SM OU Mega Mawile Balance

Introduction

I always had little success when using building around Mega Mawile (mostly due to missing Play Rough and Fire Fang but whatever), so I wanted to make a team that helped Mawile, instead of a team that Mawile helped.

Naturally, I started with Mawile.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

I'm not entirely sure if this is the most optimal moveset or EV spread for the current meta, but I felt this would serve Mawile's purpose; which is to just kill everything before it gets killed.

Pokemon that I can think of that beat Mawile are Heatran, Mega Venusaur (sometimes), and Lando-T.

One fun Pokemon I thought of that could help to deal with some of these answers to Mawile is Suicune.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Substitute
- Protect

Again, not sure if this is the right EV spread; I just outspeed Heatran and Smeargle and stuff around that 70-77 base speed range. Suicune is able to just win games sometimes, and it helps in the rain match-up and the Trick Room match-up.

Next, I decided to use Toxapex.

Toxapex @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze

Suicune works incredibly well with Toxic Spikes support, and Toxapex helps with the current Charizard Y and Volcarona weakness. Now because I have 2 Water types and a Pokemon with terrible HP and Special Defense, I basically lose to Electric types and dual-dance Magearna.

To deal with this, I decided to use Ferrothorn, but in hindsight, Tapu Bulu might have been better here, because it also supports Toxapex and Mawile by neutralizing their Ground weaknesses.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 124 Def / 100 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect

I decided on the set of Mono-attacking Gyro Ball, because I didn't think Knock Off or Power Whip was necessary.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Toxic

I didn't think that just having Ferrothorn was enough to patch up my Electric weakness, so I wanted an actual Electric immunity.

Scarf Garchomp is kinda underrated in my opinion, and can clean up games very nicely. I put Toxic as the last move for switchins like Lando-T and Tapu bulu.

So to close up the team, the final Pokemon would determine the over-all archetype of the team. I wanted it to be more offensively driven, so I decided to use one of my favorite set-up sweepers; Tapu Koko.

Tapu Koko @ Fairium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Calm Mind
- Roost

This set can 1v1 the likes of Mew, Clefable, Magearna, and Magnezone, and defensively checks Hawlucha, which is low-key broken. Tapu Koko can break through things like Landorus with a +1 Twinkle Tackle, which opens a door for Mawile, and it can weaken things like Toxapex and Mew for Mawile too.

I've gotten like mid-1800's with the team, but it is very weak to Ground attacks. If someone could find a solution, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I don't usually comment on RMTs as I don't feel like I have the best advice in team building, but here I think I can help, though my advice may not be the most in-depth.

First with Suicune:

I'd go with the standard CroCune set which is basically replacing Substitute and Protect with Rest and Sleep Talk.

And IMHO ScarfChomp should be running either Iron Head or Poison Jab over Toxic.

I don't usually comment on RMTs as I don't feel like I have the best advice in team building, but here I think I can help, though my advice may not be the most in-depth.

First with Suicune:

I'd go with the standard CroCune set which is basically replacing Substitute and Protect with Rest and Sleep Talk.

And IMHO ScarfChomp should be running either Iron Head or Poison Jab over Toxic.
Poison Jab does nothing but hit Bulu, and VinCune is really the only viable set rn since so many things can set up then nuke with a Z Move while Cune is asleep

Hey dude, that's a pretty cool team concept you have there! However, I noticed some generic weaknesses on it such as the team's unability to reliably handle Grass Types like Amoonguss, M-Venusaur and to a lesser extent Tapu Bulu. Your team also has a pretty hard time switching into Ground Types like Zygarde and opposing Landorus-T due to your lack of a ground immunity, and things like SD M-Scizor (especially with Knock Off), Kartana and Hawlucha can sweep the team after some things are weakened. Tapu Lele also kinda destroys the squad. Here are some suggestions that might help you dealing with those issues:

- This change helps a lot for your matchup against various physical attackers including Zygarde, Kartana, M-Lop, Hawlucha and many other mons while also offering you a Ground immunity. Scarfchomp is mainly used to rk volc which it doesn't even do very well here due to it's lack of a rock-type attack, and it just kinda sucks against many other mons which s why I feel that is set just isn't good. I'd advise you to run Toxic on Lando-T in order to cripple things like Hawlucha and Tapu Bulu better, which the team appreciates. I'd also advise you to run a rather fast set in order to outspeed Tran. Personally, I like using a 108 HP / 252 Def / 148 Spe spread with a Jolly nature.

- This change helps to compensate the loss of a scarfer with one that does the role of rk'ing threats insanely better thanks to its better speed, protean, and it's insane movepool. I know replacing Vincune knda hurts your team's concept, but keeping it would also mean having a team without a solid means of speed control, or with one that would open up some weaknesses to the team, which is obviously far from ideal. About the set, there's nothing special to say as it's just the classic set in Ice Beam / U-Turn / Rock Slide / Low Kick (it's preferred to Gunk Shot imo, to secure the Tran mu even more) with a 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe and a Jolly nature.

(optional) - This one is a bit more up to your preference but I still think that it would be beneficial for the team. As I said above, your team has some troubles in dealing with Grass Types as well as M-Scizor, both of which Heatran can cover. Tran also gives you another means of pressuring bulkier teams. The set I'd advise you to run here is the Magma Storm / Earth Power / Taunt / Protect with Firium Z, which gives you a strong nuke to bust through defensive cores even easier. It's aso pretty cool because it can avoid Ttars pursuit and can 1v1 Hawlucha if played well. The only real drawback here is the increased weakness to Flying types like M-Pinsir and Hawlucha, both of which being manageable with the likes of M-Mawile and Lando-T.

However, it should be noted that if you choose to go for the Koko route, then you should go for a Lure M-Mawile set with Iron Head / Fire Fang / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch that abuses of Electric terrain with Thunder Punch and helps luring things like M-Venusaur, Amoonguss, as well as most Ground Types. A Choice Specs Koko would probably be better as well for the immediate power.

: A minor nitpick here but I think this Ferrothorn should run a set with Power Whip / HP Fire / Spikes / Leech Seed in order to better deal with Kartana which this team hates. You could potentially try a Chople Berry on it to better take Fighting Moves even though I wouldn't recommend it much here.

: Again, a minor nitpick here, but I feel that a 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe would be better to outspeed Mantine. Alternatively, you could use a bulkier spread of 120 HP / 216 Atk / 4 SpD / 168 Spe to 1v1 Scarf Lele better.

: Finally, another minor nitpick that's also up to your preference but you could do Toxic over Toxic Spikes on this to poison things (especially flying mons) without having to wait for them to switch-in. Iapapa Berry over Black Sludge is also a possible option, mainly to maximize your chances against Hawlucha.

Overall, I think I've made quite a lot of changes but I also feel that they improve a lot your matchup against common archetypes. I made two pokepastes (1 & 2) For each variant of the team. The second version is probably a little better since it's faster and I changed less mons but the first one is still usable and deals with Scizor better. Good luck with it n_n

Last edited:
Cro is short for Calm Mind Roar, and Vin is because a guy whose name had Vin in it first used that Suicune set.
cro doesn't mean calm mind roar. its cm resttalk and was named after a rly old user afaik

onto the team
z move
--->shuca
or scarf
---> scarf

the team doesn't have a ground resist, so something like scarf lando could easily click earthquake. both of the suggestions above mitigate that somewhat, with shuca koko luring lando and zygarde, and scarf lando being a ground immunity obviously.

leftovers
---> black sludge

so u punish trick users like latios. payapa berry is also an option to take on psychium z volc a little better.

the team seems fine otherwise.

Hey dude, that's a pretty cool team concept you have there! However, I noticed some generic weaknesses on it such as the team's unability to reliably handle Grass Types like Amoonguss, M-Venusaur and to a lesser extent Tapu Bulu. Your team also has a pretty hard time switching into Ground Types like Zygarde and opposing Landorus-T due to your lack of a ground immunity, and things like SD M-Scizor (especially with Knock Off), Kartana and Hawlucha can sweep the team after some things are weakened. Tapu Lele also kinda destroys the squad. Here are some suggestions that might help you dealing with those issues:

- This change helps a lot for your matchup against various physical attackers including Zygarde, Kartana, M-Lop, Hawlucha and many other mons while also offering you a Ground immunity. Scarfchomp is mainly used to rk volc which it doesn't even do very well here due to it's lack of a rock-type attack, and it just kinda sucks against many other mons which s why I feel that is set just isn't good. I'd advise you to run Toxic on Lando-T in order to cripple things like Hawlucha and Tapu Bulu better, which the team appreciates. I'd also advise you to run a rather fast set in order to outspeed Tran. Personally, I like using a 108 HP / 252 Def / 148 Spe spread with a Jolly nature.

- This change helps to compensate the loss of a scarfer with one that does the role of rk'ing threats insanely better thanks to its better speed, protean, and it's insane movepool. I know replacing Vincune knda hurts your team's concept, but keeping it would also mean having a team without a solid means of speed control, or with one that would open up some weaknesses to the team, which is obviously far from ideal. About the set, there's nothing special to say as it's just the classic set in Ice Beam / U-Turn / Rock Slide / Low Kick (it's preferred to Gunk Shot imo, to secure the Tran mu even more) with a 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe and a Jolly nature.

(optional) - This one is a bit more up to your preference but I still think that it would be beneficial for the team. As I said above, your team has some troubles in dealing with Grass Types as well as M-Scizor, both of which Heatran can cover. Tran also gives you another means of pressuring bulkier teams. The set I'd advise you to run here is the Magma Storm / Earth Power / Taunt / Protect with Firium Z, which gives you a strong nuke to bust through defensive cores even easier. It's aso pretty cool because it can avoid Ttars pursuit and can 1v1 Hawlucha if played well. The only real drawback here is the increased weakness to Flying types like M-Pinsir and Hawlucha, both of which being manageable with the likes of M-Mawile and Lando-T.

However, it should be noted that if you choose to go for the Koko route, then you should go for a Lure M-Mawile set with Iron Head / Fire Fang / Thunder Punch / Ice Punch that abuses of Electric terrain with Thunder Punch and helps luring things like M-Venusaur, Amoonguss, as well as most Ground Types. A Choice Specs Koko would probably be better as well for the immediate power.

: A minor nitpick here but I think this Ferrothorn should run a set with Power Whip / HP Fire / Spikes / Leech Seed in order to better deal with Kartana which this team hates. You could potentially try a Chople Berry on it to better take Fighting Moves even though I wouldn't recommend it much here.

: Again, a minor nitpick here, but I feel that a 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe would be better to outspeed Mantine. Alternatively, you could use a bulkier spread of 120 HP / 216 Atk / 4 SpD / 168 Spe to 1v1 Scarf Lele better.

: Finally, another minor nitpick that's also up to your preference but you could do Toxic over Toxic Spikes on this to poison things (especially flying mons) without having to wait for them to switch-in. Iapapa Berry over Black Sludge is also a possible option, mainly to maximize your chances against Hawlucha.

Overall, I think I've made quite a lot of changes but I also feel that they improve a lot your matchup against common archetypes. I made two pokepastes (1 & 2) For each variant of the team. The second version is probably a little better since it's faster and I changed less mons but the first one is still usable and deals with Scizor better. Good luck with it n_n
I know I'm like a month late, but you should run Naive / Hasty on Gren since the point of running 80 SpA is to OHKO Kartana, if you run a -SpA nature then you're a lot less likely to OHKO; 80- SpA Protean Greninja Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 232-274 (89.2 - 105.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)