Smogon Forums

noobcubed
noobcubed
No... why would you think that?
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
The modding comment is not really a great comparison, a better comparison is to something like trading cards. No one's gonna want someone to be printing off a bunch of counterfeits, even if they are so similar that you can't know the difference. Genning and all that is a way to get something valuable (it has been given value even if it doesn't have inherent value) for no cost which goes against the whole point of collecting, which is that some people have certain copies and some have others, and they have to trade to get what they want.

A better analog to the modding community would be like editing ROMs to do randomizers or adding future Generation Pokemon to past gen games and such. And as far as I know, Nintendo/Game Freak haven't really been doing anything to take those down.

Anyway, I just thought it was trollbait 'cause I know you are a smart guy so I thought it'd be clear to you why they don't really like this kinda stuff, but you asked as if it was a genuine mystery.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Modding (as far as I know) tends to mostly focus on the single-player experience, or are only cosmetic changes. If someone were to somehow mod Halo to have their character spawn with all the best weapons automatically in a multiplayer match, that wouldn't be fair at all and I'm sure all sensible people would agree!