Metagame np: Stage 9: Teenage Riot (Toxtricity Suspect Test)

ishtar

lucky stars in your eyes ☆
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader
:toxtricity: :toxtricity: :toxtricity:

Toxtricity is one of the most potent sweepers and breakers in PU. It’s nearly perfect coverage in Electric/Normal/Poison with the added boosted damage of its sound moves thanks to Punk Rock makes Toxtricity one of the strongest Special Attackers in the tier.

Toxtricity’s main problematic set is Shift Gear, which takes advantage of its ability to force switch-ins to gain Speed on potential revenge killers and scarfers. As it stands, a +2 Modest Toxtricity has no reliable Choice Scarf revenge killers, and its use of Throat Spray in conjunction with its powerful moves allows it to set up quickly on weakened threats that struggle to deal with its move combination. Sets such as Specs, Boots, Scarf are more linear since they threaten the meta in a more linear fashion, making use of its coverage options to either nuke a specific target, function as a pivoting mon or revenge kill would-be-checks.

Its most common Tera type is Normal, which boosts the damage of Boomburst to gigantic levels, but Teras such as Ghost have been utilized to flip matchups on revenge killers such as Arcanine with Extreme Speed, works as a reliable spinblocker, flips matchup on Fighting-types expecting Tera Normal, and allow it to use Tera Blast Ghost vs. threats like Golurk and Palossand.

This does not mean that Toxtricity is unbeatable though, a big portion of the meta is able to hit it for reliable damage due to its awkward typing. It’s also easily revengeable prior to Tera by a plethora of faster mons due to its mediocre speed before setup. Defensive Tera such as Ghost and Steel, which are used on many Pokemon in the tier are able to take a hit and revenge Toxtricity. All in all, Toxtricity is a potential sweeper that requires solid positional play, or a powerful breaker with a decent number of stops, but its offensive potential, ability to flip matchups and different sets make it a worthy candidate for a suspect test.

The voting requirements are a minimum GXE of 78 with at least 50 games played. In addition, you may play 1 less game for every 0.2 GXE you have above 78 GXE, down to a minimum of 30 games at a GXE of 82. As always, needing more than 50 games to 78 GXE is fine.

GXEminimum games

Suspect information:
  • There will be no draws allowed for any potential qualifiers. If you qualify with draws, your suspect requirements will not count, and you will not be allowed to vote. There is no way to actively enforce ties to prevent abuse, so they will be disallowed. Use stall at your own risk.
  • All games must be played on the Pokémon Showdown! PU ladder on a new alt with the following format: "PUTC (nickname)”. For example, PUTC asa or PUTC shitar.
  • Do NOT impersonate other people in your ladder alt, do NOT use any usernames which are offensive, flame-baiting, or targeting specific users, and do NOT use usernames which could be interpreted as breaking any of the username rules on Pokémon Showdown! Failure to abide to this will result in you being barred from voting in this suspect, and potential infractions.
  • The suspect test will last for 16 days, ending on May, 27th 11:59pm GMT -4.
/!\ NOTICE /!\ PU will not be tolerating any form of voting manipulation. Any attempt to manipulate votes can result in an infraction, loss of eligibility to vote in the current test, and loss of the Tiering Contributor badge. While we won't necessarily enforce super strict punishment, this won't be tolerated and will be handled accordingly. Voting manipulation can simply be described as attempting to get people to vote a way on the test in inappropriate manners. Bribing with teams to vote a certain way, directly messaging people to vote a certain way, publicly announcing "vote this way" all fall under voting manipulation. For more query, feel free to PM me or asa.

ishtar

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
PU Leader
We will be doing two suspect test tournaments this weekend! Hop in the PU room for a competitive fiery fuego extravaganza experience on the battlefield against your fellow PUers for a chance at Toxtricity reqs!

Saturday 10am GMT -4, hosted by Melt Gibson
Sunday 5pm GMT -4, hosted by Bella

Good luck and may your Statics proc every single time!

DugZa

Carpe Diem
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NUPL Champion
Just wanted to share some quick thoughts regarding Toxtricity. While I did vote for it to be suspect tested, I don't necessarily think its broken or banworthy. Its defensive typing isn't particularly great and its defensive stats are average at best too so it can't really take hits that well. Its best set is by far the Shift Gear set but that needs one turn for SG and another turn to activate Throat Spray which it really can't afford to do in most matchups without taking significant damage most of the time. Even if it does setup we have a bunch of Pokemon like Sandslash-A, Milotic, Florges, AV Glowbro, (AV) Golurk, Coalossal, Bronzong, Gastrodon, Goodra and AV Meloetta that can comfortably take a hit or two and KO, haze or phaze it out; some of them need tera to do this while the others don't even need to dedicate tera to deal with it. We also have strong priority users like Arcanine, Bombirdier, Grimmsnarl, Emboar, Skuntank, Decidueye, Zoroark, Ambipom and Lycanroc that can RK it if chipped; yes, some of them have trouble depending on if its tera Normal/Ghost but most of the time they are good enough to deal with it. Not to mention, even a random tera can just catch it off guard sometimes; for instance, I've used tera Ghost on Kilowattrel and it checks tera Normal Toxtricity quite well. I do think tera Ghost Toxtricity might be slightly better than tera Normal right now but the drop in power from STAB-boosted Boomburst vs. STAB Tera Blast is so so noticeable and is a massive letdown sometimes. The choiced sets are decent too but they are very prediction reliant and the Choice Specs set in particularly leaves it very easy to revenge kill considering its lackluster speed tier. All in all, I don't think its ban-worthy right now.

Last edited:
not a toxtricity post, but i was surprised to see that staraptor of all things got the most support for action in the survey, when it's actually pretty underwhelming in practice, so wanted to address that.

:staraptor:

while undoubtedly a potent presence in pu, staraptor has numerous flaws that prevent it from being an overwhelming presence, aside from the rocks weakness and the heavy recoil damage it takes. band sets are oftentimes pretty prediction-reliant and are fairly easy to revenge kill. while band doesn't have much in the way of defensive answers, its rocks weakness in conjunction with the heavy recoil damage it takes + potentially helmet damage typically limits it to trading 1-for-1 at best. regardless, there are still defensive counterplay options such as coalossal, bronzong, and houndstone that avoid being 2hkoed by band staraptor's stabs. choice scarf staraptor retains much of its strength while being a lot harder to revenge kill, making it have a pretty strong match-up into offense. however this is mitigated by the fact that offense typically gets rocks up early and carries priority which staraptor gets in range of very easily. the choice scarf set also has a lot more defensive counterplay in addition to what I've mentioned prior, pokemon such as mudsdale, bellibolt, and gligar all handle scarf variants fairly well. skuntank also effectively trades with any staraptor set with helmet + aftermath.

overall staraptor is not even particularly close to broken, i'd sooner ban bellibolt.

as for toxt, it requires pretty good positioning to successfully shift gear due to its awkward defensive typing, and with tera its always choosing between having a stronger boomburst + being more vulnerable to prio , or doing better into prio w/ tera ghost and having an arguably lacklustre damage output, this on top of the decent pool of checks dugza listed above makes me lean dnb

Last edited:

Bella

Someday
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Apologies for double posting, but I wanted to express my opinion on Toxtricity since I already got reqs.

I don't think Toxtricity is bannable. Simply put: The meta is too unkind to it offensively and defensively checking it and it feels so tera reliant to get going. For starters, priority is everywhere in this tier. Be it Arc Espeed, Sneaks from Houndstone and Deci, Aqua Jet from Tauros, Suckers from the likes of Skunk, Zoro, or Emboar, and Fake Outs from Ambipom, Hitmons, etc theres alot of perfectly good ways to beat Toxtricity just with Priority and it forces you to either have the right tera and burn that tera type or just get easily revenge killed. Thats not to say Toxtricity is only offensively checked either. Golurk, AV Glowbro, Bronzong, Alolan Sandslash, Palossand, Gastrodon, and more all force Toxtricity out, ruin its boosts, or force it to burn Tera which is not always favorable. Plus, Toxtricity relies on Shift Gear Throat Spray sets HARD to get going, and its defenses aren't great and you basically spend 2 turns just attempting to set up a sweep that is not always confirmed, and if the opponent as a sweeper of their own already on the field set up that is basically impossible to do. I also think Toxtricity struggles mightly with what Tera type it wants. It wants Ghost for Espeed and the Tera Blast Ghost for hitting Glowbro, but it also wants Normal for strong Boomburst and immunity to Sneaks. It oftentimes makes it difficult for Toxtricity as it needs to pick what top tiers it wants to lose to with the tera type. This is not even to mention how stray Tera Ghosts, Grounds, or Steels can screw it over big time and make it a momentum sink for a team. All in all, do i think Toxtricity is bad? No. I think its top 10 in the tier, but to say its more broken than the likes of Pokemon like Delphox, Zoroark, or Staraptor is wrong. As such, I'll be voting DNB.

ishtar

PU Leader
Due to the server shutdown, we're extending suspect test by 2 days, meaning that the new deadline is May, 27th 11:59pm GMT -4. Good luck laddering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)