SM RU Batphone

Batphone

Hi, this is my 3rd RMT of SM/USM RU which I've decided to make. I felt compelled to make this coming off the completion of my snake run, because I feel it is an accurate representation of the metagame, and I feel this team is one of the most consistent builds I've constructed. I've been using this team for a while, before the recent drop shifts, but the functionality of the team is fortunately almost completely unimpaired by them, and thus I feel it is an excellent team worth sharing. I think this team is a good example of how more offensively oriented teams in the meta can structure around Mega Blastoise, which many have been complaining about recently, and I think this build is a good counterpoint. Anyhow, onto the team.

Virizion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

The first member of the offenisve core is SD Virizion. While many other sets, such as Calm Mind, Substitute, and Synthesis variants have risen to prominence, it is my view that this is still the most consistent of the sets, and Stone Edges still is a valuable asset in hitting targets such as Noivern, which otherwise essentially neutralize Virizion's breaking efficacy as a whole. That being said Synthesis used over Stone Edge is a viable option, as well as Substitute, for helping Virizion to serve as an extra pivot and making breaking easier versus non Noivern teams respectively. The rest of the set is fairly explanatory, with SD + Dual STABS to break. Fightinium's increased power benefit verus targets like Arcanine and Bronzong generally outweigh the type advantage of hitting stuff like Cresselia harder Grassium might confer, but really its a matter of preference since most MU's in the tier could swing either way to favor it holding Grassium/Fightinium, especially with month to month metagame trends.

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Zap Cannon

Slowking is the next member, an option that has been gaining traction on a lot of builds for a while but I feel is still underutilized. While it is vulnerable to pursuit trapping, status, and getting its health worn down switching into hazards, it has phenomenal special bulk, able to tank +2 Salazzle Z Move as well as 2 Blastoise Dark Pulses while OHKO'ing and 2HKO'ing them back easily. Zap Cannon in conjunction with Grass Knot allows it to beat Milotic semi reliably, stop Mantine, and punish Gardevoirs pivoting in to get regenerator. Many opt for dtail + fututre sight variants, but I find Zap Cannon a much easier to fit and better punish move, despite being risky to click at times. The threat of Zap Cannon alone can make this incredibly tricky to switch into, since not much appreciates a Zap Cannon landing and doesn't fear the rest of its coverage. Slowking is able to help the team maintain offensive momentum and pressure by being able to pivot in and threaten opposing builds. It has particularly good synergy with Virizion, as Blastoise builds will think twice about Dark Pulsing a weakened Slowking, given Virizion can come in and sponge it will gaining a Justified boost.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Registeel provides a second spdef wall as well as rocker, which helps deal with Shaymin and Roserade sets, can pivot into Blastoise on Dark Pulse or Ice Beam and Toxic beat it, and in general helps cement the defensive core. The moveset is self explanatory, some evs might be divested into phys def, to help with checking things like Barbarcle in a pinch, but full spdef lends more reliable utility. Don't be afraid to trade this Registeel for others, or play it aggressively to get rocks up, depending on its utility. Otherwise, it can be preserved as a lategame wincon, as Gligar and Slowking both can status things that the opposing team would otherwise rely on to check it, and many teams have limited ways of offensively checking Registeel.

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

I'm a big fan of Blastoise + other water cores on non Milotic teams, and in general Blastoise is almost too good not to use on this type of build. Substitute over 3 Attacks Blasoise is used here to make core breaking a bit easier, verus Bronzong/Registeel builds, and too punish pivoting around on Mega Blastoise, however Ice Beam can be substituted at the pleasure of the team's user. Despite Defog being incorporated later on in the team, Spin is kept on the moveset to make hazard removal more robust, which greatly eases the burden on Slowking being able to regenerate the most health, as well as stuff like Registeel coming in. Like Substitute, however, it could be replaced with an alternative coverage option. Blasotise should be used to pressure and break down the opposing team, while being able to keep hazards off through most of the game through the Substitute + Spin combination. In some mathchups, Blastoise's health may require more careful safeguarding, so keep that in mind.

Drapion @ Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Initially scorned, Drapion use has gained more and more legitimacy as the generation has passed, and justifiably, since even a relatively strong pursuit remains one of the most valuable assets in this metagame. Choice Band Drapion is employed on this team as a means of trapping Roserade, which otherwise proves problematic with the HP Ice + Spikes + Leaf Storm set, as well providing a way to check and OHKO SD Toxicroak, hence the choice of Earthquake in the last slot. Otherwise, spamming Knock Off can help by removing things like Gligar's Eviolite, which paves the way for Virizion to win in the lategame, or removing Milotic's leftovers, which pressures it to recover much more often, and makes it easier for Slowking to win out versus it. Otherwise, it can be used to aggressively pursuit chip whatever is needed.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Gligar is used in the final slot to help round out the defensive core, checking things like Zydoge, non-sub physical Virizion, Tyrantrum, Doublade, and a handful of other physical attackers that threaten the team. It also provides a secondary source of hazard removal, which in conjunction with Blastoise makes it possible to keep the field clear throughout the majority of games. Toxic is used over the more oft popular u-turn to better check mons like Virizion, as well as punishing waters like Blastoise, Mantine, or Slowking that come in on it. Otherwise, the rest of its coverage is standard, and the joint special walls of Slowking + Registeel allow it to comfortably invest fully in its Defense.

Endnotes
Thanks for reading the RMT, especially if you actually read it. I hope this illustrates a fairly dynamic balance, which is capable of adapting to elements in the metagame such as Mega Blastoise while retaining offensive mobility. The team, while having a substantial defensive core, is best when played aggressively in my opinion so that's something to keep in mind in game. Like all builds in this metagame, which arguably has one too many threats, its going to have its weaknesses, but it comes equipped with the tools to handle most of them if you play well, and it comes with its share of highly advantageous matchups as well, especially versus more generic looking balance squads. Please ban Shaymin and Barbarcle. Pce. :toast:

Virizion @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 160 SpA / 80 SpD / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Fire Blast
- Grass Knot
- Zap Cannon

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Protect

Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Aura Sphere

Drapion @ Choice Band
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)