A few server problems

I'm here speaking on the behalf of the PokeCommunity server, because we have been getting some problems lately. First off, after updating to the newer server files, the battles stopped functioning. The only thing visible in battles is an unusable "Join battle" button. Cathy gave us some advice a few days ago about reverting back to the default server files, which was done twice. The custom server files used previously had barely any changes done to them. Those include minor edits to chat-commands.js, NU Doubles being added to formats.js, and PU changed so that it has an available ladder. I doubt that would have done anything to mess up the server, but they have been replaced with the default files just to be sure.

Additionally, our server doesn't have its user count displayed on pokemonshowdown.com. Our server host claims to have the serverid set as "pokecommunity," so it should work as a result.

We also have a similar problem to the one listed in the FAQ (Q: It says "Ladder (probably) updated, but score could not be retrieved (error: socket hangup / corruption)"! Did Pokemon Showdown just cheat me of my points?). However, it never updates for us at all. The ladder rankings did work last January, but before that we got disconnection errors. Now we receive the message shown in the FAQ.

Well, that is all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
I had the same problem with regards to battles not working on my local server. Tell whoever hosts the server to update Node.js to the latest version (v0.8.21). That cleared up the issue for me. As you said, the custom edits to the server shouldn't affect how it works if it was working fine before recent updates.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Both your usercount not updating and your ladder not working are (very likely) caused by the same issue, namely not specifying `serverid` correctly in config.js. You should modify config/config.js to specify
Code:
// The server ID - a unique ID describing this Showdown server
exports.serverid = 'pokecommunity';
rather than the default value of 'testserver', and then restart your server. After you do this, your usercount will appear on the index in less than 10 minutes.

Cathy

Banned deucer.
Regarding battles not working, it turns out a specific change recently broke compatibility with versions of node older than 0.7.1 (released January 23, 2012). However, I have just pushed a commit that fixes this issue for those ancient versions of node. So you should be able to update to the latest version of the Pokemon Showdown server now and it will work on your current version of node without having to upgrade node.js.

That said, upgrading node.js wouldn't be a bad idea if you are inclined to do it.

Both your usercount not updating and your ladder not working are (very likely) caused by the same issue, namely not specifying `serverid` correctly in config.js. You should modify config/config.js to specify
Code:
rather than the default value of 'testserver', and then restart your server. After you do this, your usercount will appear on the index in less than 10 minutes.
Our config file specifies 'pokecommunity' and was, at one point, showing up properly on pokemonshowdown home page.
Code:
// The server port - the port to run Pokemon Showdown under
exports.port = 8000;

// The setuid user - if you're using a port below 1024, you probably want to run
//   PS as root and set this to an unprivileged user
exports.setuid = '';

// protocol - WebSockets ("ws") or Socket.IO ("io").
//	We recommend using WebSockets unless you have a really compelling reason not to.
exports.protocol = 'ws';

// The server token - to access the login database and ladder on pokemonshowdown.com
//   This token must be registered for accessing the ladder, but you will
//   still be able to login with an unregistered token.
exports.servertoken = etc.......
The ladder, as far as I know has never worked correctly for us. Not sure about the user counts.

Regarding battles not working, it turns out a specific change recently broke compatibility with versions of node older than 0.7.1 (released January 23, 2012). However, I have just pushed a commit that fixes this issue for those ancient versions of node. So you should be able to update to the latest version of the Pokemon Showdown server now and it will work on your current version of node without having to upgrade node.js.

That said, upgrading node.js wouldn't be a bad idea if you are inclined to do it.
We'll update the server files, for now.. and maybe look into updating node (once we figure out how to)

Thanks for your helps and all that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)