RE: Ubers Open Cheating Situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Good afternoon,

Earlier today I was asking after some clarity regarding the situation around the Ubers Open where some users were tournament banned for 1 year. In the absence of an active thread to question the issue, I was advised by the TD on hand to create a thread here to inquire.

My question relates to the severity of the punishment. The facts of the situation as the public knows them are those contained in TonyFlygon's post, quoted as such:

"The TD team has evidence that a group of users worked together to rig the tour, including entering multiple alts into the tour, playing games in call and deciding the outcome of the games prior to a set's conclusion. In the process of our investigation we have removed alts and found evidence that multiple finalists were involved in this scheme, as well as multiple users already banned from Smogon."

Based on this information provided I am questioning the decision to offer a 1 year tour ban as an appropriate punishment. The facts as they are provided speak to a massive, collective effort of match fixing going far beyond that seen of an average cheater, into the realm of conspiracy in scale to rig the outcome of the tournament. The degree of cheating occurring here is enormous and enough to invalidate the tournament as a whole, as evidenced by the TD decision to declare the tournament to have No Winner. Real world analogues to the relative scale of the situation could include the 1919 Black Sox scandal or the match fixing efforts of Pete Rose (MLB) and Tim Donaghy (NBA).

As such, it seems to me that the punishment does not fit the crime. Cheating of this scale should, in my opinion, carry a permanent ban from Smogon tournaments, or if this is adjudged to be too severe, to carry at least a multiple years sentence. A one year ban would seem to do little to disincentivize cheating of this scale by users who were motivated to cheat like this in the first place.

When I raised this concern in discord to the TD on duty, the response I received was that they did not understand where I was coming from because I "1. Didn't know the facts, 2. Would be going against precedent, and 3. Wasn't in the authoritative body making the decision."

Considering this, I have the following questions for the TD team that I would appreciate some degree of answer towards, as far as can be publicly revealed.

What factors led you to determine that a 1 year ban was an appropriate punishment in this case, as opposed to a more severe action?

Are there additional factors that have not been revealed to the public that mitigated the punishment?

Do you believe that the precedent was appropriately applied to this situation, or should a different precedent have been set?

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to what I feel is a reasonable concern as pertains to the future risk of this kind of cheating.

Edit: as an additional point of clarification, the ruling post by the TDs implied that the users banned for 12 months were guilty of all crimes stated in the post; if this is not the case this would also be an appreciated point of clarification inasfar as how it affects the perception of their punishments.

Last edited:

Exiline

Banned deucer.
is a Past SCL Championis a Two-Time Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
highly supporting this.
I'd like to add that even if there is no exactly similar cases, this one is still very similar to what bluri did in the last iteration of BW cup (joining with 6 alts). But while these users only got 12 months for ruining an entire tour, bluri got a permanent tourban + an one year forum ban.
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threa...dministrative-decisions.3631896/#post-7785918
I'm well aware that bluri had precedent cheating issues which probably enhanced his punitions (esp since his main account was already tourbanned at the time) but I also believe that those ubers open users should be punished way harshly than only a 12 months ban, I also would like to remind you that 12 months is the amount you get for ghosting in a tour which is in my opinion not nearly as bad as rigging an entire tour (not wanting to defend ghoster ofc).

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm going to jump in here and answer this, since I currently straddle the line between TD and admin. Tournament Directors don't actually have any more authority to issue bans than any other moderator; if you moderate a section you might infract someone for their behavior, but to ban someone outright falls under the purview of staff and has its own process. Even though there are a couple of SS/admin members on the TD team, the most we can do punishment-wise is tourban them (or else issue the standard infractions that any subforum moderator can issue), and forward on bigger cases directly to staff for more severe action. In the case of the two people who were tourbanned, they played games on call during the tour, which typically results in a yearlong tourban.

I don't want to go into great details, but in this specific case, things are complicated a bit because the most significant rigging of the tournament appears to have been largely organized by a couple of users who are already permanently banned from Smogon. (Believe it or not we generally try to minimize drama with our ban posts, especially when that drama would also bring more notoriety to users, so we didn't name them in the original announcement.) This investigation is also still ongoing, and if we do find more evidence, there's a good chance that what was posted will not be the final word.

Anyhow, just so you know a bit of what's going on at the moment, even prior to us announcing the ban decision there have been some other conversations happening. Some of them have been how we can adjust general policy to prevent things like this in the future. In this specific case, there has also been a conversation going on among staff/admins since the moment the decision was announced regarding whether we should also forum ban the users in question (spoiler alert: almost certainly yes), and between Ubers leadership and staff to find ways to further root out anyone who was involved in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)