Project Break This Team: USUM UU Edition [Week 71 - Submissions]

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Adaam

It is incredibly easy for Taunt Krookodile to get up rocks vs that team. Even sacking it to Diancie, or getting them up vs opposing Krookodile. Nasty Plot Celebi needs 1 boost with its current set to win. The Z-Move blows back Empoleon, and +2 Stabs beat and outspeed everything else. Scarf Krookodile can't revenge from anything over 70%, which is easy to maintain with giga drains recovery. Not to mention, even if empoleon protects, Z-earth power still does 32-38% and celebi's earthpower after does:
+2 252 SpA Celebi Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 180+ SpD Empoleon: 248-294 (66.8 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
so not only does Empoleon have to protect right, it has to get good rolls to then what? Defog? Celebi can get +4 on this even. Toxic + Protect doesn't do enough damage vs Celebi that giga drain already heals up and his opponent has to play ridiculously well to not get swept by this one mon. Adaam definitely wins

Accel

thanks for the memories
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congrats to Adaam for winning this week in a dominant fashion with his Celebi + Krookodile submission!

Adaam - 7
DraconicLepus - 1
Smallsmallrose - 0

-------------------------------------------

This week's team has been provided by the one and only 1Surgeon. Thank you!

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Silvally-Steel @ Steel Memory
Ability: RKS System
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Parting Shot
- Defog
- Toxic

Krookodile @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- U-turn

Cobalion @ Rocky Helmet
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch

Point of this team was to abuse Future Sight Slowbro by pairing it with Pokemon that force tons of switch ins and keep up momentum such as Terrak, Silvally, Moltres, etc. Protect Terrakion was the first Pokemon that came in mind to me as it threatens half of the tier, including pretty much any Dark-type. Besides forcing the opponent from taking Future Sight damage, Protect is also cool to scout for CB Scizor which almost always U-turns / doubles out scared to stay in vs Moltres. I chose Silvally as the Steel because I really didn't want to lose momentum (although Roar Empo also sounded neat on paper but Parting Shot is superior imo as far as forcing switches + keeping up momentum). Just paired it with Krook since you can't go wrong with Krook + Steel. Moltres keeps Scizor in check and can also forces tons of switch ins, and can just U-turn out as foes take a bunch of residual damage. I picked RH Coba as the last since I needed a rocker that didn't lose momentum and could sponge hits from CB Scizor, as I found Moltres with only one fogger kind of unreliable as a sole Scizor answer. Rocky Helmet allows the team to punish it as it U-turns, so it seemed like the best option.

Please remember to submit your cores by Thursday, and as always, remember to have fun!

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Foul Play

I sought to break this team defensively, since the team tries to break stall with Future Sight + CB Terrakion. Umbreon walls Moltres and is the perfect Future Sight sponge with its immunity, and it can use Protect to stop Terrakion from attacking it. Furthermore, Mega Slowbro is the best defensive answer to Terrakion, and it also gets the benefit of walling and setting up on Cobalion and Krookodile. In fact, after one CM, the team relies on Toxic Sylvally to break Slowbro-Mega, but it simply gets chipped by Scald while Umbreon removes the status. I think these two Pokemon alone are enough to snuff this team's offensive approach.

Rotom-heat gen 7.gif
Doublade.gif

Rotom-Heat @ Firium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

So lately, I've been liking pain split Z-move Rotom. Mostly for it's ability to not get pressured by Krook outside of stone edge, and to blow through various bulky mons that give it trouble like Hippo. It pressures Slowbro with it's electric STAB, forces Krook to click stone edge, and checks Moltres on top. Doublade is a mon that resists both Terrak, AND Future Sight. Its a primary reason I wanted it picked for this, as resisting the combination of future sight and Terrakion is difficult, but not for Doublade! It can also pressure Bro if it SDs, and completely walls Terrak, Coba, and Steelvally too. Its only threatened by Krook and Moltres (And a Bro scald I suppose, but you wouldn't set up on it unless you have to and you threaten the Bro if you're already at +2) and Rotom walls a non-edging Krook, (But what Krook is clicking edge on Doublade) Steelvally, and Moltres. Overall, this core provides both an offensive and defensive nuisance to this team if played well, I hope you all like it!

Last edited:
moltres.gif
hydreigon.gif

Moltres @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Pressure
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast
- Agility
- Roost

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Moltres, especially with Agility, pretty much smashes this team. The only support it would need is a way to get in, which can be rough (especially since its Volt Switch Cobalion). That's where I come to my partner, Hydreigon, which only has 2 (reliable) switch ins on this team: Cobalion and Steelvally. Hydreigon U-Turns on both of them and gets Moltres in to sweep. Pretty self-explanatory, really.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Ok for one i thought of this like right now so it's more of a "throw something togoether" but it still works. The main pokemon i saw that can really give this team trouble is crawdaunt, and htough it doesnt get much to switch in besides slowbro, if its allowed to get in safely, whether from a sack or from u-turn, which comes to the partner scizor, which this team can also struggle with besides moltres being the main switchin, so together i feel they pressured the team very well.

This week's though. The team can't really break through Umby + Mega Bro, while the team's flying resist / Hydreigon answer is basically nonexistant, expecially since u-turns on Coba.
Hydra can't really come in though besides a predicted volt switch on Coba's part; twave on bro severely punishes it too. Although it's true that Moltres can set up on choice locked Krook and basically sweep with an Agility up expecially if stuff is chipped and hurricane hits Bro/Terrak, I feel like the team can't really break through Adaam's core, expecially since Terrakion is holding a LO and gets therefore chipped easier.

Therefore my vote goes to Adaam.

Surgeon

venice bitch
is a Contributor Alumnus
Adaam's core is the best and most reliable - team relies on toxic to beat mbro, just like he said and umbreon nullifies that weakness + umbreon's immune to future sigh.

Agility moltres will very rarely single-handedly beat this team, since once the z-move is burnt through bro/sylv, terrak or krook can revenge kill it (bro as well depending on the amount of hp) + it only set ups on a locked krook into eq/pursuit which you can get away with not clicking in a lot of matchups (hydrei helps w/ that but it still has a hard time sweeping). z pain split rotom sounds cool since its harder to wear down but I feel like once rocks go up and in between voltturn damage and krook, this team would have the upper hand. Obviously depends on his fogger but this is about the core, and I wouldn't say it breaks this team. Last core relies on zor clicking superpower vs coba against a moltres build to have a chance to win. -1

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Random Battle Lead
In a landslide victory, Adaam takes the win once again, showing he's really very good at breaking things.

Adaam - 7
Juuno - 1

----------------------------------------------------

Our next team comes from Guy Who Got Pretty Far In UU Open, itsjustdrew!

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword

Nihilego @ Black Sludge
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 72 HP / 8 Def / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray
- Power Gem
- Pain Split

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Scald

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Encore
- Air Slash
- Roost

Starmie @ Waterium Z
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

I wanted to build some anti-offense, so I went with Doublade because Terrakion is literally a monster. Next I chose Nihilego as a Flying resist that can pressure opposing mons with Toxic Spikes to help Doublade sweep. Pain Split and Acid Spray allows it to 1v1 Blissey. I needed a Scald switch-in, so I chose Suicune to maintain the theme of bulky yet offensive Pokemon. Suicune also synergized well with Doublade, stomaching Ground- and Fire-type attacks. I chose Togekiss as my Fairy-type and used Encore to lock Defoggers into Defog and to generally screw with my opponent. I wanted an offensive spinner, so I chose Z-Move Starmie, which easily claims kills with Analytic-boosted Hydro Vortex. Last but not least I chose Mega Steelix, an amazing anti-offense mon that is great for role compression. Ground-type, Steel-type, rocker, check to Z Lati, boom all in one mon.

Please get your submissions in by Thursday, as usual.

Terrakion.png
Empoleon.png

Terrakion @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Toxic
- Roar

While Doublade is a fine Terrakion answer with the right support, this team has very little to punish Band Terrak from taking massive bites out of the swords with earthquake. For my next member, I wanted something that could stop Togekiss from punishing Terrak in this manner. Empoleon is an amazing pick not just because it handles Toge, but because this team as a whole is very lacking in ways to break it. The only methods this team has to beating Empoleon are two steels, Steelix-Mega and Doublade, which while they can hit it super effectively, neither of them are keen to take the 1v1 and can lose easily to scald burns. Empoleon scares Doublade and Steelix out of taking the 1v1 with it while consistently walling Nihilego, Suicune, Starmie, and Togekiss. Band Terrakion also handles this team very well once Doublade is chipped down, and/or predicts it well and Earthquakes. Even if Starmie comes in to revenge Terrak, Empoleon can quickly shut it down by pivoting in, letting Terrak fight another day and claim another KO every time it comes in.

Last edited:

Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Solar Power
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb

Toxicroak @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Anticipation
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Drain Punch

Alright, so when first looking at this team, something that this team HATES to switch into is this scary dog mega houndoom. It can easily take on all 6 mons if it is able to get a nasty plot boost, the only pokemon really threatening to switch into it is Suicune. Toxicroak is one of the few counters to suicune, and can a also deal with the team very well if some of the pokemon get weakened. These two together could very easily dismantle the team as one is able to weaken something for the other.

Notily

dirt rich

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

Rotom-Mow @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Thunderbolt

tried and true voltturn core. once this core gets initiative it gets real hard for drew's team to get it back without significant risk or sacking a mon. mowtom for the most part forcing out mlix due to there being no cleric and bee absorbing tspikes means the hazard war is in your favour. not much to it, brainless voltturn is brainless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)