Smogon Forums

musiquepkmn
Sorry if I'm new, I've only been around since pre-dmax ban gen 8. I've been watcching the metagame discussion thread pretty closely and I don't know of any Council/tiering complaints forum, so maybe just posting a 1-liner about it would move the topic. Anyway there might be reasons not to have 1 anyways idk thanks for answering so many of my questions
Finchinator
Finchinator
As I’ve said in most posts, they can PM me and the other council members to discuss! Our PMs are always open. Public discussion of tiering policy is intended for the Policy Review forum as it effects far more than just OU and goes well beyond just the OU Council.
musiquepkmn
What about complaints about the OU council and OU tiering decisions specifically? Policy Review and PMs are great (definitely better than metagame forum) but no one reads PMs between people they aren't talking with and Policy review feels intimidating to post to because many people don't have great knowledge on other tiers.
Finchinator
Finchinator
It’s quite literally our job to read and response to those PMs, so I don’t quite understand the “no one reads PMs between people they aren’t talking with” logic unless you mean something else. Can you elaborate
musiquepkmn
Sorry: I mean I wouldn't read a PM between you and TPP if you had one. So if someone not in the council comes to you to discuss the Council, I and others would not see it. People are posting their complaints in the metagame forum because they want everyone to see it, not one specific councilmember. Sorry for being ambiguous
musiquepkmn
The only downside to doing this is time, but ultimately this is your decision because your time is very valuable and you are an unpaid volunteer
Finchinator
Finchinator
It’s not part of the job description of a council member to respond to individual forum posts and while I personally do it as part of my job because I care and I value the input of people, I can’t exactly force that attitude on others.
musiquepkmn
Yes! I don't want to insinuate that you are not going above and beyond or that others must be as active as you. But the council is not necessarily the only ones who know how smogon works. Many people have been playing for years and are still active. I'm suggesting that we make a forum where those with complaints can discuss with each other, like they are doing rn in the metagame forum
musiquepkmn
No matter how silly and untrue the complaints are, there are still a substantial amount of people who believe them and either way they are distracting from metagame discussion. Why not make a forum for them, since obviously they don't want to make a new forum in the policy review forum list
musiquepkmn
Or there could be a forum right now that i couldn't find and i could be just wasting your time
Finchinator
Finchinator
Idk what you want me to say I already explained going out of their way to respond to those complaints is not in the job description and not everyone on the council wants to go that far out of their way to post and respond excessively :blobshrug:
Finchinator
Finchinator
I’m happy to respond when people ask me and do so regularly. But I don’t lead the council and I cannot control other people, so I can’t do much else here.

and if it’s anything like metagame discussion, making this thread or forum wouldn’t end well anyway. Almost all of the complaints are just people who are not informed unfortunately
musiquepkmn
Ok! thank you for responding and I'm sure you are right. I'm glad you're in our community because you are so active and positive and you're one of the reasons I continue to play! Keep it up
Finchinator
Finchinator
i wish i had a better answer tbh, but i guess we just gotta keep in mind this is an online community based off of a game with volunteers doing all of the leg work. if this were something official or more professional, i feel your idea would have a lot more of a realistic premise. your head is honestly in a good place, if that means anything
Finchinator
Finchinator
with this said, i do not have all the answers and am just trying to help where i can. so i appreciate your understanding and i know we are all headed in the right direction! ou is ran by some great people and not everyone has the time or familiarity to respond to little things, but i promise we all care and want what's best. my fellow councilmen and the TLs are all great
musiquepkmn
:) I'll try to keep in mind that you guys are volunteers... Sometimes when I get riled up by some post I find myself wanting to demand everything from you guys but then I try to cool down and remember you guys are giving it as much time as possible.