ORAS PU 3005

Hi. As you can probably tell, my name is Dundies, and today I'm bringing you all another PU RMT. Ever since the drop of Cryogonal I've finally regained interest in building and playing PU, so I've been building a ton of teams lately, just seeing if I can get some good ones. Stall has always seemed like a weaker playstyle in PU due to all the wallbreakers in the tier like Rotom-F and Floatzel, and in a way it is, but with the right combination of Pokemon you can actually get a really solid result, and that's what I have here. So enjoy, 'till 3005 (yes I know the song is old but it's still good).

. . . . . .

Teambuilding
I find it kind of funny how it took all of five minutes to build this team, but it ended up being so successful. Don't get me wrong, it's not like I just threw six Pokemon in the teambuilder and saw what happened, but the Pokemon just popped into my head one after another. What can I say, I guess I sorta have a gift.

PU stall is nothing without Audino, so that's where I started.

Clefairy is something that has definitely seen a drop in usage lately, but it fits this team really well. Along with a Fighting resist, I needed Stealth Rock and a check to things like SubWisp Rotom and Shell Smash Gorebyss, so Clefairy was added.

Next, I needed a physical blanket check, and while I thought about using Tangela, I decided on Gourgeist because of its ability to spinblock on all of the spinners except Cryogonal really, and because Tangela left me vulnerable to some setup sweepers such as SubSD Bouffalant and Taunt Fraxure, I chose Gourgeist-XL.

At this point I was disgustingly weak to Monferno, and I needed a better check for Fire-types like Simisear and Ninetales as well as some mixed wallbreakers like Simisage, so Altaria was added.

Roselia was super annoying at this point and I knew I needed a spinner, therefore I added Cryogonal. Not only is Cryogonal just a reliable spinner overall, but it makes for a third Rotom-F check as well as a faster Pokemon that's capable of revenge killing if need be.

Gourgeist-XL was my only Normal check at this point, and since it loses to Dodrio, I added Golem to cover that. Golem is also really nice as a Volt Switch absorber making VoltTurn a lot less annoying.

. . . . . .

In-Depth

Audino @ Leftovers | Regenerator
248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe | Careful
Wish / Protect / Knock Off / Encore

Though it faces competition from Lickilicky, Audino is by far the tier's best cleric, mainly thanks to Regenerator, but also moves such as Encore and Thunder Wave. The set is pretty standard overall, and honestly can just 6-0 some unprepared teams thanks to its solid bulk and Regenerator as well as Knock Off to cripple opponents and Encore to prevent free setup.

Audino was an easy choice for the team, and it has to be the nicest glue ever, being able to check an insane amount of Pokemon like Floatzel, Cryogonal, etc. I decided on Encore in the last moveslot based on some of the biggest threats to stall in bulky Magic Guard sweepers like Duosion and bulky RestTalk users like Klang. Use Knock Off early in the game to get rid of your opponent's items, making them easier to stall out throughout battles, and always use Protect to scout for random lures.

Clefairy @ Eviolite | Magic Guard
248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD | Calm
Stealth Rock / Moonblast / Thunder Wave / Softboiled

Clefairy is something that has seen a lot less usage since the days of the ClefTang meme, and probably for good reason, since the meta has shifted towards offense and balance. However, Magic Guard is really nice right now with things like Toxic Spikes and Pokemon such as Stunfisk being so popular, so Clefairy is honestly a great choice on stall.

I chose Clefairy mainly because I wanted something that could switch into status moves that I wouldn't have to heal up later, as well as something that could freely switch into hazards without worry. Therefore, Clefairy is my counter to any Rotom-F set besides Trick Scarf, and my second blanket for special attackers like Regice and Gorebyss. When using this thing, you can basically spam Thunder Wave at will since you beat all of the more common Electric-types and you have Gourgeist-XL for Ground-types, though if you're facing something bulkier like an opposing Audino, it's best to get off a Toxic or Will-O-Wisp on it instead.

Gourgeist-XL @ Leftovers | Frisk
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe | Impish
Foul Play / Seed Bomb / Will-O-Wisp / Synthesis

With Machoke being so common now and so hard to switch into, Gourgeist-XL isn't used enough, as it's pretty much the most reliable counter in the tier, being able to take hits like it's nothing, outspeed, and heal back up with Synthesis. On top of that, Gourgeist-XL is also a really solid blanket check to a ton of physical attackers in general, namely Golem, Bouffalant, and Ursaring.

Like I said in my teambuilding process, I was choosing either Gourgeist-XL or Tangela, and after remembering this could also counter Machoke, Gourgeist-XL was an easy choice. With Golem being so prevalent now, and my team being so weak to it otherwise, Gourgeist-XL is really important for the team to take on common matchups, so make sure to constantly use Synthesis and pass Wishes to it to keep it healthy.​

Altaria @ Leftovers | Natural Cure
248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe | Bold
Dragon Pulse / Fire Blast / Roost / Heal Bell

I've always been a huge fan of Altaria ever since it dropped back to PU, and it's such a great Pokemon thanks to its versatility, bulk, and ability in Natural Cure. Dragon / Flying typing offers a lot of resistances to threatening Pokemon that people don't ever bring enough checks for, namely Simisear and Simisage.

Since the first three Pokemon on the team lose to +2 Monferno, and struggle a lot with Pokemon such as Ninetales as Simisage and Simisear, Altaria was a pretty easy add for the team. Because I'm not running Heal Bell on Audino, I needed it on something, and it fit Altaria perfectly. I decided to pass up Toxic, Haze, and Roar, as Fire Blast is needed for Pawniard and Dragon Pulse is needed to beat Fire-types. You can use Flamethrower over Fire Blast as it's also capable of 2HKOing Pawniard, but I decided on Fire Blast because of its ability to KO Pawniard after a bit of prior damage as well as the noticeable difference in damage on offensive Roselia.

Cryogonal @ Leftovers | Levitate
224 HP / 32 Def / 252 Spe | Timid
Freeze-Dry / Hidden Power [Fighting] / Recover / Rapid Spin

The addition of Cryogonal to PU was honestly the best thing that's happened to the tier in awhile, especially with the recent departure of Pelipper. Something relatively strong that can reliably switch into and take on Roselia, recover off health, and spin is so nice, as the tier finally isn't completely overloaded with spikestack. On top of this, Cryogonal is a very strong check to Rotom-F, something that was beginning to look broken before the most recent tier shift, but now is controlled by what Cryogonal has brought to the tier.

I decided on bulky Cryogonal for obvious reasons, mainly because all of the other spinners suck or are just bad on stall. The EV spread is one given to me by trc, one that maintains the ability to speed tie with opposing base 105s, while also take on Pokemon such as Rotom-F and Stunfisk without trouble. The 32 Defense EVs allows Cryogonal to take Pawniard's Sucker Punch after Stealth Rock, allowing for an easy OHKO with HP Fighting or a chance to get off a Rapid Spin to clear hazards.​

Golem @ Leftovers | Sturdy
248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD | Careful
Earthquake / Rock Blast / Toxic / Protect

Golem is another Pokemon who has gotten better with recent tier shifts, namely the banning of Exeggutor and Vigoroth, the former of which countered Golem and the latter used Golem as petty setup fodder. Despite its 4x weakness to Water- and Grass-type moves, Golem's typing is really good for PU, as it can check top-tier threats such as Stoutland, Zebstrika, and Arbok with ease, making it a really easy choice for the team.

With the first five Pokemon of the team set and done, Dodrio could basically come in and get a kill, so I knew I needed something for that. At first I was going to go with Stunfisk, but I also wanted another check to Stoutland, which was super annoying at this point once Gourgeist-XL was weakened. The Electric immunity is really helpful for the team since it's able to discourage the use of Volt Switch, sort of neutering VoltTurn.

. . . . . .

Threatlist
Because the main point of stall is to cover every threat in the tier you possibly can, there honestly aren't that many threats to the team, mainly just annoying Pokemon, so I'll tell you what you should look out for.
Pawniard: Pawniard is a threat to the team in a wierd sort of way. The only thing it can reliably set up on is Clefairy, which paralyzes it, making it much easier for Altaria to beat it. While I'm pretty weak to it if it gets to +2, it honestly has trouble setting up, so it usually isn't too much of a problem, unless you miss Fire Blast with Altaria.

Magic Guard Sweepers: Things like Calm Mind + Acid Armor Duosion and CM Clefairy can be really annoying for the team. You can neutralize them with Audino's Encore, but they're super annoying to kill.

Gorebyss & Huntail: These two can be really annoying for the team, especially Life Orb sets. To beat +2 Modest Life Orb Gorebyss, Clefairy has to be at 100% to live and get a Thunder Wave off, or you're forced to sack Audino in order to Encore it into a move that can't beat you. As for Huntail, don't let it set up. It's a good thing like nobody uses it.

. . . . . .
Conclusion
So there's the team. I hope you all enjoy stealing it and annoying the hell out of people on ladder or wherever it is. Despite me resigning from my PU moderator position for a grand total of like two days, I can honestly say I'm really enjoying the tier right now, and I hope this team can help you get into the tier as well. So goodbye.
Close friends - Anty galbia 2xTheTap Magnemite Sir Kay Megazard Raiza gasquakee TONE114 GeneralAnnoyance RawMelon Tect Optical Real Raseri - Thank you for dealing with me when I'm being stupid, that's what real friends are for.

All my PU buds who are friends but not quite as close - Dell -Grim scorpdestroyer trc Al'Akir cityfolk Jetpack MaroGod ShuckleDeath Anonymous Man dodmen HJAD ManOfMany Montsegur PTF Robert Alfons Thisbemyalt Twix WhiteDMist Ranbu No Melody zdrup15 - You guys are pretty cool and really what make PU fun. Thank you.

NU friends - Disjunction Zebraiken boltsandbombers Deej Dy iplaytennislol Jarii marilli Pokedots Realistic Waters Shaneghoul Silver Aurum Stoned M&M Kiyo lolbro Teddeh Syncrasy - You guys are all super nice and you run an awesome tier. It's been a pleasure to have talked to all of you.

Miscellaneous friends - Ajna Feliburn Natural Talent thecrystalonix aoemica Arifeen Killintime R0ady Lord Death Man mad0ka rozes slurmz Rhythms ajernejcic Confide. gobosox gorex Irraquated Terrakion. Joshz Krauersaut - You guys are really cool and I haven't talked to some of you in a long time and some of you died, so un-die.

Cool GP people - The Dutch Plumberjack P Squared - You guys are my go-to for a reason, keep it up :D

Special shoutout to tehy because I know he's going to use the hell out of this team.

Super special shoutout to Tom Bus because you're really an awesome guy and I miss talking to you, but you've done the impossible and quit Pokemon, which you should be proud of (but pls come back).

Sorry if I forgot anybody.

Also if anybody cares a topped the ladder with the team too.

:toast: Importable :toast:
. . . . . .

Last edited:
You arent a close friend either than

And now i gotta CT another dundies team :( why do you keep doing this to me i only have so much time to build normally

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
That's a pretty nice team, but you could improve it by using tangela over Gourgeist, forming the tangclef core, which has no weaknesses and is the best ;-)

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Im not your friend yo

Nice team, definitely a solid stall build which I didn't expect till I played you and trc. The biggest weaknesses seem to be (outside of your threatlist), HP grass krow, as you either have to risk golem or altaria and one of those going down could open big holes, hazard stack, although cryo is good at stopping this quill stops it from coming in and if the opponent plays the game well then cryo cant spin, SD PJab Fraxure (not as common but really good), and rare stuff like nastypass hypno which you never will rarely see (additionally marowak/ramp are annoying). Also the team isnt dependant on some sort of trapinch trappable Pokemon, though pursuit murkrow could be annoying as Gourgeist is your no1 check to a lot of physical attackers, but those attackers also like coming in on audino so passing a wish shouldnt be too problematic. A set up sweeper could help your team too.

You could try Klang over Golem, to give you a tank sweeper, as I dont think an electric resist is required on this team tbh outside of baiting something that tries to double switch. The biggest issue is that it weakens your matchup vs Arbok, but Gourgeist can w/ Willowisp and Altaria/Klang can also check it. Klang also gives your team a nicer matchup vs random Taunt Kadabra and can reliably switch into HP Grass Krow, and can even outstall bulky sweepers like Clefairy and even AA Duosion as Gear Grind has two chances to crit. It also gives you another sub rotom check if your others get frozen!!

Not much more to say as its a solid team

Klang @ Eviolite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

you could run more def on this if your afraid of arbok though you need like 240 to avoid the 2HKO from +1 adamant eq

Hi Dundies you made a nice team,but your stall is quite weak to Subs NP Ninetales I wouldn't change the structure at all, I would only change the moves.
Stealth Rock>Protect/Toxic on Golem
Heal Bell>Stealth Rock on Clefairy
Roar>Heal Bell on Altaria
Altaria is quite weak and is setup bait to Byss, so if your Clefairy is a bit weakened you lose the game.

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey, Dundies - nice stall team. Also, I was the one who innovated Choice Scarf Gabite. :toast: (E: nerds didn't get this was a joke, smh)

So, I've been testing this team a bit before giving it a full rate, and for me its biggest issue before looking at its weaknesses fully was the notion that it didn't actually possess a win condition. You could re-work the team very slightly to include something like this by using bulky DD Altaria, CM Clefairy, or Anty's Klang over Golem for example, with moving around the utility moves you've provided on each of these in the way Ranbu No Melody mentioned. (SR on Golem, CM Clef or DD Altaria, with Heal Bell on whichever Pokemon isn't your win condition).

Roar would also be a nice addition on Golem or Altaria in order to improve your matchup against annoying Magic Guard Sweepers and setup sweepers in general, if you weren't satisfied with neutralizing them with Audino's Encore and Clefairy's Thunder Wave. You also highlighted Pawniard in your threatlist, but I think your team handles it competently enough with Altaria checking it with Fire Blast and Golem with Earthquake (by the way, if you wanted to OHKO Pawniard with Golem 100% of the time without prior damage, you'd only have to invest 32 Atk EVs. And on the subject of Golem, nearly uninvested Rock Blast is pretty weak and unreliable for killing the things Golem normally beats, so I'd use Stone Edge instead).

(Optional) --> 32 EVs instead of 16, to OHKO Pawniard 100% of the time without prior damage
(if using CM Clefairy) Toxic or Protect --> SR
Rock Blast --> Stone Edge

Gorebyss and Huntail are pretty potent against this team, though. Pokemon with Water- + Ice-type coverage in general really threaten this team I've been finding, as standard Gourgeist-XL is rarely enough to stand up to other physical attackers while also addressing threats like physical Floatzel and mixed Huntail. For this reason, I'm going to suggest Yache Berry over Leftovers on Gourgeist-XL. This makes it so Gourgeist isn't pressured to stay above 84.1% HP in order to avoid the 2HKO from Floatzel's Banded Ice Punch after SR damage.

252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Gourgeist-Super: 134-158 (35.9 - 42.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (needs to be above 84% to live)
-->
252 Atk Choice Band Floatzel Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 67-79 (17.9 - 21.1%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

Floatzel in particular is quite annoying, as physical is able to beat every member save Gourgeist-XL, with its special variant beating Gourgeist-XL. Obviously Floatzel is not going to 6-0 you as it can't run both spreads, but a Yache Berry would let you survive no matter its spread and strike back with a STAB Seed Bomb (also useful in other encounters with offensive Water-types), which would in my opinion alleviate some of the offensive pressure on the other members of your team. You could also use a very small investment in Attack (24 Atk EVs) to OHKO Simipour with Seed Bomb after SR, though that's optional:

+2 252+ SpA Gorebyss Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 246-290 (65.9 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+2 4 SpA Life Orb Huntail Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 200-237 (53.6 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Life Orb Simipour Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Yache Berry Gourgeist-Super: 133-156 (35.6 - 41.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Leftovers --> Yache Berry
(Optional) --> 24 Atk EVs to OHKO Simipour when SR is up with Seed Bomb

There are a few other threats that pressure the hell out of this team, including, but not limited to: SD Yache Leafeon, Taunt Colbur Grumpig, and Misdreavus. The latter two can sort of be handled by Knock Off Audino / Foul Play on Geist if you play well, but SD Leafeon is something this team really struggles to beat. That, coupled with the fact Altaria is being stretched thin to check Pawniard / beat Monferno / beat Leafeon all at the same time means that you could try an offensive set with Cotton Guard. It sounds a bit strange, but it'd definitely help you against Monferno, as its +2 CC / FB after SR is already 2HKOing you and you can't do much back with just an uninvested Dragon Pulse.

(Optional) --> Cotton Guard offensive set

Alternatively, your own defensive Monferno could help you out against opposing Pawniard / Leafeon, and you could use Grumpig elsewhere to check Monferno (which is something your Altaria doesn't do). Then, Grumpig adds a Ghost and Dark weakness with Gourgeist-XL, so you could opt out for Tangela instead (which beats Stoutland), making the team look like this or something similar after all the replacements are done: Defensive Monferno / Audino / Grumpig / Tangela or Quilladin / Stunfisk / Cryogonal.

Anyway, this is getting too long lol. Stall is hard to build well such that it addresses the whole meta, but I think you did a nice job, as it took some extra thought to find any weaknesses.

Last edited:

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
Again, really nice team Dundies. How do I get out of the not-so-close friendzone? :(

One of the things I noticed for your team weakness are random Nasty Plot users, like Missy, Ninetales, and Raichu. Missy sets up a Nasty Plot with ease and if it has Taunt the most thing you can do with it is only a weak Knock Off from Audino (2HKOd by +2 HP fighting.) Lefties Ninetales with Substitute can't even be paralyzed and weak Knock Off and Dragon Pulse from Alt again don't do much.

Therefore, just like Ranbu, I suggest:

Heal Bell -> Haze/Roar on Altaria
Stealth Rock -> Heal Bell on Clefairy
Protect -> Stealth Rock on Golem.

This also has the added benefit of taking on SD Monferno and SD Pawn better, because they can tank a Dpulse/Fire Blast respectively and punch holes through your team.

Also another thing you are weak to is Toxic Spikes Roselia + Pursuit (especially Pursuit Dusknoir), cause Cryo hates Pursuit. Therefore, an even bulkier spread on Cryo may be nice, you don't really need the speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)