Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Hi I was wondering how to make stall teams/ play stall. I know people hate it but its something I want to learn a bit of.
Stall teams are made up of walls. Your main goal is to maintain youe health while slowly chipping away at your opponent, using hazards and status conditions. You can also attack to get chip down. A good stall teams beats all of the main wallbreakers in the tier. That's just the basic idea.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It says on serebii that you'll wake up from sleep
https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/moves/electricterrain
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/moves/electric-terrain/
For 5 turns, the terrain becomes Electric Terrain. During the effect, the power of Electric-type attacks made by grounded Pokemon is multiplied by 1.3 and grounded Pokemon cannot fall asleep; Pokemon already asleep do not wake up. Grounded Pokemon cannot become affected by Yawn or fall asleep from its effect. Camouflage transforms the user into an Electric type, Nature Power becomes Thunderbolt, and Secret Power has a 30% chance to cause paralysis. Fails if the current terrain is Electric Terrain.
Use the Showdown and Smogon dexes instead. Serebii and Bulbapedia often have mechanical inaccuracies on their pages.

https://dex.pokemonshowdown.com/moves/electricterrain
https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/moves/electric-terrain/

Use the Showdown and Smogon dexes instead. Serebii and Bulbapedia often have mechanical inaccuracies on their pages.
I was just wondering because this wouldn't have been the first time showdown gets it wrong like with the Metronome item incident

Edit: Was that really a thing or an April fools joke? I can't find any info on it anymore. Tell me the Paralysis one from Gen 1 is true at least

Last edited:
Trying to build a Gengar set but not really a fan of the standard substitute set, any suggestions to which way to go? I’ve normally gone choice scarf + trick/focus blast/shadow ball/sludge wave, but wanting to try something new (finally transferred some shiny ghastly’s over from Pokémon go) any help would be much appreciated!

Trying to build a Gengar set but not really a fan of the standard substitute set, any suggestions to which way to go? I’ve normally gone choice scarf + trick/focus blast/shadow ball/sludge wave, but wanting to try something new (finally transferred some shiny ghastly’s over from Pokémon go) any help would be much appreciated!
Try specs, it gives a massive boost of power, or you could switch trick for nasty plot, and run life orb as the item.

another thing that I occasionally tried with some results was focus sash+counter+destiny bond, it's more in heat territory, but it can often just win you the game off a 2 for 1 counter into destiny bond, and no one expects that set

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
NP 3A with LO is probably best rn

Usually at least a week or two, but it depends entirely on the state of the metagame and the suspects themselves. We are likely to conduct a playerbase survey to determine how to proceed next.
What do u prefer to be suspected first finch, mag, veil or ace (please veil not)

GeniusFromHoenn

is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
How much does a team need entry hazards in general?(Gen 8 OU)?

Sometimes I built teams, and than realized that it doesnt have any hazards. Hazards are very important overall, as every chip counts. But, with buffed defog since gen 6 and HDB (Heavy Duty Boots), some Pokemon can avoid this. Even so, hazards are still widely used in the metagame. While they are helpful, how much are hazards really needed on a team?

Katy

Banned deucer.

Sometimes I built teams, and than realized that it doesnt have any hazards. Hazards are very important overall, as every chip counts. But, with buffed defog since gen 6 and HDB (Heavy Duty Boots), some Pokemon can avoid this. Even so, hazards are still widely used in the metagame. While they are helpful, how much are hazards really needed on a team?
Stealth Rocks is the least amount someone should run on the team, especially when it comes to Hyper Offense, Offense, Bulky Offense and Balance. Those teams prefer having at least Stealth Rocks to turn 3HKOes into 2HKOes or in the case of bulky offense and balance, to chip down the opposing team over the course of the game. Knock Off can help in this case to get rid of the Heavy-Duty Boots the Pokemon in the opposing team carry.
To reflect on hyper offense again, that team archetype also likes to have multiple entry hazards, in the case of the so called hazard stack ho, where Mew is an excellent teampartner for this purpose. But Stealth Rocks in general are very much appreciated just like they are in past generations.
The most common setters include: Landorus-T, Garchomp, Heatran, and Clefable and to a lesser degree Ferrothorn, Nidoking, Swampert, and Tyranitar.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

Personally, I only ever click stealth rock when I'm in a weather war as it easily chips down Pelipper and Torkoal. I don't think rocks is that great atm since literally every rock weak pokemon is gonna have boots are you're not gonna have an easy time knocking it off. I think spikes are the best hazards atm because fuck Magearna but that's probably just me spamming Ferrothorn like hell

I think that the biggest benefit of hazards atm is that sooner or later, you're opponent will have to defog and in the process, give you a free turn. Also, consider which mons you have on the team. If you have a lot pf physical attackers, then you probably want sr to wear down Landorus Therian. If you're team is vulnerable to Magearna, then try to fit in good old Ferrothorn because spikes actually hurt Magearna. If you have hex Dragapult, then maybe t spikes Pex. Those are just some examples but I think it really depends on which mons are on the team

Hi I was wondering how to make stall teams/ play stall. I know people hate it but its something I want to learn a bit of.
no shame in it, learning every playstyle makes you a well rounded player.

there is a lot to it, but I'll try to be brief. Generally, stall is an anti-meta playstyle in the sense that it's built with the goal of responding to the metagame defensively. Take a look at the SS OU viability rankings here , and try to come up with a defensive combination of 6 pokemon that can counter as many of them as possible (focusing mostly on the pokemon that are higher up on the list, as they are the most prominent). Be sure to include hazard control, a cleric (a heal bell/aromatherapy user), and an unaware pokemon to answer to setup sweepers. Examples of pokemon that work well on stall include Blissey, Toxapex, Galarian Slowking, unaware Clefable, Corviknight, etc.

Last edited:
If I'm running a special wall mandibuzz, do I simply use 252/252 Careful, or are there benchmarks I have to reach with Def and Speed?
56 speed makes Mandibuzz faster than adamant Crawdaunt, allowing you to U-Turn or Foul Play it. 60 Speed creeps 210 speed Aegislash, which is also common for outspeeding adamant Crawdaunt. With careful nature and no defense investment, you have a chance to be 2hko'd by Cinderace's high jump kick.

252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mandibuzz: 187-222 (44.1 - 52.3%) -- 17.6% chance to 2HKO

The standard Mandibuzz spread takes Cinderace's attacks pretty comfortably and still blanket checks many special attackers just fine.

252 Atk Libero Cinderace High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 60+ Def Mandibuzz: 160-190 (37.7 - 44.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Depending what you want mandibuzz to counter and the teamates you pair with :
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 237-280 (55.8 - 66%)
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 355-421 (83.7 - 99.2%)

252+ SpA Choice Specs Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mandibuzz: 169-201 (39.8 - 47.4%)
4 Atk Life Orb Aegislash-Blade Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Mandibuzz: 144-170 (33.9 - 40%)

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
How much speed does Nidoking run? And if max Spe with Timid, then what does max spe outsped that Modest can't?
It runs max Speed most of the time yes and its ability to outspeed Timid Heatran and especially speed tie with opposing Nidoking is pretty valuable since Modest doesn't 2HKO or KO many important targets that Nidoking wouldn't already do with a Timid nature.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
What are some good ways to scout what moves shift gear Magearna carries? This pokemon is literally driving me insane as I have to use a specific team just to beat it and galarian Slowking nor Heatran are good answers if Mag carries weakness policy and brute forces its way past them with stored power. So, are there any ways to scout what moves this specific set carries?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)