Other A guide to hyper offense in Gen 6 OU

Is hyper-offense more viable or less viable than it was last gen?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Although the biggest loss for hyper offense IMO is the buff to defog and nerfing of suicide leads, I do believe that sticky web is a great boon. The bad distribution of the move actually works in HO's favor: nearly all the pokes that use it are frail and do not fit on stall or balanced teams (I mean, shuckle is pretty bulky, but really? Shuckle?). This pretty much guarantees that if a sticky webber lands a spot on a team, it usually does so on a HO team.

Although the biggest loss for hyper offense IMO is the buff to defog and nerfing of suicide leads, I do believe that sticky web is a great boon. The bad distribution of the move actually works in HO's favor: nearly all the pokes that use it are frail and do not fit on stall or balanced teams (I mean, shuckle is pretty bulky, but really? Shuckle?). This pretty much guarantees that if a sticky webber lands a spot on a team, it usually does so on a HO team.
oh yeah Defog hurts which is why DeoSharp exists

A guide to HO in OU:

Lol that's 4/6 of my team (although in my defense I'm not using Deoxys-S as a lead or Genesect with a scarf).
Anyway, something I've found to be really effective is a sort of pseudo-HO with one bulky pivot that can switch in a few times to save stuff from being revenge killed. Ideally this pivot also provides some kind of team support (stealth rock, defog, screens) and has at least decent offensive presence. U-turn is nice too.

Lol that's 4/6 of my team (although in my defense I'm not using Deoxys-S as a lead or Genesect with a scarf).
Anyway, something I've found to be really effective is a sort of pseudo-HO with one bulky pivot that can switch in a few times to save stuff from being revenge killed. Ideally this pivot also provides some kind of team support (stealth rock, defog, screens) and has at least decent offensive presence. U-turn is nice too.
So.... Landorus-T? Because that's what you just described. Tornadus-T is also a good option for Knock Off support (the Speed and Regenerator help).

And perhaps you may want to mention specifically about some pivots, which is rather important when it comes to grabbing momentum, good pivots includes sth like Genesect.
Finally did this. Sorry I didn't think so much of it when i first read your post. Anyway, have a look at the new pivots section and let me know what you think :3

Please get rid of every single mention of Sylveon and Rhyperior, they belong on Bulky offense and balance teams, if at all, Not HO teams. HO teams need support and you nailed what they need with everything else in the support/pivot section but if your running HO with a cleric your doing it wrong.

also Mention Staraptor in the Dual Bird Core section, if anything its better than MegaPinsir (Or can be used in tandem with it for a triple bird core which still works exceedingly well) in the role they play, Cleaning/weakening counters for a Talon sweep. in fact you can run any combination of the three and have great success. that said the OP has gotten a bit better but it still a ways away from being a guide to HO.

I know this is kind of a throwback to 4th gen but...
Running gyrados and electivire you can bait out rotom w and gain huge momentum with motor driver electivire
It seems really obvious but people fall for it all day it's great
Just a HO Core that could possibly deserve mention

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Rotom is just going to burn you regardless, especially since Electrivire can't really touch it.

So.... Landorus-T? Because that's what you just described. Tornadus-T is also a good option for Knock Off support (the Speed and Regenerator help).
Landorust-T is great, but I've also used Celebi and I'm guessing that Rotom-W and Jirachi would be effective too. I'm sure there's other stuff, those are just the first that come to mind.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Make this a bit neater. It's pretty sloppy and hard to read, which is horrible considering what this is geared towards: newer players.

In fact, it's so unappealing that I haven't read it, sorry! :(

Fix this and I'll be happy to contribute to discussion.

I advise adding Mega Charizard X as a sweeper, as it has fantastic two-move coverage with Dragon Dance and a Tough Claws boost to both its STABs. The standard set works fine (Dragon Dance/Fire Punch/Roost/Dragon Claw and minor variations).

Also, genesect isn't a pivot, as its way to frail to actually switch into anything. Access to U-turn doesn't necessarily make something a pivot.

Also, genesect isn't a pivot, as its way to frail to actually switch into anything. Access to U-turn doesn't necessarily make something a pivot.
Its an offensive pivot you could use as a revenge killer or u turn out of a situation it doesnt like and keep the momentum going

A pivot is a Pokemon that is generally only used for switching. Due to good defensive stats and a solid defensive typing, they can usually take little damage as they switch in, and the opposing switch they force allows the player to switch again safely to another Pokemon. An offensive pivot will force a switch by threatening KO on the opponent, thus obtaining momentum, whereas a defensive pivot will be difficult to break past, and thus will slow the opponent's momentum.
Even offensive pivots manage to switch in to a certain type of attacker. Genesect doesn't want to be switching into any attacking moves at all. That's not to say that Genesect isn't a great pokemon that can create momentum easily, its just not really a pivot. I would classify it more as a revenge killer (at least the scarf set).

Hi, maybe you can add Latias as an offensive support ( with healing wish ) :

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Healing Wish

She can also run defog if needed. The fact is, she is more usefull than a cleric in a HO team as unless most of clerics she has a very good speed and keep the opponent under pressure with two powerful stab.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
Rotom, Landorus-T, Sylveon, and Rhyperior honestly DO NOT belong on Hyper Offense teams - HO teams rely on a combination of offensive ability and Speed, and Rotom / Landorus-T are much more suited towards Bulky Offense / Balanced teams, Sylveon is definitely more for balanced / stall teams, and Rhyperior... just... yeah it's not Hyper Offense - it's slow and is bulky offense.

Hyper Offense rarely runs support Pokemon, outside of hazards and maybe screens, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyper Offense teams don't really utilize pivots either - they depend more on clever double switching and forcing switches with offensive pressure to maintain good matchups. I think you should redefine Hyper Offense (you're really thinking of standard offense), and perhaps clean up the thread a little bit.

Rotom, Landorus-T, Sylveon, and Rhyperior honestly DO NOT belong on Hyper Offense teams - HO teams rely on a combination of offensive ability and Speed, and Rotom / Landorus-T are much more suited towards Bulky Offense / Balanced teams, Sylveon is definitely more for balanced / stall teams, and Rhyperior... just... yeah it's not Hyper Offense - it's slow and is bulky offense.

Hyper Offense rarely runs support Pokemon, outside of hazards and maybe screens, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Hyper Offense teams don't really utilize pivots either - they depend more on clever double switching and forcing switches with offensive pressure to maintain good matchups. I think you should redefine Hyper Offense (you're really thinking of standard offense), and perhaps clean up the thread a little bit.
Removed the bulky sweepers section as it was kinda empty and pontless. Removed Sylveon from pivot section. Yes pivots are used but they are also considered sweepers and perform both roles well.

Offensive pivots still are important even on HO teams, as its impossible to maintain good matchups the entire match. HO teams are OK with sacking mons, but you don't want to have to do so every time something comes in to revenge kill. Landorus-T, Aegislash, and even Rotom-W are some good examples of offensive pivots. However, you are right in that HO teams do rely more on switching into resisted and not effective moves more-so than dedicated counters than other playstyles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)