A New Challenge - Wonderlocke+

I've seen this idea lying around I suppose I'll bring it to Smogon.

What is a Wonderlocke? Simple it is a playthrough of the games Pokemon X & Y only using wonder traded Pokemon with the same rules of a Nuzlocke.

(I've decided to add my own spin to this, kinda)
Rules
-Chosen Nuzlocke rules
-Your Starter and gifted Pokemon can be Wonder Traded if you want, but not necessary.
-After catching a wild Pokemon you must go to wonder trade and trade it
-You may only trade in-game using your wonder traded Pokemon
-Pokemon received via Wonder Trade are all given 1 re-roll; the ability to send the Pokemon back once should you not want it. However the Pokemon received will not have the same privilege.
-If you receive a Pokemon of the same species you may reroll until you do not have duo Pokemon. This is optional and you may have the same species in a party.

Extra Rules
*All the rules are optional and things I developed off the top of my head*

-Exp Share turned off while inside a Gym
-Have at least 12 Pokemon and do a team Roulette: Ask a friend or fellow Smogoner to pick numbers between 1-12 and the Pokemon in the designated box slot will be used.
-Once a day battle with one of your friends (Standard Level 50 6v6). Should your Pokemon faint this does not count.
-God's Will....If a member dies send it to the great Wonder Trade sky and receive a new Pokemon. Pokemon received this way will not get rerolled unless of the same species as an existing party member.
-All gifted/starter Pokemon must be nicknamed if possible.
-TM Moves not allowed.
-Heart Scale is not allowed.
-Pokemon received via Wonder Trade with nicknames do not receive rerolls under any circumstances.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yeah I saw this idea floating around somewhere and I really like it! Except I would play it exactly like a regular Nuzlocke, where you can only catch the first Pokemon you encounter in a route, then I would send that off via Wonder Trade. The beauty of WT is the complete randomness can open up some potentially awesome teams (and horrible ones). There may have to be a clause for way over-levelled things you get so they don't turn it into easy mode (trade you Bunnelby and get an Axew w/ Dragon Rage = gg first gym), or you could just roll with it. Overall, can't wait to try this!

edit: oh my glob 200 posts(!)

Last edited:
I've essentially been doing this on X and after getting a bunch of 1st gen starters decided to make it a gen 1 only run as well.

The problem I can see is trading away your first caught mon and ending up with a level 30+ before the first gym, pretty common with people trading junk safari mons. Other than that you'll get breeding spitbacks which while brilliant early on (I got Petal Dance Bulbasaur before the first gym and even with the type disadvantage was able to steam roll it) when you can afford to baby them a little, late game a breeding reject isn't going to be of any sort of immediate use (I got Adamant Technician Scyther around Frost Cavern)

Rerolls are definitely needed to make it enjoyable in-case you get a particularly bad run of Flabee

I'll probably give it a more serious try once bank is out and I can transfer some of the gems I've gotten when trading EVERYTHING I've caught in game.

I came up with a different version of the wonderlocke you posted. It follows the rules of a regular nuzlocke, but it has a special twist. Whenever a pokemon dies, you have to wonder trade it and either wonder trade a pokemon you caught, or release a wonder traded pokemon. If a wonder traded pokemon dies, then you have to release it, and you still have to either release/wonder trade another pokemon.

There is also the option of hard mode, if a pokemon dies, you have to wonder trade/release the pokemon that died, and wonder trade/release your highest level pokemon. If your highest level pokemon dies, then you have to wonder trade/release your second highest level.

I am going through one right now, and I made it to the place to catch yvetal, but I have to train before I try to go in and catch it. If you have any questions you can ask me.

Me I cryed when my macoke died against Norman's slaking but linoone avenged him she was the strongest on my team untill she pat away when.fighting Steven that's also how I lost my explode

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)