Status
Not open for further replies.

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/calyrex-ice:

[Overview]

Thanks to a sky-high Attack stat coupled with an amazing offensive typing, Calyrex-I has cemented itself as one of the scariest physical wallbreakers in the metagame. Its great bulk ensures that it can take a solid amount of hits, even the occasional super effective one if needed. With a wide movepool and diverse set options, Calyrex-I is versatile as well, making it unpredictable and able to take advantage of its checks depending on the set. However, a poor defensive typing heavily offsets its great bulk, giving it no relevant resistances and many common weaknesses such as Steel, Dark, Fire, and Ghost. Despite them having different roles, it faces competition from the superior, metagame-warping Calyrex-S because both formes can't be run on the same team. It is also vulnerable to chip damage from entry hazards, hindering its ability to come in and out of the game to wallbreak.

[SET]
name: SubSeed
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Glacial Lance
move 3: Swords Dance
move 4: Leech Seed
item: Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: As One (Glastrier)
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

This set can take advantage of standard Calyrex-I checks such as Ho-Oh and defensive Necrozma-DM. Substitute eases prediction by allowing Calyrex-I to take advantage of forced switches, as well as letting it snowball late-game through passive Pokemon such as Blissey. Glacial Lance provides solid neutral coverage as Calyrex-I's sole attacking move. Swords Dance makes Calyrex-I more threatening and helps it break past Pokemon such as Necrozma-DM. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-I to passively pressure its few switch-ins while maintaining its health. Leftovers stacks nicely with Leech Seed and lets Calyrex-I set more Substitutes, while Heavy-Duty Boots is especially useful for its Stealth Rock weakness. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment allow it to outspeed uninvested base 90s like Ho-Oh and defensive Kyogre, while maximum Attack investment helps for defensive Ho-Oh.

Calyrex-I is capable of taking advantage of Necrozma-DM and Ho-Oh switch-ins by slowly sapping their health. Teammates such as Geomancy Xerneas greatly appreciate these shared checks weakened. In return, it can take advantage of Yveltal, a potent and popular offensive check to Calyrex-I. A Defogger such as Yveltal or Ho-Oh is greatly appreciated, especially with variants that run Leftovers. They can also further weaken Necrozma-DM with Knock Off or status, respectively. Defensive Dragon-types such as Eternatus and Zygarde can switch into threatening Dark- and Ghost-types such as Yveltal, Urshifu-S, and Marshadow lacking Ice Punch. Eternatus can also, along with Ferrothorn and Blissey, switch into Kyogre, which can otherwise tank hits from Calyrex-I very well. They also provide entry hazard support, which makes it even easier for Calyrex-I to wear down its checks.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Glacial Lance
move 2: High Horsepower
move 3: Trick
move 4: Aromatherapy / Icicle Spear
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

Calyrex-I makes for a great physical wallbreaker that has very few switch-ins, paving the way for sweepers like Xerneas. High Horsepower is the strongest move Calyrex-I has to hit Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM. Trick cripples possible switch-ins like defensive Ho-Oh and Lunala and allows Calyrex-I to switch moves if the higher power is no longer needed. Aromatherapy provides utility after using Trick, and it can even be used with Choice Band in a pinch. Icicle Spear is useful for breaking Substitutes from Pokemon like Zekrom and Zygarde-C.

As Calyrex-I hates entry hazards, Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and defensive Xerneas support it well; Yveltal also provides momentum in the form of a slow U-turn. A switch-in to Ghost- and Dark-types that force Calyrex-I out, such as Yveltal or Xerneas, is appreciated. In return, Calyrex-I is able to pressure their switch-ins, Eternatus and Necrozma-DM, sufficiently. Offensive partners such as Xerneas appreciate their shared checks such as Ho-Oh and Necrozma-DM being weakened. Eternatus is a solid blanket check to Ho-Oh, Kyogre, and Marshadow, which all force Calyrex-I out if it predicts incorrectly.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

An offensive Trick Room set with Life Orb, Lum Berry, or Weakness Policy can be run in order to take advantage of faster checks such as Calyrex-S and offensive Necrozma-DM, but it lacks the snowball potential of SubSeed. A set consisting of Substitute, Iron Defense, and Body Press can make for a powerful wincon, but it is much harder to fit on most teams and often relies solely on its surprise factor. Swords Dance + Agility makes Calyrex-I a strong sweeper, and, combined with its natural bulk, it is easily capable of finding opportunities to set up. However, it fails to outspeed threats such as Calyrex-S at +2 and requires multiple turns to set up. Close Combat is able to hit Ferrothorn harder than anything else Calyrex-I commonly runs. However, it is weaker against Necrozma-DM. Seed Bomb is useful for hitting Kyogre, but it hits nothing else and can be easily taken advantage of if locked into.

Checks and Counters
====

**Super Effective STAB Moves**: While its bulk is great enough to survive many neutral and super effective hits, Calyrex-I greatly fears users of super effective STAB moves. Marshadow can steal possible boosts from Calyrex-I and revenge kill it without an issue. Offensive variants of Yveltal and Ho-Oh have no problem using Knock Off or Sacred Fire, respectively, to stop Calyrex-I in its tracks. Its own cousin, Calyrex-S, can use a Choice Specs-boosted Astral Barrage to cleanly dispose of Calyrex-I. All of these are outsped in Trick Room; however, Yveltal and Marshadow can still use Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, respectively.

**Necrozma-DM**: With a bit of Speed investment, defensive Necrozma-DM can effectively handle all Calyrex-I variants thanks to Prism Armor, apart from the rare Substitute + Iron Defense one. It can constantly heal against SubSeed Calyrex-I thanks to its lower overall power while setting entry hazards, inflicting status on it, and chipping it with Sunsteel Strike and possible Rocky Helmet damage. Facing a Choice Band Calyrex-I is a bit harder, but the constant Rocky Helmet damage will eventually wear Calyrex-I down.

**Kyogre**: With its solid bulk and Ice resistance, Kyogre can check, or even counter, Calyrex-I with both offensive and defensive sets. Choice Specs and Choice Scarf variants will almost always OHKO with a full health Water Spout, while defensive variants can always break a Calyrex-I Substitute, even outside of rain. It only fears a Trick or the rare Seed Bomb.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock heavily cuts into Calyrex-I's HP every time it comes in, mandating Defog support. Toxic Spikes chip damage is also an annoyance. Heavy-Duty Boots sets do not have this problem, although they have to watch out for Knock Off.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Heracross2.0, 414072]]
- Quality checked by: [[SiTuM, 274590], [Fc, 511624]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [Estronic, 240732]]

Last edited:

SiTuM

destined for greatness
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
  • However, a poor defensive typing heavily offsets its otherwise great bulk, giving it no relevant resistances and many common weaknesses such as Steel-, Dark-, and Fire-type weaknesses.
also ghost, because of calyrex-s and marshadow

• A switchin to Fire-types, such as Kyogre or Eternatus, helps Calyrex-Ice out as it is forced out by many of them.
this is not really relevant. the only viable fire type in ubers is ho-oh. i'd say a switch in to ghost or dark types is what's really needed, so something like yveltal or xerneas

[SET]
name: Trick Room
move 3: Close Combat / Heavy Slam
move 4: Trick Room
item: Heavy-Duty Boots / Lum Berry
nature: Brave
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
ivs: 0 Spe
i'm not sure at all about that set. close combat isn't "easy to click", as it doesn't hit anything correctly besides ferro, and heavy slam seems redondant with what glacial lance can already do to xern. the third moveslot should be seed bomb, an actual good coverage, since it allows calyrex to hit kyogre, which is one of the only mon that can reliably check calyrex. (it can also ohko quag and gastrodon but thats not rly relevant)

i would also like to see a mention of life orb in the items, which makes calyrex hit way harder, allowing features like this:
252+ Atk Life Orb Calyrex-Ice Glacial Lance vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Zacian: 321-380 (98.7 - 116.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Calyrex-Ice Glacial Lance vs. 240 HP / 252+ Def Groudon: 413-486 (102.9 - 121.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Calyrex-Ice Glacial Lance vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 447-530 (110.6 - 131.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Calyrex-Ice Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Kyogre: 322-382 (94.4 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

• A set consisting of Substitute, Iron Defense, and Body Press can make for a powerful win condition, but is much harder to fit on most teams and often relies solely on a surprise factor.
you can also mention a sub sd set (sub/sd/glacial lance/leech seed), and a dd set (sd/agility/glacial lance/high horsepower)

QC 1/2

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
Hi, after discussing with the QC team about this we've decided that the set Situm added above (sub sd leech glacial) is worth much more than an OO spot, and should probably be the first set above CB due to its consistency and strengths. It's a new set but has already proved it's really solid and we wanna reflect that here. As a consequence removing trick room as a main set is also needed. TR is just fairly bad in the meta and unreliable, struggling to break most checks while not having any strong hard hitting gimmick like sub sd or band. OTR is definitely an OO mention, as it still has merit, but we'd like to see the sets switched up before qc 2. I've added a few things about the CB set below also, so ping me when this set change and the ones for CB and the checks and counters sections are implemented and I'll take another look at it
Calyrex-Ice @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: As One (Glastrier)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

(Jolly outruns uninvested base 90's which can be important in the Ho-Oh mu since that can actually pivot on leech against this set unlike banded which almost ohko's as well as not getting glare'd if someone has to sack a zygarde to para this)
High Horsepower is the strongest move Calyrex-Ice has to hit Steel-types such as Necromaza-Dusk Mane. Trick cripples possible switchins like defensive Ho-oh and Lunala, making them unable to use their respective items while often giving Calyrex-Ice a useful one. Aromatherapy provides utility after Calyrex-Ice has Tricked away its Choice Band, and can even be used with a Choice Band in a pinch. Icicle Spear is useful for breaking Substitutes from Pokemon like Zekrom and Zygarde-C so they don't setup on it. Choice Band augments its power to the highest possible level.
  • I'd give a quick intro sentence as to what this mon's role is in the meta, being a strong physical breaker that has limited switch ins. Nothing huge but just a small overview to this specific set.

• For the part about trick you don't have to say "their respective items" since ho-oh and lunala both run boots on the defensive variants mentioned, so you can just clean that up a bit.

• I wouldn't really say zyg and zek set up on caly either, since they don't have pressure to stall glacial lance pp and can only sub so many times, maybe just say so they can't get a free hit off behind a sub unpunished or something similar.

As Calyrex-Ice hates entry hazards, Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and defensive Xerneas can safely remove entry hazards, Yveltal also provide momentum in the form of a slow U-Turn. A switchin to Ghost- and Dark-types, such as Yveltal or Xerneas, is appreciated by Calyrex-Ice, as it is forced out by many of them. In return, Calyrex-Ice is able to pressure their switchins, Zacian and Necromaza-Dusk Mane, sufficently.
  • This feels a little barebones, I'd like to see some more offensive teammates that benefit. You mention xerneas defensively but I'd also give a shout to caly baiting ho-oh pivots and ndm with huge damage to free up geo variants and also Zacian offensively. Zacian also likes its ability to take out tang and amoonguss.

• Mention Kyogre in the checks and counters section in its own spot, arguably the best Calyrex-I counter.

Last edited:

Hera

PUPL Champion
Hi, after discussing with the QC team about this we've decided that the set Situm added above (sub sd leech glacial) is worth much more than an OO spot, and should probably be the first set above CB due to its consistency and strengths. It's a new set but has already proved it's really solid and we wanna reflect that here. As a consequence removing trick room as a main set is also needed. TR is just fairly bad in the meta and unreliable, struggling to break most checks while not having any strong hard hitting gimmick like sub sd or band. OTR is definitely an OO mention, as it still has merit, but we'd like to see the sets switched up before qc 2. I've added a few things about the CB set below also, so ping me when this set change and the ones for CB and the checks and counters sections are implemented and I'll take another look at it
Calyrex-Ice @ Leftovers / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: As One (Glastrier)
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Glacial Lance
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

(Jolly outruns uninvested base 90's which can be important in the Ho-Oh mu since that can actually pivot on leech against this set unlike banded which almost ohko's as well as not getting glare'd if someone has to sack a zygarde to para this)
  • I'd give a quick intro sentence as to what this mon's role is in the meta, being a strong physical breaker that has limited switch ins. Nothing huge but just a small overview to this specific set.

• For the part about trick you don't have to say "their respective items" since ho-oh and lunala both run boots on the defensive variants mentioned, so you can just clean that up a bit.

• I wouldn't really say zyg and zek set up on caly either, since they don't have pressure to stall glacial lance pp and can only sub so many times, maybe just say so they can't get a free hit off behind a sub unpunished or something similar.

• This feels a little barebones, I'd like to see some more offensive teammates that benefit. You mention xerneas defensively but I'd also give a shout to caly baiting ho-oh pivots and ndm with huge damage to free up geo variants and also Zacian offensively. Zacian also likes its ability to take out tang and amoonguss.

• Mention Kyogre in the checks and counters section in its own spot, arguably the best Calyrex-I counter.
All of it has been implemented.

Fc

Waiting for something to happen?
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a defending SCL Champion
Ubers Leader
[SET]
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe

A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment outspeed uninvested base 90s like Ho-oh and defensive Kyorge, while maximum HP investment ensures a Seismic Toss or Night Shade will never break a Substitute.
This was my bad with the paste but put 252 attack instead of HP, reason being Night Shade doesn't exist for the most part and stoss Blissey is just set up fodder anyway, justification can be the attack being a good roll to OHKO Ho-Oh at +2 and even stuff like bulky cm ogre at +6
Calyrex-Ice is capable of taking advantage of Necromaza-Dusk Mane and Ho-oh switchins by slowly sapping their health. Teammates such as Geomancy Xerneas and Zacian greatly appreciate these Pokemon weakened, as it makes it easier for them to break through these shared checks. In return, they can take advantage of Yveltal, an otherwise potent and popular offensive check to Calyrex-Ice. A Defogger such as Yveltal or Ho-oh is greatly appreciated, especially with variants that run Leftovers. They can also further weaken Necromaza-Dusk Mane with Knock Off or status, respectively.
Give mentions to defensive dragons like etern and zyg for their ability to switch into Yveltal, Marshadow, Urshifu, etc that threaten super hard without a sub up. Similarly mention Ferrothorn, Blissey, and Etern for Kyogre which walls pretty well, mentioning their hazard game with spikes / rocks / tspikes respectively to chip that and other walls since this set can't nuke things in 1 turn as well as CB can

As Calyrex-Ice hates entry hazards, Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and defensive Xerneas can safely remove entry hazards, Yveltal also provide momentum in the form of a slow U-Turn. A switchin to Ghost- and Dark-types, such as Yveltal or Xerneas, is appreciated by Calyrex-Ice, as it is forced out by many of them. In return, Calyrex-Ice is able to pressure their switchins, Zacian and Necromaza-Dusk Mane, sufficently. Offensive partners such as Zacian and Xerneas appreciate their shared checks such as Ho-oh and Necromaza-Dusk Mane being weakened.
Similarly mention etern here, how it eases prediction by covering for caly if it doesn't predict right against smth like Ho-Oh or gets forced out by like Kyogre / marsh

However, it fails to outspeed threats such as Calyrex-Shadow and Jolly Zacian at +2 and requires multiple turns to sufficiently setup.
It hits 436 speed at +2 with Jolly which does outrun Zacian, remove this mention

QC 2/2 with this
Stamp.gif

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Combo check by Light Sanctity and I

Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC): Add Comment

[Overview]

Thanks to a sky-high Attack stat coupled with an amazing offensive typing, Calyrex-Ice has cemented itself as one of the scariest physical wallbreakers in the tier. Its great 100/150/130 bulk ensures that it can take a solid amount of hits, even the occasional super effective (removed hyphen) one if needed. With a wide movepool and diverse set options, Calyrex-Ice is versatile as well, being an unpredictable threat capable of taking unpredictable and able to take advantage of its checks depending on the set. However, a poor defensive typing heavily offsets its otherwise great bulk, giving it no relevant resistances and many common weaknesses such as Steel-, Dark-, Fire-, and Ghost-type weaknesses. Despite Steel, Dark, Fire, and Ghost. Despite them having different roles, it faces competition from its superior cousin Calyrex-Shadow due to the latter's metagame warping presence and inability to run both Calyrex forms on the superior, metagame-warping Calyrex-S because both formes can't be run on the same team. It is also vulnerable to chip damage from entry hazards, hindering its ability to come in and out of the game to wallbreak.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

This set is capable of taking can take advantage of otherwise standard Calyrex-Ice checks such as Ho-Oh and defensive Necromaza-Dusk Mane. Necrozma-DM. Substitute eases prediction by allowing Calyrex-Ice to take advantage of forced switches, as well as letting it snowball lategame against late-game through passive Pokemon such as Blissey. Glacial Lance provides solid netural neutral coverage as Calyrex-Ice's sole attacking move. Swords Dance bolsters Calyrex-Ice's Attack and is useful when trying to makes Calyrex-I more threatening and helps it (I imagine "makes more threatening" makes sense?) break past Pokemon such as Necromaza-Dusk Mane Necrozma-DM. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-Ice to passively pressure its few switch-ins while maintaining its health. Leftovers pairs well with Leech Seed in order to boost the recovery Calyrex-Ice gains from Leech Seed and lets it stacks nicely with Leech Seed and lets Calyrex-I make more Subsitutes, while Heavy-Duty Boots ignores otherwise painful entry hazards damage is especially useful for its Stealth Rock weakness. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment allow it to outspeed uninvested base 90s like Ho-Oh and defensive Kyorge Kyogre, while maximum Attack investment gives good rolls helps (you could also specify like "makes 2hko more likely" if you want) for defensive Ho-Oh.

Calyrex-Ice is capable of taking advantage of Necromaza-Dusk Mane and Ho-oh switchins Necrozma-DM and Ho-Oh switch-ins by slowly sapping their health. Teammates such as Geomancy Xerneas and Zacian greatly appreciate these Pokemon weakened, as it makes it easier for them to break through these shared checks. shared checks weakened. (if I missed something here, lmk) In return, they can take advantage of Yveltal, an otherwise potent and popular offensive check to Calyrex-Ice. A Defogger such as Yveltal or Ho-Oh is greatly appreciated, especially with variants that run Leftovers. They can also further weaken Necromaza-Dusk Mane Necrozma-DM with Knock Off or status, respectively. Defensive Dragon-types such as Eternatus and Zygarde can switch into threatening Dark- and Ghost-types such as Yveltal, Urshifu-S, and Marshadow lacking Ice Punch. Eternatus can also, along with Ferrothorn and Blissey, switch into Kyorge, who Kyogre, which can otherwise sit in front of Calyrex-Ice tank hits from Calyrex-I very well. They also provide hazards entry hazard support, which makes it even easier for Calyrex-Ice to wear down its checks.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

With its solid coverage options, Calyrex-Ice Calyrex-I (you only list one coverage option) makes for a great physical wallbreaker that has very few switch-ins, (added hyphen) paving the way for sweepers like Xerneas. High Horsepower is the strongest move Calyrex-Ice has to hit Steel-types such as Necromaza-Dusk Mane Necrozma-DM. Trick cripples possible switch-ins (added hyphen) like defensive Ho-Oh and Lunala and allows Calyrex-Ice to switch moves if the higher power is no longer needed. Aromatherapy provides utility after Calyrex-Ice has Tricked away its Choice Band, and using Trick, and it can even be used with a Choice Band in a pinch. Icicle Spear is useful for breaking Substitutes from Pokemon like Zekrom and Zygarde-C. (added period) so they don't get free hits on it. Choice Band augments its power to the highest possible level.

As Calyrex-Ice hates entry hazards, Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and defensive Xerneas can safely remove entry hazards, support it well; Yveltal also provides momentum in the form of a slow U-turn. A switch-in (added hyphen) to Ghost- and Dark-types that force Calyrex-I out, such as Yveltal or Xerneas, is appreciated by Calyrex-Ice, as it is forced out by many of them. In return, Calyrex-Ice is able to pressure their switch-ins, (added hyphen) Zacian and Necromaza-Dusk Mane Necrozma-DM, sufficently. Offensive partners such as Zacian and Xerneas appreciate their shared checks such as Ho-oh and Necromaza-Dusk Mane Ho-Oh and Necrozma-DM being weakened. Eternatus is a solid blanket check to Ho-oh, Kyorge, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, and Marshadow, who which all force Calyrex-Ice out if it predicts incorrectly.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

An Offensive Trick Room set with Life Orb, Lum Berry, or Weakness Policy can be run in order to take advantage of faster checks such as Calyrex-Shadow and offensive Necromaza-Dusk Mane. However, it lacks the immediate power of Choice Band and Calyrex-S and offensive Necrozma-DM, but it lacks the snowball potential of SubSeed. A set consisting of Substitute, Iron Defense, and Body Press can make for a powerful win condition wincon, but it is much harder to fit on most teams and often relies solely on a its surprise factor. Swords Dance + Agility makes Calyrex-Ice a strong sweeper, and, (AC) combined with its natural bulk, it is easily capable of finding opportunities to set up. (was "setup") However, it fails to outspeed threats such as Calyrex-Shadow at +2 and requires multiple turns to sufficiently setup. set up. Close Combat is able to hit Ferrothorn harder than anything else Calyrex-Ice commonly runs. However, it is weaker against Necromaza-Dusk Mane Necrozma-DM. Seed Bomb is useful for hitting Kyorge Kyogre, but hits nothing else and can be easily exploited if locked into.

Checks and Counters
====

**Faster Super-Effective STAB Users Super Effective STAB Moves**: While its bulk is great enough to survive many neutral or super effective (removed hyphen) hits, those with STAB on them pose a great threat to Calyrex-Ice. Calyrex-I greatly fears users of super effective STAB moves. (if eg "greatly" too exaggerating in new context, feel free to tinker/remove) Marshadow can steal possible boosts from Calyrex-Ice and revenge kill it without an issue. Offensive variants of Yveltal and Ho-Oh have no problem using Knock Off or Sacred Fire, respectively, to stop Calyrex-Ice in its tracks. Its own cousin, Calyrex-Shadow, can use a Choice Specs-boosted Astral Barrage to cleanly dispose of Calyrex-Ice. All of these Both are outsped in Trick Room; (added semicolon) however, although Yveltal and Marshadow can still use Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, respectively.

**Calyrex-S**: Calyrex-S can use a Choice Specs-boosted Astral Barrage to cleanly dispose of Calyrex-I. However, it is outsped in Trick Room. (feel free to tinker with or move this bullet, but astral barrage isn't a "super effective stab move")

**Necromaza-Dusk Mane Necrozma-DM**: With a bit of Speed investment, (AC) and thanks to a solid ability in Prism Armor, defensive Necromaza-Dusk Mane defensive Necrozma-DM can effectively handle all Calyrex-Ice variants thanks to Prism Armor, (AC) apart from the rare Substitute + Iron Defense one. It can constantly heal on a Calyrex-Ice against SubSeed Calyrex-I (I specified SubSeed bc otherwise its not clear until later what has lower power than what. Now, it's clear subseed has lower power overall than cb. If this is not what you meant, though, lmk and we'll find something different) thanks to its lower overall power while setting hazards, statusing it, and chipping it with Sunsteel Strike and possible Rocky Helmet damage. Facing a Choice Band Calyrex-Ice is a bit harder, but the constant Rocky Helmet damage will eventually wear Calyrex-Ice down.

**Kyorge Kyogre**: With its solid bulk and Ice resistance, both offensive and defensive variants make for great counters that can at least force Calyrex-Ice out. Kyogre can check, or even counter, Calyrex-I with both offensive and defensive sets. (if the minimum bar is just "force out", it's not always a counter) Choice Specs and Choice Scarf variants will almost always OHKO a Calyrex-Ice with a full health Water Spout, while defensive variants can always break a Calyrex-Ice Subsitute, even outside of rain. It only fears a Trick or the rare Seed Bomb.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock heavily cuts into Calyrex-Ice's bulk by taking out a quarter of its health Calyrex-I's HP every time it comes in, mandating Defog support. Toxic Spikes are chip damage is also an annoyance, as Calyrex-Ice does not appreciate the chip provided by it. Heavy-Duty Boots sets do not have this problem, although it has they have to watch out for Knock Off.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [username2, userid2]]

finland-GP.gif
1/2 let me know if any qs

Hera

PUPL Champion
**Calyrex-S**: Calyrex-S can use a Choice Specs-boosted Astral Barrage to cleanly dispose of Calyrex-I. However, it is outsped in Trick Room. (feel free to tinker with or move this bullet, but astral barrage isn't a "super effective stab move")
This point doesn't make sense to me because Astral Barrage is a super effective STAB move. Calyrex-I is part Psychic, which is weak to Ghost, which is what type Astral Barrage is. Even then i see no reason to make it a separate bullet point.

Everything else has been implemented, it's just this one point that confuses me.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This point doesn't make sense to me because Astral Barrage is a super effective STAB move. Calyrex-I is part Psychic, which is weak to Ghost, which is what type Astral Barrage is. Even then i see no reason to make it a separate bullet point.

Everything else has been implemented, it's just this one point that confuses me.
i have no idea why I thought caly-I was pure ice. please ignore that change and dont make it a separate bullet, good catch lol

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
add remove (comments)
[Overview]

Thanks to a sky-high Attack stat coupled with an amazing offensive typing, Calyrex-I has cemented itself as one of the scariest physical wallbreakers in the tier metagame. Its great bulk ensures that it can take a solid amount of hits, even the occasional super effective one if needed. With a wide movepool and diverse set options, Calyrex-I is versatile as well, unpredictable and able to take advantage of its checks depending on the set. However, a poor defensive typing heavily offsets its (spacing) great bulk, giving it no relevant resistances and many common weaknesses such as (spacing) Steel, Dark, Fire, and Ghost. Despite them having different roles, it faces competition from the superior, metagame-warping Calyrex-S because both formes can't be run on the same team. It is also vulnerable to chip damage from entry hazards, hindering its ability to come in and out of the game to wallbreak.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

This set can take advantage of standard Calyrex-I checks such as Ho-Oh and defensive Necrozma-DM. Substitute eases prediction by allowing Calyrex-I to take advantage of forced switches, as well as letting it snowball late-game through passive Pokemon such as Blissey. Glacial Lance provides solid neutral coverage as Calyrex-I's sole attacking move. Swords Dance makes Calyrex-I more threatening and helps it (spacing) break past Pokemon such as Necrozma-DM. Leech Seed allows Calyrex-I to passively pressure its few switch-ins while maintaining its health. Leftovers stacks nicely with Leech Seed and lets Calyrex-I make set more Substitutes, while Heavy-Duty Boots is especially useful for its Stealth Rock weakness. A Jolly nature and maximum Speed investment allow it to outspeed uninvested base 90s like Ho-Oh and defensive Kyogre, while maximum Attack investment helps for defensive Ho-Oh.

Calyrex-I is capable of taking advantage of Necrozma-DM and Ho-Oh switch-ins by slowly sapping their health. Teammates such as Geomancy Xerneas and Zacian greatly appreciate these shared checks weakened. In return, they can take advantage of Yveltal, a potent and popular offensive check to Calyrex-I. A Defogger such as Yveltal or Ho-Oh is greatly appreciated, especially with variants that run Leftovers. They can also further weaken Necrozma-DM with Knock Off or status, respectively. Defensive Dragon-types such as Eternatus and Zygarde can switch into threatening Dark- and Ghost-types such as Yveltal, Urshifu-S, and Marshadow lacking Ice Punch. Eternatus can also, along with Ferrothorn and Blissey, switch into Kyogre, which can otherwise tank hits from Calyrex-I very well. They also provide entry hazard support, which makes it even easier for Calyrex-I to wear down its checks.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

Calyrex-I makes for a great physical wallbreaker that has very few switch-ins, paving the way for sweepers like Xerneas. High Horsepower is the strongest move Calyrex-I has to hit Steel-types such as Necrozma-DM. Trick cripples possible switch-ins like defensive Ho-Oh and Lunala and allows Calyrex-I to switch moves if the higher power is no longer needed. Aromatherapy provides utility after using Trick, and it can even be used with Choice Band in a pinch. Icicle Spear is useful for breaking Substitutes from Pokemon like Zekrom and Zygarde-C.

As Calyrex-I hates entry hazards, Defoggers such as Ho-Oh, Yveltal, and defensive Xerneas support it well; Yveltal also provides momentum in the form of a slow U-turn. A switch-in (spacing) to Ghost- and Dark-types that force Calyrex-I out, such as Yveltal or Xerneas, is appreciated. In return, Calyrex-I is able to pressure their switch-ins, Zacian and Necrozma-DM, sufficiently. Offensive partners such as Zacian and Xerneas appreciate their shared checks such as Ho-Oh and Necrozma-DM being weakened. Eternatus is a solid blanket check to Ho-Oh, Kyogre, and Marshadow, which all force Calyrex-I out if it predicts incorrectly.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
====

An offensive Trick Room set with Life Orb, Lum Berry, or Weakness Policy can be run in order to take advantage of faster checks such as Calyrex-S and offensive Necrozma-DM, but it lacks the snowball potential of SubSeed. A set consisting of Substitute, Iron Defense, and Body Press can make for a powerful wincon, but it is much harder to fit on most teams and often relies solely on its surprise factor. Swords Dance + Agility makes Calyrex-I a strong sweeper, and, combined with its natural bulk, it is easily capable of finding opportunities to set up. However, it fails to outspeed threats such as Calyrex-S at +2 and requires multiple turns to set up. Close Combat is able to hit Ferrothorn harder than anything else Calyrex-I commonly runs. However, it is weaker against Necrozma-DM. Seed Bomb is useful for hitting Kyogre, but it hits nothing else and can be easily exploited taken advantage if locked into.

Checks and Counters
====

**Super Effective STAB Moves**: While its bulk is great enough to survive many neutral or and super effective hits, Calyrex-I greatly fears users of super effective STAB moves. Marshadow can steal possible boosts from Calyrex-I and revenge kill it without an issue. Offensive variants of Yveltal and Ho-Oh have no problem using Knock Off or Sacred Fire, respectively, to stop Calyrex-I in its tracks. Its own cousin, Calyrex-Shadow, can use a Choice Specs-boosted Astral Barrage to cleanly dispose of Calyrex-Ice. All of these are outsped in Trick Room; however, (spacing) Yveltal and Marshadow can still use Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak, respectively.

**Necrozma-DM**: With a bit of Speed investment, defensive Necrozma-DM can effectively handle all Calyrex-I variants thanks to Prism Armor, apart from the rare Substitute + Iron Defense one. It can constantly heal against SubSeed Calyrex-I thanks to its lower overall power while setting entry hazards, statusing inflicting status on it, and chipping it with Sunsteel Strike and possible Rocky Helmet damage. Facing a Choice Band Calyrex-I is a bit harder, but the constant Rocky Helmet damage will eventually wear Calyrex-I down.

**Kyogre**: With its solid bulk and Ice resistance, Kyogre can check, or even counter, Calyrex-I with both offensive and defensive sets. Choice Specs and Choice Scarf variants will almost always OHKO with a full health Water Spout, while defensive variants can always break a Calyrex-I Substitute, even outside of rain. It only fears a Trick or the rare Seed Bomb.

**Entry Hazards**: Stealth Rock heavily cuts into (spacing) Calyrex-I's HP every time it comes in, mandating Defog support. Toxic Spikes chip damage is also an annoyance. Heavy-Duty Boots sets do not have this problem, although they have to watch out for Knock Off.

[CREDITS]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429], [username2, userid2]]
2/2 :blobthumbsup:
Estronic-GP-small.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)