ORAS NU ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead

INTRO

hello, for those who don't know me i'm rozes and i've been a nu main for around the past year. i haven't been having that much fun with the current state of the tier and thats probably due to me playing so much nu for the past few months. i'm deciding to archive a team that has been extremely solid for a while. i made this for bouff for his semifinals match against cased, and its had quite a bit of success in all of spl / ladder / tours, and has been one of the most consistent teams i've made in a while. the team utilizes a sort of underrated strategy in tailwind, and some sets like tailwind shiftry and choice band kabutops to pull off this goal of a tailwind sweep. the nicks for the team and the banner come from another eternity by purity ring, which is an amazing album that i would reccomend everyone listen to. anyway i'm terrible with intro's in general so ill just get right into the team...
THE_TEAM

IN-DEPTH_ANALYSIS
___-
**repetition
__
_
swellow @
| scrappy

timid | 252 spa / 4 spd / 252 spe
u-turn
boomburst
heat wave
sleep talk

• overview:
    so the team basically started with the core of swellow and garbodor as swellow appreciates the spike support that garbodor provides, and just the general damage garbodor is able to rack up on attackers such as hariyama with rocky helmet and aftermath. swellows great speed tier allows it to easily clean up against most common archetypes, especially offense as it does not miss having such a low special attack stat against the lower defenses that most offensive teams have. it also has a great ability in scrappy that allows it to get past ghost types which normally wall normals. swellow in general was what the team was built around supporting, and thats really all there is to say. evs here are basically standard, max special attack allows swellow to hit as hard as possible, while max speed gives it access to the best unboosted speed tier in nu and making it such a huge threat.
  • set choice:
    specs is basically the best set swellow can run in nu due to its strong stab move in boomburst, and great ability in scrappy. boomburst is an insanely strong stab move that hurts most pokemon even off of swellows base 50 spa stat. the next most clicked move on swellows moveset is u-turn. u-turn allows it to pivot out of common switch ins like steelix, rhydon, and hariyama into things that are able to beat them. u-turn is also used to keep up momentum early game and make sure im able to stay ahead of any switches my opponent tries to make in the early and mid turns of the game. heat wave is used to deal solid damage to steelix mainly, while also being able to hit steel types such as klinklang for good damage. its obviously used a lot less, as most of the time swellow would prefer u-turning out of those mons as being locked into heat wave is easily taken advantage of by the opponent. the last move i have on here is sleep talk, as it allows swellow to be a much better check to things that use sleep inducing moves such as lilligant and vivilon, and due to its other three moves its always going to be able to hit them with something that deals good damage.
  • alternative options:
    swellow honestly can't differ that much on this team. while sub / endeavor is a cool set, it really doesn't work that well on this team due to it prefers that swellow hits hard as opposed to wearing down its own checks and counters. another option that i considered was running tailwind on this set, as it works well the the combo of choice band kabutops and tailwind shiftry, however once i gave it to bouff we decided that it was more important to be able to beat lilli / vivi on this team. another option would be hidden power grass in the last slot just to deal damage to rhydon, which the team can struggle with if it sets up to +2 and is above ~50%.
___--
**dust hymn
__
_
garbodor @
| aftermath

impish | 248 hp / 164 def / 96 spe
gunk shot
focus blast
rock blast
spikes

• overview:
    the next member of this team is garbodor. when it comes to spike stack in nu, garbodor is always going to be brought up as the top mon to use. its combination of good defensive typing, decent defenses, and good movepool make it the premiere spiker in nu. its ability to just rack up damage quickly on the opposing team is why it was chosen here. with spikes / rocky helmet / aftermath it just is able to punish all physical attackers as well as grounded mons in order to bring them into the range of swellow and the other mons attacks. its pure poison typing allows it to beat fighting types as well, which usually are a huge threat in nu. it also has a very easily spammable stab due to its high poison rate and generally good coverage on the majority of the tier. evs here allow garbodor to outspeed base speed 55s such as cacturne, and being able to kill it with gunk shot or set up spikes against it. the rest is thrown in defense and hp to better handle fighting types and other physical attackers in general.
  • set choice:
    gunk shot is mandatory stab on garbodor, as its a very powerful move that allows garbodor to still have an offensive presence while not actually investing in attack at all. the other perk of gunk shot is its 30% chance to poison the target, this is usually huge against things like mesprit which hate having constant damage being done to them, and it also helps against things like lilligant and shiftry. focus blast was the next move i added, as it helps out with chipping steelix and does about ~30% to it. this damage brings it into the range of things like swellow and kabutops, and gives them both more chances to sweep late game. even though i dont invest in special attack at all with this set, garbodor really doesn't need it and would rather prefer having its speed and attack stats high. rock blast is kind of a filler move because i couldn't really thing of anything else the team needed. rock blast allows it to 2hko things like jynx and vivillon, as well as preventing charizard from using you as set up fodder. in all honesty this move is just filler and having something else to replace it with would be a great change. spikes is the reason i chose garb in the first place, as it is able to just set up spikes very easily and wear down the opposing team that way. this breaks things like steelix's sturdy, and puts more pokemon in range of attacks from my other mons.
  • alternative options:
    there are quite a few other options for garb, and i really haven't been able to decide on the one i like the best. one option is to just go wtih toxic spikes, which go with the idea of helping the team wear down defensive threats, but after looking at calcs i dont think garbodor has really ever needed it. another option that i've been considering more and more is haze in order to beat threats like malamar which otherwise 6-0 this team, it also helps against barrier + calm mind musharna which can't really touch garbodor with a 20bp move. there are also coverage options like psychic, thunderbolt, seed bomb that all have their merits, but i really can't think of what any other move would have in order to help the team.
_____-
**sea castle
__
_
kabutops @
| swift swim

jolly | 252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe
aqua jet
waterfall
stone edge
superpower

• overview:
    after bouff told me about wanting to use swellow and garbodor, i started building around them and kabutops was the next mon i had in mind. kabutops appreciates swellows ability to wear down rock / steel types in order for it to spam its rock stab more easily, as well as garbodors ability to wear down the opposing team. i decided to try out a set i've always wanted to use, which is choice band kabutops. cb kabutops has the ability to 2hko a majority of the tier due to its high attack stat and strong stab moves. choice band is also incredibley uncommon on kabutops, so a lot of supposed safe switch ins really can't take a choice band stone edge. it also provides strong priority in the form of aqua jet, being able to pick off offensive teams made up of pokemon like archeops, pyroar, and swellow and being able to revenge kill a weakened rhydon. while building i also thought i was going to be making a tailwind oriented team, which choice band kabu fit the mold of perfectly as a strong attacker which can't be outsped under tailwind and usually being able to pick up a few kills once the team has been weakened. i chose to go with timid on this kabutops set as choice band gives it plenty of power to the point where adamant isn't as needed, and the ability to potentially outspeed pokemon like modest mesprit and adamant shiftry is huge.
  • set choice:
    this set is basically standard for choiced kabu, if it was common at all. aqua jet provides a reliable priority move that can be used to pick off faster targets like pyroar and archeops, and waterfall gives a much stronger water stab that hits things like steelix and rhydon that try to switch in on stone edge. stone edge is kabutops strongest stab move and its usually the move i end up sweeping with near the end game. stone edge's high crit rate and power allow kabutops to muscle past a lot of common checks such as gourgeist and vileplume, as both are suddenly 2hkod after a little bit of prior damage. superpower was the last move on the set, and its used to beat water and rock resists like ferroseed and cradily. while it does come with a nasty side effect of lowering attack and defense, the ability to break past things like ferroseed and cradily is too good to pass up.
  • alternative options:
    there aren't to many other options due to kabutops lack of a large physical movepool thats useable. there are options like rock slide in the last slot if you really dont want to miss, and moves like x-scissor that help against specific threats. another idea i was playing around with was making kabutops a choice scarf or life orb set, and changing the function of the team and giving shiftry swords dance. however this just completely messes with the current archetype and really is not a change that i would consider doing as it just changes up the entire team.
____
**wildfire
__
_
combusken @
| speed boost

timid | 252 spa / 4 spd / 252 spe
focus blast
fire blast
will-o-wisp
protect

• overview:
    in order to support kabutops and swellow in their quest to defeat the opposing team, i decided to add a bit of a different combusken set. while normally special combusken would like to run life orb to make up for its lack of power, and eviolite is generally left to swords dance sets or baton pass. however on this team i felt a more defensive variant of combusken was needed, while still being able to keep up the offensive pressure that this team needs. thats when i decided to go with a eviolite wisp combusken set that works on wearing down common checks to combusken. with the combination of spikes and wisp, combusken can quickly wear down answers to itself and answers to swellow like lanturn and hariyama just by clicking protect and wisp and wearing them down every time they switch in. evs here are to prioritize my offensive stats, as combusken is still able to pack a punch with max special attack, and max speed allows it to outspeed things like lilligant and pyroar after getting a speed boost.
  • set choice:
    focus blast is the best fighting stab combusken has, and even though its unreliable with its 70% accuracy, it gets the job done. it gets neutral coverage on most fire resists in the tier, being able to get chip damage off on things like hariyama and lanturn which annoy the rest of the team. fire blast is the strongest fire stab combusken has, and similarly to focus blast it hits a lot of common fighting resists in the tier. this means its able to target pokemon like weezing and mesprit which give the rest of the team trouble. will-o-wisp is rarely seen outside of baton pass sets, but i feel like it gets the job done for the team. with will-o-wisp all combusken has to do is catch things like hariyama, lanturn, mantine on the switch once and in combination with hazard damage from spikes and stealth rock they are easily whittled and easier for combusken to pick off later, or for a teammate to finish the job. protect is the last move, as it lets combusken get a speed boost after initially switching in, as well as continuing to whittle down the opposing pokemon if they are burnt.
  • alternative options:
    this set is pretty impretive to the team, but ther definetly are other options that can function in a similar way. a swords dance variant is also able to lure in hariyama, but it struggles much more against things like lanturn. baton pass is another option to run on this set, as you can potentially pass speed to things like piloswine and kabu so they do not necessarily need tailwind to be up in order to sweep. but really aside from that i wouldn't consider changing up to much on combusken, maybe trying out max hp just to tank hits easier but diminishing its offensive capabilities isn't something i would really like doing.
___-
**push pull
__
_
shiftry @
| chlorophyll

hasty | 252 atk / 4 spa / 252 spe
knock off
sucker punch
leaf storm
tailwind

• overview:
    probably one of the most important support pokemon on the team, as quite a bit of the end game strategy revolves around shiftry being able to get up a tailwind for piloswine or kabutops. shiftry also provides the team with another form of strong priority, with sucker punch being extremely powerful against non-resisted opponents like floatzel or tauros. its typing is also one of the key features of why shiftry is able to do so well in nu, as having the secondary dark typing allows it to get past threatening sweepers like musharna which every team has to have an answer to in nu. evs are the best option for mixed shiftry, as leaf storm still packs a punch with no investment and knock off and sucker punch are boosted by the combination of max attack and dread plate. hasty is the better choice from my experience, as shiftry will be taking special hits quite a bit more often and having the higher speed is more useful.
  • set choice:
    knock off is the one move that should be on 99% of all shiftry sets, as its just such a spamable move in the tier. the abilitity to remove an opposing pokemons item as well as hitting them with an almost 100 base power dark type move is very hard to pass off and not run on shiftry. sucker punch gives it a nice form of priority that can be used to revenge scarfers and faster threats like mesprit and tauros. leaf storm gives shiftry an easy to spam grass stab that it can use to play the roll of a more suicide mon, as leaf strom is very storm is very strong even with no investment, but comes with the downside of lowering its special attack by two stages, allowing it to be set up on by things like mega audino. tailwind is the crux of this set, and really the reason i considered using shiftry in the first place. tailwind is just amazing team support as it allows kabutops and piloswine to run through opposing teams. it also gives shiftry a way to play around opposing sucker punch mind games, and gives it another way to get around faster threats like pyroar that had the ability to play around sucker punch on its own. dread plate was chosen over life orb on this set as with life orb shiftry can actually lose to calm mind / barrier musharna one on one, and that would mean i get 6-0d by the set which isn't smart considering how common and deadly it is.
  • alternative options:
    there are a few options that ive been considering run on this set, but most of them dont really help with the overall goals of the team. one of the is going with seed bomb over leaf storm on shiftry, as it gives it a better way to hit hariyama and makes it so that shiftry isn't forced out after using leaf storm most of the time. however its a lot weaker, and actually fails to ohko things like rhydon which is why im wary to make the change. a +atk nature can be used, as it gives shiftry a much bigger punch, but having access to the base 80 speed tier means that shiftry really does want to be able to tie with opposing base 80s like kabutops and mesprit. if i really wanted to change up the team, i could make shifry a swords dance set to give the team some form of set up, but this would force me to make changes like choice scarf kabutops and really changing up the team.
_----
**bodyache
__
_
piloswine @
| thick fat

adamant | 76 hp / 252 atk / 180 spe
earthquake
icicle crash
ice shard
stealth rock

• overview:
    pilo kind of became the offensive glue that held this team together by the end. the set im using is more of an offensive take on normal piloswine, and it takes advantage of its amazing dual stabs to beat opposing teams. the combination of strong ice and ground stabs backed by a pretty high attack stat for nu makes it a force to be reckoned with. the ev spread i have right now is to maximize its attacking capabilities with 252 atk and an adamant nature, and the 180 spe is used to outspeed floatzel with tailwind up, and to just creep base 50s and 60s in general. piloswine just provides great overall defensive utility as well, as eviolite makes it much bulkier than expected, especially with already high hp and def stats. it can act like a normal resist in a sense, as kabutops isn't the most reliable normal / flying resist. it still has to watch out for things like iron tail from tauros and aqua tail from kangaskhan, but in general it acts as the primary normal resist for the team, as kabutops is easily 2hkod by normal types going for moves like earthquake in combination with their stabs.
  • move choice:
    earthquake is the primary ground stab chosen for piloswine, as there really is no other reliable ground stab that it can run. there is also no reason not run a base 100 power move with no drawbacks as it can be used to hit common hazard setters like steelix and garbodor. icicle crash is pilo's strongest ice stab that isn't multi hit, and it comes with quite a few benefits. one of the biggest ones is its flinch chance, as the 30% chance to flinch can come in handy quite a bit especially with the added speed from tailwind. the ice stab also synergyses really nicely with piloswine's ground stab as the ice stab can be used to hit grass / flying / levitators that try to switch in on earthquake. this includes things like shiftry / swellow / mesprit that all dont like taking a max attack icicle crash. ice shard is used in order to have some revenge killing capability even outside of tailwind, and its piloswines main way of revenge killing things like swellow that it can't outspeed even under tailwind. stealth rock is the final move on the set, and its a necessary for any serious team in nu. its especially key on piloswine, as with its ice stab its able to threaten xatu which usually tries to bounce back rocks for the other team but due to icicle crash it can no longer do that.
  • alternative options:
    there really aren't to many alternative options to run on this set, as its very set on what it wants to do. a different ev spread could be used with max speed and a +speed nature, however there really is nothing relevent this outspeeds aside from swellow which is hit hard by ice shard anyway. another ev spread with more hp can be used, as it adds on to piloswines bulk with the cost of decreasing its usefullness in tailwind. toxic can make its way over ice shard or icicle crash in order to hit things like musharna, but both ice stabs are pretty important. one in tailwind and one outside. i considered going with a more offensive item in order to increase pilos offensive capabilities, but the defenses that it has under eviolite are just too nice to give up.
CONCLUSION

by the end of this proccess i kind of rushed through the last few descriptions, so sorry if they are a bit lacking. i just really want to post this so it isn't on my mind anymore and i can get on with finishing nupl and then focusing on other tiers. honestly ive really enjoyed most of my time playing nu, as most of the playerbase has been really welcoming and its been a great experience. in the past few months ive been branching out more as ive hated the idea of being a single tier player and this has led me to pick up a multitude of other tiers and my drifting away from the nu community. the nu community will always be the place that i started out and the place that i will feel the most comfortable in, and will still probably be the tier i know best no matter how long i play other tiers. oh yeah this format is also taken from Trinitrotoluene's RMT here.

in terms of a threatlist the biggest threat is definetly
as it sets up on basically everything and i have no good way to kill it. ive been trying out haze garbodor to fix this, and its been working out /ok/ but there are probably other ways for me to fix this weakness. another one is
and other water types in general, as if they manage to hit shiftry on the switch with ice beam / megahorn i have no good way of dealing with it.

here are a few replays with a quick description in case you wanted to see the team in action:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-nu-142035 - bouff's spl game against cased, really shows off cb kabu's wallbreaking capabilities
and here are a few from nul: 1 2 3 4 5
IMPORTABLE
repetition (Swellow) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Sleep Talk

dust hymn (Garbodor) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast
- Rock Blast

sea castle (Kabutops) @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Aqua Jet

wildfire (Combusken) @ Eviolite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

push pull (Shiftry) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm
- Tailwind

bodyache (Piloswine) @ Eviolite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
SHOUTOUTS
ok since i kind of want to get this over w/ im only going to write up shoutouts for nu people since i dont plan on playing this tier to much after NUPL, and i want everyone who has really helped me in this tier to have one final shoutout.

Raseri - you have probably been one of the most influential people to me on this site and one of the reasons i stuck around in nu. you have been an amazing friend and always there to encourage me and other new players. even though you dont get to show off your own playing capabilities all the time you really are an amazing player. thanks for sticking around in nu and i really do hope you stick around for as long as i stay on this site :3
Kiyo - you probably dont know this, but it was actually finding your youtube channel that made me want to get into nu. i think it was a video with you, inno, and tennis and it was just you guys laddering and having fun. it was really after seeing that video that i realized that there was more to this site than just laddering and stealing teams from other people, and i made it my goal to join the nu community. since then you've been a really great friend and always there to help me and back me up when i need it. please keep making videos though, and i cant wait for worlds n_n
Finchinator - thanks for actually seeing something in me and picking me up for pocl mids and spl. the fact that you were able to help me get picked up for basically my first two teams tours it meant a lot. ever since you got me for pocl, ive felt like ive always had someone to talk to and someone to just be there for when i needed them to. you are honestly the perfect definition of the perfect friend for a pokemon site, always there to test teambuild and whatever else i needed, without a second thought. i know ive done some stupid things around you, and im happy that you still are able to see me as a good person and that our friendship has lasted through it.
Silver Aurum - first part of the voice crew, and definitely the biggest weeb. you've been a great friend right from the start, and im still so happy that this skype group was formed for us to just talk. while you / shane / rapture may no longer be voices the group still lives on in me n_n. also youve been just a really good friend general as you are up all the time and ready to test and play whatever :]
Shaneghoul - part two of the voice crew and probably the person who i trust the most in terms of building. sad i couldn't get you for nupl, but weve just built together and played together so much that i can say i know your style the best and you probably know mine. even though your spl run wasnt the best, i still think you are one of the best current nu players and hopefully more people see that coming up in nu tours n_n
Shadowtags - part three and final member of the voice crew and almost as big of a weeb as silver :o we honestly dont talk that much and that should change, good luck with how big you are getting and hopefully you keep participating in nu
Hootie - if shane is the person ive built and tested with, you are the person in nu ive talked the most with. youve been a really great friend since we started talking, and i couldnt imagine being where i am without you. i know your nupl record doesn't really show what kind of player you are, and i hope you sign up for more tours in order to show your nu knowledge off. clef clef.
boltsandbombers - another really good friend right from the start, and you are the one that showed me the ropes in c&c. you also have an insane about of knowledge in every tier you play, but you never do show it off. if i have one piece of advice for you is just be more confident in yourself when you are playing. you can easily be one of the top players if you just get rid of the idea that you aren't a good player, because once you get rid of this you will be one of the top players
Advantage - if kiyo was the reason that i wanted to get into nu, and cased and sg were the ones that taught me, you are the one that integrated me into the community. you were the first person in nu that actually noticed me and added me to the stable. even though it wasnt that big of a deal it actually meant a lot and from there you added me to the skype group which started my relationship with basically everyone else on this list. thank you for actually taking the time to help me when ive needed it and we both you neither of us will be going anywhere for a while.
Cased - you and sg can take all the credit for making me a tour player. i cant thank you enough for actually listening to me when i said i would make you a logo. oh yeah about that, i never did finish it did i... but aside from that you are the one that also go me into spl, you backed me up once i told you that i actually wanted to make it and you helped me all throughout it. even though you end up getting banned every other day you still will be my mentor for mons
soulgazer - while cased was the one that bought me, you were the one that helped me learn how to build and play. thanks for also backing me up in the spl thread and ultimately helping me get bought. also thanks for helping me during spl itself and now coming in clutch during nupl. thanks for saving us in future spls and not playing nu as well n_n

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)