Monotype Blazing Deforestation! [Grass]

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Blazing Deforestation

Introduction
Hello everyone, I wanted to challenge myself more by contributing with RMTs and Sample Teams. This team is titled Blazing Deforestation because our society is changing with climate change, desertification, flooding, increased greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, and much more. Trees are essential plants that give us oxygen, carbon, and materials that are used in our everyday lives. Have you ever wondered what the world will look like 50 years from now? The change starts now!
With that said, I plan on accomplishing many things in the near future like becoming a Psychologist, an Environmental Scientist, and a Zoologist. Blazing Deforestation also matches the theme of this Sunny Day Grass team, which is fun to use; I hope you enjoy it!!
Teambuilding Process

First, I added Ferrothorn because it is a nice defensive utility Pokemon that has access to Stealth Rock, and it improves the Ice and Fairy matchup because of its Grass / Steel typing.

Next, I added Appletun, which helps with tanking Fire-type attacks, and then Whimsicott, which gives a Dragon immunity. Running these three Pokemon is important and essential for any Grass team because they synergize well defensively and provide resistances such as Fighting, Fire, Dragon, and Flying.

After the additions of Ferrothorn, Appletun, and Whimsicott, I needed something that could take on Steel teams and get rid of threats like Corviknight and Duraludon. After much consideration, I picked Venusaur because Whimsicott's Sunny Day supports Venusaur's Chlorophyll + Growth Set, which helps beat Poison, Steel, opposing Grass, and possibly Fire teams! Rillaboom was more useful in the pre-Home metagame because Venusaur was not out then.
+

With walls like Galarian Corsola and stallbreakers like Mew, Shiftry makes a great addition to any Grass team. With its access to Chlorophyll, Swords Dance, Substitute, and strong STAB attacks, it helps fend off huge threats and is supported by Whimsicott's Sunny Day.
+
?
Celebi was the last addition to the team because Poison teams came to mind. I thought Celebi would play a huge role in not only the Poison matchup but also freeing up Ferrothorn's entry hazard moveslot for Spikes to support Venusaur's Growth sweep. Although providing Stealth Rock to support the team is beneficial, I lost crucial matchups against Sticky Web and Water teams, and it relied on Leaf Storm landing because that was the main thing KOing Pelipper.

I soon asked Decem for advice on whether running Celebi or Rotom-C would be more helpful for the team. Virizion was brought into the picture because its Choice Scarf set bettering the matchup against Ice and providing extra support with Sunny Day. Rotom-C was my final selection because I did not need extra support for either Poison or Ice teams. Grass enjoys utilizing Rotom-C's Speed with Choice Scarf and Trick support to cripple foes.

The Team

Item: Leftovers
| Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD | Relaxed Nature
Moves: Protect / Gyro Ball / Leech Seed / Stealth Rocks

Ferrothorn is a staple on this team that provides a neutrality, resistance, or immunity towards Fairy-, Dragon-, Poison-, Ice-, and Psychic-type attacks. Gyro Ball helps with fast offensive attackers like Noivern and Hydreigon when they switch in and serves as a super-effective attack towards Ice teams. Hazards are essential on this team because they cripple offensive Pokemon like Galarian Darmanitan and Weavile when they switch in. Protect is used to scout the next move of the opposing Pokemon, while Leech Seed is an essential recovery.

Leftovers
| Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD | Calm Nature
Moves: Dragon Pulse or Recover / Apple Acid / Leech Seed / Protect

If you want ANY chance at surviving Fire-type attacks, you must run Appletun. It is best to run specially defensive to tank incoming Fire Blasts or Flamethrowers coming from various Pokemon. Protect again is for scouting the foe's next move, which is effective for playing around Choice item Pokemon like Galarian Darmanitan, while Leech Seed is there for extra recovery. Dragon Pulse and Apple Acid are useful STAB moves that help against Pokemon like Toxapex and Dragon-types.

Item: Heat Rock
| Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Modest Nature
Moves: Sunny Day / Memento / Moonblast / Encore

Whimsicott provides a crucial Dragon immunity and Fairy-type attack, which is useful for defeating Dragon- and Dark-type Pokemon. Sunny Day and Memento supports Venusaur and Shiftry, with Memento easing setup due to the stat drops. Whimsicott is Modest natured because it does not outspeed Dragapult or Noivern with Timid nature. Encore locks Hawlucha and Kommo-o into Substitute and Clangorous Soul when needed, while Moonblast serves as its Fairy-type STAB move.

Item: Heavy-Duty Boots
or Life Orb| Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe | Timid Nature
Moves: Growth | Sludge Bomb | Weather Ball or Giga Drain| Earth Power

Venusaur is a Chlorophyll sweeper that helps greatly in the Steel and Poison matchups. A Timid nature allows Venusaur to outspeed and OHKO Pokemon like Choice Scarf Gengar and Terrakion when under sun. Grass teams generally do not run Defog, and I do not support Venusaur KOing itself after setting up to simple Sucker Punch Bisharp sets or through Life Orb overtime-damage. Heavy-Duty Boots helps versus teams that stack hazards like Spikes and Sticky Web. Weather Ball turns into a 100 BP 100-Base Power Fire-type attack while Sunny Day is active, Earth Power helps Venusaur more effectively sweep Poison better teams, and Sludge Bomb is a useful STAB move when trying to do effective damage onto Pokemon like Rotom-H and Fairy-types.

Item: Dread Plate
| Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe | Adamant Nature
Moves: Knock Off | Substitute | Sucker Punch | Swords Dance

Mew and Galarian Corsola are two Pokemon I always try to find a counter to in on any of my teams. Shiftry,(AC) utilizing Chlorophyll and support from Whimsicott's Sunny Day, can deal effective damage onto these walls. Substitute allows Shiftry to block Will-O-Wisp, Strength Sap, and Knock Off and allows it to set up and break defensive Pokemon like Mew and Aegislash thanks to its STAB moves and Dread Plate. Sucker Punch is for faster Pokemon like Dragapult and Gengar.

+2 252+ Atk Dread Plate Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Corsola-Galar: 338-398 (104.3 - 122.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252+ Atk Dread Plate Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 32 Def Mew: 678-798 (167.8 - 197.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Item: Choice Scarf
| Ability: Levitate
EVs:EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe |Timid Nature
Moves: Trick | Leaf Storm | Thunderbolt | Volt Switch or Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-C is very useful because very few other team members provide Grass-type attacks or much to deal with Flying. Rotom-C improves several matchups like Ground, Water, and Flying by pressuring them with Leaf Storm and Thunderbolt. It is also useful for utilizing Trick and Will-O-Wisp for Pokemon like Corviknight. Choice Scarf Rotom-C makes a nice final addition to this Grass team by providing high Speed, damage, and effective status moves that will help better various aforementioned matchups.

Threat List
Assault Vest Goodra is one of the hardest Dragon-type Pokemon to break, but using Trick with Rotom-C can allow you to cripple Goodra for the rest of the matchup.
Utilizing Trick with Rotom-C or, if you're a risk-taker, Encore Whimsicott will help defeat Clangorous Soulblaze Kommo-o.
If Calm Mind Hatterene becomes a problem, again: use Trick with Rotom-C! Or run Iron Head Ferrothorn to hit it as it switches in. Gyro Ball is very effective, and using Trick with Rotom-C or playing offensively with Venusaur will help a lot.

This matchup is the hardest one you will face! Only Venusaur and keeping Appletun around can save you. The best strategy for beating Fire is scouting with Protect and Leech Seed with Appletun then sweeping late-game with Growth Venusaur + Memento Whimsicott.

Replays
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1085452817
(Iron Head)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1085657688
#2(Gyro Ball)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1085780792

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8monotype-1086142398

<Valentine Hugs> (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball

Apples 'n Tums (Appletun) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dragon Pulse / Recover
- Apple Acid
- Leech Seed
- Protect

o' happy dayyy (Whimsicott) (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sunny Day
- Memento
- Moonblast
- Encore

Poisoned Reptile (Venusaur) (F) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Chlorophyll
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Growth
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Earth Power / Giga Drain

the Lorax (Shiftry) @ Dread Plate
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Substitute

VOOOOoooom! (Rotom-Mow) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch / Will-O-Wisp
Conclusion
Our world is changing gradually, and if we do not take action now, there will be drastic changes in the near future. Deforestation is not the only thing that is occurring under our noses but also global warming, water scarcity, climate change, and immigration (one of these is not like the others), and our eyes are only open now that Coronavirus is here! I hope you enjoy this Grass team, and I am looking forward to any possible tips or variants anyone has to offer. Save the trees!! Thank you for reading.

Credits
Grammar Check
by Rabia (thank you so so so so so much again)
Shoutouts to: Decem maroon For tutoring me in the past/present/future and currently!
Extra Shoutouts: I have fun working and joking around with Suspense, Aguav, Wyn, and walker; alone with growing a community with Noxious has soon inspired me to start tutoring soon once I've fully developed my battling skills.

Last edited:
Hi very nice team here, I do have some slight suggestions for you to consider.

Changes

:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn

Ferrothorn should have 0 Speed ivs with a Relaxed nature to boost the power of Gyro Ball. The SpD investment also is not needed, you said you have the investment for Pokemon such as Alolan Ninetales, however, Alolan Ninetales is already doing very little damage to Ferrthorn as is, and Gengar's Focus Blast will still 2HKO with your Ev spread regardless. If Gengar is Choice Specs it will still have a 50% chance to OHKO from full, versus no investment in SpD. Giving Ferrothorn a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD allows you to take Galarian Darmanitans Icicle Crash even better, as well as take attacks better from the likes of Weavile, Cloyster, Dracovish, Keldeo's Secret Sword, and other physical attackers better.

Appletun
:Appletun:

Running Recover over Dragon Pulse provides Appletun with reliable recovery to allow Appletun to stick around longer in matches where Leech Seed just isn't enough and makes Appletun harder to break. If however, if you actually find yourself struggling vs Substitute Hydreigon, then you can opt for Dragon Pulse again.

Venusaur
:Venusaur:

You mention that you dislike taking Life Orb recoil, however, you may find this the case as you are not running Giga Drain. Giga Drain with Life Orb beats Pokemon such as Toxapex very easily, as you regain too much HP in return, which is great as in most cases you nullify the effects of Life Orb. Earth Power is more so seen as a niche option, and Giga Drain allows you to safely OHKO Pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and overall is better vs the rest of the metagame as you do not have to predict against opponents stalling out your sun turns.

Shiftry
:Shiftry:

Due to the high usage of Steel teams at the moment, you might find Venusaur not being enough. Adding both Growth and Heat Wave can further increase your chance of beating Steel teams. Growth increases both its Atk and SpA by two in the sun. Adding Life Orb or Expert Belt over Dread Plate can allow you to cleanly OHKO Pokemon such as Bisharp, Melmetal, and Excadrill with 0 invested Heat Wave. An example calc would be (+2 4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Heat Wave vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal: 463-546 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (without factoring in the sun)). This allows Venusaur not to get pressured as much by Bisharp's Sucker Punch as Shiftry resists it.

Rotom-Mow
:Rotom-Mow:

The only suggestion here is adding Volt Switch over Will-O-Wisp. Being able to revenge kill threats without having to stay in, locked into the move after is valuable. Volt Switch also just provides momentum in general on predicted switches allowing your teammates to get in safely.

That's all I've got, I enjoyed reading your RMT. Some closing thoughts are, that this team may be too reliant on sun, therefore over Rotom-Mow, you may want to slot in a Nasty Plot Celebi to break and sweep teams, as it has a higher speed tier than the rest of your team outside of the sun. Flying teams are very rare to encounter in the first place, so Rotom-Mow may not be fully providing a helpful role here. I will also experiment with this team on the ladder as I think sun is underrated right now. Good luck with the team!

:Ferrothorn: :Appletun: :Whimsicott: :Venusaur: :Shiftry: :Rotom-Mow:

Last edited:

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi very nice team here, I do have some slight suggestions for you to consider.

Changes

:Ferrothorn:
Ferrothorn

Ferrothorn should have 0 Speed ivs with a Relaxed nature to boost the power of Gyro Ball. The SpD investment also is not needed, you said you have the investment for Pokemon such as Alolan Ninetales, however, Alolan Ninetales is already doing very little damage to Ferrthorn as is, and Gengar's Focus Blast will still 2HKO with your Ev spread regardless. If Gengar is Choice Specs it will still have a 50% chance to OHKO from full, versus no investment in SpD. Giving Ferrothorn a spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD allows you to take Galarian Darmanitans Icicle Crash even better, as well as take attacks better from the likes of Weavile, Cloyster, Dracovish, Keldeo's Secret Sword, and other physical attackers better.

Appletun
:Appletun:

Running Recover over Dragon Pulse provides Appletun with reliable recovery to allow Appletun to stick around longer in matches where Leech Seed just isn't enough and makes Appletun harder to break. If however, if you actually find yourself struggling vs Substitute Hydreigon (which you can encore with Whimsicott and deal with it through other means.) then you can opt for Dragon Pulse again.

Venusaur
:Venusaur:

You mention that you dislike taking Life Orb recoil, however, you may find this the case as you are not running Giga Drain. Giga Drain with Life Orb beats Pokemon such as Toxapex very easily, as you regain too much HP in return, which is great as in most cases you nullify the effects of Life Orb. Earth Power is more so seen as a niche option, and Giga Drain allows you to safely OHKO Pokemon such as Keldeo, Terrakion, and overall is better vs the rest of the metagame as you do not have to predict against opponents stalling out your sun turns.

Shiftry
:Shiftry:

Due to the high usage of Steel teams at the moment, you might find Venusaur not being enough. Adding both Growth and Heat Wave can further increase your chance of beating Steel teams. Growth increases both its Atk and SpA by two in the sun. Adding Life Orb or Expert Belt over Dread Plate can allow you to cleanly OHKO Pokemon such as Bisharp, Melmetal, and Excadrill with 0 invested Heat Wave. An example calc would be (+2 4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Heat Wave vs. 244 HP / 0 SpD Melmetal: 463-546 (98 - 115.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO (without factoring in the sun)). This allows Venusaur not to get pressured as much by Bisharp's Sucker Punch as Shiftry resists it.

Rotom-Mow
:Rotom-Mow:

The only suggestion here is adding Volt Switch over Will-O-Wisp. Being able to revenge kill threats without having to stay in, locked into the move after is valuable. Volt Switch also just provides momentum in general on predicted switches allowing your teammates to get in safely.

That's all I've got, I enjoyed reading your RMT. Some closing thoughts are, that this team may be too reliant on sun, therefore over Rotom-Mow, you may want to slot in a Nasty Plot Celebi to break and sweep teams, as it has a higher speed tier than the rest of your team outside of the sun. Flying teams are very rare to encounter in the first place, so Rotom-Mow may not be fully providing a helpful role here. I will also experiment with this team on the ladder as I think sun is underrated right now. Good luck with the team!

:Ferrothorn: :Appletun: :Whimsicott: :Venusaur: :Shiftry: :Rotom-Mow:
Hmm kk! I'll make the implementation on Ferrothorn and I'll Sash the Will-o-wisp on Rotom-C! I'm used to covering all of my weaknesses and webs water was one of them without tom(I tried NP Celebi) and I will def consider it over Rotom-C again as well. Hydreigon was a little pressuring for me because Smogon suggests a set without a Dragon-type attack so it can freely just sub and kill Whimsicott with a Flamethrower even if I attempt on switching in. I can test Shiftry again but it looks like a OU set and Steel literally is wrecked by Venusaur and the combination of other Pokemon crippling the team! I have more replays but I don't need Mew/Galarian Corsola being a huge pain. I will still slash all these sets, however!

Conflux

big boy diamonds
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey so I got a couple of different changes to recommend.

Major Changes

Rotom-C -> Virizion

->

Rotom-C's main role on Grass teams was dealing with problematic Flying-types such as Corviknight and Togekiss, but Venusaur is able to check both now with Weather Ball and Sludge Bomb in sun, so it's no longer mandatory as other common Flying types such as Mandibuzz and Charizard can be dealt with since the former is too passive to be a threat and the latter can be checked by Appletun's Thick Fat as well as Choice Scarf Virizion's Stone Edge. Scarf Virizion is also able to outspeed and threaten +1 Kyurem-B and Choice Scarf Galarian Darmanitan, as well as run Smart Strike to OHKO Alolan Ninetales to eliminate the opposing weather. Grass STAB isn't needed on a Grass-type team so for the last move I suggest Sunny Day. You only have one Sunny Day setter which in most match ups is a suicide lead, so having Scarf Virizion also able to set it up is great so you can get more than one chance to let your sun abusers shine.

Minor Changes

Venusaur

I agree with Splash here, Weather Ball and Giga Drain should never be competing for a slot and Life Orb is the superior item to increase its wallbreaking potential. Earth Power isn't necessary since there's no Heatran, and its other attacks hit pretty much everything hard.

Ferrothorn

Gyro Ball does very little damage to Hatterene, which easily comes in on Ferrothorn and can destroy your entire team with sun boosted Mystical Fire, Dazzling Gleam for Appletun, and Psychic. Instead I suggest using Iron Head which 2HKOs Hatterene and you outspeed it when not running a -Speed nature.

Appletun

You should always run Recover on Appletun instead of slashing it with Dragon Pulse. I wouldn't drop either move personally since without Dragon Pulse your team is very weak to Substitute Hydreigon. I would probably drop Leech Seed here since without Apple Acid you would have only one Grass STAB.

:ss/ferrothorn: :ss/appletun: :ss/whimsicott: :ss/venusaur: :ss/shiftry: :ss/virizion:
[click on the sprites for importable]

Hope my suggestions help you out, good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)