Smogon Forums

fleurdyleurse
fleurdyleurse
perhaps not the best chosen example given that "woman's chemise" can be construed more easily as its own category -- so i would agree with you on that. (the INTENDED meaning was a chemise that belongs to a specific woman, as opposed to a blue [woman's chemise] as a category of clothing items).
fleurdyleurse
fleurdyleurse
maybe an example that would be more illustrative is "a gold man's watch", where hopefully the ambiguity presents itself more clearly.

RE your point on english adjective order: I'm aware of that, yes; again, i suppose woman's presented itself more easily as a qualifier than as an actual possessive in that specific case than it would in others.
Bughouse
Bughouse
yeah make it a construction where it’s clearly a possessive not a classifier. So... if it were stealing a gold man’s watch I would be more likely to think I stole a watch from a gold man vs buying it. When you buy there’s no obvious man involved. So I think of it as the answer to the question of “what kind of watch was it - men’s or women’s?” Or you could also make the object not remotely gendered like a phone idk.
Bughouse
Bughouse
Also now that I googled chemise I realize a man’s chemise would be a strange thing haha... but also idk how many men know what it is. Would be better example if google not needed :)