Metagame SV UU Metagame Discussion - The Indigo Disk

:sv/Slither Wing: @ Protective Pads / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting / Bug
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 172 Spe (you can run other things)
Adamant Nature
- First Impression
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Stun Spore / Morning Sun / Will-o-wisp / Poison Powder (for zapdos ofc or to catch some random def crap like alomomola, hippo, torn-t and to bad it doesnt work on grass types lol)

!!! This is a pokemon I think has an ok niche in the meta. since 1) it answers garchomp a fair bit better than lokix thanks to

1) being more resistant to stealth rocks

2) having a stronger first impression

252+ Atk Slither Wing First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 174-205 (48.7 - 57.4%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Silver Powder Lokix First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 171-202 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 88.3% chance to 2HKO

3) Being bulkier as well and being able to switch in a pinch as its much bulkier than lokix.

252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Lokix: 204-244 (72 - 86.2%) -- approx. 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Scale Shot (4 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Slither Wing: 204-240 (65.5 - 77.1%) -- approx. 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Slither Wing: 219-258 (70.4 - 82.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Lokix: 367-433 (129.6 - 153%) -- guaranteed OHKO (very dead)

4) Having more support options allows you to utilize them, morning sun allows you to check things like switching into gren dark pulse and force it out while being able to first impressions its balls away or being able to stun spore on smth like iron moth trying to be cheeky, a setup sweeper trying to setup like kommo-o, CM keldeo, moltres-g, etc.

I believe slither wing has viability in this meta because of the fact that it can check pokemon much better than lokix does, and esp with wish support and zapods counterplay i bet it can work

Last edited:
IMG_2838.jpeg

This image makes me sad.

Seeing all the former UU staples just drop like that.

Slowking, Swampert, Thundy, Mence, Suicune, Infernape, Hydreigon.

Okidogo and Gengar went from UU staples in this gen to being shells of their former self. Manaphy went from being borderline broken in OU DLC1 to not even cutting it in UU.

Anyways,

Iron Crown looks sick and Pex dropping is insane.

Lily

it's in my blood
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
Alomomola moved from UU to OU
Iron Treads moved from UU to OU
Barraskewda moved from RU to OU

Iron Crown moved from OU to UU
Pecharunt moved from OU to UU
Toxapex moved from OU to UU

New shifts! The losses kinda stink, Iron Treads especially, but we got some fun new toys. What do you guys think?

• Iron Treads : Already said it but losing Iron Treads is a massive blow for the tier. We don't have that much good Rapid Spin users / Defogger and losing the best of them is super tough. It was an easy pick for many, many, MANY teams. It was also a staple for a lot of archetypes (such as HOs thanks to its Lead set or Balance/BO thanks to Rapid Spin (+ Stealth Rock). Losing Treads sucks ass ngl. It was our most used Pokémon for the last 5 months.

• Alomomola : It's also a shitty rise for sure. Alomomola has cemented itself in the tier (#7 most used Pokémon last month) thanks to its massive Wishes and access to both Flip Turn + Regenerator. It was an insanely good pivot for the tier and it's a huge blow for Wish Balance archetypes. As a fellow Mola enjoyer, this one sucks ass even more than Treads personally.

• Barraskewda : Meh, idc

Alomomola moved from UU to OU
Iron Treads moved from UU to OU
Barraskewda moved from RU to OU

Iron Crown moved from OU to UU
Pecharunt moved from OU to UU
Toxapex moved from OU to UU

New shifts! The losses kinda stink, Iron Treads especially, but we got some fun new toys. What do you guys think?
Pecharunt is gonna be super good in this tier is my prediction. Treads leaving at the same time it drops is solid for it too.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

Toxapex and Iron Crown should be great fun tbh, looking forward to trying them out. Toxapex should potentially make the fatter stuff look a bit less unusual too which will be interesting. Losing Alo and Treads could definitely be disapponting for some but honestly don't mind it a huge amount myself as didn't find Treads very splashable to begin with and a bit overrated and Alo had definite downsides with unreliability of getting passes onto what you actually wanted unless teams couldn't punish it, but should be interesting nonetheless to see how removal functions now without Treads lol, still got some options but #1 spinner gone.

Is there any real dispute that TankChomp is the biggest winner of the tier shifts? Without Iron Treads threatening it with Ice Spinner, what other spinners have good matchups into it? Obviously Mandibuzz does well into it - but Mandi is an anchor momentum wise, inviting in some of the tier's most difficult to deal with wallbreakers (Ogre-C/Terrak/Keldeo) in at little to no cost.

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
i mostly play uu ambiently, but as an ou main, pecharunt is probably going to be dominant without gholdengo, tusk, and gambit to disrupt its gameplan. gambit especially since it stonewalls it. otherwise it's a mon with good defensive utility and a great profile for a defensive pivot to slightly fill the void of alomomola, while offering a bulky win condition.

sorry yall didnt get drill. return of average tusk though, perhaps? eq neutrality is nice on paper for tankchomp

edit: to be clear im not saying it will fill the void of treads, just that i do see some potential room for it without the competition

THings im getting out of these shifts

1) Spikes shocks is gonna be much better and spikes in general, without such a good spinner to contend with you can prob get away with it

2) Defog Decid may see some use as a way to beat some rockers like garchomp and garganacl

3) Hippo stocks up

4) Ursaluna 100% dropping, without alo it def cant keep its hp up and safely pivot in, RU incomming

5) Gonna spam hydreigon because clearly some fools forget to load in fairy resists often

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Shift Time Yay

Rises to OU

:iron treads:: Welp, there goes that, was cool while it lasted but idk if it was as good of a mon as people said it was. Either way our only real removal is mandibuzz now so... uh yeah get ready for spikestack stuff unless youre running some fat stuff with mandi.

:Alomomola:: There goes the resident blob that made stuff annoying to answer, like idk if losing this is really that much of a negative overall (then again i used it a lot so losing it is irritating)

:Barraskewda:: who are you

Drops to UU

:Iron crown:: This is probably an HO and nothing else really, could realistically see this being busted but i havent seen much of it yet so ill have to wait and see.

:Pecharunt:: I dont see this thing lasting in UU, either because itll be stupid and get banned, or suck and drop to RU (and maybe get banned there). Idk, again this is a weird one to gage.

:Toxapex:: This ones pretty cool, kinda takes mola's place but instead of wish pivoting it has toxic and haze. Will be nice for fat but doesnt make things annoying like mola, so thats cool.

Some actual thoughts instead of one line Donphan Slander.

:Garchomp: Probably the biggest beneficiary of the rises. No longer Bloon Treads will switch in to threaten Ice Spinner into Rapid Spin. It also opens the slot for HO hazard lead. I think Chomp has serious S rank Mon potential with these shifts. Pex unlike Mola dies to +2 EQ.

:Greninja: and i think thats the biggest loser. Without Treads it will be very hard for Offense to get rid of Hazards and the most popular Gren set is notoriously weak to those. It also had a pretty good match up into Treads so thats another thing lost. Pex dropping does it no favor.

:iron_crown: I really wish this mon had utility, Cobalion has Taunt and Rocks and Crown would be a pretty cool Latios check since its pretty fat. Unfortunately its mostly a double dance mon. Probably not ban worthy since its for the most part just a worse Latias, no access to recovery, worse ability, worse special bulk but better physical one. If i had to guess i would put him A- or A from first impression.

:toxapex: Cool. One defensive water taken, one given. Haze is very cool being, checks Greninja and Keldeo among other things. Seems to slot nicely.

:pecharunt: This thing will be annoying. With its extremely weird stat profile its hard to eyeball if that annoying /pos or annoying /neg but it will be annoying. The biggest thing to keep in mind that it has extremely shallow movepool limited to Sludge Bomb/Malignant Chain, Shadowball/Hex, Toxic, Parting Shot, Nasty Plot, Recover and Foul Play. And thats it.

Tinkaton in Particular loves Treads leaving. Maybe it's no longer the S tier Mon it used to be but it still has a lot of potential. I would 4n rank it as an A rank mon tbh. It does its job incredibly well and with one of its best counters/competition gone it's poised to greatness.Being a hazard setter with good buzz match up is incredie aswell compares to Metagross.
But that's just my initial impression. I could be wrong.

:iron crown:
So iron crown is a really really good mon. I wanted to try out screens in this new metagame so I created a new alt. Created the most braindead screens team possible and easily climbed to 1600.
Would have higher gxe if I wasnt playing misplaying so much and testing out some sets in low ladder. Regardless, this mon is so broken; it does the same things as lati namely agility + calm mind and stored power. However under screens this mon is not beaten by any steels thanks to its stronger fighting move and better typing. You can also abuse knock users to proc weakness policy and sweep. Under screens with max hp and defence as well as a calm mind boost you can stomach most super effective hits, proc weakness policy and blow through every single mon your opponent has. You also naturally resist most priority users in the tier. The only reliable counterplay to this mon is encore, phasing or haze. Getting it in is also a non issue as with its excellent psychic steel typing, it can find many opportunities to switch in after screens are up such as against lati, tink, pecha, pex, etc. The only stuff that can stomach its boosted hits are jirachi and metagross but they cant do anything back. This mon is just lati 2.0 and I would not be suprised if it ends up being too much for the tier.

Tier shifts suck not gonna lie. Garchomp might end up too dominant in the hazards game without Treads as a reliable spinner. Losing Alo as a wall/wisher is also nasty making spikes even more hard to handle. Sinistcha is still going to stuff Quaquaval's spin attempts and Mandibuzz has its own issues. On the positives, Pex is nice and I think it'll be the new backbone of balance with AV Torn. Crown is nice, it's a check to Latios and Cornerpon, Scarf may have some merit on BO and AgiliBooster is going to be a HO staple.

Wow I easily broke 1600 on the first day of shifts, without good spinners the tier is pretty fucked and i feel we will see an adaptation to smth like decid for ex. weezing-g or mandibuzz for removal and maybe we will see a rise of hippo and donphan again and we will steal them from RU or even swampert! what a nice mon with yawn + flip turn still being there.

But this team works very well... (you people, im going to make a post about h-lilli one day) sandy shocks is a real MVP tho... thunder wave is such an interesting move that i suprised to see got 0 use.. smth like kommo-o being screens, latios, ogerpon, poltea, iron crown, etc you can really slow it down.

Tier shifts suck and do nothing much besides add more shit to the tier... screens will be better since treads cant take advantage of grim and knock it off and spin away hazards at the same time vs most leads esp with balloon, booster, or shuca.

This meta kinda sucks rn.. but im interested to see in the potential of other removal options that werent explored thanks to iron treads. Also pex is UU after a year of people thinking it will drop lets see how you adapt in this meta esp with slowking existing.

Psychic moth kinda owns phys def pex and av pex is smth i havent seen yet but has potential esp to stuff smth like gren, moth, can scout latios, good vs specs keldeo, but we will see...

Fuck vacuum wave keld, i always forget it has it

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2049509753
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2049507161
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2049501309?p2
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9uu-2049498284

I really do like necrozma and how it can take advantage of latios at -2 and just sweep games esp since mandi is easy to chip into range, i should really try out auto + meteor beam or... it can lose auto, but CM + moonlight is a set that may see exploration smth like this will prob be ok I do wonder how it may do btw yeah... MU vs latios isnt bad thanks to most lacking recovery, using tera can be useful vs smth like stall, toxic mandibuzz, and smth like specs gren trying to dakr pulse spam

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)