Rejected Removing Filter in Private Rooms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol not much to add to the title but I think as long as you aren't going out of your way to bully someone(which can be reported) you should be able to use censored language in private rooms considering most private rooms are small groups of friends chilling. I've seen people get locked for no reason at all when it comes to censored words, such as asking or explaining what a word means and I think it's just excessive to have a filter in private rooms.

I agree
As long as the words arent being used malicously there should be no problem, maybe an option where room owners can turn language filter off/on? private rooms are comprised of selected members and members can use the words in a appropriate manner without the need for a filter and to have one stops the free flow of conversation

Last edited:

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
This was discussed extensively and polled among global staff around Sept 2018, where it was then decided to have all chat filters implemented to private rooms which were previously exempt from it. At the time I argued against it, for similar reasons you've mentioned, but the filter also used word replacement of slurs to stuff like 'poopyhead' and 'meanie'. This fairly antiquated method has since been removed in favor of just giving you a chat prompt to please not say that word + it locking people when trying to evade said filter.

My opinion on it has swayed since, kinda in part by not hanging around private rooms where everyone threw slurs around anymore and that rules like this have gravitated to be consistent across all facets of Smogon and PS over time, but also that private rooms themselves are getting antiquated as a whole. Most tight-knit groups of friends have just moved to Discord instead, as there's basically no limitation on who can make a server or what's allowed in it and whatnot. As for this part:
I've seen people get locked for no reason at all when it comes to censored words, such as asking or explaining what a word means and I think it's just excessive to have a filter in private rooms.
So when the PS filter says that one shouldn't say a word, they evade the filter to ask why they can't say said word? And are then surprised that PS punishes them for it? If people wonder about filters they can just ask global staff about it instead, who can actually most likely answer their question regardless.

Basically I don't see any reason to change this decision and will leave off with a good quote from the discussion about it at that time:
My thought is that if your room absolutely NEEDS to call people (BAN ME PLEASE), your room probably doesn't belong on PS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)