Tournament UUPL VIII - Finals [Won by Eterna Forest Veterans]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPP

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Head TD
Tournament Rules and General Guidelines
- Best of 3 tiers include SS UU, SM UU and ORAS UU. Both players can decide what tier to play first, and if they can't agree, then the first tier will default to SS UU. Loser picks the tier after that.
- Liepard and Riolu are banned from BW UU
- Baton Pass is banned from BW UU, DPP UU, and ADV UU
- All standard tournament rules apply
- Good luck and have fun!

Finals:

Camphrier Town Ladies (3) vs. (6) Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor
SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho
SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer
ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat
BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara
DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche
ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378
Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU

Deadline will be Sunday, May 24th at 11:59 PM GMT-4

Congrats to the teams that have reached finals! Good luck to all of you and let's hope we get some great games. I also wanted to take a moment and thank TDK and the UU community for letting me host this tournament and Finchinator for co-hosting it with me. It's been a fun and positive experience for me and I genuinely enjoyed it. Also wanted to say thanks to HSA for helping me with the spreadsheet as he made my life far easier updating it than I could have ever imagined. Best of luck to the finalists and thank you all for being a part of this year's UUPL :toast:

Last edited:

Lily

wouldn't that be fine, dear
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Camphrier Town Ladies (4) vs Eterna Forest Veterans (5)

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau - IP has been on a tear for a while now and doesn't seem to be showing any signs of stopping. Hikaria hasn't been performing poorly by any stretch of the imagination but I can't really taking down his fellow boomer in this one.

SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor - I can't even find a joke here. Two creative and skilled players are going at it in this one and I really can't wait to watch. I normally would bold Accel here for sure but the last time these two clashed, GXE took it pretty handily, so he's absolutely got the potential. Looking forward to it.

SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho - basa plays like he's on crack most of the time but I haven't really seen anything from col49 so idk how I can really bold him. My zoomer is showing >:(

SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer - I love pdt with all my heart but I simply cannot see Christo dropping a game this season.

ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat - Santu has been messing everyone up this UUPL and the tycoon seems to be struggling to find his feet. However, this is dingbat, so it's entirely possible that he crits 3 turns in a row and makes Santu disconnect, earning him the win.

BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara - I'm very happy to see that amuk has been freed, though I'm surprised he's playing this week of all times. Wasn't he supposed to be going to Vegas?

DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche - I don't really have much justification for this one, I just saw esche vs Eo last week and thought it was like the coolest DPP game in the history of DPP games and want him to do it again.

ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy - Whenever Sam actually plays the game I've never seen him lose, and I don't think there's gonna be an act win in finals

GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378 - Santu vs Dingbat, but in a boomer tier

Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU - CBU is the slayer of worlds and gods, only impeded by Sacri. That said, Adaam is not gonna wanna lose to CBU twice, and it's also finals and he's talked a lot of shit so it's gonna look real bad on him if he takes an L.

Most of these are jokes if it wasn't obvious. I mainly just wanted to make this post to thank TPP and Finchinator for hosting this UUPL and to everyone else, participants and spectators, for making the experience as good as it was. Go Vets! :3

solonor24

Banned deucer.
solo predicts :O (only doing tiers I know)

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau: Hikari has picked it up the last few weeks, but IP to me represents a more consistent player and has had a really solid tour throughout its duration. Hikari does have Adaam support which I do value, but i'm gonna trust who I feel is the more consistent player.

SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor: Huge banger of a matchup and a rematch from masters. I love both these dudes, but I think Accel is gonna take the rematch, mainly because I feel GXE is too wild in the builder and is gonna gonna bring some bullshit tech thats either gonna hit nice or fail miserably. Gonna trust who I feel is more consistent once again. GXE also has a really ugly dog, I can never support that (I still ly bro).

SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho: Basa is improving a ton, but col's still better in every aspect of the game. I'm also not too impressed by basa, mainly because hes too impatient when he plays (throwing out coba vs ajna, staying in sylveon against raj vs twi).

SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer: Another banger matchup that I cant miss. Going with the upset pick here. This may seem irrational considering Christo is undefeated and beat pdt the first time, but my gut tells me pdt is gonna prep a crazy amount and play the best game of his uupl season. Excited for u bro

Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU: Literally cant pick its that close. I got CBU in ORAS, Adaam in SS, and SM as a tossup. Should be a super intense 3 games and probably the best b03 of the season.

Good luck to everyone

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Good luck to both teams I hope this uupl caps off with zero hax and pure skill vs skill bc we all know pocket monsters is a completely skill based game for high intellectuals and that's why my oras slot went 1-6 with the 1 being fuckin bumass bebo :(

Camphrier Town Ladies (5.5) vs. (4.5) Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau - Let's be honest here, the fact that IP has a winning record makes no sense LMAO ROFL LMFAO LOOOOL etc. Bolding hikari despite the horrible name change is only natural in a mu as one sided as this hahahaha. Yeah anyways, this guy has joined call for a grand total of 14 seconds in the last week combined and has thrown insults at me every single time, it's usually only like 3-4 seconds at a time that he joins so it's legit just harassment. Hikari will stomp due to being the superior cards against humanity player.
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor - Ahh, I'd like to bold gxe bc I like him but I value accel's mental health too much to not hope for him to win and secure the winning record despite me telling him zong would let shit like hax or panda roam free if he slaps it onto an otherwise offensive team and him not listening, he ended up winning anyways. I'm torn and will bold the letters "vs" bc I'd like to see a fun and exciting match more than anything and I do not want to taint the matches outcome with my predict bc I actually have 100% predict accuracy, you can trust me and you don't need to go check.
SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho - I bolded against basa vs booty and now I will bold basa to win even tho he got rid of his 3 letter smogon name which woulda gave him a significant power boost here. He beat booty and im mad at col for making martha go 0-3 this tour :(
SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer - I think it'd be absolutely braindead to bold anyone other than Christo in SM unless it's the almighty m00la. Luckily this is not the almighty m00la and Christo will play eenie meenie miney mo in his builder and secure the dub. Pdt is a big man tho i've heard.
ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat - It's nice seeing godbat back where he belongs. This whole tour I and everyone else has screamed at him to use steel types but honestly I think he's stronger w/o them. This mu will be very similar to Santu vs Killintime where santu will definitely ask pak for a team the day before they play but ding will w/o question have no fucking idea what to do when he inevitably sees a hydreigon on his screen and will dodge 2 willos and crit 2 stone edges to win the game after around 30 turns of clicking his ass off just tryna get back to that one roller coaster game he plays from like the 2000s
BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara - Seeing amuk's name will forever remind me of the fact that we somehow forced out pert with nidoqueen in the last 4 turns of an oras game and won. r0ady has voiced his desire to start up an old gens thread, doing the dirty work of the community bc nobody else will do that for a bunch of pos metagames, due to all this evidence I find r0ady guilty of winning.
DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche - esche is incredibly handsome but I like heysup and I’m just blatantly assuming his DPP prowess has a higher floor/ceiling than esche’s due to being a literal veteran despite esche being the one on the team named the veterans.
ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy - Chances are this game either won't happen or be the tour deciding game due to both users forgetting all about this until the last second when their managers ping them that it's time to be unleashed. Raichy seems like a nice guy and ive never spoken to sam i yam personally, i just used his sm pu hail teams for suspects.
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378 - Idc at all about this shit if I'm being honest. I saw this video yesterday of zuko from avatar the last airbender's voice actor screaming HONOR irl every 3 seconds and shooting out video edited fire every time and I enjoyed it a lot. Zokuru's name reminds me of zuko and therefore Zukoru will win because he has to regain his honor due to being banished from the fire nation from his pussy ass father.
Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU - This is the one everyone will have their eyes on this week. Two 7-1 users squaring off to decide once and for all who is superior. Legend has it that Sacri' is an extremely handsome man and only people at least half as handsome have a shot at beating him. Adaam defied the odds and proved to be at least half as handsome, and yet this isn't even mentioning the endless supply of content he has given to us as consumers throughout this tournament. CBU could not quite climb the mountain of Sacri, but has been more than impressive all tournament long w/o question, both users bring borderline horrible builds to SM like 40-50% of the time, both users are incredible in their own ways, both users have had an incredible season and have climber their way to the top of the uupl totem pole in which TPP awaits the victor at the top with a trophy, lookin like an angel as he usually does. Who will win? /pick decided Adaam would bc I couldn't decide myself.

go vets tho i have more friends there :) (: Ü

Last edited:

Ask and you shall receive lol.
YAHALLO AND WELCOME BACK TO THE UNBIASED PREDICTIONS

Camphrier Town Ladies (8)
vs. (1) Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau | come on people. Indigo Plateau is 6-1, and Hikari is 2-3. Does that really matter here? Like, really? LOL You could either have a man considered to be the best UU player during his peak, or someone who is winless on the sheet. I'm not falling for this ruse. Big edge for Hikari.
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor | These players have had similar seasons. Accelgor was obviously always going to be an absurd overpay. Like 26k??? like what? That being said, at least he's played on the big stage before. I'm not really a believer, but that's enough for a small edge in this one.
SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho | 49 struggled mightily his last time out on the big stage. That being said, at least he's a recognizable name who has put forth some solid performances in the past. I don't really have any idea who the other guy is; both have basically performed the same this season in limited sample sizes as well.
SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer | The easiest game of the entire series MY GOD Imagine not bolding GOAT CHRISTO against some complete random LOL come on bros. I didn't even check their records till now LOL Christo's 8-0 my god this man's smashing everyone. His opponent's positive, so at least there's that. There's no way this random dragon clown is taking down the best UUer of the generation though. Big edge.
ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat | I think dingbat was like some showdown dude? Idr, honestly. He's not nearly as relevant as Santu, who has kept surprising me in official tours lately. Add in the fact that dingbat is 2-5, and this becomes an easy win for Santu. Big edge.
BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara | idk. I've heard of r0ady before, I guess? And his record is better, so just off that, he can have a miniscule edge.
DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche | lord esche flopped spectacularly in his debut performance on the big stage. He also got smashed in his follow-up performance; dude is 2-11 on the sheet LOOOL jesus fuck that's almost as bad as obii. Heysup, meanwhile, has put forth a plethora of solid performances in the past. He has been playing a fair amount lately in Corona PL, so I'm not as worried about the crust factor here, especially since he'll be playing a crust tier against an unviable player. Esche's record is a bit better, but how much does that really matter when the skill difference is this massive? Heysup also won their last meeting. Big edge.
ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy | I don't really have a read here. Raichy has quite a few more games on the sheet, but Sam has a better record. The same can be said for their performances in this tour. This is a straight tossup.
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378 | Zokuru displayed some surprising competency in GSC OU last SPL; I expect his skill can translate over to GSC UU relatively well. He is positive, so there's that. The Ice Beamer, meanwhile, has apparently smashed the competition to the tune of a 7-1 record. Does that really matter? Honestly, I don't have that much faith in the Ice Beamer. I don't really think he's too good of a player, and would expect his fortunes to turn around eventually. Zokuru is a better player, so I'm going to trust him to take this one.
Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU | Another player who has heavily outperformed expectations is CBU. Who knew that a non-Asta / Fear / roudolf Greek player could possibly fluke his way to a 7-1 record? Crazy. Adaam's infinitely more proven and is definitely better.

I'm not really sure how these blind squirrels managed to find enough acorns to luck their away into the finals. This team looks absolutely horrific. Then again, it is an unofficial tour, so I suppose things like this do happen. Maybe they can fluke their way to a victory, but if anyone can stop them, it's GOD CHRISTO

Wanka

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
UUPL Champion
Im bored. If you get offended by these then lick my taint.

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau ---- Old man Hik finds himself starting in another finals of UUPL, if you asked him how, I dont even think he could give u an answer. That being said, I'll take old and wise over IP as I think IP sometimes gets caught up in turn by turn thinking that I think Hik can take advantage of.

SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor --- GXE seems to pay marginably better with shit he's comftorable w so honestly this is more of a prep win for me. Accel seems to be more versatile being able to use whatever, but I could see GXE winning fo sho.

SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho ----- go col

SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer --- I get the upset hype but Christo is just too much of a vet to lose to pdt I think. It's one thing to try and outplay shitters every turn but I can easily see Pdt trying to make too many crackhead plays and shitting the sheets here.

ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat --- This mu makes my brain hurt. Dingbat's team choices continue to make zero sense week by week whereas santu is probably the more surefire player, but has also played some wack games. Like dingbat prolly will win if he pulls some headass mu, but ill HL santu cus he's beaten ABR before?????

BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara ---- better grip on the meta ig, as long as r0ady doesn't get outprepped I think he wins. amuk used quite possibly the worst ORAS UU team i've seen in 3 years not long ago so I have to kind of hold a grudge here as well, unfort.

DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche --- I choked a win vs heysup in CPL so as long as he doesn't get haxed (seems to happen to him a lot tho) he'll win.

ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy --- :blobnom: Raichy kinda of plays linear at times and can fuck up from what ive seen, but if he starts the game off strong he's usually pretty good at keeping a lead and closing games out.

GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378 --- dogshit tier idk, 378 seems like the fan pick here

Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU --- CBU is an experienced crackhead that seems to always outplay his opps but chadaam is arguably the best UUer rn imo so I think he'll be able to combat CBU's style effectively in a 3 game set.

Hikari gets carried to back to back rings, classic. Go Ladies

yeezyknows

Banned deucer.
1589590270604.png

swag lol

i also fixed the order with which i make percentages for predicts, i used to just do higher number first but some people have made fun of me for that and i succumb easily to peer pressure

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau (40-60)

hikari's played pretty well this tour but IP's been a consistent slot in SS and i favor his metagame knowledge and just general commitment/dedication here more so than i do hikari's. it's idiotic to discount hikari fully as he has more overall experience with playing than IP but i'm under the impression that active engagement with the tier tips the scales here more so than experience does.

SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor (40-60)

gxe is a great player and i love when ladder dudes prove the clowns who dump on ladder wrong by proving that ladder has merit. regardless, accel's experience gives him a marked edge here. i think accel's builds have largely been better too, although gxe's teams have been pretty nice. i don't think there's any universe where gxe should get a clear-cut edge here but it's again stupid to say he can't win, as he's dumpstered people of similar quality during this tour.

SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho (45-55)

bit of an upset here but i am higher on basa than most. i feel like he's also a lot more committed and wants to prove himself more than the veteran here in col. basa's fundamentals are also sound, as i know he's gotten a fair bit of stour points recently. i think this case is similar to hikari vs IP, but i don't favor basa as much as i do IP because he doesn't have the same level of experience. the same can be said for the hikari/col comparison, as i see col being more in-touch with the current meta.

SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer (70-30)

yeah christo should never be boldest against in uupl in sm uu. that's just a fact. pdt is super good and i've been high on him since we drafted him in uupl 2019 but christo's experience shouldn't be discounted. i think pdt can beat him in the builder, especially if christo reuses, but again christo has this profound ability to just make opponents choke and or misplay, which i feel could be a significant factor here.

ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat (75-25)

i'm super high on santu and pretty low on dingbat relative to other people, and i'd be surprised if dingbat takes this without a serious MU advantage or general hax in his favor. i feel like dingbat could certainly beat him in the builder, but if santu has a team with even a marginally playable mu, i don't see dingbat winning this. santu's just more experienced and has a really nice blend of calculated aggression.

BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara

yeah both are really good in both the builder and playing-wise. i haven't watched r0ady's games too closely aside from when he played punny but he played pretty solidly in both games and he definitely had a building edge. however, i'm pretty high on amukamara as a BW builder. i know he's a solid player in uu and can pilot with teams in essentially any tier he wants to, but his building in BW has been super innovative while also retaining viability, which is one of my favorite traits in a player. i don't see either r0ady or amukamara with a significant edge here in either playing or building regards.

DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche (60-40)

esche played a phenomenal game vs Eo last week, but heysup is heysup lol. he's an absolute beast in oldgens uu, and dpp uu is probably his strongest tier out of these metagames. esche can certainly win this, but heysup's metagame knowledge is legitimately second to none in this tier. i don't think this is as cut-and-dry as saying heysup's going to dominate, but his experience and inherent skill in this meta shouldn't be overlooked.

ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy (45-55)

if sam shows up this is gonna be a great game. raichy's super good at adv uu but sam's no slouch either. i'd assume raichy's more motivated to win but having heysup support on sam's side does even the scales in this context. i don't have much more to say, i'm not an expert on adv uu but raichy's consistency in this tier over the past two uupls is admirable.

GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378

i haven't bought into the 378 koolaid. call me ignorant of the meta, which i am, but 378's been on the favorable side of a fair bit of luck this tour, more so than anyone else in gsc. zokuru's proven to be a solid player, as evidenced by his spl, and i feel like that awards him a bit of an edge playing-wise. i don't know when 378 last played officials, but i believe that zokuru's recent play ultimately awards him a more stable baseline of play than 378, regardless of their respective degrees of motivation or their mentalities.

Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU (55-45)

i'm higher on adaam than i am of CBU. that's it. both are phenomenal players who should both tear up snake if they sign up but i feel like adaam's baseline of play is just higher. their metagame knowledge is identical across all three tiers, which furthers the slight advantage i'm giving to adaam. both have innovated well in all three tiers and know the metas incredibly well, i just feel like adaam is a more experienced and accomplished player at this point in time.

ramolost

parfum quartier
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
fuckle's predicts :
SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau (40 - 60) : idk much hikari i just saw some games and his cool ampharos-mega avi(cool avi bro) so this predict might be biased but ip is so good during this tour so i'll give the edge to him(cool avi as well bro nice chicken)
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor : i love you both and idk about this one go brothers !! should be a great game.
SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho (0 - 100) : who the fuck is col49
SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer (65 - 35) : im sorry brother but i have to bold christo here : hes goated he shitted on me during m00las tour and he has a custom avi ????? the edge is obvious . This shouldnt be a wrap tho pdt is a really solid player (love u pdt) in SM and he just has bring aboma and it should do the trick.
Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU (45 - 55) : ok hot take here but i'll be honest : the greek is a fucking monster and cant be stopped (unless hes facing a frenchie). Is Adaam french ? hes def not a frenchie. go cbu !! (adaam is so scary tho)

DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche :
WOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOOWOOHOO

go vets !!

sanguine

friendly fire
is a Tiering Contributor
what’s up smogon, it’s your friendly neighborhood predicter, faded love here to do his best to prognosticate this final exciting installment of UUPL!

Camphrier Town Ladies (4.5) vs. (5.5) Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau - This is almost destiny, in a way, that the great boomers of each team get to face off in finals. I’ve heard many rumors of how good hikari is once the games are relevant, but IP is no slouch either. This should be a fun one
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor (45-55) - GXE is the inspiration for all of those mid tier but not in this tournament players and ladder heroes out there, but Accelgor’s experience and ability to press advantages cannot be overlooked.
SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho - col49, when he shows up, is one of the most solid players on this website. However, basa is also very good, and is more of a sure shot to actually play the game, so this honestly could go either way.
SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer (60-40) - This is analogous to the NFL AFC championship game with PDT as the Titans and Christo as the Chiefs. PDT is good, even great at times, and definitely has a puncher’s chance to win in the builder and the game as a whole if a couple things go his way. HOWEVER, Christo is just on another level. I have never seen this level of domination from any player, nevermind one that appears to have a team pool consisting of less than 20. Christo all the way here.
ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat (80-20) - Santu throughout this tournament has been playing relatively solid and has good team selection, with dingbat on the other hand... not doing that. I expect Santu to clutch this one easily bar crazy luck or stupid matchup.
BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara (45-55) - These are both solid players, but I trust a little more in Amukamara’s ability to win in the teambuilder by thinking outside of the box, especially with Accelgor behind him.
DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche (60-40) - esche played last week masterfully, but Heysup is Heysup. Heysup is the king of UU oldgens, so I really can’t bold against him. This will be a good one for sure though.
ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy (45-55) - I don’t watch much ADV, but considering Raichy’s solid performance in this tier over the last year and a half, and how well he played last week despite some terrible luck, I expect a bounce back when it matters most.
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378 - Mr.378 has been hot, but also lucky. Zokuru has the experience at high levels of play to take this one, even if rolls don’t go his way. However, Mr.378 is good enough in his own right to swing it even without luck.
Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU (49.5-50.5) - These are two amazing players at the top of their respective games. Adaam probably has the edge in SM, and CBU has the edge in ORAS, so it all comes down to SS. I give the slightest of edges to CBU because I really trust in his ability to deconstruct the kinds of standard-ish bulky offenses that Adaam’s been liking as of late with some heat tech whipped up by one of the many great builders the Veterans have.

VAMOS VETERANS

Freeroamer

The greatest story of them all.
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Camphrier Town Ladies (6) vs. (4) Eterna Forest Veterans

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau - Interesting matchup, IP obviously has been doing great so far in this tour and SS in general, but Hikari has a lot more experience in playing in pressure games and has shown some good stuff in his games too, even if his record doesn't reflect that. Gonna go for IP's prep to edge him this one.
SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor - Ah the masters rerun... I predicted against Accel twice last week and he proved me wrong twice, even if the second one was a fortunate one so he can have the bold here as I'm still not super sold on GXE's creations+play. That said, there's a lot more good than bad there and it's always cool to see ppl do things slightly differently so this is definitely one of the games I'm looking forward to most.
SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho - col looked like he was in the groove last week with a cool team executed well while basa's play has been a little unrefined so far imo, with some questionable risks being taken. I'll go for col to bring smth creative and do his stuff again.
SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer - It's just impossible to find a reason to bold against Christo, he's been unmatched in his dominance this tour and obviously has stacks of tour experience behind him. pdt is fire tho and won't be afraid to pull triggers so I feel confident in saying that this won't be a straightforward one, even if I think Christo will ultimately win.
ORAS UU: Santu vs. dingbat - I say this every time I predict a dingbat game but I'll always go with the guy who I think is more likely to bring a solid team, as well as Santu having more experience in big tour games.
BW UU: r0ady vs. Amukamara - r0ady came through with a nice win last week against a tough opp while Amuk hasn't been playing for the last few weeks so it's hard to get a read, he did win last time out between these two though. I'll go for the hotter hand in r0ady.
DPP UU: Heysup vs. esche - esche was heat last week against Eo in a game that I thought looked dire at one point, while Heysup is in a pretty bleak run that's been punctuated by some awful luck so I'll go with the momentum here.
ADV UU: Sam I Yam vs. Raichy - Assuming Sam actually plays, he's looked pretty strong while Raichy has lost 3 out of his last 4 and seems slightly tilted so I'll back Sam to turn up here and take the W. If Sam doesn't make it then I think Raichy has a clear edge over any of the Ladies subs.
GSC UU: Zokuru vs. Mr.378 - I think it's hard for anybody to deny at this point that 378 has been one of the more fortunate players in this UUPL so far, although it'd be hella unfair to say he's only 8-1 because of that of course, as he's still played well and used his breaks to good effect. Zokuru came through with a huge win last week to clutch and is more proven in the bigger tours, so I think he might edge this one.
Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU - Man, both of these guys are people I would hate to have to prep for in a bo3 because they're not afraid to go slightly out there with cool offenses that just run you over if you give them the chance, particularly in SM. Going for CBU just off the fact that the last couple of times I've seen them play I just think he's had a little edge over Adaam and that might be all the difference here.

Last edited:

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I also wanted to take a moment and thank TDK and the UU community for letting me host this tournament and Finchinator for co-hosting it with me. It's been a fun and positive experience for me and I genuinely enjoyed it. :toast:
We should be the ones thanking you and others for putting work into hosting this...thank you!

Instead of predicts, since I'm in a team's chat and CBU verbally berates me whenever I voice independent thought, I'll post some highlights for individual players in SS and SM this tour:

SS UU: Saria vs. Indigo Plateau - I'm showing a loss for Saria's highlight because overall, I think he played excellently and the one bad turn he had just happened to cost him Pangoro. On turn 20 for example when he used Roserade to counter a Reuniclus and then he promptly set up Spikes, that was just fantastic and the best possible situation. Staying in on Flygon multiple times with Noivern, also fantastic. He's absolutely capable of finding best case scenarios for important turns and then making sure that best case scenario happens.

IP shows he's capable of innovating to find weaknesses in his opponent's building like with Dark Pulse Lucario here. But he doesn't take his foot off the gas pedal, he finds a nice way to win by setting up Necrozma on a -2 Roserade, and this was still before DD Necrozma usage was exploding. To me, it seems like Hikari/Saria is capable of completely dominating his opponents and making critical predictions while IP can make fantastic preparation in building and play very consistently. Spectators should look to see if Saria is reaching his very high ceiling and able to maintain it, as well as looking out for any of IP's special techniques to see if they work.

SS UU: 100%GXE vs. Accelgor - GXE was an early adopter of Escavalier in week 3 and it was nice to see him do A LOT of work with it against Roserade, Bronzong and Mamoswine. This was when Escavalier was getting 1 or 2 uses per week in SS, in week 6 it was the third most used Pokemon in SS! He didn't make any major predictions this game (except turn 12 Knock off) but his position was always good so it's good to see he can keep his cool and just slowly increase and convert the advantage.

Accelgor on the other hand is also capable of getting good positions and just calmly winning them like in week 4. It's not clear that Accelgor has a big MU advantage but after Sage clearly let the game deteriorate after turn 9 with Incinroar ravaging her team and then trying an obviously hopeless Darmanitan sweep when Rhyperior was still healthy, you can see Accelegor never relented. Spectators should look to whoever gets an advantage first and if that advantage can be maintained or increased over a couple turns, then it could be game over.

SS UU: col49 vs. basaninho - Basaninho is capable of just dismantling opponents like in week 7 when he brings a unique style of offense. Usually when people bring Wish Sylveon and Noivern they pair it with some random Bronzong/Esca/Copperjah fat steel and Incineroar and some fat water type or Celebi or other fat mon. Basaninho impressed me because he went with a totally different approach and went with pure power and it totally paid off in MU, his opponent's team was just too slow and didn't have proper counters. Also, plenty of spectators raged at Basa saying he misplayed by risking Sylveon on turn 9 but I thought it was fine, just a pretty obvious SR from Copperjah since Sylveon never stays in unless he has Mystic Fire which wasn't revealed yet.

Col49 brought what I consider an innovative team in semis - even though it's abusing Volt-Turn, a well known tactic, volt-turn hasn't proven too common at all this generation. He played pretty much perfectly accurately after setting up SR and eliminating Rhyperior, it didn't seem there was a way to stop him. Spectators should look at the team compositions and see if anyone gets a sizeable MU advantage - I'd expect them to be able to convert that.

SM UU: Christo vs. PinkDragonTamer - Frankly this whole tournament has been a Christo highlight. I'll just mention briefly his semis game where he brought a new team for once - he generally recycles teams - and put on Life Orb on Krook which shockingly hasn't been studied much before this game. After getting rid of Rotom Heat and Nidoqueen there was really nothing to stop Christo from spamming Volt Turn and winning so that's what he did. I think Christo loves to use very solid strategies with the most common Pokemon - Scizor, Latias, Krookodile, Manectric, Togekiss are all super common, top 15 or even top 10 - and people who watch him know that he plays very very quickly too. This helps induce chokes in his opponents (Although he doesn't need to rely on that frequently) because his brain is a bit faster than most people.

As for the rosy tinted behemoth discipliner, he seems to be more capable of using a variety of teams. He went for a spikes hyper offense in week 2 - except he didn't bring Spikes!. He got an advantage pretty early on by making some good but clear moves to get SR up again, it was good because he read that his opponent apparently wasn't interested in trying to predict him. He pretty easily dominated after that, culminating in a well timed Scizor sweep. For this game, spectators, should look pay close attention to what Christo brings - is he going to try and stay comfy with his usual Scizor/ Volt-Turns or stall, or will he branch out? If he does branch out, expect new techs and see if they work in the game or not.

Bo3: Adaam vs. CBU - Adaam has probably been the most active UUPL player all season, when writing up this post I see him in like 70%+ of all the game chats. This dude is addicted to Pokemon and needs to get a life. CBU on the other hand treats me like a battered wife sometimes.

For Adaam's HL game, I wanted to review his win in SS against CBU. His building was so correctly on point. Nidoqueen to stop CBU's beloved Volt-Turn and it also happens to beat basically everything else on CBU's team one v one except Mamoswine. Scarf Rotom also helped too. I feel like Z Belch Hydreigon was a fine choice too, considering that CBU frequently brings fairies (well everyone does). But the thing that most impressed me was Adaam managed to fit his beloved Shark into his team too. So Adaam was able to prep for CBU while also using a Pokemon he was super comfortable with.

CBU though won that match overall, partly by winning the SS game. Early on he adopted Pangoro and it has absolutely exploded in usage, the ladder in April used it 600%+ more compared to March. Even so, he struggled until Adaam couldn't pull the trigger on Noivern and Rhyperior died (well it was a hard prediction anyways) on turn 12. Pangoro sealed the deal for CBU there and he just played very reasonably and didn't let his advantage go away. I'd say this match is pretty similar to the Christo/PDT match. Spectators should look out for their prep and see if they are using teams they are known for using and very comfortable using or will the branch out; if they do branch out, will their special techniques work?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)