Done Fix Mew's RBY Sprite (Fix on Post #3, like 30 others Post #4, more things thereafter)

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Most, if not all of the issues shown here have now been fixed. The images for old sprites pulled from the index of sprites, so any congruent ones have been fixed. Thanks to Zarel for helping me get these uploaded!

The PS Model Fixing thread specifically said to not talk about 2D sprites on it, so I don't think I have anywhere else to go.

This is a fairly simple fix suggestion; Mew has an area around its tail that isn't transparent, when it should be. Here's a screenshot with it in action.

Screenshot_20201025-194626_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you for your time!

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
On closer inspection, it appears this issue has come up with a few other sprites. So, in my infinite wisdom, I decided to go through every sprite on the index. For the most part, they're fine, but some seem to have just had the outer white bits removed and nothing else. It's easy to tell when the problem is there, as it's a slight off-white, unlike what's actually meant to be white. Thus, if it breaks the 4-colour limit of the GBC (black, white, and 2 others), the sprite has a problem.

Old
Proposed Change
Issue
aerodactyl.png
Space between legs was not transparent.
bellsprout.png
The area between the head and stem was not transparent.
cloyster.png
Literally one pixel on the right "spear" part of the shell.
farfetchd.png
Feather tufts on the right wing and head had pixels where there wasn't transparency, causing an odd merged appearance.
fearow.png
A single pixel on the crest caused the front spike to blend in with the second, which came from lack of transparency.
flareon.png
Tail curves past the ear, but the dead space wasn't made transparent.
hitmonchan.png
Single pixel near the boxing glove wasn't transparent, causing the boxing glove to kind of merge with chan's body.
kabutops.png
Dead space around the right sickle was not transparent. Not sure how this wasn't reported during the NU spotlight ladder tbh.
kadabra.png
Dead space around the 'stache wasn't transparent, causing it to look as if it was merging with Kadabra's body. Curiously, a single pixel between the arm and shoulder on the left was transparent, so this was a funny oversight.
magnemite.png
The right magnet didn't have transparency inbetween the prong things idk what to call em
magneton.png
Same issue as Magnemite only for the bottom left magnet.
mankey.png
Pixels on the feet and left ear weren't transparent.
nidoranf.png
Single pixel between the ears causes them to merge a bit.
ninetales.png
Few pixels on the "hair" weren't transparent. It's meant to come off from the neck more cleanly. 3 pixels total. It's a bit hard to notice just how much of a difference it makes, so I enlarged the previews of these a bit. Once you notice, it's really jarring.
oddish.png
Transparency on the middle to right leaf wasn't there.
omastar.png
Two pixels on the tentacles
paras.png
Single pixel on a left leg
parasect.png
The space between the legs on the right had no transparency at all.
pidgeot.png
The area where the wings and "hair" meet has non-transparent pixels. There were also feather tuft issues akin to Farfetch'd.
ponyta.png
Two pixels between the front and hind legs.
porygon.png
A single pixel on the duckbill thing caused it to "merge" with the body when it shouldn't have. This is meant to be transparent.
psyduck.png
Hair tufts were merged due to lack of transparency. Very jarring when you realize the problem...
squirtle.png
Two pixels, one on the arm by the head, and the other affixed the tail to Squirtle's shell...
tauros.png
Dead space between the tails wasn't made transparent, which causes it to look a bit odd.
tentacruel.png
This one has annoyed me for a long time. No dead space was made transparent at all, causing it to be difficult to actually see where the tentacles begin and end. Did no UU player notice this one?
vaporeon.png
Single pixel between the weird fish tail and the head
venonat.png
Dead space between antennae and head, plus some bits on the fuzz, were not transparent
venusaur.png
Dead space between the rafflesia petals and head weren't transparent, as well as an issue with the "trunk".
victreebel.png
The area where the stem comes from the leaf and moves down wasn't transparent, kind of sticking it to Vic's body in a way. Kinda odd.
weedle.png
Dead space between head and tail wasn't transparent, Bellsprout syndrome
zapdos.png
Dead space between talon and wing weren't transparent, creating a weird appearance. There were also some bad pixels on the wings and various other areas.

I shall now go lay in a dark room.
If needed I'll go through the back sprites but they should probably just be replaced with Yellow ones entirely as CoolMan6001 outlined.

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Next round of sprite fixes, this time with Red and Green, taken from the sprite index on PS. This one had some more complex issues to fix, but I got through it.

I can state without a shadow of a doubt that whoever did these sprites did it with some kind of auto-transparency app. Here are two notable cases from the Arcanine and Venusaur from the index of RG sprites;
1603767500820.png
1603769856183.png

Does something seem odd to you? There should be...because major details of their sprites got removed, due to the way the transparency was applied. Whoever did it clicked the outside white area and then deleted it all, not realizing the consequences. A rare but notable way Game Freak produced sprites in RG, was by using white pixels to define outlines while presumably saving memory on the cartridge. As a result, when whoever did the transparency for these sprites clicked the outside, Arcanine had a portion of the hind leg removed, and a lot of Venusaur's rafflesia got cut off too. I believe that the Venusaur sprite on the RG index also wasn't copied over correctly, because a whole part of the top was just missing.
arcanine.png
venusaur.png

Here's what the Arcanine sprite is meant to look like. I manually added the white space back to the hind leg and erased that dead space. As for Venusaur, I had to get a reference to reconstruct the rafflesia properly, as a whole part of the top got cut off. I then added transparency to pixels that didn't have it, such as some areas on the petals. There were a few other sprites with this issue, such as Wartortle and Kingler, but they were minor.

There were a lot more problems that I fixed, but there's too many for me to list, like with the RB sprites. I don't blame whoever did this for making the mistakes, as it's likely they just didn't know how the sprites worked. It wasn't a bad method either, it worked for most sprites (and made this easier to go through), it just didn't work for some sprites and...made them worse than when they started.

Anyway, I'll be doing RGB back sprites next, and may do the Yellow palette back sprites if I'm feeling up to it. Not sure about the latter yet.

Attachments

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Next round of fixes, this time for the RGB Back Sprites.
hypno.png

For some reason, Hypno's eye was transparent. Pretty morbid. You sure there's no hyper-realistic blood coming out of that socket?

I intend to do the Yellow back sprites as CoolMan6001 pointed out, but I had to go on a bloody quest to actually find the damn things. Bulbapedia doesn't actually have them, so I opened up Veekun for the first time in months and got hold of a sprite sheet. Seems I'm in for a ride.

Wish me luck!

EDIT:
I came up with a crackhead method of doing it. I had to find a mass downloader to pull them all from the index of sprites, but hey, better to have them on me for future reference. I cut out the sprites from the now-doubled in size sprite sheet, paste them directly over the RB sprites, then apply the transparency. It's not really difficult, just tedious. So long as I paste them directly over the area where the sprite cuts off, it should be fine and translate perfectly.

So here's Abra and Aerodactyl as a proof of concept, before I go and do all 149 others...
abra.png
aerodactyl.png

Attachments

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
Some further RGB back sprite refinements since I found issues while doing the Yellow back sprites;
electabuzz.png
ponyta.png
porygon.png
raticate.png
rhydon.png

Ponyta, Porygon, Raticate and Electabuzz were raised/lowered and had parts of their sprites cut off. Rhydon had two pink pixels on the left just missing.

The Yellow back sprites have been finished and are ready to be put onto PS, thereby meaning all the RGBY sprites should be done and dusted. All of the Yellow back sprites had to be done from scratch to fit onto PS's "canvas" and position, as well as to implement transparency. No, I couldn't find a single place with transparent Yellow sprites, nor do I think I'd want to use them given the issues I've found here.

And that's everything!

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)