Other Metagames [Pet Mod - VaporeMons] "Wreck" - Revavroom Misty Terrain Offense (Peaked at #3 on Ladder)

Before we get started, be sure to check out the VaporeMons thread, the Discord, and the resources linked in its first post if you're unfamiliar with the metagame. I'll explain new stuff as I go along, but there you'll find everything you'll need to acquaint yourself with the metagame. VaporeMons is playable on DragonHeaven (with teambuilder support) as well as on the main Pokemon Showdown server until the end of February as Winter's Pet Mod of the Season.

-------------------

:sm/revavroom::sm/iron valiant::sm/magnezone::sm/landorus-therian::sm/manaphy::sm/cinderace:
(click sprites for paste)
Welcome to this RMT for VaporeMons! If you don't know what VaporeMons is, then be sure to click the link at the top of this post to see all that it has to offer. In short, VaporeMons is a Gen 9 OU-based Pet Mod where new and changed moves, items, and abilities are added to the game, as well as non-stat Adjustments to Pokemon, in order to create a new spin on the metagame. There are also multiple other differences from OU, being that Terastalization is banned, Light Clay is banned, and multiple Ubers are unbanned for differing reasons (being Regieleki, Volcarona, Espathra, Palafin, Landorus-Incarnate, Magearna, Ogerpon-Hearthflame, Roaring Moon, and Sneasler). As of this post, DLC2 isn't out on the main Pokemon Showdown server yet but note that the unbanned Gliscor and Darkrai are currently still banned in VaporeMons.

To celebrate VaporeMons being on main for the next 3 months, I'm sharing one of the most fun teams I've built in any competitive format, not even just VaporeMons, being this Misty Terrain Offense team featuring Revavroom!

THE TEAM
:sm/revavroom:
Revavroom @ Ruchbah Star Shard
Ability: Misty Surge
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Magical Torque
- Blazing Torque
- Rollout
- High Horsepower
I will list all the changes that each Pokémon on the team received in VaporeMons, as well as the effects of any custom items they may be holding. Important changes will be listed first and bolded.
New Moves: Magical Torque, Wicked Torque, Blazing Torque, Combat Torque, Noxious Torque, High Horsepower* (gained before it got in in DLC1), Skull Bash, Shrapnel Shot, Rollout

Rollout
- Now 50 BP Rock-type U-Turn clone. Deals double damage if the user's side's last used move was either Rollout or Defense Curl
Shrapnel Shot - 15 BP Physical Steel-type move, Hits 2-5 times, first hit lowers the foe's Defense by 1 stage
Skull Bash - Now a Physical Steel-type clone of (vanilla) Meteor Beam that boosts the user's Attack instead of SpA
Lash Out - Now 70 BP and 10 PP, doubles in power if the user has any negative stat boosts, non-volatile status conditions, or negative volatile status conditions

New Item: Star Shards - When a Star Shard is held, Revavroom's type and ability changes to match the corresponding Starmobile from SV's story. Additionally, Revavroom's Steel and Poison moves, as well as moves of the Star Shard's type have 1.2x power.
Segin Star Shard - Dark-type - Ability: Intimidate
Schedar Star Shard - Fire-type - Ability: Speed Boost
Navi Star Shard - Poison-type - Ability: Toxic Debris
Ruchbah Star Shard - Fairy-type - Ability: Misty Surge
Caph Star Shard - Fighting-type - Ability: Stamina

New Ability: Overcoat - Same effects as standard + the user is immune to hazards.
New Ability: Momentum - This Pokemon heals 12.5% of its max HP after getting hit by or using a spinning move.
Revavroom received a number of huge changes in VaporeMons, notably getting all of the Starmobile's Torque moves as great coverage options, and the Star Shard items that let it act like a mini version of the Starmobiles. In spite of these huge buffs, Revavroom remains unviable for the most part, especially since Light Clay's ban makes Shift Gear sets difficult to use. However, there's one thing that it can do that nothing else can do better: support Iron Valiant with Misty Terrain. In VaporeMons, 6 new abilities Quark Drive/Protosynthesis clones were created, each corresponding to each of the other weathers and terrains. Iron Valiant received Rune Drive, which is activated in Misty Terrain, which Revavroom-Ruchbah can set easily with Misty Surge. While this core was experimented with lightly earlier on into VaporeMons' lifespan, it was never particularly powerful. The Teal Mask DLC came with the return of Weezing-Galar, who also has Misty Surge and got numerous big buffs as well, so I experimented with it + Iron Valiant when the VaporeMons ladder opened up at the start of the month. However, I found it extremely underwhelming as it was very passive and difficult to set up Misty Terrain and get Iron Valiant in safely. I ended up looking to Revavroom-Ruchbah to fill this role as while it's a mostly worse Pokemon overall, Revavroom's access to pivoting moves in Parting Shot and Rollout makes it easier to get Iron Valiant in safely. Plus, its superior offensive presence to Weezing means that checks to it can't come in as easily, even when it's not clicking Rollout. This worked absolute wonders, as Revavroom's pivoting gives Iron Valiant way more opportunities to cleave through the foe's team and just generally lets me keep up momentum way more easily. In terms of what Revavroom can do by itself, it's not a bad attacker in its own right, hitting fairly hard with STAB Magical Torque (which hits 180 BP after STAB and the boost from the Star Shard) and chunking Fairy checks like Slowking-Galar, Iron Moth, and Corviknight with High Horsepower and Blazing Torque, which Iron Valiant greatly appreciates. All in all, Revavroom is a decent offensive pivot that forms a dangerous offensive core with one of THE best Pokemon in the tier.

:sm/iron valiant:
Iron Valiant @ Life Orb
Ability: Rune Drive
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt
- Close Combat
- Shadow Ball
New Moves: Chisel, Parry

Chisel - 45 BP Physical Rock-type move, gives the target a Substitute, then hits 4 times
Parry - 80 BP Physical Fighting-type move, prevents the foe from using priority moves on the turn the moves is used (a la Armor Tail)
Brick Break - Now 85 BP

New Ability: Rune Drive - Misty Terrain active or Booster Energy used: highest stat is 1.3x, or 1.5x if Speed.
New Ability: Outclass - If this Pokémon has one type, it steals the primary typing off a Pokémon it hits with an attack (Note that since Iron Valiant has two types by default, it must use the Tera Shard item to get this ability to activate. The Tera Shard changes the user's typing to its Tera Type on switch-in)
Iron Valiant is the star of the team, being its main wallbreaker and cleaner. Iron Valiant largely does the same things in both OU and VaporeMons, with Specs, Mixed Booster Energy, and Swords Dance Booster Energy sets, but now it has much better terrain setters to activate its Drive ability with. Thus, Iron Valiant can have the power of Life Orb and the Speed of Speed Booster Energy at the same time when in Revavroom's Misty Terrain, which makes it both super hard to switch into and super hard to revenge kill. Moonblast and Close Combat are powerful STAB options that threaten most of the best Pokemon in the tier, Thunderbolt hits Milotic (who's Water/Fairy and one of the best Pokemon in the tier) and Corviknight, and Shadow Ball can KO a weakened Gholdengo or Slowking-Galar.

:sm/magnezone:
Magnezone @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Echo Chamber
- Rebuild
- Rapid Spin
New Moves: Rapid Spin, Shrapnel Shot, Rebuild, Echo Chamber, Signal Beam, Software Crash (Lost Electroweb)

Rebuild - Steel-type Status move, Restores HP equal to the user's level * 1.25
Echo Chamber - 90 BP Special Steel-type move, deals 1.5x more damage if the user's side used a sound move last turn (including itself)
Software Crash - 100 BP, 95% Accuracy Special Bug-type move, deals either Bug or Electric-type damage, depending on which is more effective
Shrapnel Shot - 15 BP Physical Steel-type move, Hits 2-5 times, first hit lowers the foe's Defense by 1 stage
Signal Beam - Now suppresses the foe's ability after hitting

Now has Levitate as its secondary ability instead of Sturdy
Magnezone is the first of two defensive pivots on the team, serving as a spinner and special wall. With Levitate, Magnezone's defensive typing really shines in this meta, letting it very easily check the likes of Landorus-T, Ting-Lu, and Shaymin, who could all otherwise threaten it with Ground moves. This makes it very easy for Magnezone to come in and either remove hazards with Rapid Spin, heal with Rebuild, or pivot back out with Volt Switch, a move that also chips otherwise annoying Water and Flying-types like Milotic and Corviknight. Echo Chamber also gives Magnezone some nice offensive presence as well, being a 135 BP move before STAB every other turn that's super annoying for offensive mons to try to come into. All these qualities make Magnezone one of the most consistent hazard control options in the tier, which is exactly what it needs to do on this team. Leftovers keeps Magnezone healthy as Rebuild doesn't quite heal 50% of Magnezone's HP, so the extra bit of healing is much appreciated.

:sm/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- U-turn
New Moves: Storm Throw, Spikes, Defog, Meteor Beam, Acrobatics, Skull Bash, Desert Storm, Natural Gift

Defog
- Now also a Wind move (and generally way more distributed)
Meteor Beam - Now also charges instantly in Sand
Natural Gift - Now doesn't consume the berry
Smack Down - Now 65 BP and prevents the foe from using pivoting moves for the rest of the turn
Storm Throw - Now 70 BP
Skull Bash - Now a Physical Steel-type clone of (vanilla) Meteor Beam that boosts the user's Attack instead of SpA
Desert Storm - 90 BP Physical Ground-type Future Sight clone, sets Sandstorm before hitting (currently bugged on the main server, where the Sand isn't set)
Brick Break - 85 BP

Landorus-Incarnate gained Cloud Nine in place of Sheer Force and is legal in OU
The other part of the team's defensive core, it's the always reliable Landorus. Landorus actually received a fair number of buffs that have restored it to some of its former glory, further helped by Gliscor being banned in VaporeMons. This mixed defensive set acts as a second defensive pivot and hazard setter to help further the chip opponent's team down for Iron Valiant and the other sweepers. The EV spread is able to avoid a 2HKO from Ogerpon-Heartflame's Power Whip after Intimidate with Stealth Rock up, with most of the rest dumped into SpD to help take on Iron Moth, which this team really struggles with. Stealth Rock was chosen over Lando's newfound toy in Spikes as Landorus usually doesn't want to stay on the field for too long, so it's better to set Rocks and pivot into one of the offensive threats ASAP, as well as the fact that the team lacks a way to prevent hazard removal aside from offensive pressure, so taking time to set up Spikes that instantly get removed feels like a waste. Earthquake deals solid damage as STAB move and beats threatening Poison-types like Iron Moth, Smack Down allows Landorus to threaten Corviknight and Levitate Magnezone with an Earthquake next turn while preventing slow walls from pivoting on Lando, and U-Turn helps me keep up momentum. Leftovers are chosen over Rocky Helmet since Lando needs to come in fairly often to keep powerful physical threats in check all game, so the extra healing is needed.

:sm/manaphy:
Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Healer
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Surf
- Dazzling Gleam
- Energy Ball
New Moves: Life Dew, Wash Away, Signal Beam

Life Dew - Heals 33% of the user's max HP. Heals the next Pokemon that switches in by 25% of their max HP
Wash Away - 80 BP Special Water move, clears hazards and terrain from both sides of the field, then switches the foe out. -6 priority
Signal Beam - Now suppresses the foe's ability after hitting

New Ability: Healer - On faint, the next Pokémon sent out heals 33% of its max HP.
Manaphy acts as one of two potential setup sweepers on the team, while also acting as a decent check to Ground-types like Great Tusk and Water-types like Milotic and Alomomola. While Manaphy received a couple new wrinkles in VaporeMons, like recovery in Life Dew that could potentially be used alongside Take Heart as a stallbreaker, this set uses Manaphy in much of the same way you'd use it in OU. Tail Glow turns Manaphy into a deadly sweeper and midgame breaker, with most Pokemon folding to a +3 Surf or coverage. It's quite hard for Manaphy to sweep in VaporeMons, since there are many crazy offensive threats in the tier can easily revenge kill Manaphy, even from full, but sweeping is far from impossible. Plus, even if Manaphy only gets 1 or 2 kills, it really opens up the battle for the rest of the team. Energy Ball and Dazzling Gleam are the coverage moves of choice, hitting Water and Dragon-types that can tank a hit from a +3 Surf. I've gotten great value out of Dazzling Gleam but truthfully Ice Beam is likely the superior option there. Healer is used over Hydration, mainly because I'm not using Rain, but also because Healer's effect can really come in clutch in pinch, like giving Landorus more HP to make up for its lack of recovery, or giving Iron Valiant more chances to attack in spite of Life Orb recoil.

:sm/cinderace:
Cinderace @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Blaze
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Pyro Ball
- Sucker Punch
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance
New Moves: Peekaboo, Brick Break

Peekaboo - 140 BP Physical Fairy-type, charges at the beginning of the turn, hits at the end of the turn. Deals 0.5x damage if the user is hit before the move hits
Brick Break - Now 85 BP
Smack Down - Now 65 BP and prevents the foe from using pivoting moves for the rest of the turn

New Ability: Blaze - 1.2x Power on Fire attacks. At 1/3 or less of its max HP, all of this Pokémon's moves deal 1.5x damage.
Cinderace acts as a second setup sweeper and wallbreaker, as well as measure of Speed control, which is important since Iron Valiant won't always be in Misty Terrain. With the buffed Blaze making Pyro Ball a terrifying 144 BP at all times (and only getting stronger if you get chipped down), Cinderace a very powerful fast attacker in the tier, with Pyro Ball melting many neutral targets that try to come in. Blaze being used over Libero also means that Cinderace is able to more easily use Swords Dance, which allows Cinderace to deal genuinely insane damage, like OHKOing offensive Great Tusk at +2. Sucker Punch allows Cinderace to avoid getting revenge killed by Dragapult, while also dealing a ton of damage to faster threats like Jolteon and Booster Energy Iron Moth at +2. Gunk Shot hits the Water/Fairy Milotic, as well as OHKOing Ogerpon-Wellspring and Hearthflame, which Pyro Ball can't without prior chip, as well as potentially poisoning switch-ins like Fighting/Water Fur Coat Crabominable. Heavy-Duty Boots keeps Cinderace safe from hazards, making it easier to get in multiple times a game to impose its will.

WEAKNESSES
:sm/pelipper:

I've had the fortune of not running into Rain yet, but you could imagine how terrifying it would be if I did considering the fact that my only Water resist is Manaphy. Basculegion in particular is extremely terrifying, getting the Flip Turn on everything until it's eventually able to click Wave Crash 6 times. Iron Valiant luckily does outspeed Adamant Basculegion in Rain if Misty Terrain is up, but it's a bit tough to set up that situation without having to sack Revavroom, plus Rain teams often run Amoonguss which Valiant can't break through.

:sm/alomomola:
A very annoying defensive pivot to deal with simply because it's very hard to switch into. Switching into Flip Turn gives the opponent free momentum, while switching into Wash Away makes you switch out into a less favorable matchup, while also clearing my Misty Terrain if it's up. Plus, it's able to switch into both Landorus and Cinderace forever. Alomomola can never beat you offensively and Iron Valiant Thunderbolt can OHKO with some chip, but it can really effectively sap all of your momentum, which sucks for such an offensive team.

:sm/iron moth:
This mon is the very reason why I had to change Landorus to a more Specially Defensive spread, it's extremely annoying to deal with when I'm using two Fairy-types and a somewhat passive Steel-type. Booster Energy Iron Moth is able to outspeed and heavily damage everything on the team except for Landorus, who needs to be in pristine condition to take on repeated Fiery Dances. Additionally, Iron Moth is often seen on Grassy Terrain teams as its new Paradox ability, Photon Drive, activates in Grassy Terrain, replacing my Misty Terrain and putting me in an awkward position since Revavroom can't safely come in to reset terrain. After switching to SpD Lando, Iron Moth is a bit easier to deal with, as I just need to keep Lando and/or Manaphy extremely healthy, or I can soft check it with Cinderace who can eat an unboosted Sludge Wave and KO back with Pyro Ball into Sucker Punch.

:sm/delphox:
Another threatening Special Fire-type, Delphox is now a Fire/Fairy-type with multiple notable movepool buffs and the same buffed Blaze as Cinderace. Fire/Fairy coverage severely damaged my entire team, while Fire/Fairy is also one of the few type combos that resists Fairy and Fighting without being weak to Electric or Ghost. Luckily, Cinderace can revenge kill it as long as it hits a Gunk Shot, but if Cinderace is dead and it gets a Nasty Plot up, the game is probably over.

REPLAYS
(some replays may feature slightly different sets)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009433844
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009697108
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009635495
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009376618
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009061908
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2009045621
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9vaporemons-2012390570 (being used by zxgzxg)

SHOUTOUTS
Thank you to everyone in the Pet Mods community for giving me a real home on Smogon for over half a decade now, something like Pet Mods of the Season wouldn't be possible with out you guys.

Thank you to the fellow council members of VaporeMons, including Beaf Cultist, G-Luke, Paulluxx, and zxgzxg for helping me build VaporeMons into the fun tier it is today. I haven't really played singles in this generation (mostly playing VGC) but playing VaporeMons makes singles extremely fun.

Thank you to everyone who's played VaporeMons on ladder so far, it's been the most fun I've had laddering in literal years and I hope that more and more people continue laddering.

And lastly, thank you for reading this RMT!​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)