CAP 34 - Final Product (1.0 Release)

dex

I spoke to the devil in Miami
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
CAP 34 has left the station! CAP 34's success story honestly surprises even me. We picked an incredibly difficult concept to actualize and managed to do so with aplomb, thanks in no small part to my awesome TLT team. Choosing CAP 34's item was such a pivotal and tough task, and I truly think we came away with the best choice. While in the past I have been very adamant about my own opinions during CAP processes, I entered CAP 34 ready to be proven wrong at every stage, and you all did not disappoint. CAP 34's typing may not seem optimal for a sweeper, but Poison/Dragon has turned out to be quite the devastating combo. I thought we might get shoehorned into Punk Rock, but the CAP community showed its Pokemon intelligence once again and found a more interesting and fruitful path with Armor Tail. Stats were a similar section I thought might experience some constriction, but you all came up with some really wonderful and varied spreads, keeping true my belief that Stats is the best stage. Finally, we were able to identify precisely the moves CAP 34 needed to succeed. CAP 34 showed us the positives (and negatives) of a truly narrow concept and process, and I like to think we have all learned something valuable for future processes. I want to thank the CAP community for entrusting me with this process, especially after my previous behavior in this generation. CAP has been a very meaningful part of my life these past 4 years, and CAP 34 is just the cherry on top. However, that stuff is sappy and I will leave it for later. So, without further ado, here is CAP 34: Chuggalong!

1716236562626.png

1716236568706.png
1716236572548.png

Concept: Collector's Edition

Concept Item: Throat Spray

Typing: Dragon/Poison

Primary Ability: Armor Tail

Secondary Ability: N/A

Hidden Ability: N/A

Stats:
45 HP / 43 Atk / 117 Def / 120 SpA / 110 SpD / 115 Speed

Surf
Clanging Scales
Clangorous Soul
Flamethrower
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Encore
Taunt
Roar
Dragon Tail
Stored Power
Heal Bell
Destiny Bond
Draining Kiss
Draco Meteor
Endure
Facade
Helping Hand
Protect
Rest
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Take Down
Tera Blast

N/A

Height: 6.3 m

Weight: 201.6 kg

Color: Black

Pokedex Entries: N/A

Post-Play Lookback Results: N/A

Inaugural Battle Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9cap-2126989887 - A webs vs. HO matchup where Chuggalong's useful typing and targeted bulk really came into play on both sides as I emerged victorious!

Inaugural Battle Pastes: dex's team: https://pokepast.es/ced3317f219a79ce, SHSP's team: https://pokepast.es/635c281d79ed15bf

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
chuggalong's clangorous soul be sounding like

Ty for a great job in leading dex, it's been great to be apart of the TLT this go-around and to see you bounce back. I think we have a really neat product with potential for some really funky sets, which isn't always easy to pull off.

Cute design however where is spikes and twave
This is a Thorat Spray Clangorous Soul Pokémon
They were blacklisted because they wanted diverge from any distractions from the sweeper role and not go on the generic safe approach many other CAPs have.
Congrats on Chuggalong though !

Last edited:
As a major lurker, I saw this progress. I have learned quite a bit, and I am excited to contribute in the next CAP! 35, here we come!

modularform

formerly Salamance
I really enjoyed lurking for this process! Congrats to the TLT and the community for making Chuggalong, it's an awesome Pokemon! CHOO CHOO

i wasn't around during the creation of this CAP mon, but it seems like it'd be a bit obvious for a steam train inspired pokemon to have steam engine. or an eastern-style flying dragon pokemon to have levitate. both abilities would compliment its typing quite a lot. as for steam engine, Chuggalong's dragon typing would allow it to switch in on water and fire attacks to get the boost without perishing immediately (coalossol moment). could also use that maximized speed in conjunction with stored power to attempt a sweep upon switch in. and as a low hp last resort option, destiny bond would give it a chance for one more KO. of course, without armor tail, it'd be liable to be revenge killed by priority, namely ice shard. levitate would simply allow Chuggalong to play a bit more defensively/supportive with heal bell, taunt, or encore.

just some thoughts i had. btw, absolutely love the design. the eastern-style dragon and steam train elements were combined perfectly.

dex

I spoke to the devil in Miami
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
i wasn't around during the creation of this CAP mon, but it seems like it'd be a bit obvious for a steam train inspired pokemon to have steam engine. or an eastern-style flying dragon pokemon to have levitate. both abilities would compliment its typing quite a lot. as for steam engine, Chuggalong's dragon typing would allow it to switch in on water and fire attacks to get the boost without perishing immediately (coalossol moment). could also use that maximized speed in conjunction with stored power to attempt a sweep upon switch in. and as a low hp last resort option, destiny bond would give it a chance for one more KO. of course, without armor tail, it'd be liable to be revenge killed by priority, namely ice shard. levitate would simply allow Chuggalong to play a bit more defensively/supportive with heal bell, taunt, or encore.

just some thoughts i had. btw, absolutely love the design. the eastern-style dragon and steam train elements were combined perfectly.
CAPs are made with competitive intentions first, flavor intentions after. Each of Chuggalong's competitive attributes, ability included, were determined much before the art for it was decided. In basic terms, it had Armor Tail before it was a train. You can even look at the dates at which each poll occurred (the CAP voting subforum). It was also determined that Chuggalong would have no further competitive abilities, which those two definitely would be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)