Smogon Forums

DaWoblefet
DaWoblefet
You're close; you'd want to put in slightly over 75% HP remaining. Something like 75.001 would work in theory. However, there's still some nuance. Because Substitute doesn't take exactly 25% of the user's HP, but will round down, something like 0 HP Scizor at level 100, which hits 281 stat, will make a 70 HP Substitute, which is 70/281 = ~24.91%.
DaWoblefet
DaWoblefet
Since this value will change depending on your current HP stat, Survival Calc isn't as precise because the exact amount of HP percentage the Sub has will vary. For what it's worth, crunching the numbers myself, 12 HP / 52 Sp. Def will be the minimum EVs for 4 Sp. Atk Scald to not break, and 12 HP / 36 Sp. Def would be minimum 15/16 not to break.
musiquepkmn
OK thank you very much. I know crunching number isn't easy. But just a question. Why would you put 75% hp remaining? Doesn't that calc for how much evs you need to deal 75%, or is it calcing for 25%? Sorry, I'm just not too familiar with Survival calc. Why didn't 25% work?
DaWoblefet
DaWoblefet
75% HP remaining means the attack is set up to only deal 25% at most (roughly a Substitute). As a comparison, if you wanted to survive an attack 100% of the time, you'd say you want at least 0.01% remaining; if you put 99%, then the attack could only at most deal 1% damage :P.
musiquepkmn
ohhh i see. So it's how much hp i want remaining after the attack is dealt? That's interesting. Thank you so much for you help!

One last thing: I'm blanking on the name of the forum where you ask questions about mechanics in SS. I know you're a part of that forum. Can you remind me of what that's called? thank you!