Real Time IRC Mafia - Postgame

First off, thanks to all involved. That means thanks to CrabNebula for helping the hosting, first and foremost, but also thanks to everyone who helped realize the idea by posting in the previous thread and obviously participating.

Handy links! Logs provided by Flounder and Accent, thanks guys!
#hawk logs (discussion)
#vote logs (votes)
#darkside logs (mafia discussion)
Host Spreadsheet

I'll discuss the teams briefly. First, I originally planned 15 or 20 players. I picked 15 to start small, but the amounts on each team didn't quite do it for me, so I went with 18 total, with 12 villagers, 5 mafia and 1 wolf.

Village

[1] inspector - Sidd
You are the inspector. At night, you may inspect one other person, and you will know his role by the end of the night. You win when all threats to the village are eliminated.

Standard inspector. Sidd found two mafia guys before being killed on a hunch, one of them being the mafia inspector twash.

[2] hooker - Dogfish44 -> Domino
You are the hooker. At night, you may hook one other person, and that person will not be able to complete any night actions he was doing. You win when all threats to the village are eliminated.

The hooker wasn't as gamebreaking as in #fluodome mafia since he had to hook the right mafia guy to have effect (though he could also have stopped twash's inspections). He didn't get to do anything significant, but no complaints either.

[3] bodyguard - Jimbo
You are the bodyguard. At night, you may protect one other person, and that person will survive the night. You may protect yourself, but only once. You win when all threats to the village are eliminated.

I don't like the #fluodome bodyguard not being able to protect himself, but I didn't like the idea of someone turning themselves into a BPV either. So basically, the one-time self protect was meant to stop an early randkill until he could get in touch with the other power roles. Jimbo protected himself the same night he got inspected by twash, so he couldn't prevent his nightly death even if he knew. Protected key roles though!

[4] party guy - Pyromaniac
You are the party guy. At night, you may invite as many people to your party as you wish, but a minimum of three (not yourself). At the end of the night, you will be told whether all, some or none of your guests were evil. You win when all the threats to the village are eliminated.

Perhaps this one was slightly over the top, but it was mostly meant as an aid to keep Earthworm's channel clean as well as a back-up inspector. He cleaned two guys at once at n1 (the third died), then n2 he was going to clean another three but decided to change to two of the previous plus a new one. Not that it mattered, since he died. Thanks to Brain for this genius role!

[5] channel guy - Earthworm
You are the channel guy. You are a vop in the channel #drphilshow. At night, you may choose one user who you want to join this channel. The hosts will invite this user to the secret channel. You win when all the threats to the village are eliminated.

Not to toot my own horn, but the Dr Phil show was a great addition to IRC Live Mafia imo. It allowed some easy way for village reunion, and also allowed the mafia to mole something. It was hilarious how he invited Lightwolf n1, then almost everyone else who joined his channel ended up dying. Earthworm played very well overall though.

[6] Generic - lots of people
You are a villager. You do not have a night role, but your vote during the day is valuable. You win when all the threats to the village are eliminated.

As you can see in the sheet I was going to keep track of the votes, but it wasn't needed as most votes were complete bandwagons thanks to Lesm and Earthworm. It was too much work anyway. But yeah, the villagers played well for the most part.

Mafia

Every night, the mafia agree to send one of their men to kill someone.
The mafia get information that the roles martyr and rogue are not in the game, and that there are generic villagers, and material to fake a pm.

[1] mafia - Accent, Mr. 378 (Iron Kenyan), macle
You are a mafia grunt. You win when the mafia outnumbers the village.

Standard mafia men. Accent did a lot of the discussion from what I saw. They played really well, but a lot of their stuff got inspected, and a misunderstanding caused them to go against the bandwagon with their last remaining men.

[2] mafia hitman - Toothache
You are the mafia hitman. At the start of the game, pick whether you think you will die by lynch or nightkill. If you pick correctly, you will get to pick one person to die with you. This may not work on certain roles. You win when the mafia outnumbers the village.

I wanted to give mafia one extra power role (besides their inspection), and at first thought I'd include a standard hunter. But he needed some kind of nerf, so I made him choose his death. Toothache picked death by night, which ended up being a total waste as the wolf died on the first day. Speaking of that, the wolf was the role he couldn't take down with him.

[3] mafia spy - twash
You are the mafia spy. At night, you may inspect one user in the game. If that user has a night role, you will be told which. You win when the mafia outnumbers the village.

The inspection was a way to have them detect and kill power roles. They hit two of them in a row (Earthworm, then Jimbo), and then after a generic villy inspection on Lesm46, twash was inspected and lynched.

Wolf

[1] wolf - Lightwolf
You are the werewolf. At night, you may kill one other person, and in addition you can use each of hook, silence and selfprotect once. You win if you are the last person alive.
The wolf gets information that the role mayor is not in the game, and that there are generic villagers, and material to fake a pm.

I was very satisfied with Lightwolf being wolf, as he's competent enough to pull it off. I got even more excited once Earthworm invited him to his channel n1. Alas, he ended up being rolled Day 1, so he couldn't do much. As uncreative as it is to make the wolf a mix of roles, I thought he needed more than just a nightly kill to win. This was a way of giving him means of claiming, as well as some lategame strength.

Again, thanks everybody for participating. Whoever wants to start another one, feel free to start a new thread or something. Contact me if you want tips on hosting!

I'll add my bit to this. Thanks to everyone who played (and watched) and to Mekkah for hosting. The game went smooth and lasted one and a half hours which was decently fast for an 18 player game. Both sides, village and mafia played well. Mafia had a bit more luck but their only mistake cost them the game. At one point they were very close to winning, 2 mislynches would have bagged them the win. Anyway, congrats to village!

LightWolf probably should have claimed one of the roles that he had a one-time usage of to me, I almost definitely wouldn't have lynched him if he did. That would have changed the game completely!

Mekkah, do you think a leaderboard thing for Real Time IRC Mafia would be appropriate / interesting? I think it would be cool to have one!

Congratulations on a smoothly run and well planned mafia, Mekkah / CN!

Leaderboard should probably happen, though it isn't really 100% fair to award everyone in a team with a win or loss since not everyone contributes equally.

Anyone have moi's spreadsheet from the game he hosted last night?

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The wolf gets information that the role mayor is not in the game, and that there are generic villagers, and material to fake a pm.
You told me the rogue info not this one. (I would have so claimed mayor, actually I should have claimed rogue then, no idea why I didn't)

Well I still had fun, even if I was dead like like from the start, it was an interesting watch. Looking forward to the next one!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)