SM OU Banded Ash Greninja Balanced - SM OU

Hello everyone,

I tried to make a team based around banded Ash-Greninja. This is the second team I built and I tried to put in a banded Greninja since its attack stat is not bad at all and because it is not that popular to use. Hopefully, some of you can give me some feedback on how to improve the team.

greninja-ash.gif

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Band
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- U-turn
- Ice Punch
- Gunk Shot

I chose an all attack move set without dark STAB or spikes which would be normal on a specs set. In Ash-form Greninja reaches a 389 attack stat if it is jolly. The ice punch is for grass types while the gunk shot is for the fairies. Banded u-turns hit hard and banded waterfalls 2HKO's AV Magearna. Any ideas on how to improve this set? The mon has difficulties with dealing with steel types or Toxapex. Therefore I added the following mons.

heatran.gif

Heatran @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power

Heatran is there to put pressure on mons (mostly steel types) like Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, Magearna, defensive Tangrowth, Celesteela etc. I like the lava plume over Fire Blast/Magma Storm because I don't want to miss. Max Sp. Atk Corkscrew Crashes can punish incoming Lando's or Latios's. I hesitated between Earth Power and Taunt. However, I didn't want other Heatran to come in on mine so Earth Power stayed in its move set. Heatran does just as Ash-Gren not deal with Toxapex. Therefore the next mon

gliscor.gif

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off

I chose for a defog Sp. Def. Gliscor on the team. A Toxapex' scald does a little more than 30% to Gliscor. If Gliscor is toxiced it can come in freely on Pex and attack, or Defog away its toxic spikes or other hazards on the field. It counters "stally mons" because it can heal much in a turn with the Poison Heal and Roost. What could be helpful on this team is a toxic user which connects really well to this Gliscor set. The EV's are the standard Smogon EV's.
tangrowth.gif

Tangrowth @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Lax Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Tangrowth is the other defensive backbone of the team. Where AV Tangrowth is popular in the meta, I prefer extremely defensive Rocky Helmet Tangrowth. It counters Kartana with who the team had difficulties after it set up and it can chip away a lot of Phy. Atk. Pokemon. Incoming Ferrothorns or a Scizor that try to set up can be punished with HP Fire. Leech Seed can annoy counters that switch in.
tapulele.gif

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Ball

The team needed a revanche killer/speed control/late game cleaner. Therefore I added scarfed Tapu Lele. The team until this far is great in chipping away the health of the other team while staying alive itself. A scarfed Lele can be nice on after a U-Turn/double switch or faint of a Pokemon to deal massive damage. It is just a standard scarfed Lele. Besides that, the terrain can be helpful against for example Pinsir/Zygarde/Mawile.
medicham-mega.gif

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Ice Punch

To round of the team, I chose a Mega Medicham. Depending on the team matchup it wrecks other teams or it does way too little. Under Psychic Terrain, Zen Headbutts hit like a truck just as High Jump Kicks (even on resists). I primarily use it just to hit mons and get damage of. I know the fake out is cancelled out by the Psychic Terrain, but this was only a few times considerably a problem. This mon is, in my opinion, the most debated of the team, however sometimes it wins me games.

I would like to hear what I can improve. My EV spreads are for example quite standard, how can I improve those? Do you think that some mons should be swapped out for others? Let me know :)! I always have trouble with Hawlucha+Tapu teams (I really hate that kind of teams). What can I do to improve that weakness? If you would like to use the team, you can copy it down below:

https://pastebin.com/gp0byZRk

Hope to here from you all!

Jesparrow

Banded Greninja-Ash? Can it even reliably get KO's without extensive team support in base forme? Medicham-Mega is definitely a formidable wallbreaker to help it in this department. But honestly, I don't see the usefulness of going physical - the surprise effect is good, but Waterfall isn't an especially awesome attack. You also miss out on Water Shuriken, an important move from Greninja-Ash that becomes easily spammable after getting a KO... but then again it would not work with your Tapu Lele. This team needs a lot of work in my opinion, perhaps it's much better than I think as I haven't playtest it but on theory these are potential downfalls.

I would strongly advise running spikes on that Gren. Not only is it just a really damn useful utility move, but it lets you bluff Specs for longer.

Alright I have a couple suggestions
1. You use gliscor to deal with "stallier" mons. If that is the case I would recommend taunt over knock as it allows you to deal with those mons easier. Running u-turn is an option as well if you want to keep up momentum.
2. Hawlucha can easily 6-0 this team. I think zapdos is an option for the team as it still counters kartana. This also alllows you to run SR on gliscor then free up a move slot on heatran so it can be taunt and kinda be a really good stallbreaker

Overall, its a cool team and banded gren should be able to catch things off guard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)