SM UU 4 year hiatus, we gon' party like its Gen IV OU (Offensive Momentum)

Introduction

This team started because I played a decent amount on Smogon in Gen IV and haven't played the newer Gen Pokemon games as extensively. I realized that I didn't have a good grasp on the current OU metagame because of so many new and powerful Pokemon that I didn't know much about and it was hard to get a foothold when you didn't know things like, what coverage moves does this Pokemon get, is this a setup sweeper that you can't afford a mistimed switch on? I realized Gen VII UU looked a lot like Gen IV OU, a metagame I played the most back in the day. So I wanted to dip my toes in there.

Teambuilding Process

I started this team with Togekiss, mostly because of fond memories of using it in Gen IV. I also knew it got upgraded to Fairy typing as well. I originally started with a Bulky Nasty Plot Set, and eventually moved onto a more offensive version running Focus Blast for coverage on Krookodile, the Choice Scarf version of which was absolutely bodying me. This is where I started

Next I literally just used Smogon Analysis to look for good partners. I wanted an offensive team because as an inexperienced player I figured it was better to ask questions rather than answer them. Infernape fit the bill as an offensive fire type to help against the Steels that might check Togekiss.

Next I looked for overlapping synergies between my first 2 picks. Togekiss wanted hazard removal, and Infernape wanted something that could check water types, Starmie fit the bill. I also love Starmie as a mon, very versatile, it can also be my Z-Crystal user, as the other Z-Crystal sets for other Pokemon didn't fit what I wanted. Scizor was the beast of Gen IV OU. It synergized well with Infernape and Togekiss, being able to come in and trap threats like Latias and Starmie that threatened Infernape, and switch in on poison moves lobbed at Togekiss and U-turn allowed free switches to Starmie to threaten Z-Water Stab on fire types trying to nail Scizor.

At this point I didn't have a Mega. Looking back for synergies I needed a check to fliers to help Infernape and an Electric immunity/resist was also useful for Starmie. I didn't plan on using U-Turn on Infernape, opting to go for an old school mixed life orb attacker, so a Volt/Turn user that could help Scizor maintain momentum was useful as well. Mega Manectric fit the bill and was a fast attacker worked well on this offensive team.

None of my Pokemon could setup Rocks, and given that this was an old Gen IV inspired team in the days before team preview I decided on an old school dedicated lead, Azelf. Its certainly weaker with team preview, but it does its 1 job very well get up Rocks to allow me to get more OHKOs and 2HKOs with my high momentum team.

After playing with the team for a while I was getting annoyed. I had a hard time with Scarf Krookodile and Opposing Mega Manetric. Togekiss was a weak link. Supposed to help with the former, but often took a Knock off to the face on the switchin, rendering it useless. It also got tagged hard by a lot of opposing Dragons coverage moves despite having an on paper good matchup. I also had no resists for Manetric besides my own, relying on predicting an Electric attack correctly, and winning some speed ties with Overheat, not great. I was going to try to find a replacement.

I still needed a Ground resist, But also wanted an Electric Resist to take pressure of Manectric. I also wanted something that could potentially deal with something like a Calm Mind Latias with a fire move to cover Scizor. Something like Gligar didn't have enough Offensive pressure. I looked to the RU tier to find just the Pokemon, Flygon. Specifically a Choice Scarf set. It has improved my teams performance by a decent amount despite being RU.

The Team

Old School (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Knock Off
This is a dedicated Suicide lead for this throwback team. Designed to do 1 things. Setup Rocks. Since we have these other moveslots lying around, Taunt is there to stop opposing entry Hazards (Especially Stickyweb leads). Lastly, it explodes in your face. Knock off is in case you suspect a Ghost Switch in, or another resist and want to make good on your focus sash before dying. Pretty Standard Stuff. I'm still learning how to play with Azelf with team Preview. Its hard to think of when NOT to lead Azelf. With Team preview a lot Pokemon have good lead Matchups vs Azelf, Choice Scarf Users, Priority Users, Magic Bouncers etc. Knowing when to lead with someone else, knowing when to hard switch out of a bad matchup, knowing when to Taunt vs SR on turn 1, and knowing when to attempt to save Azelf to Explode LATER rather than just immediately is things I need to work on. For now if I can make it 5v5 and I have Rocks up and you don't, I'll consider it a success.

2-D (Infernape) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Gunk Shot
Mixed Ape was a great Gen IV threat, and here in UU it can reprieve its role. I don't like Infernape as a Scarfer because I prefer to have a Scarfer with an immunity or very good resists and also because Life Orb lets Infernape hit like a truck. Nothing really wants to take a Neutral Close Combat to the face on the switch so be careful switching in your bulky Fire resists. I really wanted Mach Punch to finish off some weakened threats I couldn't OHKO earlier, so I opted for Gunk Shot over Grass Knot for coverage on Fairy types, such as Mega Altaria, who will sometimes switch in on a resisted Fighting or Fire Move, in an attempt to Mega Evolve and Dragon Dance, Getting OHKOd 100% of the time after Stealth Rock. I also have other options for Swampert and Bulky Waters and didn't feel Grass Knot was needed.

Noisy Cricket (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit
The King of Gen IV OU, Scizor is an incredible Pokemon on offensive teams. I opted for the Pursuit version to Punish Scarf Latias, Although scouting for HP Fire is very important and opposing Starmies. U-Turn as always combos with Flygon and Manectric to Chip away at 'mons with SR damage and get good offensive momentum going. Doing more research I may want to modify the spread to either under speed other Banded Scizor for slower U-Turn or run a spread with a bit more bulk to better come in on resisted/neutral moves and avoid taking too much damage.

Sanic (Manectric) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Mega Manectric has been a solid member of the team. Volt Switch takes advantage of the 2 other U-Turn users on the team to keep momentum going. Being able to absorb Electric attacks thrown at Starmie and Threaten tons of Damage with Fast Neutral moves like Overheat can come in handy. Also being able to Mega and Hit intimidate lets you switch in on Bullet Punches from Scizor on full health and threaten them out. This thing is also a great bait for both Seismitoad and Swampert, its a guaranteed 2HKO on Swampert with Hidden Power Grass after SR, and 18.8% to OHKO Seismitoad after SR + Leftovers, so even if they come in on a Volt Switch you can sometimes punish by getting the sneaky OHKO on Seismitoad anyways, especially if they try to go for SR assuming you'd switch. If you can predict the switch and Manetric is at Near full health, you can actually take down a Hippowdon with SR up, assuming they don't Slack Off by 3HKOing them through Leftovers Recovery, and taking 79% max from 0 Investment Attack Earthquake.

Eurythmics (Starmie) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt (Was Rapid Spin)
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
Now, I spent all the time in the introduction talking about Rapid Spin Starmie, and you'll notice, I'm not using it. This came up after a few games of getting walled by bulky waters that I couldn't afford to let Manectric take a huge Scald to the face to check them so chunking them with Starmie Thunderbolt and forcing them to recover etc can help. Its very possible I need to go back to Rapid Spin but the set has been working. Waterium Z allows for big Chunks of Damage against even some resisted hits, allowing you to mop up with coverage moves. Psyshock 2HKOs Amoongus after SR. I may look for a bulkier set with Scald instead and possibly change Z-Crystal users, but its very solid for now.

Jade (Flygon) @ Choice Scarf (Was Togekiss)
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower
Togekiss wasn't quite doing what I wanted on this team. This team relies on relatively fast attackers who can threaten heavy damage and keep momentum up for the team. I also wanted some good resists/immunity. Having Levitate is huge for this team since we didn't have very many Ground switch ins same with Electric immunity. Having a Fire resist also helps alleviate some of the pressure on Starmie to tank all those hits. Scarf on Flygon also makes this a solid revenge killer. Able to outspeed Choice Scarf Hydregon and OHKO it with Outrage, able to switch in on Scarf Krookodile's EQs and combine with a predicted HP Grass from Manectric on the switch to 2HKO Krookodile with Superpower. The combination of this and Scizor can help me check any form of Latias, If they're scarfed, Scizor can come in on a move he resists and OHKO on the switch out with Pursuit, If they're Calm Mind, or defensive, Flygon can come in and outspeed, and OHKO. I've won many games by maneuvering all their remaining Pokemon to be outsped, and 1-2HKOd by either Outrage or Earthquake through chip damage from U-Turns and Volt Switches and Stealth Rock.

This team has been a ton of Fun to play, but its not without issues. I have a hard time with Calm Mind users that I can't safely switch in on and hit on the physical side of the spectrum, especially Suicune. Nothing on my entire team wants to switch into Mega Beedrill the best I can do is try to revenge kill it with Scizor's Bullet Punch, and attempt to wear it down with chip damage from SR. Good defensive regenerators like Alomamola and Amoongus combined can make it super hard for me to get enough chip damage from Neutral moves to break through, especially if Im being worn down by SRs and life orb damage. Sticky Web users if uncontested can make my switch ins a lot harder.

I'm up for any and all suggestions, if there are any other ideas for different coverage moves, move sets or even Pokemon, I'm all ears. I'd like to keep the team offensive. This team isn't glass cannot balls out Hyper offense, but its closer to that than a "Bulky" offensive team.

Old School (Azelf) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion
- Taunt
- Knock Off

2-D (Infernape) @ Life Orb
EVs: 168 Atk / 88 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Gunk Shot

Noisy Cricket (Scizor) @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Sanic (Manectric) @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Eurythmics (Starmie) @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam

Jade (Flygon) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey! Cool team you have here. I too used to play Gen IV OU through wifi battles and I used to love it, that was all so long ago though I barely remember shit about it lmfao. Anyways this team looks pretty standard for the most part, however one big thing is the Flygon. Flygon really isn't viable in this tier, like period. Your Hydreigon matchup w/o Togekiss is pretty bad as well and you lack removal on a team relying on pivoting to keep momentum (taking rocks damage every time you U-Turn or Volt Switch isn't fun). There are some things that can be done to fix this though, so let's see.

- This is going over Flygon because it's simply better and has great synergy with CB Scizor. Hydreigon is also a reliably ghost answer which the team needs pretty badly (mainly for chandy). Hydreigon is just better in UU than Flygon, no real reason to run Flygon here. Oh and Hydreigon is also much much more reliable at checking Mmane than Flygon is n_n.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

- Now you need a ground type to block volt switches, and I 100% believe that Mamo is the best rocker on offense because of it's high atk state + priority + an absurdly broken offensive typing. Mamoswine > Azelf makes the most sense because it blocks volt switch, keeps offensive pressure up, and sets rocks.
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

- Last but not least I'm bringing Togekiss back to put over Infernape. Togekiss is the main thing here for stall, it gives a wincon, and most importantly it makes it so you don't just take the L to Hydreigon. I went with Fight Z set here to lure shit like Empoleon and Maggron which both give you quite a bit of trouble atm.
Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

A couple of other small changes I made, I gave Starmie Rapid Spin > Ice Beam to give removal for the team and also gave it LO to keep the pressure up while freeing up the Z slot for Togekiss. I also made the Scizor spread bulkier to more reliably check shit like Latias. Other than that I'm liking the team, it has a pretty shaky Suicune matchup overall but I think it can work. Lmk if you have any questions :), gl mang.

Last edited:
I will say, I haven't had almost any problem against Hydregon, specifically because of Flygon beating it. I will certainly try out some of these suggestions, Mammo in particular looks nice over Azelf

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cool team, I have a few suggestions that may help to improve it;
  • Your main Speed control is Flygon. I do not think that it fits such an offensive team because of how dangerous it is to be locked into either Outrage or Earthquake (the former potentially grants Steel-types free turns and the latter potentially grants Levitate-users and Flying-types free turns). I changed Infernape's set from Life Orb attacker to Choice Scarf. This helps to patch up that weakness, and give you better Speed control.
  • Now that the team already has a Choice Scarf user, I replaced Hydreigon > Flygon. Hydreigon grants your team a Ghost-resist that helps the Ghost-types matchup a lot. It also gives the team some immediate breaking power after Infernape's set was changed.
  • I noticed that the team lacks a wincon at this point, so I changed Scizor's set to Bullet Punch, Bug Bite, Swords Dance, and Roost, with Life Orb. This set is really dangerous and overlooked, and this can give fatter builds a lot of troubles. Furthermore, as mentioned, the team would really appreciate a wincon.
  • You do not have a Ground-types, which makes your matchup against Electric-types pretty bad. I replaced Swampert > Azelf. Mamoswine certainly works here too, but I think that the team would really appreciate Swampert's defensive utility here, and Swampert is not that much of a momentum drain as it seems on paper. Catching threatening Dragon-types with a Toxic is really cool, too! Alternatively, an Offensive Seismitoad could fit here well too, if you're concerned about keeping offensive presence! However, because Seismitoad finds it troublesome to hit Dragon-types for super effective damage, I still recommend having Swampert > Azelf.
  • Lastly, on Starmie, Rapid Spin > Thunderbolt on Starmie helps a lot against Toxic Spikes that seem really threatening to the team due to the lack of Toxic Spikes absorber. Furthermore, this helps against hazard stacking teams in general.
/

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Toxic

OR

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

Infernape @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- U-turn
- Mach Punch

Scizor @ Life Orb
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Starmie @ Waterium Z
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

I hope that the rate helped, and feel free to ask any question!

Hey! Cool team you have here. I too used to play Gen IV OU through wifi battles and I used to love it, that was all so long ago though I barely remember shit about it lmfao. Anyways this team looks pretty standard for the most part, however one big thing is the Flygon. Flygon really isn't viable in this tier, like period. Your Hydreigon matchup w/o Togekiss is pretty bad as well and you lack removal on a team relying on pivoting to keep momentum (taking rocks damage every time you U-Turn or Volt Switch isn't fun). There are some things that can be done to fix this though, so let's see.

- This is going over Flygon because it's simply better and has great synergy with CB Scizor. Hydreigon is also a reliably ghost answer which the team needs pretty badly (mainly for chandy). Hydreigon is just better in UU than Flygon, no real reason to run Flygon here. Oh and Hydreigon is also much much more reliable at checking Mmane than Flygon is n_n.
Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

- Now you need a ground type to block volt switches, and I 100% believe that Mamo is the best rocker on offense because of it's high atk state + priority + an absurdly broken offensive typing. Mamoswine > Azelf makes the most sense because it blocks volt switch, keeps offensive pressure up, and sets rocks.
Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

- Last but not least I'm bringing Togekiss back to put over Infernape. Togekiss is the main thing here for stall, it gives a wincon, and most importantly it makes it so you don't just take the L to Hydreigon. I went with Fight Z set here to lure shit like Empoleon and Maggron which both give you quite a bit of trouble atm.
Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

A couple of other small changes I made, I gave Starmie Rapid Spin > Ice Beam to give removal for the team and also gave it LO to keep the pressure up while freeing up the Z slot for Togekiss. I also made the Scizor spread bulkier to more reliably check shit like Latias. Other than that I'm liking the team, it has a pretty shaky Suicune matchup overall but I think it can work. Lmk if you have any questions :), gl mang.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Starmie @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Togekiss @ Fightinium Z
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Aura Sphere
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
- Fire Blast

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

This team seems to have trouble with calm mind raikou. Advice for dealing with that mon?

Edit: it seems to have trouble with most mons that have high sp def and good offense (sylveon, etc).

Last edited:

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
This team seems to have trouble with calm mind raikou. Advice for dealing with that mon?

Edit: it seems to have trouble with most mons that have high sp def and good offense (sylveon, etc).
You’re right Raikou is definitely a threat, just chipping it with rocks and uturn/volt switch until it’s into ice shard range is probably your best bet. As for Sylveon, you have Scizor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)