90.1 GXE)
7: Tal (1801 ELO, 85.4 GXE)
8: Fc (1797 ELO, 90.7 GXE)
9: ArcticBreeze (1797 ELO, 89.3 GXE)
10: RichardMillePlain (1797 ELO, 87.9 GXE)
11: 8142e33 (1795 ELO)
12: jushu (1794 ELO, 87.4 GXE)
13: Trade (1794 ELO, 85.9 GXE)
14: yovan33321 (1793 ELO)
15: entrocefalo (1788 ELO)
16: Kate (1787 ELO)

Potential substitutes:

The following players qualified as substitutes during each cycle and will be subbed in in Round 1 if necessary:

Skyiew (1761 ELO, Cycle 1)
zuzhouwawa (1755 ELO, Cycle 1)
Taka (1685 ELO, Cycle 2)
Farce Of The Death (1682 ELO, Cycle 2)

Round 1:

1: Suzuya vs 16: Kate
2: March Fires vs 15: entrocefalo
3: Yellow Armchair vs 14: yovan33321
4: Icemaster vs 13: Trade
5: GeniusFromHoenn vs 12: jushu
6: baconeatinassassin vs 11: 8142e33
7: Tal vs 10: RichardMillePlain
8: Fc vs 9: ArcticBreeze

The deadline for this round is Tuesday, April 30th at 11:59 PM GMT-4.

Last edited:
1: Suzuya vs 16: Kate - Closest series of the bunch, imo. Both great players and load some nice teams. I ultimately will vote Suzuya because I think he had a more impressive run but, I can see it going either way.
2: March Fires vs 15: entrocefalo - Tape is one of the all-time almighties but entro is solid too. Will depend a lot on how they approach the prep rather than how they play imo.
3: Yellow Armchair vs 14: yovan33321 - yovan just won seasonal, very hard not to favor him in here too.
4: Icemaster vs 13: Trade - I've only seen one team from icemaster in this metagame while Trade has been solid throughout the lifespan of DLC2. Nevertheless, it'll be a good series.
5: GeniusFromHoenn vs 12: jushu - Hoenn has been grinding and I have no doubts his training will pay off.
6: baconeatinassassin vs 11: 8142e33 - Bacon is solid and has more experience in tours, I think.
7: Tal vs 10: RichardMillePlain - Richard has been cooking and also had a solid run.
8: Fc vs 9: ArcticBreeze - Fc has been consistently getting far in tours in recent times annd I'm not familiar with ArcticBreeze.

Suzuya

Undertaker
is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
some predicts from a retired guy, don’t mind it a lot

2: March Fire vs 15: entrocefalo
- one of my personal hl of the round, def expecting a good game there. Idt I’m gonna speak too much ab my UPL brother entrocefalo since y’all are prob familiar w him and he prob knows how I’m rating him among the best of the best Ubers players this gen. While he won last ULT, here is a serious contender. Tape, more known for his old gen dominance, proved by claiming the 2nd highest seed on ULT that he’s perfectly perform well on gen9. Tapes an absolute baller and he will probably create some problem to entro before and after the game. I think this series will be decided by the teams bought by both players, Im giving a slight edge to entro who proved that he’s excellent in the builder and generally able to pull great MUs when he needed to.

3: YellowArmchair vs 14: yovan33321yo
- as far I can remember I have no clue who’s our first challenger to ULT crown. He still managed somehow to take the 3rd higher seed, which mean he surely have a good approach of the game with solid basis. Im predicting yovan to win cuz this mf is a fckn bitch, playing some non-sense teams but manage to get pixel MUs every time… nah fr yovan is a very decent player who came from an huge ssnl win without dropping a BO. This hot streak deserves some respect.

4: Icemaster vs 13: Trade
- actually this is also a tense battle but maybe less impressing than it could have been in SS. Ice kinda lost the dominance aura he asserted in gen8 since he struggled a bit throughout the SV and couldn’t find himself as dominant as he was. However, I think we’re sleeping a bit on this moldy person, he’s still an awesome player with great ingame mechanics and he’s perfectly able to defeat anybody if he puts his mind into it. Trade is an hard worker, he’s building p decent team which is a good point when we see the rest of the qualified players. His ingame is kinda hit or miss, he could play the greatest series of the year and flopping right after the previous one. Im rating both players kinda high on my top, I’d favor ice because of his experience as a tour player.

5: GeniusFromHoenn vs 12: jushu
- Im sorry but this time I’ve legit NO CLUE of who’s jushu. Grats on the qualif tho. My former partner in crime hoenn finished 2nd last ULT and shown overall good things during his ladder run. He improved a lot his mentality as a player and I think this will make the difference for him this year. I rly hope he’ll be able to pull the same performance than he did in the past.

6: baconeatassassin vs 11: 8truc
- quite a funny pairing there against very different player, let’s dive into it chat. Bacon is often someone I consider like an « Ice minus minus », never stellar but never rly bad too. He def have the taste of the game but idk man, his playstyle is kinda passive, waiting from a mistake to the other side to make a form of progress. I must admit that bacon is often great at endgames and never rly threw a game on the spot and that’s why he has been a staple pick for years now in diff PLs. Unfortunately for him SV is a very dynamic meta and here is the window for 8truc to shine. The holy gang apprentice 8truc is well known by every ladder players. He’s playing weird shit every time, either full stall of sticky offense with some mons you’d never see anywhere else… anyway 8truc is def way less solid than Bacon and that’s why I’m predicting him to win the series BUT I’d not be surprised if 8truc pull some crazy shit from his builder and manage to win games.

7: Tal vs 10: RichardMillePlain
-
this might be the HL of the week man. I think some people might don’t know Tal, which is understandable since he started Ubers for uwcup I think ? So lemme tell u the process. Tal is great player who came from UU community I think and pulled some great showing during UWC. From what I see bro doesn’t fear the adversity, he knows how to make da plays and this kind of profile feats surprisingly great to ladder tour. On the other hand we have RichardGrillePain. Should I tell u more ? Nahhh idts you just have to check his latest game to see that this mf is lit one of the greatest player of SV Ubers since the beginning of this gen. Im giving the edge to Richard, but I’m p sure Tal will manage to show us he deserves a deep looking from future UPL managers.

8: Fc vs 9: ArcticBreeze
- idt I’ll have many things to write about this paring so it’ll be mostly me making fun of Fc, that being said there we go. The SCL winner and the best Ubers player of last year (????) is finally back on the circuit after a disastrous showing in SV Ubers in almost every tours he played in. While being tier leader and trying to organize things bro cannot stop being mid mid mid. Imagine a world where Canada players were literally crying after Fardins tourban since they lost week 3 their potential player for a tie break in SV… well joking aside both players are p good but fc will probably sneak teams from his contact so I expect him to suck less than usual and be able to pull a win vs someone who didn’t play at all during SV.

my last word will be for Kate, nws Suzuya is a reformed guy and imma forget no one. You’re def not a bad opponent, Im rating u highly compared to most of the other competitions. Last time we face I litteraly blew u in some savage game while I was watching some football games on the TV. I hope ur gonna take this seriously cuz u were really far from what you can pull ingame.
PS: I’m still listening the song u shared to me months ago, I’ll be happy to defeat u while listening this music ! see u Friday friend :)

1: Suzuya vs 16: Kate - On the one hand, suzuya is one of the best builder and player in the ubers community, always going with creative builds and making solid plays. On the other hand, kate back from his retirement some months ago and showed solid level of building and playing, however I think he is still far from the level of suzuya. That really sucks, because I think kate is a promising ubers player and I think he is better than some other players in the pool. However, suzuya is just too good.
2: March Fires vs 15: entrocefalo - I don't know enough entrocefalo it's hard to tell, but march fires has more experience in the tier and is an extremely solid ubers player, so I'm giving him the edge.
4: Icemaster vs 13: Trade - Highlight of the week. I think both players have similar building level, but trade is a more solid player in my experience. However, lately trade has been playing more other tiers than ubers, while icemaster just went, so I can really see icemaster win there too.
5: GeniusFromHoenn vs 12: jushu -Kinda the same as for march vs entrocefalo. I don't know jushu and genius has more experience in the tier.
6: baconeatinassassin vs 11: 8142e33 - Tuthur said someone who lost to Bekaray can only get stomped.
7: Tal vs 10: RichardMillePlain - tal is going to rely on cheese because I haven't seen them doing anything else and they do it pretty poorly. richard should win pretty easily if he doesn't get unwinnable matchups and doesn't choke. Tbh I haven't seen richard play seriously for a while, however his previous builds were all solid and therefore I'm confident that he'll easily defeat tal.
8: Fc vs 9: ArcticBreeze -
I don't know articbreeze much but I think that tox is in a really bad position. I haven't seen him play ubers for a while, since I only remember him spaming broken bascu ho which is now banned. After seeing him play and build in ubers for U, idt he'll be able to build several consistent builds and beat fc who's known to be a solid player.

Eledyr

Le vilain petit Wooloo
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Host
Translations Leader
Suzuya vs Kate
March Fires vs entrocefalo
Yellow Armchair vs yovan33321
Icemaster vs Trade
GeniusFromHoenn vs jushu
baconeatinassassin vs 8142e33
Tal vs RichardMillePlain
Fc
vs ArcticBreeze

What an incredible r1. Lots of very interesting pairings, looking forward to see how everyone will perform. Good luck to my friends Suzuya, entrocefalo, GeniusFromHoenn, and RichardMillePlain :boi:

cropping wasn't perfect w/ me spamming skip turn unfortunately, but can't change that now without wasting hours editing

1. In a to be tangent I cut short it kinda comes off as me implying I think I am better which I do not
2. I called valid moves he made garbage once or twice until I fully thought them through, my word isn't fact etc etc, I need to l2p etc etc
3. This is pretty whatever, but I used some weird ass phrases - I hope I do not talk like this in real life
4. My meta-knowledge --> Ladder

s/os yovan for following up by liking my post instead of doubling down, respectable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)