Smogon Forums

Rugi
Rugi
Yeah I realise. Most English speaking countries seem to not give a crap about teaching a second language.

I was really lucky to have parents that could teach me Spanish and to go to a Primary School with a decently strong Japanese program. Here in Australia a bit more emphasis is placed on learning a second languages so most school give courses in Japanese, French, Italian or Mandarin.

Still just because you don't have the support doesn't mean you should give up. Whatever language you want to learn if its even remotely common (like 50 million+ speakers) will have a tonne of online resources that you can use.

When I went to one of the exchange briefings there was a guy there that spoke entirely self taught Italian, he had never once had a formal education in it or even been to Italy and a native Italian speaker confirmed that aside from a weird accent he was almost fluent.

Recently I've been depending a lot on blogs, forums and online dictionaries to improve my Japanese as due to studying my ass off I've gotten way ahead of the curriculum. (and I still don't know shit)

As well as online resources ask around for lessons. I'm assuming you live in a city in the U.S or England in which case there should be at least a few people who are native speakers of the language you want to learn.