Gen 4 AQUEMINI

Pideous

World Defender
AQUEMINI

So the idea behind this team was using focus sash swords dance Gliscor on a hyper offence as a lure to bulky waters/ insurance against basically every offensive threat not named Bronzong. Gliscor is naturally immune to spikes and sand, which makes preserving a sash into a midgame or even endgame scenario a reasonable prospect if rocks are denied. However, since I am running sash Gliscor on an all out hyper offence, it will be tough to win if rocks go up, crippling not just Gliscor but also the staple Dragonite and Gyarados. To this end a taunt lead is a natural choice, to deny rocks against slower rockers and start the game off with a rocks advantage. The primary choice for this role is obviously Azelf, but since this team goes all in on stealth rock weakness, the chance of letting rocks go up from scarf Tyranitar and especially other Azelf would be unacceptable. Enter Aerodactyl - deny opposing rocks, get rocks up, set up x5, win.

Return of the G (Aerodactyl) @ Lum Berry :Aerodactyl:
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 128 HP / 236 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
They'd rather be bouncing and shooting and killing and bouncing and shit, get down

I was complaining to BluBirD about the matchup Aerodactyl has against body slam Jirachi when he mentioned this tech - lum berry on lead Aerodactyl. At first glance it seems insane to drop focus sash, but investing in bulk with a safety net against status actually gives Aerodactyl a much more well rounded matchup spread. It loses the ability to pivot out against a bullet punch from Metagross and serve as a sac later (which is especially valuable in playing around explosion), but gains the crucial ability to consistently come out on top against Jirachi, getting to use both taunt and stealth rock off before going down. Focus sash has utility in a few other lead matchups as well, such as Empoleon, Gyarados, Zapdos, Latias and Dragonite. However, it is not of crucial importance to the flow of this team that Aerodactyl can survive a hit from these leads, since with the exception of Empoleon, they can neither set up stealth rock, nor deny Aerodactyl from doing so. And Empoleon has aqua jet anyway. This spread outruns scarf Tyranitar and maximises physical bulk, always surviving two crunches from said jolly Tyranitar or a waterfall from non-choice banded Swampert.

Rosa Parks (Tyranitar) @ Chople Berry :Tyranitar:
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 40 HP / 196 Atk / 24 SpD / 248 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Fire Punch
- Aqua Tail
- Dragon Dance
Ah ha, hush that fuss, everybody move to the back of the bus

DDTar is broken. Chople berry is the item of choice to survive mach punch from Breloom, even after some chip. Adamant because I’m greedy. Also because chople helps the gar matchup (and I have pursuit Scizor). Adamant improves a lot of rolls, such as against opposing Tyranitar and Heatran, which are pretty likely to drop after rocks at +1. However, being slower than Latias, Gengar, Starmie and Scarf Magnezone at +1 isn’t exactly ideal, and Jolly may be safer. This spread lives Gyarados waterfall after rocks and +1 Suicune hydro pump from full, and outruns base 100s at +1.

Aquemini (Gyarados) @ Leftovers :Gyarados:
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 224 Atk / 196 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Double-Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
Nothing is for sure, nothing is for certain, nothing lasts forever

Wacan berry Gyarados usually pairs beautifully with lead Aerodactyl, but in this case since I decided on lum for Aerodactyl, the lead Metagross matchup looks pretty grim. With substitute, Gyarados can bait out the explosion without forcing me to sac a mon immediately. This spread ensures the substitute survives against 0 attack Jirachi body slam and intimidated Machamp dynamic punch. Gyarados is also never ohkod by jolly thunder punch from Flygon or Jirachi after rocks and intimidate. This speed outruns +1 base 100s at +2. The extra power of double edge compared to return can be important against targets such as bulky waters, but the recoil is notable so return may be an option.

Chonkyfire (Dragonite) @ Lum Berry :Dragonite:
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 56 HP / 248 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fire Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance
We reign, reign supreme, ‘preme, dungeon, dungeon kings

Not a lot of room for creativity here, I think this team really wants the priority of extreme speed, and can’t afford to let Dragonite get walled by Bronzong and Skarmory so fire punch is obligatory. Also helps deal with pokemon like Breloom without locking into outrage. Earthquake would be much appreciated against Empoleon, Tyranitar and Heatran though. Lum seems like the best choice for Jirachi paralysis, outrage confusion, Rotom burn and Breloom sleep. This spread lives Jirachi ice punch from full and hits the same speed as Gyarados.

Dopaliscious (Scizor) @ Life Orb :Scizor:
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Swords Dance
So now you back in the trap just that, trapped

Offensive sd Scizor is one of my favourite sweepers and boosted bullet punch is super threatening, especially to frailer offences. Strong priority really helps a team like this to revenge kill offensive threats without losing too much momentum. Technician pursuit compresses the ability to trap hp ice locked scarf Rotom with coverage against defensive Rotom, a common answer to SD Scizor which gets annihilated by +2 pursuit after rocks. Luring wisp Rotom/ trapping scarf Rotom is especially useful for opening up Gyarados and Gliscor later on.

Liberation (Gliscor) @ Focus Sash :Gliscor:
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance
There’s a fine line between love and hate you see

Not always the star of the show, but definitely the defining feature of this team. Sash Gliscor offers a really unique kind of support to this kind of hyper offence. One big advantage of sash on sd gliscor is in luring Gliscor's usual counters, such as Suicune, Starmie and Swampert, to switch in as Gliscor boosts, and take them out with a boosted earthquake while taking whatever ice or water move they go for. Surviving a hit from a pokemon like Latias or Zapdos can also be important. The other situation focus sash shines in is when an opposing sweeper such as Empoleon, Gyarados, Dragonite, Tyranitar or Metagross manages to boost and threatens to clean house or cause major damage. The ability to live any hit from full provides a flexible answer to a variety of such threats depending on the game state, an exceptional trait for a pokemon which keeps up offensive pressure as well as Gliscor.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-605275 - I made the mistake of letting Gyarados set up a DD on Aero (the bulk had revealed that it couldn’t outrun +1 Gyara), but sash Gliscor keeps it in check.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-605266 - Sub Gyara turning the lead Metagross matchup in my favour.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-605249 - Sash Gliscor taking out Latias. I really love how even at 1 hp Gliscor can punish Thunderbolt locks.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-605276 - Lum Aero is cool, and the triple dragon dance core is as strong as ever at wearing down shared checks.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-605514 - Suicune is a huge threat to this team for sure. Rock tomb Aero helps to beat it down in this case. Scizor should have been my Skarmory response, not Tyranitar, and this game quickly became an uphill struggle.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen4ou-605272 - Gliscor wins at 1hp!

Top threats:

Suicune :Suicune: - Probably the worst matchup for this team, offensive Suicune is really tough to beat. Gliscor ideally gets to smack it with a boosted earthquake, but it’s generally going to put this team on the back foot with ease.

Bronzong :Bronzong: - Hard/ impossible to prevent it from getting rocks up, and it isn’t going to crumple to boosted hits (outside of Scizor superpower), so it can usually trade with a threat of their choice. At least Scizor can trade with trick room sets, but it can be a hard matchup. The same is potentially true of Metagross, but lead sets are often not inclined to run stealth rocks, and it lacks an immunity to earthquake.

Rotom :Rotom: - Scarfed sets obviously pose a problem with the ability to take out boosted sweepers, and boast a resistance/ immunity to all of the priority on this team. However, whatever move it locks into can be abused by something on this team. Bulky wisp sets are even worse, since wisp is so free against this team, and Tyranitar doesn’t even have a lum berry. Lum Dragonite and pursuit Scizor are my saving grace in this matchup (and dodging wisp is always a good play).

Empoleon :Empoleon: - Specifically at lead, it has a good matchup into Aero which puts the team at a disadvantage early. I prefer earthquake turn one, thinking that if they get stealth rocks up, at least I threaten to ko next turn/ can get my own rocks. If they just hydro pump then at least I can probably deny rocks for the rest of the game.

Stealth Rocks - The main weakness of the team is of course stealth rocks - this team is designed to keep them off early and win quickly. If that strategy fails, the team will probably lose. Such is the nature of hyper offence, especially one as all in as this.

AQUEMINI

This team is super fun, so feel free to try it, and share your feedback. Thanks for reading!

Giyu

Tomioka
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogon
I don't play Gen 4 too much but one thing I noticed is an apparent weakness to Ice-Types. You have 4 Flying-Types, 2 of which are 4x weak to it, and only one Pokemon that resists it. Once your Scizor is dead, you could have a big issue facing Mamoswine, Weavile, Froslass, and Abomasnow. This means that if your opponent uses Magnet Pull Magnezone with Hidden Power Fire, your team essentially gets swept by any of the 4 Pokemon above.

Pideous

World Defender
I don't play Gen 4 too much but one thing I noticed is an apparent weakness to Ice-Types. You have 4 Flying-Types, 2 of which are 4x weak to it, and only one Pokemon that resists it. Once your Scizor is dead, you could have a big issue facing Mamoswine, Weavile, Froslass, and Abomasnow. This means that if your opponent uses Magnet Pull Magnezone with Hidden Power Fire, your team essentially gets swept by any of the 4 Pokemon above.
Thanks for the feedback! About some of the ice types though - Froslass isn't gonna sweep the team, it's really just a suicide lead for spikes. Weavile kinda sucks in general, so it's not something to be afraid of. Aside from Scizor, Gyarados will beat it and Gliscor can trade with it if need be. Abomasnow is scarier, and handles Gliscor really well, but it doesn't switch into double edge Gyarados, it's slower than Tyranitar, and it needs Scizor removed.

Mamoswine on the other hand can definitely be a hard matchup if Magnezone gets Scizor, although I at least have Gyarados. Yache is probably worth considering on Dragonite, but in my opinion Mamoswine isn't quite common enough to influence that decision too much. You are definitely right that it's a threat though.

Jeong

Banned deucer.
Hi,
Gyarados is well posed with sub to cover Aero from Metagross or even zong to force the explosion. Maybe Lum Berry/Wacan makes more sense with Sash/Power Herb on Aero, but I like your structure better.

You mention the Yache nite option but I was thinking of trying Gliscor instead although that means losing the sash/wow factor. They are a few changes that may improve some results.

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly
Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance

I see good leaving Nite with Lum to absorb Spore from Loom for example. Well, these HP ev's with Yache support allow you to survive Ice Punch DD Adamant Ttar. In case it's Jolly you can survive +2 in an extreme case and finish off with EQ. The change of nature is mainly due to Jolly Lucario, especially if it also has Ice Punch. It can even help you vs Scarf version.

Pideous

World Defender
Hi,
Gyarados is well posed with sub to cover Aero from Metagross or even zong to force the explosion. Maybe Lum Berry/Wacan makes more sense with Sash/Power Herb on Aero, but I like your structure better.

You mention the Yache nite option but I was thinking of trying Gliscor instead although that means losing the sash/wow factor. They are a few changes that may improve some results.

Gliscor @ Yache Berry
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Jolly
Nature
- Earthquake
- Thunder Fang
- Ice Fang
- Swords Dance

I see good leaving Nite with Lum to absorb Spore from Loom for example. Well, these HP ev's with Yache support allow you to survive Ice Punch DD Adamant Ttar. In case it's Jolly you can survive +2 in an extreme case and finish off with EQ. The change of nature is mainly due to Jolly Lucario, especially if it also has Ice Punch. It can even help you vs Scarf version.
Jolly Gliscor seems like it could also help a little with offensive Suicune, and potentially even with mixed Jirachi sets (which can be very scary). The power loss is a shame (you lose rolls like chances to ohko Tyranitar after rocks or ohko full health Gyarados), but I will definitely try it, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)