[PROPOSAL] Posting Plus

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
My fellow admins, I come to you today to propose an inspired idea.

Smogon is free - we all know and love this. But what if there was a way for creators - our beloved Posting heroes - to make money off their work, enabling them to keep pumping out the content we adore? That's where my new idea - which I am tentatively calling "Premium Posts" - comes in. Under this model, a user would have the option to paywall any Post they made - I suggest leaving the cost open to the Poster's discretion.

Presented below is a "quick" mock-up of what a paywalled Premium Post could look like:

el postos del premiumos.png

You will notice that the preceding Post is still visible - in order to maximise profit, I think it would be wise to make it such that whole threads cannot be made Premium, but rather each individual Post.

Something of this sort has recently been announced on Tumblr, to great public excitement - the Smogon userbase will almost certainly welcome this in a similarly enthusiastic fashion (perhaps even without any death threats! Wow!).

To pre-empt a couple of questions:

Will this replace Smogon Gold?
No. There is enough difference between the two models that we can run both concurrently. In fact, it seems like an excellent money-making wheeze to have both; imagine a user finally coughing up for Smogon Gold to see a funny Post, only to have to pay further money because said Post has been Premiumised. Magnificent.

You keep mentioning "profit" and "making money" from this. How do we do that from a Poster-controlled paywall?
I grant you, my presentation has been somewhat vague on this front so far. We will be taking a cut of the profits - I suggest no less than 95%. This is, of course, a serious step down from our intake on all other projects (100+%), but as we are framing Poster profit as the main benefit here, I think it prudent to allow them a small piece of the pie. With any luck this'll shut BKC and the rest of the namby-pamby "pay your contributors" brigade up, too.

I trust you all agree with me that this is a brilliant plan with no possible negative outcome, and eagerly await your feedback below.

Oh, and do make sure this doesn't leak, will you? I want to keep it as a nice surprise for the plebeians.

//clef

Excuse me Mr. or Ms. or even Mrs. or just Total Clefairy, whichever you prefer. I have a few questions not answered by the OP.

Will all posts under the original post be locked behind the paywall or is it only specific posts?

And if it is the latter, who decides which posts are and aren’t premium? Wouldn’t that make some posters feel inadequate?

What is your favorite kind of celery?

If this were put into effect and you were to make a profit, what would you do with the money?

I also have a recommendation, in order to make it even more fair and great than it already is, I believe that admins and people who have a high reaction score shouldn’t have to pay, it will incentivize the lower class.. I mean newer people to make better posts.

What's to stop me, a hero, from getting money from my rich dad, elongated muskrat, buying every premium post, and copy and pasting it so no one has to pay. :smogthink:

Reactions: BP
idk it's just the prospect of making money off of posting sounds a little bit... odd, to say the least

it's somewhat interesting, I just find this whole thing a lil' bit odd. that's why i said it was a joke.

Here's what rocks about a posting plus: there are rather specific legal rules about the monetization of fanworks without the direct approval of the owner of the intellectual property, and almost certainly even in smogoff any conceivable mplementation of posting plus would run foul of those rules.

And due to Smogon's well earned immense popularity for the category of social space it's in, Smogon would almost immediately be given legal action, perhaps from all the known rights holders for the Pokèmon copyrights and trademark, including Nintendo, The Pokèmon Company, Creatures Inc, and Game Freak.

Following this Icarus level destruction of Smogon, we'd have to scatter to other alternatives and upon further consideration, many would realise that "The Premier Website for Pokèmon competitive battling" is not just a branding, but a title won by Smogon's hard working staff and dedicated volunteers who do incredible amounts of work to create enjoyable competitive formats, coordinating tournaments, documenting metagame progression and maintaining a meta worth playing enough to progress, and reasonable rules about social engagement that keep the barrier of conversation completely accessible to those inexperienced and curious without drowning out the most well versed when they are kind enough to give the time and energy to express their thoughts.

And then, everybody would come crawling back to Smogon... oh wait...

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Posting Plus is sponsored by NordVPN. Staying safe online is an ever growing difficulty and you could be exploited by hackers. NordVPN allows you to change your IP address, making you harder to track, securing your privacy. Sign up for NordVPN right now to get a 20% off for the first two months.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Excuse me Mr. or Ms. or even Mrs. or just Total Clefairy, whichever you prefer. I have a few questions not answered by the OP.
Mr. or Mx. will suffice.

Will all posts under the original post be locked behind the paywall or is it only specific posts?
Only individual Posts will be Premiumified - this enables us to make more money from any following Posts whose users wish to upgrade them.

And if it is the latter, who decides which posts are and aren’t premium? Wouldn’t that make some posters feel inadequate?
This entire process is carried out by the creator of the Post.

What is your favorite kind of celery?
There are different kinds?!?

If this were put into effect and you were to make a profit, what would you do with the money?
I would do what I do with the rest of my ill-gotten Smogon money: fund my other ongoing projects (including the strengthening of several militant groups worldwide).

I also have a recommendation, in order to make it even more fair and great than it already is, I believe that admins and people who have a high reaction score shouldn’t have to pay, it will incentivize the lower class.. I mean newer people to make better posts.
An interesting idea. We will consider the pros (subjugation of Posters we dislike) and cons (less dosh) accordingly. Thank you.

What's to stop me, a hero, from getting money from my rich dad, elongated muskrat, buying every premium post, and copy and pasting it so no one has to pay. :smogthink:
I'll ban you.

I think there should be a creator feature so that only people with the creator bagde can make premium posts so that a dumbass doesn't just tell u to pay 20 dollars just to show you their 4 inch wiener.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
All I’m getting out of this is that we finally have a monetary value on how much likes are worth with the 83 likes to £15 benchmark set by TC

I’d say loves are worth even more than likes and angry reacts are worth less, but it’s hard to rate wows, hahas, and sads because of their potentially to be used non-genuinely. I’ll consult with the consul to see how we can better set the market to our advantage

This post is sponsored by Honey! Get it as a free Chrome extension today and save thousands of likes and money buying Smogoff posts with free discounts!

[The rest of this message must be unlocked with Posting Plus]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)