Ability: Thick Fat
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head
- Heat Crash / Fire Punch
- Darkest Lariat / Thunder Punch

Assault Vest Snorlax has risen to prominence recently due to its great special bulk and the lack of good Fighting-types in the BSS metagame. Body Slam is the STAB move of choice, spreading paralysis while also being useful support for Snorlax after Dynamaxing as Max Strike . Steel- and Fire-type coverage in Iron Head and Heat Crash serve to hit the likes of Mimikyu, Corviknight, and Ferrothorn. Do note that Heat Crash fails to hit Dynamaxed Pokemon, so Fire Punch is an option if you want to avoid awkward matchups against Dynamaxed Steel-types like Excadrill. The choice between Darkest Lariat and Thunder Punch depends on whether you'd prefer hitting Ghost-types such as Dragapult or Water-types such as Gyarados and Lapras super effectively. Snorlax struggles with Fighting-types and Pokemon with Fighting-type coverage such as Conkeldurr and Galarian Darmanitan, so teammates such as Togekiss and Mimikyu make great partners.

Last edited:
Reactions: pqs

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I still think it's impossible to accurately cover BSS Snorlax with just one set but with only one set I don't think I'd choose Chesto Rest, it's not a particularly common Snorlax set. Curse variants normally run a pinch berry (Figy, etc) with 3 attacks, or Recycle rather than Rest. I talked about it about with greilmercenary9 though and we think that AV Thick Fat Snorlax would be a better representative set, something like this:

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Yawn support, Curse and Belly Drum sets are also equally good and have a million options each but AV is probably the most "common" set since it takes advantage of the fact Snorlax is just so bulky, as well as the fact that the best Fighting-type in the meta is Galarian Darmanitan (which is to say, Fighting-types mostly suck). I'd note the downsides of the weight-based moves vs Iron Head/Fire Punch as well, since Dynamax being immune to them can lead to awkward scenarios such as Dynamax Excadrill walling Snorlax.

Of course, this is also one of the few Snorlax sets that gets no benefit from the G-Max form, but the Speed drop from Max Strike can be useful support anyway so no reason not to use regular Snorlax here.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
I would clarify that lack of Fighting-types is why Snorlax is so strong in general, rather than why AV specifically is good. It does contribute indirectly to the fact that Snorlax is very tough to take down 1v1 though, which is what makes AV and Thick Fat strong here. I'd also include Lapras as a target for Thunder Punch.

Togekiss is an amazing teammate for Snorlax, but it's often not that bulky so I'd clarify that a bit. It and Mimikyu are both very common teammates for Snorlax largely because they heavily discourage people from bringing Conkeldurr.

Otherwise this looks good enough to me, QC 1/1

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Body Slam
- Iron Head

Assault Vest Snorlax has risen to prominence recently due to its great special bulk and the lack of good Fighting-types in the BSS metagame. Body Slam is the STAB move of choice, spreading paralysis, along with being Useful Support when Dynamaxed while also being useful support for Snorlax after Dynamaxing as Max Strike (mentioned max strike to imply that's where the "useful support" comes from, according to the qc check). Steel- and Fire-type coverage in Iron Head and Heat Crash serve to hit the likes of Mimikyu, Corviknight, and Ferrothorn. Do note that Heat Crash fails to hit Dynamaxed Pokemon, so Fire Punch is an option if you want to avoid awkward matchups against Dynamaxed Steel-types like Excadrill. The Choice of choice between Darkest Lariat and Thunder Punch depends on whether you'd prefer hitting Ghost-types such as Dragapult, (RC) or Water Types Water-types such as Gyarados and Lapras, (RC) Super-Effectively super effectively. Snorlax does struggles with Fighting-types and Pokemon with Fighting-type coverage such as Conkeldurr and Galarian Darmanitan, so teammates such as Togekiss and Mimikyu make great Partners partners.
1/1 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)