Resource Natdex OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Hi,

Having a sturdy defensive backbone coupled with some offensive firepower can produce some solid balance teams. That being said, having answers to other threatening Pokemon is more important than making sure you have a certain amount of defensive or offensive Pokemon. If you have a team featuring the core you've mentioned that you'd like some feedback on, you can post it in the Rate My Team forum or ask for help in the PS! Room, though be sure to read the RMT rules before posting there. You can also PM me on Discord (Sevelon#7539) and I'll gladly help you out. Take care!
I'll definitely hit up those forums, thanks a lot! also I hope it's alright if I do message about teams because I do have a lot of questions in regard to team structure.

so I am a beginner actually. What routes would you advise as far as going towards building a team goes? I would copy some hyper offensive or stall team I find on the internet, but I don't like the idea of copying someone else's team.
OK so I'm really not that good at teambuilding but here's a cool guide:
https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/teambuilding-guide.3552468/
I know it's from Gen 6 and some of the stuff is outdated, but I think it's a good guide and probably most of what I know is from it.

Why is Tornadus-T powerful enough to be banned in NatDex OU but not enough for regular OU? I understand Blaziken getting access to Z-moves in the NatDex meta pushing it over the edge, but does/did Torn-T really use Z-moves enough to make it too good for OU to handle, or is there another reason?

Why is Tornadus-T powerful enough to be banned in NatDex OU but not enough for regular OU? I understand Blaziken getting access to Z-moves in the NatDex meta pushing it over the edge, but does/did Torn-T really use Z-moves enough to make it too good for OU to handle, or is there another reason?
I recommend you read this post. Beyond that, Tornadus-T's newfound access to Nasty Plot has definitely influenced our decision to not retest it. Nasty Plot sets can achieve crazy things like OHKOing Zapdos at +2 with Supersonic Skystrike with Stealth Rock up. Zapdos may run Heavy-Duty Boots commonly, but it also attracts Knock Off like nothing else; most Tornadus-T checks are crippled very severely by its options.

Avery

Banned deucer.
Thanks! Why exactly is Fire the best? Is it to hit Steels consistently in exchange for covering weaknesses with Rock?
Pretty much. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn, Corviknight, Mega Scizor, and other Steels that would resist Leaf Storm. While Rock may seem useful to try and pin down Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y, the opportunity cost of losing the ability to hit the Steel-type Pokemon I mentioned earlier is huge. If you're worried about Zapdos or Mega Charizard Y, try using Hidden Power Fire Serperior alongside Z-Move Garchomp to cover such a weakness.

Pretty much. Hidden Power Fire hits Ferrothorn, Corviknight, Mega Scizor, and other Steels that would resist Leaf Storm. While Rock may seem useful to try and pin down Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y, the opportunity cost of losing the ability to hit the Steel-type Pokemon I mentioned earlier is huge. If you're worried about Zapdos or Mega Charizard Y, try using Hidden Power Fire Serperior alongside Z-Move Garchomp to cover such a weakness.
Very helpful, thank you!

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Why is Deoxys Speed Banned?
Its ludicrous Speed is one thing but the other large factor is its phenomenal movepool. Spikes, Stealth Rock and Taunt are already one thing because it would be unsurpassed and overcentralising as a lead with how fast it is, but add its outstanding movepool in Nasty Plot, Psycho Boost, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, Energy Ball, Taunt, etc. Not only is it faster than everything outside of Regieleki unboosted and heck faster than some of our most prevalent Scarfers with Timid but has a move to hit every single Pokemon at least neutrally. It's the perfect example of why Speed is the most important stat in the game and it abuses that far too well due to its infinite amount of options.

Hope this was helpful!

GeniusFromHoenn

is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
What are the roles of the following mons in natdex?
Basically, how are they usually used in the natdex meta as I wanna try it out?

Garchomp
Mega Garchomp
Greninja
Ash Greninja
Gliscor
Tyranitar

Reactions: R8
Why is Mega Garchomp considered bad in comparison to Landorus-Therian?
Mega Garchomp has more well-rounded stats. 19 more base HP, 25 more base Attack, 20 more base Special Attack, 15 more base Special Defense, and 1 more base Speed point. Mega Garchomp doesn't have Intimidate or access to items, but do the stats make up for that? Why is it bad or suboptimal in comparison?

Mega Garchomp has more well-rounded stats. 19 more base HP, 25 more base Attack, 20 more base Special Attack, 15 more base Special Defense, and 1 more base Speed point. Mega Garchomp doesn't have Intimidate or access to items, but do the stats make up for that? Why is it bad or suboptimal in comparison?
Landorus has far superior role compression. A ground and electric immunity in one with U-turn and Defog is not something Garchomp can do. It can also do Choice Scarf, SR Z Move, Defensive, Suicide Lead, and probably some other random stuff like Sub SD. Also Intimidate and access to items are way better than the better stats Mega Garchomp has. All this stuff makes Landorus-Therian way more slappable and overall much better than Mega Garchomp. Another thing is that Mega Garchomp by itself already isn't that good since regular Garchomp is better due to rough skin, higher speed, and access to Z-moves making it a more formidable wallbreaker. Mega Garchomp is better in the sand and probably does better with Scale Shot though.

Solaros & Lunaris

Hold that faith that is made of steel
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
What are the roles of the following mons in natdex?
Basically, how are they usually used in the natdex meta as I wanna try it out?

Garchomp
Mega Garchomp
Greninja
Ash Greninja
Gliscor
Tyranitar
:garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rockium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Outrage
- Swords Dance

Swords Dance Garchomp compresses offensive prowess and defensive utility, as it is incredibly hard to switch into its boosted attacks, while setting Stealth Rock and checking Heatran and Electric-types.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Flamethrower
- Roar

This set is meant to be used a backbone against many Fire- and Electric-types, as its greater lets it stave off Heatran, Cinderace, Mega Charizard Y, and Tapu Koko a bit easier. It still beats most Defoggers with Toxic, and can force Corviknight if running Flamethrower + phaze it with Roar.

:garchomp-mega:
Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Fire Fang / Aqua Tail

Swords Dance Mega Garchomp is alot less splashable than regular Garchomp, only fitting on hyper offensive teams, and even then it must compete with Mega Gyarados and Mega Mawile. However, it boasts incredible power, as even its weaker Scale Shots can rip through Pokemon like Zapdos and Tangrowth. The idea is to setup Swords Dance, then abuse Scale Shot to fix Mega Garchomp’s middling Speed.

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast

This set is even more niche, and needs to be properly built around to achieve much of anything. When invested, Draco Meteor and Fire Blast eviscerate Slowbro, Ferrothorn, and Corviknight, so it makes a great balance breaker. It also sets Stealth Rock, making it solid offensive utility.

:greninja:
Greninja @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- U-turn
- Spikes

With Cinderace in the metagame, Greninja has fell on hard times. Most people who use default to this set, as Z-Move sets are quite matchup based. This Greninja has a way to make progress regardless of if the team has Toxapex, Tapu Fini, or Blisset thanks to Spikes, U-turn, and Heavy-Duty Boots.

:greninja-ash:
Greninja-Ash (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn / Spikes

Unlike its Protean counterpart, Ash-Greninja is terrific right now. It has limited switch-ins that aren’t easily broken through with Spikes or pivoted on, and its just one KO away from transforming into a Pokemon with a higher Special Attack than Kyogre. Spikes and U-turn can also aid teammates in becoming much more threatening; U-turning on Blissey into Mega Medicham can be amazing for your team, for example.

:gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 192 SpD / 20 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Facade
- Roost

Thanks to its amazing longevity in Poison Heal and Roost, Gliscor is hard to stop for many balance teams, who need to dance around it before bringing in a revenge killer o take it out. While it won’t usually sweep, its a very effective stopgap to balance cores doing various shenanigans.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 52 Def / 192 SpD / 20 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock / Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Knock Off
- Roost

Gliscor is also an okay Stealth Rock setter / Defoggers, but this role is usually used on teams with enough breaking power and who need the utility of a Rocker / Defogger who beats Heatran. In general, its relative passivity limits how it fits onto teams.

:tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower / Earthquake / Fire Punch

Tyranitar is a monstrous breaker who is capable of shreddingteams without a Rock resist (most don’t). It also offers Pursuit, letting it chip down huge offensive threats with incredible ease.

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Mega Garchomp and Landorus-T have completely different niches, so they shouldn't really be compared to one another.

However if you want to know why Mega Garchomp is not used that often is because it is generally hard to justify over regular Garchomp. The mega slot is very important and regular Garchomp's higher Speed and ability to hold an item gives it much more flexibility in what it can do, making it harder to fit Mega Garchomp on a team outside of a few, such as hyper offense or sand teams.

Regular Garchomp exists and has a far better speed tier with the same benefit as its mega form of checking mons like Heatran and Zard Y, not to mention it doesn't use up the contested Mega-slot and can use Z-moves to break past checks like Tapu Fini.
As for Lando, it too doesn't use the mega slot and can use Z-moves just like regular Chomp, but also has more utility with U-turn and Defog, which lets it run more sets like Choice Scarf. Lando's Intimidate and Regular Chomp's Rough Skin are also far more useful than Sand Force, especially in Lando's case since Intimidate lets it soft check the dangerous Cinderace as well mons like Mega Mawile.
Mega Chomp is by no means bad, but it can be a bit difficult to justify using over those two.

How is SubRoost Kyurem, Nasty Plot Z-Hydreigon, and Serperior's matchup against Boots Blissey and Eviolite Chansey? They seem good or decent against it on paper but how do they do in reality?

How is SubRoost Kyurem, Nasty Plot Z-Hydreigon, and Serperior's matchup against Boots Blissey and Eviolite Chansey? They seem good or decent against it on paper but how do they do in reality?
Subroost kyurem wins against both, as it runs enough hp for its substitutes to not be broken by seismic toss, hydreigon only beats blissey with dragonium-z, however loses to it with any other set, and chansey hard counters hydreigon, unless it gives drei a free turn

GeniusFromHoenn

is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Is Reuniclus a good alternative for Mega Latias in NatDex?

The Mega Slot is already taken. I'm using a team with mostly Special Attackers, which includes Choice Specs Magearna. Based on what the community has to say, Magearna is probably getting banned, so I'm going to lose 1 answer to Blissey and Chansey. I thought of Mega Latias, but that wouldn't work since dual mega teams are bad, so I found out Reuniclus is B+ on the latest National Dex viability rankings. It has STAB Psyshock, Magic Guard, Recover, and the ability to set up Calm Mind in Chansey and Blissey's faces. It seems like a decent or good Mega Latias alternative on paper, but how good is reuniclus actually?

Is Reuniclus a good alternative for Mega Latias in NatDex?

The Mega Slot is already taken. I'm using a team with mostly Special Attackers, which includes Choice Specs Magearna. Based on what the community has to say, Magearna is probably getting banned, so I'm going to lose 1 answer to Blissey and Chansey. I thought of Mega Latias, but that wouldn't work since dual mega teams are bad, so I found out Reuniclus is B+ on the latest National Dex viability rankings. It has STAB Psyshock, Magic Guard, Recover, and the ability to set up Calm Mind in Chansey and Blissey's faces. It seems like a decent or good Mega Latias alternative on paper, but how good is reuniclus actually?
Well I think that Reunclius right now is incredible, but to call it a replacement for Mega Latias is not completely correct. Mega Latias does take a mega slot, but it is neither immune to hazards or Toxic, something Reuniclus feasts on. At the same time, Mega Latias has the ability to check dangerous ground types with Ice Beam, using its nice speed tier, on top of potentially Heatran or Zard Y. Reuniclus serves more to abuse any slower mons, mainly Toxapex, Ferrothorn, and any other bulky pivot you can think of. Notably Mega Lopunny dislikes these, so it forms a nice pair. Both abuse Spikes nicely, but I find it easier to fit Ash Greninja with Reuniclus in general. In summary, it comes down to what youre going for, and if you want to heavily abuse things like Toxapex, Reuniclus is your fit, while Mega Latias fits more to serve as a potent win condition that checks quite a few things in the process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)