NOC a nice basic game of actual mafia - game over - won by the Mafia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will post the next game after I get home and write the intro

Edit: welp, Neighborhood Noc is up. Probs not going to be as fun as this though, also WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO first mafia win (and first game as mafia as well)

Last edited:

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
re Haruno post. Actually the only one I didn't read on is trop, not Aubisio. I was also first to call out Aubisio lol cos it was painfully obvious when I tried to sheet everything. Aubisio read was worth my time actually compiling stuff. My method of reading I forced myself to have a high certainty and minimal degree of error that I think was reasonable before I was certain on them. I settled on DLE/Haruno/Aubisio since D2 already, through the reads of Empoof/Jalmont, and my own reads that DLE's posts made no sense to me as a villager. I wrote a lengthy post after my exam but had to delete cos after deadline lol. Speaking of which I never quite caught the deadline of this game, probably converted timezones wrongly and had no clue when days actually ended lols so I got a little confused there. If I made it in time for D2 dl, probably I would have convinced more people but w/evs.

On hindsight I probably should have stayed low for D2 and only push for my 3/4 reads on D3 knowing that my timing is pretty disadvantageous to myself since I cannot react to anything that happens, and there's a limit to how much I can try to pre-answer any obvious doubts etc, which would leave whatever I say with plenty of exploits given how rushed it was. I think I actually wanted to stay alive till D3 or more when I could get the fourth read but I don't remember who started the lynch train on me, and I probably felt like it was going to happen no matter what so I had to be contend with 3 reads before dying. Pretty sure that even if I didn't die to a D3 lynch, I'd be killed N3 unless Mafia had a role kill in sights, and no one is going to BG me for sure lols.

Good pressure by Mafia to force my plays out early and really bad timing by me and giving myself no room to properly explain everything, which made my reads regardless of accuracy moot if I don't get the chance to use them. Will keep in mind never to say before hand that I won't be meeting deadlines lol because it's something that can be easily exploited, regardless if it was the other faction's decision to do so. Thought it was okay to placate the rest of my absence but guess it doesn't matter.

In fact I missed the whole Empoof lynch train :| I personally didn't feel like he was that suicidal imo, but whichever it is, Empoof left behind sufficient information for me to work with and base off. I don't think many people even bothered looking back at what Empoof said that much and just glanced over it, which is partly why I see mislynches being bad if people aren't going to exploit mislynches to their fullest. I initially did not want to dwell on Empoof reads too early because it'll make me a threat to mafia while looking mafia to the town, and wanted to wait till I got the fourth read if I could. Too bad that didn't work out and mafia figured out I'm actually a threat :0 I suppose that may be a good thing but I didn't manage to fully capitalize on that *sighs*

As much as I played pretty badly D1 (D0? idk?), couldn't see the opening for me to do what I wanted to, and was pretty sure I was going to die, so I just wanted to be able to convey whatever I had in the rush >_> I saw myself on the same boat as Whydon, a card that Mafia would easily use whenever they liked, given how bad our reputation were and how the town were easily swayed, so yea whatever I say won't have much substance especially since we both claim (rightfully) noob town haha. Doesn't help when the guy who made so many dumb things actually get the most reads while claiming to be bad at reading. Honestly though I had zero reads D1 and it magically became 3 reads D2 lols.

First NOC and overall I still have less than 5 games in total. I think I learned quite a lot, and I was pretty clueless D1 and stuff lols. One cycle was quite enough to grasp and there were helpful users like Empoof around explaining stuff *during* the game itself iirc. I don't think there was any way for me to redeem other than getting a four read-essay post out which wasn't too far away :( But it's good experience~

re: Somewhatoddish, yea the lynch on me annoyed me since I can't carry out my plan to 4 read. I know for sure there was no way for me to avoid that lynch, so don't feel bad for lynching me if you didn't wagon and had your own purpose for doing so. Wagons are the worst and a very lazy way to play the game and mostly just results in bad things happening for town, imo anyway. You did what you thought was good for yourself, which I think is perfectly fine and what everyone should be doing.

The thing with calling out DLE though, is that you must be absolutely certain when you want to do it. I raised suspicions publicly like early D2 or something in hopes that wagons started by him never happen. If you want to call out DLE, you absolutely have to convince majority of town. Otherwise, all I see happening is you getting silenced by mafia as what happened with Empoof/Jalmont(I think he did call DLE out? can't rmb)/me.

I don't think there was ever a point in time where everyone was sufficiently suspicious of DLE to raise that lynch, so attempting to do so would just likely get yourself killed, and what more as a non-vanilla. It's not *too* bad to not call out DLE, but as long as anyone tried to do so before their predicted deaths so that it would have a larger impact on the remaining people. Mafia basically just kept silencing people here and there quickly such that DLE was never called out enough.

--

While I played pretty badly aside from having accurate reads as my only saving grace, I'm satisfied with how I played since I know my own approach for win condition since D2 even if it never happened. Most importantly learned a lot even if it was only 2 cycles lol.

Also trop was so weird I had no idea how to read her even if she looked mafia to other players :S she just looked confusing as heck to me LOL. Personally I think she played fine, but that might be due to my own style getting completely countered by her randomness.

And thanks Walrein for hosting and pluff too for her awesome flavor text ! :D

Tbh I think because I was such a noob and DLE initially seemed so helpful, I clung to the idea of him being town and sort of didn't want to believe he was mafia, even if I suspected it. You can see at various points in the game where I look to DLE for guidance

Da Letter El what'd you think of the game?

pancake

movement and location
is a Contributor Alumnus
GODDAMNIT SHUB. ;__________; My reads were PERFECT but you didn't trust me enough. we had the win. :((((((((((((((

edit: this being said, v close game, I wish more people trusted me but oh well :) well played

good hosting walrein, good flavor jumpluff :ok_hand:

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Tbh I think because I was such a noob and DLE initially seemed so helpful, I clung to the idea of him being town and sort of didn't want to believe he was mafia, even if I suspected it. You can see at various points in the game where I look to DLE for guidance

Da Letter El what'd you think of the game?
The village had a lot of players who were good at projecting town (oddish, twin, pancake, king, shrewz when shrewz got to post more than 3 lines) which makes it really hard for the mafia.

I had a lot of fun early on while people were a bit more active; it was a challenge to look townie in a game where I knew I would be alive for a long time. I also got the sense that newer players in this game for the most part were improving as the game went on, which was pretty nice to watch, but I benefited immensely from players being a bit too afraid to voice early hunches (sandshrewz post hit on this pretty well -- it's scary to scumread someone more experienced)

I think village trusted my reads too much even though not everyone trusted me personally. I was the first to articulate scumreads on empoof/aubisio (although jalmont had them first he didn't really articulate them), I provided a big push on the sandshrewz vote, and I kept saying former hope's later posts were scummy when they were sooooooooooooo towny it felt dirty. But it felt like a lot of the village sort of looked to me to reads even while acknowledging I might not be town.

Also the spreadsheet read tropius had was actually a read I had because someone used it in a dailymafia game I was in and it was a really good read lol, I feel bad that everyone crapped on that read because new scum really don't tend to put in effort into organizing thoughts and reads

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
Thanks to Josh, Haruno, Aubisio and tropiusisbae for being fun teammates to work with; I enjoyed talking through with all of you on mafia strategy, even at the times when I was super stressed out and confused on what to do next lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)