National Dex sunday (ag)

Chloe

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NUPL Champion

[:kyogre::rayquaza-mega::necrozma-dusk-mane::tyranitar::arceus::groudon-primal:]
sunday
peaked 2023, 1st place
sword & shield national dex ag

introduction
Henlo and welcome to my sixth RMT, which will focus on the National Dex AG metagame. This team has shown me success repeatedly in tournaments, on ladder and has been a pioneering force for the popularity of Dynamax Kyogre. This team specifically, is responsible for the popularity of Life Orb Kyogre. The team was specifically built to face Staxi in Round 3 of AGLT Playoffs, which i won, but it went on to face later success. I've decided to RMT this team today, and not at 2000 posts like I initially planned, due to the fact that Hidden Power Dynamax BP is changing soon on main server, which would be incredibly detrimental to this team. As of this post, this team is viable in the current metagame, and while this may not, and likely will not change come the BP change, I'd like to post it now while it's representative of the meta.

teambuilding
:kyogre:

Thimo and I were discussing potential Dynamax wallbreakers and sweepers, when we arrived on Calm Mind Life Orb Kyogre. There were two sets I was responsible for popularising. A Timid Hidden Power Flying sweeper set and a Modest Hidden Power Ground wallbreaker Kyogre. The former, after a Max Airstream, was able to outspeed Crowned Zacian and then pleasantly stroll through teams. The latter, OHKO'd Primal Groudon, 2HKO'd chansey, and had no common reliable switchins after a single boost. I decided to build the team around the latter, as I didn't think the Hidden Power Flying set was as reliable a win condition. The wallbreaker set seemed more enticing on paper at the time.

:kyogre::rayquaza-mega:

I followed the wallbreaker Kyogre with a Choice Band Mega Rayquaza. It provided a way to bust through Ferrothorn easily, which Kyogre could only 2HKO. In addition to easing Calm Mind Water Arceus. Choice Band Mega Rayquaza was incredibly beneficial due to the lack of competent switchins, especially with the majority of the metagame's Tyranitar's being Specially Defensive and the lack of Rock Arceus and Lugia at the time. A large amount of teams rely on Dynamax Dusk Mane Necrozma to check Mega Rayquaza, which eases Kyogre's job later on given you can force this Dynamax. If you can't, Mega Rayquaza is still an extremely potent wallbreaker, OHKOing the majority of the metagame.

:kyogre::rayquaza-mega::necrozma-dusk-mane:

Next was Dusk Mane Necrozma, which complimented Mega Rayquaza well. It's able to sponge Fairy-, Ice- and Dragon-type attacks rather easily, it's the most reliable check (bar Quagsire) to Crowned Zacian. It also gave the team a much needed check to Xerneas. Dusk Mane is a borderline requirement in National Dex AG, with a whopping 80% tournament usage. The ability to check Crowned Zacian so well, on top of everything else it can do, is marvelous and unmatched by any other Pokemon.

:kyogre::rayquaza-mega::necrozma-dusk-mane::tyranitar:

Tyranitar shortly followed. Primarily it gave the team an Yveltal "counter", but it also provided a solid check to Mega Rayquaza, a Stealth Rock user, importantly removed Shedinja for Kyogre and an Eternatus check (even if expanded on by later Pokemon). I opted for a physically defensive set, in order to adequately take on Mega Rayquaza, but specially defensive is equally justifiable if you find yourself letting it take chip early on and not acting as a sufficient Yveltal check. I find physically defensive to be better for reasons I will elaborate on in the in-depth summary.

:kyogre::rayquaza-mega::necrozma-dusk-mane::tyranitar::arceus:

Support Ground Arceus gave the team a solid answer to Primal Groudon, other than Mega Rayquaza which knowingly would take too much chip on switch-in. It also enabled the team to deal with Zygarde a whole lot better. Also helps the team deal with Dusk Mane Necrozma, Zekrom and switch-in to arbitrary physical attackers that plague the tier. Overall an amazing glue Pokemon that really benefits any team it's on.

:kyogre::rayquaza-mega::necrozma-dusk-mane::tyranitar::arceus::groudon-primal:
Specially Defensive Primal Groudon rounds out the team as an answer to Kyogre (both Primal and regular), and a counter to Calm Mind Water Arceus which would otherwise go ham on the team. It's also a decent tank for special hits, and absorbs one +2 Max Starfall from Xerneas, if Dynamaxing Dusk Mane to check it seems like a bad play. Generally, just a good addition overall. Also takes pressure of the sponge that is Ground Arceus by tanking and dishing out similar hits.

in-depth

:sm/kyogre:
kyogre @ life orb | drizzle
252 spa / 4 spd / 252 spe | modest | 0 atk ivs
calm mind
origin pulse
ice beam
hidden power ground

The ace of the team, Kyogre is one of the best wallbreakers in the tier. Being able to break through Chansey after a single Calm Mind is incredibly showing of how powerful this behemoth is. Calm Mind boosts Kyogre's Special Attack to a level that Pokemon like Chansey, Ferrothorn, Primal Groudon and Water Arceus are no longer capable of walling. Origin Pulse is Kyogre's strongest attack, a more accurate Hydro Pump that doesn't decrease BP after Life Orb recoil or opposing chip. Ice Beam gives Kyogre a way to get through Dragon- and Grass-types that would take less from Origin Pulse-based Max Geyser. Hidden Power Ground OHKOs all Primal Groudon at +1. An important note for facing Chansey, if you expect the opponent to attempt to Soft-Boiled stall versus Dynamax you can Calm Mind again. This is a bad play on the opponents part but it's one they can make.

Alternative options for this set include running Water Spout over Origin Pulse, which would increase Dynamax Max Geyser BP slightly, but this is rarely ever worth it due to being significantly worse on Life Orb Kyogre than Origin Pulse as a base move. Hidden Power Flying and a Timid Nature can be run if you find Mega Rayquaza to be enough breaking power, or that with the incoming Hidden Power BP nerf, the wallbreaker set isn't as strong. Another option post BP nerf is running Thunder over Hidden Power Ground in order to take on opposing Kyogre and Water Arceus better, while only missing out on Primal Groudon which Kyogre still beats anyway. Substitute works if you want to boost up more Calm Mind against Chansey and Ferrothorn, which would usually check Kyogre and hence are common switch-ins.

252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Origin Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Necrozma-Dusk-Mane in Rain: 398-468 (100 - 117.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Zygarde-Complete: 645-764 (101.4 - 120.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Max Geyser vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zacian-Crowned in Rain: 484-569 (148.4 - 174.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Max Quake vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 442-520 (109.4 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Max Geyser vs. 4 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 382-450 (59.5 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ SpA Life Orb Kyogre Max Geyser vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain: 352-416 (100 - 118.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

:sm/rayquaza-mega:
mega rayquaza @ choice band | delta stream
252 atk / 4 def / 252 spe | adamant
dragon ascent
v-create
extreme speed
outrage

Choice Band Mega Rayquaza is another wallbreaker with a substantial lack of switch-ins. Dragon Ascent is required for Mega Evolution but is also its strongest attack, tied BP with V-create and Outrage, but without drawbacks as substantial as those. Other than Steel-types like Dusk Mane Necrozma and Crowned Zacian, it breaks everything in the game. V-create can beat these pesky Steel-types, while being just as strong as Dragon Ascent. Extreme Speed from Choice Band is one of the strongest priority attacks in the game for an unboosted Pokemon, allowing Mega Rayquaza to get the team out of some sticky situations. Outrage is specifically for Zygarde-Complete which may attempt to switch-in, but otherwise doesn't see too much use. It's mostly here due to Mega Rayquaza only needing the other three moves. That being said beating Complete Zygarde is relevant in itself. Mega Rayquaza, while it has fallen off somewhat since Generation 7, is still the potent force it always was.

252+ Atk Choice Band Rayquaza-Mega V-create vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 376-444 (94.4 - 111.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Groudon-Primal: 240-283 (59.4 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 244+ Def Arceus-Ground: 262-310 (59.1 - 69.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Rayquaza-Mega Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde-Complete: 522-614 (82 - 96.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:sm/necrozma-dusk-mane:
dusk mane necrozma @ rocky helmet | prism armor
252 hp / 252 def / 4 spe | impish
sunsteel strike
toxic
thunder wave
moonlight

Dusk Mane Necrozma is one of the best defensive / utility Pokemon in the tier, being able to switch-in to a plethora of attacks. Sunsteel Strike is Dusk Mane Necrozma's best attacking option, being its most powerful reliable attack. It also boosts Defense up via Dynamax and allows it to take on potent offensive threats such as V-create Mega Rayquaza and Xerneas fairly well while in this state. Toxic prevents free switch-ins from Primal Groudon, as well as statusing Ho-Oh so that Ground Arceus can force it out via spamming Refresh. Thunder Wave gives the team minimal speed control, nailing certain switch-ins, and allowing Kyogre and Rayquaza to have a fun time later. Moonlight is Necrozma's way of recovery, it does the exact same thing as Morning Sun, but is cooler. The EVs could be exchanged for 144 Def / 112 Spe in order to outspeed Crowned Zacian post Thunder Wave, but this doesn't allow it to check it anywhere near as well, then falling to two Adamant Close Combats some of the time. You can opt to run Heavy-Duty Boots on Necrozma if Assurance Zacian-C picks up in popularity, for now I'd say it's not worth it.

+1 252+ Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 160-189 (40.2 - 47.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 126-148 (31.6 - 37.1%) -- 79.5% chance to 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Prism Armor Necrozma-Dusk-Mane: 166-197 (41.7 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:sm/tyranitar:
tyranitar @ shuca berry | sand stream
252 hp / 252 def / 4 spd | impish
rock tomb
foul play
stealth rock
rest

Tyranitar is a great Mega Rayquaza & Yveltal check, taking minimal damage from Dragon Ascent and both of Yveltal's STAB attacks. Tyranitar opts for a physically defensive set here with Shuca Berry to effectively check Mega Rayquaza, without using up Dynamax on Dusk Mane, which would impair Kyogre's efficiency. While it isn't perfect by any means, it's one of the better checks in the game. Rock Tomb is Tyranitar's way of preventing Max Airstream accumulation on Yveltal's end while also providing nice support by impairing switch-ins. Foul Play allows it to beat Mega Rayquaza, as well as nailing potential Zacian-C and Necrozma-DM as they come in. Stealth Rock, while no longer nailing Ho-Oh due to Heavy Duty Boots is still amazing in National Dex AG. Rest allows Tyranitar to have longevity and last longer throughout the match, even after Yveltal has had its way with it. As I mentioned earlier, Tyranitar is paramount in removing Shedinja from ShedStall, in order for Kyogre to do substantial damage against those teams.

252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Dragon Ascent vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tyranitar: 121-143 (29.9 - 35.3%) -- 23.3% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Rayquaza-Mega Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuca Berry Tyranitar: 134-159 (33.1 - 39.3%) -- 99.9% chance to 3HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 82-97 (20.2 - 24%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Max Darkness vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 135-160 (33.4 - 39.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

:sm/arceus-ground:
ground arceus @ earth plate | multitype
248 hp / 132 def / 128 spe | bold | 0 atk ivs
judgment
ice beam
defog
recover

Ground Arceus is one of the best sponges in the metagame, taking pretty much any physical hit well. Its ability to wall most Zygarde-C and Primal Groudon sets is amazing, and cannot be understated. Judgment is its main way of doing damage, super-effectively hitting Primal Groudon, Necrozma-DM and Zacian-C. Ice Beam allows Ground Arceus to do substantial damage to both Zygarde-C and Mega Rayquaza, which would otherwise shrug off and evade Judgment respectively. Defog has been slotted onto Arceus over Refresh, due to the teams lack of removal otherwise. Recover allows Arceus to gain its health back, you know what Recover does. The EVs allow Arceus to outspeed max Speed Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, Zekrom, Ho-Oh, and other base 90s; with the remainder of the EVs being slotted into bulk.

0 Atk Groudon-Primal Precipice Blades vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Ground: 151-178 (34 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
216+ Atk Zygarde-Complete Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Ground: 93-109 (20.9 - 24.6%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252 Atk Necrozma-Dusk-Mane Sunsteel Strike vs. 248 HP / 132+ Def Arceus-Ground: 132-156 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 14.8% chance to 3HKO

:sm/groudon-primal:
primal groudon @ red orb | desolate land
248 hp / 240 spd / 20 spe | careful
precipice blades
thunder wave
rest
sleep talk

Primal Groudon finishes the team as an answer to both Primal and regular Kyogre and a counter to Calm Mind Water Arceus which would otherwise go ham on the team. It's also a decent special tank, and absorbs one +2 Max Starfall from Xerneas, if Dynamaxing Dusk Mane to check it seems like a bad play. Precipice Blades is Primal Groudon's main way of doing damage, still dishing out massive damage with no investment whatsoever. Thunder Wave allows Primal Groudon to peg certain switch-ins like Mega Rayquaza and Yveltal. Rest and Sleep Talk allow Primal Groudon both the longevity recovery provides but also the ability to not be passive while asleep. The ability to peg incoming set-up sweepers with Thunder Wave while asleep shouldn't be understated. The EVs are just max special bulk with minimal speed creep.

252+ SpA Kyogre-Primal Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Groudon-Primal: 107-127 (26.5 - 31.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
+1 252 Atk Zacian-Crowned Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 159-188 (39.4 - 46.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Groudon-Primal: 45-53 (11.1 - 13.1%) -- possible 8HKO

threats
:arceus:(ground)
Calm Mind Ground Arceus can prove hard to deal with. Generally, this will require playing extra well with Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza. Swords Dance Ground Arceus is a similar case, but not to the same extent.
:xerneas:
Even though the team does have Xerneas counterplay in Necrozma-DM and Primal Groudon, it usually forces Dynamax and removes the ability to Dynamax Kyogre in the late game, hence substantially weaking wallbreaking power.
:kyogre:
If they bring my Kyogre set, you're in a bit of trouble. As I said nothing reliably walls it. It can be outplayed with Mega Rayquaza + using Primal Groudon to waste Dynamax turns, but if they get it right you're in trouble.

replays

vs Staxi | AGLT Playoffs - Round 3

vs Mr.378 | AGPL - Week 3

vs Ainzcrad | AG Fall Seasonal - Round 7

importable
Click here!

shoutouts
As this was going to be my 2k, I'm gonna tag everyone who's made my time on this site just a little better. Thank you to all of you. If I forgot you, I'm really sorry!
Djokra Meri Berry kaori anime sans vivalospride Lilburr kjdaas GL Volkner Pigeons Milkshook Tack :] Kit Kasai TheCoastsOfToast Thimo Nat yogi LordST dream Mahmudkipz Alexender The Dutch Plumberjack SBPC Specs dibs Marjane keppy Jett Lasen Perish Song Felucia PTF Aurora termi umbreon098 TJ MZ Taskr pichus Icemaster BaconEatinAssassin Ktütverde DonnotheFirst GRNBLN lotiasite Zenithial Zayele Skarph Guard Bread Sandwich Unicorns Catalystic HunterStorm PurpleGatorade Enzo Gorlami Staxi thelinearcurve Gmansour20 MAMP Uselesscrab wishes starry blanket Snaquaza SpartanMalice Chopin Alkaninoff OM E4 Flint xavgb nv drampa's grandpa SectoniaServant pileosand Ransei The Immortal Piccolo Daimao Aurella berry Andyboy highlighter In The Hills Klang Sylveon. aesf London13 asa Jayi KennedyLFC heatvice Flaming Deoxys Kris Akir 2xTheTap ShuckleDeath HJAD Zesty43 cromagnet TONE uhuhuhu7 Ashley Juno Amane Misa Jmash Eve Aeonic aVocado Betathunder Brandon Bondie DoW DEG EviGaro peach Peef Rimgar Kie nui LPY czim lost heros lyd Stoward martha M'joe'ra PinkDragonTamer Clefable power Racool Rory Mercury rozes Sage Shiba gum tysequaine Alore perfect minun GonxKillua InfernapeTropius11 Chazm Jrdn faded love mc56556 MultiAmmiratore willdbeast Euphonos Monsareeasy Gurpreet Patel (Sent you a Friend Request) a loser Sitonai motherlove Amoonguss Jho Jordy p0ip0le Zovrah Baleblaze Skysolo LaBalladeDesCieux Ishtarrr

conclusion
This team is named well, as this RMT took me almost all of Sunday to write. Thank you for reading! I don't think I'll be participating much in National Dex AG, after the conclusion of AGPL; however, I plan to return when it reverts to a standard format. That being said, thanks to everyone who has made the last (ALMOST) 2000 posts a fun time! See ya o/​

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)