Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I get why people are wanting Cylcizar gone instead of shed tail, but shed tail on its own to me is uncompetitive for the same reasons as baton pass, sure orthworm cannot get a shed tail off as easily, but it is somewhat bulky and it has earth eater so bringing it in on a ground type clicking eq to get a shed tail off isn't a problem, and oftentimes all you need is one free substitute pivot to outright win a game with a setup sweeper like Great Tusk/Iron Valiant/Quaquaval etc; To me shed tail is a problem in the same vein as baton pass, as both make the game uncompetitive for similar reasons and that is why I hope that we get a shed tail suspect instead, because a cyclizar ban would not solve shed tail being an uncompetitive move at its very core.
it's not uncompetitive though, and definitely not for the same reasons baton pass was, bp was broken for its ability to pass stat boosts to pokemon that absolutely were not supposed to have those kinds of boosts (see: speed boost scolipede passing speed boosts to various sweepers that can't fit a speed boosting move) sub passing was always one of the least problematic elements of baton pass, calling it "uncompetitive" also just feels like a buzzword in this case, it's not adding more rng than usual to the game, its not inherently matchup fishy, and it still does in theory reward the better player. I'm personally neutral on shed tail, but if you're gonna argue for it to be banned, I encourage you to argue as to why it is broken in its own merits rather than argue that it's uncompetitive for its similarities to a far more problematic move than this one.

7. Favorite returning Pokemon from Gens 1-8 to use?
I was already going to write up some thoughts on this anyways, so good timing TPP.

:breloom: Breloom offers Spore and Mach Punch as great staples, the rest is up to the playstyle. Focus Punch packs a wallop, especially in concert with Poison Heal and Substitute. Technician sets can run Bullet Seed and Rock Tomb alongside Mach Punch to take full advantage of the damage boost. TBD on Tera Normal Facade on Poison Heal sets, but it can almost guarantee a 2HKO max defense Pex.:Dragonite: Enough ink has like been spilled about Dragonite, with Tera Normal ESpeed standing out as one of the best cleaning sets in the meta currently. But it’s so good, and can be insanely impactful late in games.

:Gyarados: Between Gyarados’s initial defensive typing and Intimidate, it can find a lot of opportunities to switch-in. While not at the level of dominance as other DDers like Roaring Moon, Gyara is a reasonably strong DDer with several potential Tera types to run. I’ve found that so far it has a pretty easy time getting into battle thanks to Intimidate and its Ground immunity.:Rotom-Wash: Rotom is as boring a glue as ever. I’ve been running Hydro / Volt Switch / WoW / Foul Play with max HP and max Speed investment, and it works pretty well as a pivot.

:Klefki: Important in metagames with high amounts of offense, not for its Spike-stacking, but for Prankster TWave. One of the best ways to cripple sweepers that you were not able to stop from setting-up. It also adds a strong Chien-Pao check on more offensive builds, and more generally adds some important resists and immunities.:Azumarill: BD Azu may have found a soulmate in Shed Tail Cyclizar. Granted every set-up sweeper loves Cyclizar, BD Azu really benefits from being passed a Substitute. The safer it can get the Belly Drum off, the better. It did lose Knock Off in the gen transition, but Aqua Jet and Play Rough cover a ton anyways. Haven’t experimented with Tera types on Azu too much, but there might be some interesting potential there.

it's not uncompetitive though, and definitely not for the same reasons baton pass was, bp was broken for its ability to pass stat boosts to pokemon that absolutely were not supposed to have those kinds of boosts (see: speed boost scolipede passing speed boosts to various sweepers that can't fit a speed boosting move) sub passing was always one of the least problematic elements of baton pass, calling it "uncompetitive" also just feels like a buzzword in this case, it's not adding more rng than usual to the game, its not inherently matchup fishy, and it still does in theory reward the better player. I'm personally neutral on shed tail, but if you're gonna argue for it to be banned, I encourage you to argue as to why it is broken in its own merits rather than argue that it's uncompetitive for its similarities to a far more problematic move than this one.
Cyclizar can pass speed boosts...

Oh it doesn't?

Not that it matters, it's still broken, passing 50 hp subs to allow one of the many set up sweepers a free boost is often gg already.

Oh it doesn't?

Not that it matters, it's still broken, passing 50 hp subs to allow one of the many set up sweepers a free boost is often gg already.
they are 25% subs, it just takes an additional 25% as a cost for switching out, I swear half the people calling for shed tail to be banned don't even know what it does properly (thats not a jab against you, just something I've noted)

they are 25% subs, it just takes an additional 25% as a cost for switching out, I swear half the people calling for shed tail to be banned don't even know what it does properly (thats not a jab against you, just something I've noted)
It's worth 50 to who you pass it to though because they don't lose hp for getting the sub.

If anyone was wondering, dragonite currently has the highest winrate in the entire tier with 53.66% for mons over 2% useage. Azumarill is the next highest at 53.03 but it has a much lower use rate. Cycllizar has a 47.23% win rate. Gholdengo has the highest useage in the tier with 39.92% use rate and 51.94% win rate. It's an external site and I'm using weekly data, so palafin was in there for like a day or two but even when sorted by daily the stats are about the same.

If anyone was wondering, dragonite currently has the highest winrate in the entire tier with 53.66% for mons over 2% useage. Azumarill is the next highest at 53.03 but it has a much lower use rate. Cycllizar has a 47.23% win rate. Gholdengo has the highest useage in the tier with 39.92% use rate and 51.94% win rate. It's an external site and I'm using weekly data, so palafin was in there for like a day or two but even when sorted by daily the stats are about the same.
link the stats king

It's worth 50 to who you pass it to though because they don't lose hp for getting the sub.
thats not how math works, using substitute manualy effectivly gives you 75% hp with 25% sub health, when passed the sub, you have 100% hp + 25% sub health (ignoring the part where its 25% of cyclizars health not the mons) you're comparing 75% to 125% and saying its a 50 health difference when it should really be 100% vs 125% or 75% vs 100%, in no way is this worth 50.

Edit: do we know what the usage cutoff is this generation? is it still 4.52%? is it even higher? is it back to what it was pre gen 8?

Last edited:
Defensive core duos feel incredibly strong right now. Something like ting + corvi. I think partly this has to do with tera allowing them to function as practically two different mons as needed allowing the core to blanket check so much more than it usually would. Almost let’s you play balance without actually going full balance.

which defensive duo is most potent right now in your opinion? I really like the ting + corvi duo mentioned above, but I haven’t explored a ton beyond that.

Speaking of balance, what playstyles are you guys enjoying this gen?

Personally I’m a big fan of bulky offense atm since I really like the power I have to be able to push out threats and the bulk to survive powerful attacks.

Mothrapillar (Slither Wing) @ Rocky Helmet/Assault Vest
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Whirlwind/Earthquake
- First Impression
- Close Combat
- U-turn

I've been running this in my sun team, and I've got to say it's a pretty nice addition to support my Sandy Shocks, Torkoal, and Chi-Yu! The purpose of it is to hit things hard with First Impression and Close Combat, as well as have very powerful U-Turns to help get teammates in and garner momentum. It also helps handle mons like Chien-Pao and opposing Chi-Yu that threaten the team. The last move is generally up for grabs imo; I was originally running Earthquake with it, but I decided to change it to Whirlwind to punish Cyclizar and setup mons it switches to via Shed Tail since I found myself not really using EQ too much since my teammates were more than able to handle mons like Tusk and Gholdengo. Proper use of it lets it stick around for a disturbingly long time; It's 85/79/105 and defensive profile is quite nice with what's common right now, being able to resist Ground, Bug, Fighting, and especially Dark. The item's experimental, but I've been having more success with Rocky Helmet to punish contact moves and potential brave birds, which is very nice when paired with its bug resist, letting it chip mons that U-Turn away from it.

Any thoughts on the Volcarona-pillar? I've been doing well with it paired with Sandy Shocks, Corviknight, Torkoal, Gholdengo, and Chi-Yu.

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Speaking of balance, what playstyles are you guys enjoying this gen?

Personally I’m a big fan of bulky offense atm since I really like the power I have to be able to push out threats and the bulk to survive powerful attacks.
In this generation, I think Hyper Offense, Bulky Offense, and Balanced are king. Personally I'm more of an HO guy 90% but this generation I have been more fond of Balanced because of all the hard hitters and unpredictability of tera.

I want to highlight an interesting set me and BeeOrSomething came up with:

Quaquaval @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Wave Crash
- Aqua Step
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin

the goal of this set is fairly simple: to be a spinner that beats gholdengo 1v1, no catching it on the switchin necessary, 96 attack evs and an adamant nature nearly garuntees that aqua step is a 2hko on ghold after 1 layer of spikes + stealth rock, meanwhile the bulk investment and the assault vest means that ghold is almost never 3hkoing after quaq takes stealth rock and spikes itself, moreover, vs air baloon varients you outspeed after a single aqua step and can safely ko with wave crash, torrent is used on this set as moxie is unreliable and is easily stopped in the event it does get a boost. whereas torrent gives a consistant benefit that is useful in any given match
of course if it's only niche was beating gholdengo it wouldn't be very good, but it also has numerous good matchups vs common metagame threats by way of its great defensive typing, this lets it be a stop gap to chi-yu, chien pao, specs dragapult, and tyranitar.
I think this mon has a ton of potential, so let me ask you: what do you think of quaquaval? do you think assault vest on this pokemon has potential? are there any common pokemon that you've found interesting sets for?

Last edited:
:chi-yu:

Chi-Yu @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Specs / Choice Scarf
Ability: Beads of Ruin
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot / Flame Charge / Psychic / Taunt

this thing, evil creature, this demonic little guppy, very-icky-no-good-fishe
While I am writing this post, the ability Beads of Ruin does not work on the damage calculator. I compensated for this by simply changing the Pokemon's special defense stat to 75% of what it normally was (For Example, Clodsire would be calc'd with base 75 special defense instead of base 100)

I think chi-yu is a particularly strong force in the meta right now and it, in my opinion, deserves a suspect.

Chi-Yu is splashable onto HO, balance, and fat teams that rule the meta so far. Fire and Dark are incredibly hard to stop defensively. Its base 135 special in conjunction with Beads of Ruin, an ability that lowers the opponent's Special Defense, makes this pokemon unwallable.

The only moves necessary on Chi-Yu are Overheat, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. The fourth slot can be anything, really. Flame charge is a niche on Sun teams that allows Chi-Yu to clean up with sun boosted Flamethrower. Not the most consistent, but funny when you pull it off. Taunt and Nasty plot are the best, naturally, as Taunt shuts down recovery for its bulky switchins and Nasty Plot takes its power to the next level. Psychic is just there if you really want to ruin Toxapex's day, but Toxapex isn't that great anymore due to the move nerfs it recieved (honest to god pex has no moves anymore im about to run god-forsaken body slam pex for para hax)

As for checks to the glowing guppy, there aren't many.

The only true "counter" is Blissey, but she can still take a beating from the fish.
(252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 378-445 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

Clodsire and Toxapex can attempt to take it on with sheer bulk. However, Clodsire is needed to check the entire tier as of now, and it only has 8 recovers per game to do so. Clodsire gets claimed by 2 Flamethrowers at +2 (+2 252 SpA Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 378-445 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

Toxapex is almost guaranteed to go down to 2 Dark Pulses, (+2 252 SpA Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO)

Dondozo can take a specs Dark Pulse and Rest off the damage. However, It cannot do anything back to Chi-Yu unless it uses the semi-unreliable Sleep Talk. (which, for me, always uses rest.) (252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 180-213 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO).

Tyrannitar is the single best Chi-Yu switchin outside of Blissey. Unfortunately, Ttar is unviable in this metagame. In a meta with Meowscarada, Great Tusk, Iron Valiant, Dondozo, Annihilape, omnipresent Tera Fighting and Water, and so on, almost everything in the tier either has supereffective STAB or supereffective coverage vs. Tyrannitar. Its poor typing finally caught up with it. It's a bit sad, really. TTar's reign since gen 2 was powerful and awe inspiring, and now it's gone. Nothing is forever. we are simply taking a temporary break from a quiet nothingness and spending our blip in the tiny cosmic timeline playing with made-up monsters on our computer. Like Tyrannitar, our reign over nonexistence will soon end.

anyways these are the most reliable Chi-Yu switchins

Dragonite can Dragon Dance in its face if it isn't Choiced, Nasty Plot, or is locked into a Fire move. These aren't uncommon scenarios, but outside of them a mighty dragon will fold to a goldfish.

Ting-Lu can stomach some hits, but Specs Flamethrower and Specs Overheat will eventually wear it down (252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ting-Lu: 262-310 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

in conclusion, please take a look at this fish. I think it needs a ban.

Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

While I am writing this post, the ability Beads of Ruin does not work on the damage calculator. I compensated for this by simply changing the Pokemon's special defense stat to 75% of what it normally was (For Example, Clodsire would be calc'd with base 75 special defense instead of base 100)

I think chi-yu is a particularly strong force in the meta right now and it, in my opinion, deserves a suspect.

Chi-Yu is splashable onto HO, balance, and fat teams that rule the meta so far. Fire and Dark are incredibly hard to stop defensively. Its base 135 special in conjunction with Beads of Ruin, an ability that lowers the opponent's Special Defense, makes this pokemon unwallable.

The only moves necessary on Chi-Yu are Overheat, Flamethrower, and Dark Pulse. The fourth slot can be anything, really. Flame charge is a niche on Sun teams that allows Chi-Yu to clean up with sun boosted Flamethrower. Not the most consistent, but funny when you pull it off. Taunt and Nasty plot are the best, naturally, as Taunt shuts down recovery for its bulky switchins and Nasty Plot takes its power to the next level. Psychic is just there if you really want to ruin Toxapex's day, but Toxapex isn't that great anymore due to the move nerfs it recieved (honest to god pex has no moves anymore im about to run god-forsaken body slam pex for para hax)

The only true "counter" is Blissey, but she can still take a beating from the fish.
(252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 378-445 (52.9 - 62.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

Clodsire and Toxapex can attempt to take it on with sheer bulk. However, Clodsire is needed to check the entire tier as of now, and it only has 8 recovers per game to do so. Clodsire gets claimed by 2 Flamethrowers at +2 (+2 252 SpA Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Clodsire: 378-445 (81.4 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

Toxapex is almost guaranteed to go down to 2 Dark Pulses, (+2 252 SpA Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 151-178 (49.8 - 58.7%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO)

Dondozo can take a specs Dark Pulse and Rest off the damage. However, It cannot do anything back to Chi-Yu unless it uses the semi-unreliable Sleep Talk. (which, for me, always uses rest.) (252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Dondozo: 180-213 (35.7 - 42.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO).

Tyrannitar is the single best Chi-Yu switchin outside of Blissey. Unfortunately, Ttar is unviable in this metagame. In a meta with Meowscarada, Great Tusk, Iron Valiant, Dondozo, Annihilape, omnipresent Tera Fighting and Water, and so on, almost everything in the tier either has supereffective STAB or supereffective coverage vs. Tyrannitar. Its poor typing finally caught up with it. It's a bit sad, really. TTar's reign since gen 2 was powerful and awe inspiring, and now it's gone. Nothing is forever. we are simply taking a temporary break from a quiet nothingness and spending our blip in the tiny cosmic timeline playing with made-up monsters on our computer. Like Tyrannitar, our reign over nonexistence will soon end.

Dragonite can Dragon Dance in its face if it isn't Choiced, Nasty Plot, or is locked into a Fire move. These aren't uncommon scenarios, but outside of them a mighty dragon will fold to a goldfish.

Ting-Lu can stomach some hits, but Specs Flamethrower and Specs Overheat will eventually wear it down (252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ting-Lu: 262-310 (50.9 - 60.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO).

Trying to be more involved in competitive this gen, and even though I'm only at around 1200 on ladder atm and learning the meta still, I'll give my two cents.

I absolutely agree that this thing needs a suspect test. Choiced variants are extremely powerful to the point where even resists struggle to switch into it safely. Overheat in particular becomes an absolute nuclear bomb of a move when sun is up, and the rest of its fire moves (flamethrower and fire blast) aren't that far behind. Scarf wrecks offense, while specs wrecks stall. Someone on here posted that AV Azumarill started showing up specifically for it, and I think that's a clear sign that the bead goldfish needs addressed.

BlackKnight_Gawain

PUPL Champion
I knew I was onto something with Dragonite being absolutely going nuts on the tier since Bundle got the boot. You can see the Tera Normal on it coming from a mile away but it's quite easy to get up a +1 DD and sweep with ESpeed if you come in on anything slightly passive. I'm not going to say I'm a top tier teambuilder by any means, but I do think I make some good teams and right now I find Dragonite and Chi-Yu to be the main offensive threats I have to think about when making a team.

Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

I don't what you're doing to calc these but they're all wrong. It changes that actual stat not the base stat but these are still way off consdering that. For example, 252 SpA Choice Specs Chi-Yu Overheat vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Blissey in Sun: 504-594 (70.5 - 83.1%) is the actual calc

Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse

Actually, this is the wrong way to calculate this. You shouldn't nerf its base Special Defense, but its final special defense after IVs, EVs and Nature. This sounds like it wouldn't matter, and the outcome would be the same at first, but there is a difference that actually helps your argument even more.

Let's take Toxapex.
If we use your method and take its 142 Special Defense and multiply it by 0.75 you get 106.5 Special Defense which rounds to either 106 or 107.
but if we use the actual way it calculates and multiply its final special defense of 321 by 0.75 you get 240 Special Defense total, which is the equivalent of 102 Special Defense. This means your calcs are wrong and Chi-Yu actually does MORE damage than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)